Argosy University

Dissappointing

Former Employee - Non Teaching, Administration Position  in  Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Non Teaching, Administration Position in Eagan, MN

I worked at Argosy University

Pros

Not many - the hours were easy with no pressure to work weekends, be in early or stay late. Easy going that way. Some nice people.

Cons

Highly unorganizied and inefficient. Horrible communication. Awful payroll practices at the campus level - borderline incompetent. EDMC regional and corporate in Pittsburg, which manages/controls critical details, clearly does not value employees in any way - noncompetive pay, poor and expensive beneifts, horrific benefits communication, little to no management training, nonexistant communication. Constant change of policy and procedure in an organization that is driven by policy and procedure.
    I had an employment experience that was unethical and just not the right way to treat anyone. A series of incompetent leadership decisions. No communication or true leadership, possible outright deception and misleading discussions early in the employment relationship. I can't tell you that this was wide spread, but it did come from the highest position on campus and involved EDMC leadership.

You've got to come to a better balance of local campus control vs. corporate control. One size does not fit all in your ed systems. Employee friendly systems need to be put in place, especially in your new hire process. Be honest with your employees at all times - no games, as it is likely not a game to your employee. Your noncompetitive pay will eventualy catch up to you once the economy improves, because the other things you offer aren't that great to retain people.

No room for growth.

Current Employee - Academic Advisor
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor

I have been working at Argosy University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Payroll is consistent and employees get along.

Cons

All HR duties are outsourced. Pay freeze for the last 4 years and when it was lifted, they did not notify the staff of their annual increase which was less than 2%. There are annual lay-off's in January and July so you never know if you next on the chopping block and they would prefer to hire outside people then promote from within. Medical benefits doubled in the last year and construction companies (where you can have a limb chopped off with more liability) have cheaper coverage than a university...

Management can only do what corporate allows them to do which is minimal. Its best to work with functional departments to ensure efforts are not duplicated and promoting from within improves employee morale.

A company on difficult times.

I worked at Argosy University

Pros

For the most part, people are dedicated, knowledgeable and extremely hard working. Campus personnel go through great lengths with limited resources to meet students' needs.

Cons

The company is struggling financially. There is a lot of fear of being laid off which creates a lot of stress and has people constantly looking over their shoulder or trying to read between the lines to see if they are "next." Constant sweeping changes also create a lot of stress and panic, making life very difficult for employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Argosy University

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Seattle, WA

I worked at Argosy University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Education benefits, good location, training

Cons

Leadership is lacking, Very cut throat

Need to market to the correct polulation and pick your managers better

Some opportunities, but bureaucratic and highly political

Former Employee - Program Chair  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Program Chair in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Argosy University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have quite a bit of training and development content for employees, if you choose to take advantage of them. Compensation can be good if you are at the Executive Committee level or higher at a campus.

Cons

They are in a significant retraction mode and probably won't recover. Very high stress level for most employees except those at the top, whether campus or HQ. They'll suck the life right out of you, if you allow them.

Your business model has failed. Move toward a higher quality approach and treat your faculty better.

Look elsewhere

I have been working at Argosy University full-time

Pros

Many of the full time employees consistently have the students' best interests in mind and heart.

Cons

Too many full time employees are not required to do the work that used to be done my 2 or 3 full time people. Employees are not sufficiently appreciated or valued but are viewed as expendable and easily replaceable.

Focus on employee appreciation and creating a healthy work/life balance for full time employees

I was a student and was an adjunct instructor

I have been working at Argosy University

Pros

Love the programs and faculty.

Cons

I was waiting and waiting to teach courses and many times I was not offered a course to teach for month on in. I wish they were more professional. I am still waiting to teach courses there.

There should be more professional faculty schedulers. I am very disappointed that I was not offered courses to teach when I did such a great job there.

Top heavy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Argosy University full-time

Pros

Great people in the company at a ground level. Students and Health Science programs are very good.

Cons

Very top heavy company. Focusing on getting students to only take online courses, when students are adamantly against this. Only look at the money side of things, not the students.

Its a job to play the bills.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions  in  Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Eagan, MN

I worked at Argosy University full-time for more than a year

Pros

There really isnt anything thats a pro

Cons

poor management, what have you dont for me lately attitude, over the shoulder management

psychology diploma mill

Former Employee - Core Faculty  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Core Faculty in Dallas, TX

I worked at Argosy University full-time for more than a year

Pros

The newest campus desired to offer opportunities to applicants who might not get into other graduate programs. The campus hired excellent faculty, interesting and diverse students, ability to develop one's own syllabus and teaching style, lots of ability to interact with students.

Cons

The campus was driving the car while building it. The campus president pushed large numbers of admissions to get his bonuses knowing many students were unprepared for such a diificult educational process. The higher up management disallowed the individual campus to decide when it was ready to apply for APA approval.

Provide guidelines and support for new campuses to acquire APA approval and offer bonuses for longevity of students & fculty not admission numbers.

Worked for Argosy University? Contribute to the Community!