Argosy University

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
2.6

Craig Swenson

Very professional faculty and great degree offerings.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Argosy University offers a wonderful educational focus with their degree offerings.

Cons

Difficult to attract students wanting more of a ground campus experience.

Potential students do not like to be pressured to start before they are ready putting the Admissions Rep, needing to hit specific numbers, in a difficult ethical tightrope.

The entire time I was there, it was frustrating and awful.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have a decent salary and benefits. They also really took the time to train you on most of the job requirements. Also, the Sarasota campus did occasional events and potlucks. And when I left, the admissions team was great. My coworkers really supported each other and worked to help each other out. Most importantly, there was no "cutthroat" atmosphere in admissions...it was frowned upon to "steal" students from another admissions rep. This made it a much more collaborative environment.

Cons

There are plenty. I had a few major frustrations. One being the challenge of getting students. You never technically do any cold calling, but there are so many leads that are provided that were mistakenly made. The database of leads was ridiculous. They were having us call leads that were 5 years old (yes, you read that right). That's how bad the business was. There was such a lack of new leads that we were having to go that far back. And of course, it would be your funeral if you tried to bring up the fact that the leads were crap. You'd be spoonfed a statement like "there's no such thing as a bad lead." Absolute garbage. The other major frustration I had was the restructuring of the company. They changed the management of regions and we had a new regional manager type (I forget the actual title), who was in charge of a few of the Argosy locations. This person was awful. They used intimidation and they had absolutely no people skills at all. This person didn't like the approach of one of the admissions reps, so they sat at the AR's desk for hours one day. They also talked down to others, which was not ok. My other issue was with the employee review process. There are several competencies, like professionalism, product knowledge, student focus, and a few others. Now say that you don't hit your expected numbers. They will start to change your different competencies from "exceeds" or "meets expectations" to "below expectations." It's frustrating to be completely professional at all times and representing the company well, but as soon as you're not hitting your numbers, they might say "well, if you're not getting students, then you must not be professional." But since they can't actually fire you for not hitting your numbers, then this is how they have to do it I suppose. Ridiculous.

Stop using fear tactics to manage others, and treat them with respect. Also, the whole slideshow presentation given to students is not working.

I was a student and was an adjunct instructor

I have been working at Argosy University

Pros

Love the programs and faculty.

Cons

I was waiting and waiting to teach courses and many times I was not offered a course to teach for month on in. I wish they were more professional. I am still waiting to teach courses there.

There should be more professional faculty schedulers. I am very disappointed that I was not offered courses to teach when I did such a great job there.

Top heavy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Argosy University full-time

Pros

Great people in the company at a ground level. Students and Health Science programs are very good.

Cons

Very top heavy company. Focusing on getting students to only take online courses, when students are adamantly against this. Only look at the money side of things, not the students.

At least i got some experience (Finance Counselor)

Former Employee - Finance in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Finance in Dallas, TX

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great People to work with
    -Some great managers
    -Helping students

Cons

-No advancement
    -Boys Club (Worked at UoP a MUST to be promoted)
    -No pay increase
    -Lowest paid Finance Counselors in the industry

Try to think outside the box. For the employees,

Very disorganized disappointing waste of time.

Former Employee - Financial Aid
    Former Employee - Financial Aid

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I respected my direct supervisor and many of my direct colleagues, fair pay, and schedule flexibility (I credit this to my boss not the campus).

Cons

Severe consistent lack of communication and professionalism from higher management. Working with central processing was frustrating because we are not allowed to correct and rectify issues on the campus level - and they are working harder and harder on removing responsibilities from ground campuses. This created a very hostile environment, and led to a severe distrust between the employees and the management.

Communication even if the news is bad. Utilize the skills of your employees and really listen to their criticisms.

This job is a joke! Get out while you can. Terrible Management

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Argosy University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved my Co-Workers
    Pay & Benefits

Cons

Where to begin...
    no job security
    no opportunity for advancement
    not what originally applied for. Management is VERY misleading
    Extremely high turnover
    Call Center type environment- exp to make 200 calls per day
    Constant change of policy and procedure
    Heavy Micro Managing.
    List goes on and on......

Very dishonest, dysfunctional and disrespectful management. Learn how to communicate and value employees.

Focus is on business not education quality

Former Employee - Program Chair
    Former Employee - Program Chair

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

academic program flexibility
    usually nicely located campuses
    enjoy working with students

Cons

no upward communication and communication between campuses/administrators nationally is awful
    courses are viewed like products and the Chairs manage the assembly line. they are not a part of company management or a significant part of planning
    focus is on sales of product and maintenance of customers

Its a job to play the bills.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Eagan, MN

I worked at Argosy University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There really isnt anything thats a pro

Cons

poor management, what have you dont for me lately attitude, over the shoulder management

Believe it or Not, It's a Nice Place to Work

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Argosy University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Loved the staff
    -Very clean campus
    -Did I mention staff
    -Good amount of training

Cons

-Sometimes unrealistic expectations
    -Financial aid office members are often time very rude and do not help students at initial contact

Reconsider how the financial aid office connects with students early on. Do not leave financial questions to the admissions team. Specific financial questions should be referred to the financial advisors, this is to include initial contact. Admissions advisors should not be a part of any of the financial process such as telling students how to get started with their financial aid process. This should all be handled by the finance department as this is suppose to be what they are experts at and paid to do.