Argus Information & Advisory Services

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Michael Heller

Pros
  • Projects resulting and involving great understanding of credit card industry and data management (in 12 reviews)

• Learn a lot about data, where it's from and how it's abstracted and then advised for clients (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Certain managers are nasty and many employees are expected to work long hours (in 11 reviews)

• bad work life balance, lower pay rate, over confidence (in 4 reviews)

Good company to start your career

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services

Pros

Free Snacks Helpful Collegues Gives good knowledge of finance market

Cons

Low Salary Mis Management Poor work life balance

Great company to begin your career in Data Analytics

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services full-time

Pros

- Great talents around helping you to understand business & data computation

Cons

- Great work but with very little planning & time

My worst experience!

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can meet some really cool and talented people who are struck here for their own reasons. I found my mentor here and I am glad I met him. This was my best part in Argus which changed my way of thinking towards my career. A very good stepping stone. All smart people who join Argus learn their stuff quickly and quit within 6-11months after joining. This place makes you realize what worst means!

Cons

This is a never ending list. I know I am wasting my time writing a review for such a pathetic work place. However I am writing this with a hope that a lot of people will find it useful. 1) Most of the managers don't know their stuff and are just working to meet the deadlines at any cost (There are very few exceptional managers too). 2) Employees are living in their own shells and don't understand what they are missing on. And I realized this only after getting out of this ****. 3) People talk all good about you when you are working here but they BS about you when you quit. 4) My worst experience with a company in a list of six companies I have worked for. 5) What people do here is not analytics. 6) Working long hours is considered as an achievement. Accomplishments doesn't hold any importance. 7) Your worth is recognized only after you put down your papers. 8) There is no proper coordination between the teams. You must be good at blame game to survive the battle. 9) No one is interested in knowing each other. Being a company of hardly 160-180 employees, people hardly know each other. And this is how it's been in Argus for a long time. 10) HR is not an independent organization. They are dictated by the management. They are just like puppets. Nothing can change unless HR is given the authority to work independently. Overall, I hated going to work. I would recommend you to consider this as an option only if it is your last option.

Advice to Management

As if it matters!

Good Company To Work For And Build Your Career

I have been working at Argus Information & Advisory Services full-time

Pros

You have the chance to learn a lot about the banking industry (if that is your aim you can do it here). If you start as an analyst (out of college for example), you have the chance to build good work ethic, which will help further your career. If you work at Argus at a higher level (i.e. Manager and higher), you have the chance to help in the advancement of other's who report to you as well as continue to build your skills. Since Argus is not a large company, you have more ability to make an impact than you might at some larger companies.

Cons

There is a lot of work but that is the same with any growing company.

How fast can you run from this company?

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services

Pros

Other than free breakfast on Friday's, free cokes and other soft drinks, and ability to order dinner on company dime if you work late (you would mostly work very late), can't think of anything good with this company.

Cons

Where do I start? First, its not consulting. Don't get fooled by what they say when they come to your school. Just querying data in SQL, manipulating in Excel, and putting in PPT is not consulting. If you don't get any job, then you can join - they will do your H1B. But know that they will own every minute of your life. How? They will ask you to work very late if you are in client delivery or data ops - you will likely work till 10-11PM, and are expected to show up by 9 or so. And you are supposed to come in on weekends too. BTW, there is no long weekend. Inevitably the Friday afternoon before the long weekend they will give you some big stuff to work on and they expect to see results 1st thing when everyone is back after the long weekend. If don't have the results (irrespective of how new you are in the job), they get upset. Specially, if you are unlucky to work in any of the 3 ladies' teams in CD, your life will be miserable. These ladies consider themselves entitled because they have been here for a while and they are treated like that by senior management too. So these ladies talk down others and if you contradict them with a different views you will not be in their good books any more. One of these ladies will spend 3-4 hrs making you sit in front of her and changing shades of colors on your almost complete PPT deck. She wastes half of your day doing this, and then she would expect you to finish all your other work as originally scheduled. They are very abrasive - I have seen some of these ladies become really nasty with poor Data Operations folks and demanding their stuff be done yesterday irrespective of other workload. The CEO does nothing but promote the bad attitude of these folks. In fact, he has openly called one of these ladies his favorite. Talking about CEO, he is full of himself. He doesn't believe in work-life balance of any of the analysts. There was an employee survey done last Sept/Oct at Argus - the opinions were so poor that they didn't share the results until April. And what does the CEO do when he shares the results selectively? He tells everyone a BS story about when he was an analyst, the HR of that company called him and asked him to go home early because he was making others in his department look bad. Really? He cannot accept the fact that most of the employees truly believe that they don't want to work here and will be looking elsewhere. Instead CEO thought that there were only a few bad apples causing the poor atmosphere. The CEO has no idea how poor Argus system and computers are and how much extra work analysts have to do to work around non-working servers and tables. Probably because his CIO himself does not know what is modern technology. As I said most of the work is done in SQL - even .NET is considered revolutionary at Argus. You don't get to use any data visualization tool like Tableau, or software like R or SAS (except for a few modelers in couple of teams). Big data tools like Hadoop? CIO thinks they don't need it since their data is structured. The servers go down often, or they are very slow. They want you to work late, but don't give you laptops in many cases. Because they don't trust that you will log in from home and work as late. At least now they allow you to go to the internet - I'm told a year ago they didn't even allow that! You might think that this will be a way for you to get your first job or a H1B, But after 4-6 months you will not learn anything new. So basically, you are wasting your time and stunting your career growth. Analyst salaries are not that great either considering this being NY and you are working minimum 10-12 hrs a day. So be careful about that illusion that Argus creates when they visit your campus that they do cutting edge consulting work.

Advice to Management

There is no point giving any advice to management because they don't listen. There have been same comments over and over again on Glassdoor, but management hasn't tried to change anything at all.

Change in culture desperately needed

Former Employee - Manager in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in White Plains, NY

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities for those willing to give yo their lives for career growth

Cons

Lack of management people skills. Terrible work life balance. Salary or bonus do no compensate for slave like hours.

Advice to Management

Revamp of culture and management style. Need to train managers more people skills and allow for more flexible work hours. Complete change in attitude from senior management.

Good experience but need organization

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in White Plains, NY

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a great experience being an intern at Argus since I learned many new things in the field of data analytics and warehousing solutions. Great coworkers. Nice happening environment. Many events for employees. Free snacks and breakfasts.

Cons

Poor work life balance. Too much work sometimes. Some people do work of 2 employees. Lack of organization among teams. Lack of automation in most of the processes.

Mundane unintelligent work but good comp.

Former Employee - Consulting Analyst in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Consulting Analyst in White Plains, NY

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services

Pros

Good compensation, growth, intelligent coworkers

Cons

Work hours (exceeds 70 hrs most weeks!), work is mundane and repetitive (don't be fooled by the job description).

Advice to Management

Find new ways to engage workers and keep them interested

Consider this as your last option

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in White Plains, NY

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot find any to be honest. I would say it is the best option if you do not have any other option. Bonus: 20-35 percent but IMO it's not worth your free time that you would have got if you will not be working for this company. You will anyway be frustrated and will not be able to enjoy your life

Cons

Compensation: Looks average on the onset but when you calculate the amount of time that you spend working you realize you earn less than the folks working on a construction site on an hourly basis Work life balance: It is a joke. When the upper management says that you will not have a work life balance and that is how we operate then there is something wrong in the way they manage their projects. Neither this is a start up or working on ground breaking technology and wasting your time and career here would be a big mistake. Office Culture: Let me start with analysts; they are fun to work as they are in the same situation. So, people are good till you reach the associate managers position. Moving on to the managers, oh my the less I express the better it is. Most of them moved up internally and don't know how a project should be handled. I have not seen any manager doing any kind of planning everything is up in the air and they themselves don't know how to manage the project. If you suggest something that is right, that will mostly fall to deaf ears. Work is fast paced but it is all rework due to the mistakes made by the management on not asking for ample of time or proper planning for developing the product. Average amount of time that an analyst stays here is about a year and work hours are ridiculous. What shocked me while development is that if you call yourself as a data warehouse company and do not involve the DBA in any planning then what kind of planning do you do. DBA's are TBH non-existent. No proper data modelers, test plans or development resources. They fall short on all aspects. If you work here and then move on to a different company you will realize how much you are lagging in all aspects. Personal growth: You don't have time for yourself, forget about taking extra classes or working on a side project. Other aspects: Technology, one of the worst databases i.e. MS SQL Server. It is mostly an operational shop and no analytics done by the company. They think running min, max and average on historical data is analytics which is a joke. If you have an expectation that you will be writing optimization algorithms and some machine learning codes to run on a distributed servers then you are at the wrong place. Please don't go by the description provided on glassdoor by the company

Advice to Management

This is not a startup anymore and there is no substantial growth in the past 15 or so years. No startup like work or technology, everyone are working on 90's technology. Treat your analysts like humans and retain the best of them as they are the future. Bring managers from other companies who have been there and done that as the mangers who have only worked for argus are not good enough in planning/analytics or man management. Do your homework before taking on any projects, just bringing in random employess will not make the project a success

Fast Growth

I have been working at Argus Information & Advisory Services

Pros

High Bonus, fast growth, free snacks and food

Cons

Long hours, expectations are too high

RSS Feed </> Embed