Arhaus Furniture

Arhaus Furniture Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Arhaus Furniture CEO John Reed

John Reed

Pros:
  • "Pretty environment to work in, nice furniture"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Great product, great people,fun atmosphere, young enthusiastic organization"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is no support from upper management"
    in 10 reviews
  • "but then the phone rang and no one seemed to hear it"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Why would any one want to work for this company. The truth is that you will not stay in business much longer when you t

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe product and the clients.Its very rewarding to help client make their dreams come true and make there home a great place to live.

ConsWorst commission in the industry. Shame on you! A good business understands that it should be built from the bottom up. Team work is real success!! Hope a new company comes into the market where people can be paid for there efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr John Reed ,Take responsiblity for your company and the people you employ. Treat others the way you would want to be treated. Success comes from God. Remember to follow the golden rules!!

Disappointing & unduly stressful. Worst company with best product I have ever worked for.

Interior Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsProduct is unique, well made, and progressively designed. Ample choices in fabrics, trims & wood finishes. Visual merchandising staff is well organized and consists of amazingly talented designers. Stores always look beautiful and inspire customers to purchase completely from the display off the floor. The unique look of the stores promote customer traffic. Enormous amount of thought & upkeep goes into visual. Hand-tied construction & lifetime warranties are plus. Lots of reclaimed wood & recycled glass items are environmentally responsible. Also offer an assortment of excellent temper-foam mattresses to complete the sale of a bedroom suite.

ConsThere is an odd & counter-productive competitive culture at store level management . Interior Consultants are not encouraged to assist each other for the benefit of the customer. Although it does exist in my store, it cannot be exhibited in front of manager. No job security all. There is an incredibly high turn over; most employees do not make it past 3-4 months. You could leave the store at night & find a new manager & several new staff members the next day. Or witness a sobbing manager being escorted out the door by the arm. (Not just sometimes, most times) All employees (except manager) are required to thoroughly clean the store, break room, and even scrub the toilets. Common to be spoken down to in the presence of a customer. HR does little to nothing to assist in any matter, whether it be benefits or employee issue. One must have thick skin and put personal life on a back burner to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe stores are so phenomenal. It is evident that a lot of thought & passion goes into product development. Why wouldn't the same care go into the choice of managers? The person I work for came from a liquidation company. She is not able to pronounce some of our collections and talks about employees to other employees! Customers attach themselves to an Interior Designer who does their job well. We perform a very personal service by creating a comfortable and creative space in the homes we work on. No customer wants to finish one space & find the Designer is no longer with the company when they are ready to go forward with another part of their home. I have been in this industry for 20+ years. Never have I encountered such poor management skills in those I have worked (4) under with Arhaus. I am currently & sadly looking for other opportunities, not because I don't love, love, love the product, but because I cannot withstand the culture of the management. I certainly wish it wasn't the case. I'm sure no one has to tell you, John Reed, all it starts at the top.

Lipstick on a Pig

Interior Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsThe Visual Director is a genius...he thinks "outside the box" and creates extraordinarily beautiful showrooms. The team of Visual Managers are amazing. If only the rest of the company ran the way the Visual Department does...also, the trainers are very good, I'm not sure why the regional store management is so ineffective.

ConsChallenges: Very high turnover...if you make it past the 3 month trial period you can count on constant training of new sales staff..this takes enormous amounts of time that could be better spent generating sales. Customers are confused by this lack of consistency.

It is very hard to make a decent salary unless you work on your days off...even then you will barely survive...the commission structure is from 3-6%...you have to sell $35000 every month before you make a penny of commission, that is to cover your $18,000 "base" salary. The recruiters are VERY misleading on this point, you are not really getting any base, and for that privilege you are expected to clean the showroom including bathrooms every day, do housecalls on your own time, come in for inventory and not get paid, etc, etc. regarding the house calls: you do it on your own time, use your own car and gas, you are not reimbursed and the sale can be given to anyone, I have had my manager write the sale for themselves. I don't mind keeping the showroom neat, not a problem, however I certainly would have expected at the very least a quarterly professional cleaning.

We sell off the floor yet there are no stockboys...we expect the customer to carry out their own merchandise...classy.

Little to no advertising. They can't even get the signage kinks worked out at our mall after 3 years...seriously?

I will never understand the management principles this store follows, cooperation among sales associates was actively discouraged...I feel our regional manager was completely incompetent. Just because you speak loudly doesn't mean you know what you're talking about! Since store opened a little over 3 years ago, over 50 sales associates and 6 managers have come and gone at this one location. Read the other reviews, this was not isolated to just our store...the whole company has a really difficult time keeping staff.

Furniture is never inspected before delivery, you will spend many hours trying to save a sale you already made because the furniture arrives damaged or incorrect.

Very poor communication from top-down. After seeing colleague after colleague terminated abruptly you never know what to expect. You will be fielding phone calls from people applying for your manager's job...how do you handle that? Your job is never secure..it doesn't matter how good your sales are..you are expendable, experience not required, how odd.

Very stressful, negative environment. Constant pressure to increase numbers, every month there are "blackout" days that you cannot take days off. Seriously, you are afraid to take off because you might miss making your numbers. If you do not make the initial 35,000 one month you have to start the next month in the negative..if you do have to take off for vacation or you are sick, good luck catching up.

I am a really hard worker, among the top sellers in the company, however there are only 2 sales associates in the WHOLE company that are making the high salary, not sure what the secret is.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe you might start doing exit interviews...find out why your turnover is so ridiculously high. I'm sure you think your furniture sells itself....hardly, yes it is presented beautifully, and maybe in Ohio that's enough, in the NY-NJ market, people are not that impressed.

Take a look at your regionals..maybe if they spent a little more time training their managers they would actually have experienced people and sales would increase due to competence, instead of creating false projections, maybe if the emphasis was on doing a good job, seems like a simple idea. Develop the skills of the people you already have, stop making the store managers the scapegoat...when they are under constant pressure they pass it on to the sales staff and it makes everyone stressed.

While the showrooms present a calm, sophisticated image, the regionals conduct business as if it is a used car lot. And the email blasts are so out of hand...it takes the manager half the day to get through the emails congratulating each other for reaching their hourly goals, come on...grow up!

If you hire professionals, treat us as professionals. I always felt like we were treated like this was our after school job...yes, we worked at the mall, but with 20 years of interior Design experience, I don't think it's necessary to belittle others. We don't even have a desk to do follow-ups with clients..we are given a small drawer to keep our paperwork in, do we really need the regional coming in and inspecting our drawers like it's the army?

I was so excited to join this company, I loved the whole idea of the "Renew- Recycle" US made, how naive and foolish do I feel now....I guess I can't look back, however I certainly learned some lessons to help me with the future, I will do a little more research before accepting a position with such a deceptive organization.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was told to get out and save myself within the first 3weeks of being there.

Interior Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing furniture and very nice customers.

ConsI was promised that I would be making at least $40k per yr. I was promised that big $ is in store for me. I saw none of that. I found myself cleaning everyday that I worked. Fighting tooth and nail to get a decent sale. I worked on my days off, came in early and stayed late only to find myself working 45-50hrs a week and not getting overtime. Yes its true you only get paid $18k base salary. You only get commission after you sell $35k in 30days. I you don't make your goal after 90 days your out the door no questions asked. Associates usually don't make it more than 4 to 6 months. The more time and energy you spend there the more money you are out of. You keep thinking tomorrow will be better well your wrong. If you have suspicions that things are not going to work out then your correct, GET OUT NOW! You are not the first and uninformatively you will not be the last. Iv watched managers interview people and the lies just continue on and on.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop giving false hope to people. These are peoples lives that your are dealing with. The slave wages must stop. Someone has to put an end to this and it starts with you. Stop hiding behind so called store policy's and procedures.

VERY Unprofessional environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful stores, good assortment of merchandise coming into the stores.

ConsNo set, sound direction from corporate office, you hear many directives from more than one person. Regional management is very aloof on the sales and visual side. Management are not experienced. Product comes to the customer and the store damaged on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease establish some clear, concise direction on operations, and logistics. Instead of having 3rd party delivery companies delivering, damaging, and losing your product before it arrives to the customer. Before opening new stores, or having a "mass expansion plan" have a distribution center in that region to accompany those locations, it is ridiculous.

Good place to work

Delivery Driver (Current Employee)
    Walton Hills, OH

ProsPay is good
    Yearly reviews & pay increase based on performance

ConsLong days
    Lots of driving
    Promotions unlikely

My experience with Arhaus has always been good.

Visual Manager (Current Employee)
    Westlake, OH

ProsThe people! I love the sales staff I work with everyday and the people at corporate who help me out in my position.

Consnone really at this time

As the Door Turns......

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Freehold, NJ

ProsThe showroom is visually intoxicating. It takes your breath away. Filled with one of a kind pieces from far away lands. Well appointed pieces are showcased in an inviting manner.

ConsThis is where it gets interesting. Your are berated on a daily bases for your numbers. The pressure is insurmountable. Your expected to work on your days off, no overtime and no vacation pay. There is no support from upper management. If your appointed a store manager your time is limited. Furniture is delivered damaged on a daily bases or doesn't show up at all. No one answers you at corporate. If they do they are just rude. I've never worked for a company like this. It's a shame. They make all the stores place inspirational quotes in the break room and don't adhere to them. The positive reviews listed here are from corporate. I've never written a review before let alone a negative one..

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to be well versed in human resources. A training program needs to be implemented at the store level.

" company calls you "family", but treats you like anything but"

Interior Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsPromotes from within
    good potential to make $$
    Pretty stores
    good training

Consto many to list.... overworked for money paid, out -of- touch senior management.. possibly illegal work requirements, to many unrealistic expectations, no real " vacation pay" for Sales Associates, overstaffed sales floor, employee paid business cards, treated by how well your sales number are, no "open door" policy, sales associates ( not managers) act as janitors, must be willing to work daily at some capacity to succeed and make a decent living... the list could go on and on..

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat sales associate's like gold, they are your bread and butter and front line, without them, you could have the best product on the market, but no customers. Actually listen to your sales associates concerns and input. Make changes to policies that might not be working, keep sales goals realistic. keep your sales people happy by making sure they are all making a decent living before hiring new associates which only makes it harder for your current ones to succeed. If you expect your sales force to clean, then management should also. having employee's pay for their own business cards is a crime with the amount of money this company makes, especially after a year of service. If you refuse to pay for your employees gas mileage for house calls, and expect them to do it on their days off, at least give them a higher percent commission rate when they close them. 3% for the first 35K sold is ridiculous, especially if the sales associate is selling 85+ consistently.
    Paid vacation for full-time Associates???? seriously?? Misleading and unfair, for the personal who works harder than anyone in the company, reward them by paying them for time-off instead of penalizing them! To give a sales associate their Draw while on vacation at 10 dollars an hour, the expecting them to still reach their goal that month or be forced to have to carry over to the next is NOT PAID VACATION.

Example of PAID vacation for commissioned employee's realistically would be:

Take the employees total wages made for a year , or average monthly, divide it by week or day, and pay them that rate for vacation pay. Then divide the monthly 35k draw requirement by days required to work, and lesson the amount the employee is required to sell that month in order to make commission and make their monthly goal!!! That is how REAL PAID VACATION for commissioned sales associates works in most companies that offers their sales force vacation. Sales associates get tired and burnt out, especially in this company, and it's a shame that most sales associates are actually afraid to take time off or else they are penalized or unable to make the same amount of monthly income had they NOT taken vacation. Treat your sales staff like GOLD!! .... Would senior management or non-commissioned like to take 10 dollars an hour vacation pay and then be told they are responsible for the same workload or not get paid a full months wages when they return?

When you have 10 plus associates on a floor at any given time, and only one or two associates who are working 7 days a week are making a decent living and getting by, it's time to start cutting staff so ALL the sales staff can make a living without having to work 6-7 days a week, 10-12 hour days to get paid a decent salary. More on floor is NOT better, especially when ALL the staff is frustrated and starving and struggling to make a living... a happy sales associate is a PRODUCTIVE sales associate, and makes the customer happy.
    Sales Associates who are struggling, over worked, desperate and live in fear of making numbers is a LOSING combination, and nobody wins! pay attention to your sales force turnover and ask yourselves why this is happening... invest in your sales force so they will want to stay and grow with the company, instead of leaving in less then a year out of frustration!

There are a lot of positives to this company, but the negatives far out-weigh the good, but if someone upstairs doesn't start listening, the company is going to loose a lot of good talent to competitors. If you consider your sales staff members of the Arhaus Family, treat them like you would family... would you want to see your family members barley making a living unless they worked 7 days a week? would you want them to have some rest and relaxation without being penalized for it? Would you want them to feel free to speak up and voice their concerns and frustrations knowing that they won't be scrutinized or even fired due to speaking out when they feel they're not being treated right?

When the same complaints are made over and over on this site and nothing changes, it's time to MAKE CHANGES!

Yes, there's opportunity to make decent $$ in this company, but it shouldn't be made by sacrificing ones entire life to the company knowing your expendable from one month to the next based solely on your numbers.

Not a Stellar Company

New York, NY

ProsSales Commission, Pay before 3 month pass, Work Ethic They startr off very nice, but after 3 months- thhe love affair is over.

ConsYou must put in extra hours besides the 40+, you are not paid extra
    ALot of the employees get sick. Everybody and I mean everyboady is stressed out there, The manager P. is not a very good manager. The head does a better job, however, that will not keep employees there. All present employees should report them to Board of Labor. If you are working 50+ hours, you should be paid. If not, somethingis wropng with company.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with employees before assuming they will come in on their day off, you are fighting a losing battle- a lot of employee turnover.Hire competent managers.

Worked for Arhaus Furniture? Contribute to the Community!

Arhaus Furniture Videos

Arhaus Furniture – Why Work for Us?

​​Natural materials, hand-made artistry We started in 1986 with a passion to provide unique, high quality, well designed home furnishings. Our philosophy was to design our own products, search for the best manufacturer… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Arhaus Furniture reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Arhaus Furniture CEO John Reed. All 105 reviews posted anonymously by Arhaus Furniture employees.