Arhaus Furniture

Arhaus Furniture Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Arhaus Furniture CEO John Reed

John Reed

Pros
  • Pretty environment to work in, nice furniture(in 7 reviews)

• Great product, great people,fun atmosphere, young enthusiastic organization(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • but then the phone rang and no one seemed to hear it(in 10 reviews)

• There is no support from upper management(in 10 reviews)

Challenging and rewarding

Interior Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsIf you have what it takes you can certainly make a decent living. If you are flexible you have the opportunity to grow with the company. The company commonly hires from within. Certain retail areas are better than others.

ConsYou do perform cleaning duties and do your own paperwork. It takes commitment to succeed at this position.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs you grow remember the people who have made it possible for you to get to this point.

Lies, Lies, oh more lies

Interior Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey seem to be very positive when you start. Lead sales is very convincing. He does a good job training you.

ConsYou MUST work more than 40+ hours there. My manager chastised me during the first two months why I didn't come in on my day off to get more sales. Hello- Can you say family?? It's no surprise since everyone tries to cover for each other. However, have you noticed how sick everyone gets. I'm no genius, nut the stress of losing one's job contributes to getting sick and rundown. There is no job security in NY store. It's not a good company to work for. Customer complaints about deliveries are huge- people call in every day and you must field those calls from angry clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement- Look into Labor practices- seriously- if you are not paying your employees overtime- they can report you . Corporate offices- would it hurt to be nice to us on the phone? Managers- it seems all employees are a digit to you. Do you naturally assume that everyone will leave? John Reed- Wow- I don't know where to begin. The corporate culture you have installed is turning on you.

Sucks the soul right from your body...

Design Consultant (Current Employee) Annapolis, MD

ProsVisual Manager is hardworking and knowledgeable.

ConsWhere to start??? All of the good news and family atmosphere you get in the interview process is false, UNLESS, you are a long term employee that is in the "in"crowd. I have never, ever, EVAH, worked in a place with such territorial, catty people that will go out of their way to sabotage your day and performance just to raise themselves up in sales. No one answers the phone because they know it is a problem that they will have to figure out and don't want to.

Turnover is very high and when I asked about this topic during the interview, I was assured the online stats were wrong. Nope, the are correct. I have been there a few months now with the staff at 10 sales associates and 5 are new, and of the 5 newbies, one quit last week.

There are several days a week where the store has Zero $$$ sales days and then the other days are only $1,500- $12,000 days. That may sound like a lot, but I at part-time have to make $450 and hour to clear $300 per payday (every two weeks). Then you have to account for the other sales people also having to make their goals. Of the staff of 10, only 1 can say she earns a decent living at the store.

The company president is all eyes and no business brain. They constantly spend money where they shouldn't and overlook the places where the development should go. THE COMPUTER SYSTEM IS ARCHAIC AS HECK! Very outdated and very time consuming. I had a customer leave mid transaction because a simple $50 cash sale took almost 15 minutes because of the multiple log-in pages and extra pop-up screens and the ton of customer information you have to put in before the screen/computer will allow you to move on.

MANY, many daily customer call-in or walk-in complaints. Anything ranging from sloppy craftsmanship on delivered items to wobbly furniture just delivered or to the abundant complaints on billing issues.

One last gripe: The company wants to appear inviting by keeping the front door open year round- In the sweltering summer, in the dead freeze of winter. Doing this is terrible for the environment as well as it keeps overloading and breaking the HVAC system weekly. Seriously weekly. Days and weeks at a time with no heat or AC. Yuck!

Advice to Senior ManagementUPGRADE your systems. Your customers and employees will be much happier with functioning, quick machines. Streamline the software- seriously!

Drop the favoritism B.S. You are losing awesome talent by showing by keeping and promoting your It-crowd only mentality.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Look for another Job. Starting on the first day.

Interior Specialist (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe store has air conditioning.

ConsEverything they tell you before you start is a lie.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo public. Hope that the "new" directors of the company fire all of you. Worst professional experience of my career.

Love the place you live!

Manager of Web Development (Current Employee) Walton Hills, OH

ProsArhaus is a great place to work. There are many opportunities for those willing work hard.

ConsStay focused on the positive.

Upper management out of touch with employees

Interior Design Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat product, good customer service and visual of store is amazing.

Conscommission structure is very low-does not draw the best talent
    working conditions are tough-standing 6-8 hours a day on concrete/wood floors with no gel pads.
    computers are slow, cleaning and opening duties are not paid if you are a part time employee.
    Now required to call 25 people a day-makes us like a used car lot

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch with the people in the store! Turn over is ridiculous and other than our store manager there is no interaction with corporate

Challenging, but extremely rewarding. Mix of sales/retail with residential designing makes for never a dull moment.

ProsWorking for a company with good benefits. Surrounded by talented people whether interior designers or sales people to learn from. Very rewarding building relationships with clients. Hardwork pays off. I've had nothing but a great experience working here but you have to want to work hard.

ConsJuggling sales, housecalls, floorplans, customer service while trying to stay focused. Hard to leave work at work. 40 hour weeks on the floor while housecalls are made on your own time, own expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should manage people, not let us figure out issues or other associates issues when they arise. This can take hours sometimes to resolve. Need to be more involved with keeping the floor neutral. Work and customer's split evenly. Some employees can play dirty with sales and its almost condoned.

The training is compact and challenging. Company is privately run and welcomes employee input. Very sales focused.

Interior Specialist (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat environment to work in, good people to work with and quality products to sell. Tiered commission compensation program. Encourages and rewards high performance selling for the entire team.

ConsTo make money you must work almost all weekends. Like most retail work, little scheduling flexibility and hours can run late.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some attention to in store structure. Responsibilities seem to weigh heavy on store manager. In need of operational support.

Why would any one want to work for this company. The truth is that you will not stay in business much longer when you t

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe product and the clients.Its very rewarding to help client make their dreams come true and make there home a great place to live.

ConsWorst commission in the industry. Shame on you! A good business understands that it should be built from the bottom up. Team work is real success!! Hope a new company comes into the market where people can be paid for there efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr John Reed ,Take responsiblity for your company and the people you employ. Treat others the way you would want to be treated. Success comes from God. Remember to follow the golden rules!!

Worst professional experience I've had

Interior Design Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful furniture you most likely won't be able to afford on your salary no matter how good of a sales person you think you are.

ConsEverything else. Costumers are only treated well before they open their wallets, employees are miserable and act like they're serving a jail sentence while staring at their watch. They pray for a snow day, the flu or any reason the store could close. First day I was told how horrible the company was by employees that have been there 6 months or less. I thought to give it a try and perhaps it would be better for me... but then the phone rang and no one seemed to hear it...actually it rings off the hook with complaining customers... situations such as -1) they never got their furniture, 2) got their furniture but it was damaged for the third time, 3) spent 40k + on furniture and never received the incentive they were promised from the sales person who most likely has already quit and no one followed up with that customer to see how their experience was etc. With the turnover this place has, that is non stop phone ringing with complaints or customers giving up with trying to call and actually get called back and come in to the store with extra frustration to scream your way (understandably screaming, after spending tons of money, having a problem with the product and no one returning calls after days,,,I'd probably be screaming too.) It's embarrassing to be associated with...after only a few days of being there, no training, all I could do was tell these costumers is that I promise someone will definitely call them back...and no one would! Seriously...embarrassing.

The only people that are happy are the first time customers who have no idea what they just stepped into and no idea that after they drop a ton of money on furniture they might not get in 10 -12 weeks of waiting...no idea that no one will care if its wrong or damaged, or if they never get a call about why the delivery guy doesn't show up after getting rid of their old furniture and blocked a weekend day off for scheduled time that just doesn't come...no one in the store will talk to them...they only learn after 4 days of calling and calling that the furniture somehow ended up back in OH and they have to wait another 2 weeks at least for re-delivery...and they get to hear the news with an attitude from a salesperson who says it's only a 10k sale...and meanwhile that salesperson would have to spend about a quarter of their yearly salary to afford that sofa...nice attitude ..but to their defense, they most likely have just gotten off the phone with some other poor soul with a similar problem and that sales person is worn out. One can only be screamed at by unhappy customers so much until they evidently let the answering machine pick up only to fill with those types of hideous costumer complaints. Worst costumer service, on boarding process, training and employee retainment I have ever experienced...

Advice to Senior ManagementRetail environments have enough of the bad....people you work with, happy customers, incentives and fun are the reasons employees stay and customers come back...this place will fail if it doesn't get a grip on retaining employees AND CUSTOMERS! The company sells furniture....Figure out a way to get it to customers correctly, undamaged and on time. That would be a pretty good start.

Worked for Arhaus Furniture? Contribute to the Community!