Arhaus Furniture

Updated December 22, 2014
2.7

Arhaus Furniture CEO John Reed
John Reed

Pros
  • Beautiful environment to work at (in 10 reviews)

• This company is growing really fast (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The proof is in upper management of all levels of the company (in 11 reviews)

• but then the phone rang and no one seemed to hear it (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard work doesn't pay off, management doesn't care.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Walton Hills, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Walton Hills, OH

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Top quality teammates, easy work, and relatively broad set of technology to work with.

Cons

Poor culture of communication- email is abused, management is rarely available, and industry standard practices are ignored. I cannot stress this enough. Senior level staff are not treated as experts- they are expected to do as they are told, regardless of the consequences to the system and to the organization. Large purchases are made without thought to easier or more appropriate solutions.

Management lacks accountability. Some managers propagate criticism to their subordinates and absorb praise. In some cases, managers are selected because of their tenure, not because of their capability.

Development staff is extremely isolated. Problems are relayed through management, not through business analysts. Management design decisions are both fickle and reactionary.

Learn to communicate. Accept responsibility for your actions. Delegate to those best suited to the task. Plan ahead. Hire someone who actually understands software development to lead the software development team.

Don't drink the Kookaide.

Current Employee - Interior Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Interior Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture

Pros

Beautiful environment, great coworkers.

Cons

Horrible pay and commission structure, drama creating management, deceitful company.

Arhaus furniture is amazing at theatrics in creating a beautiful store environment, but they would also receive an Oscar for their ability to reel in fresh meat to work as their slaves. In order to even start making commission, you must at least sell 35,000 and no you make zero commission on that. You only begin making 3% commission on anything you sell after 35,000, and when you hit 60,000 you make 4% of anything from 60,000 until the next threshold, and so on. Your base pay is 18,000 a year, which I must add is nothing after taxes, around $500, and that is what you will be making the first month or two so be sure to have money out aside. Oh and that is also what you will be making if you don't hit your 35,000 threshold and sell more after that. I must mention that if you don't make the 35,000 at least, that the remaining balance carries to the next month. Arhaus seems to think that you owe them back the 18,000 a year which is why you have that 35,000 minimum, which is completely obsurd. Only a small percentage of people make the goal I the company and the rest are barley getting by, even the good sales people. Another major issue is the dramatics and the backstabbing done by the management. If you even bother addressing a concern or voice your opinion, you are told that you won't last long and will be fired. Also, I contantly hear management talking bad behind employees backs, and being fake to their face. It's very unprofessional. We are told that if we talk negatively in any way about the company that we will be fired, which sound a lot like fear tactics from management that is being payed a great income and knows that it is due to the slave labor of their under payed sales people. I have my own company as well, and if you want to keep competent and loyal employees, you will appreciate them and reward them for their hard work. Arhaus is just a classic example of the rich taking advantage of the working class and just becoming richer, while its employees are barely getting by. I also saw that arhaus hired some young people with design degrees, and they still receive the same pay, even with all of their expertise. Greed will only get a company so far before it loses its most valued possession, it's employees. I would not recommend this company to anyone, especially due to the bad management, horrible pay, and greed. I work at the Dallas store, and what Arhaus needs to realize is that us Dallas people are a completely different breed of human, and we won't put up with being underpayed and overworked, that's just a bad look, and we're all about appearances. ;)

Work hard, get rewarded.

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Walton Hills, OH
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Walton Hills, OH

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast-growing company, recognition and reward for hard work and successes, solid management. Also, discount off furniture is pretty nice. So long as you deliver, especially on things you've promised, you will do well.

Cons

Communication between departments sometimes difficult, but once you learn what your coworkers value, it becomes easier.

Very stressful and bad company to work for.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Walton Hills, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Walton Hills, OH

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The salary is very good and higher than most companies are willing to pay. But this high salary comes with a lot of extra stress and overtime.
    - You get a chance to work with some of the latest technology and have the freedom to solve problems in creative ways.

Cons

Almost everything you are told in your interview is not true.
    - They claim to push a work-life balance but once you start working they expect you to work around the clock. This is not a good place to work if you have a family and want to spend time with them.
    - They claim you will get to write cloud and mobile applications, but this is an anti-cloud company and mobile applications are years down the road.
    - They claim to follow a combination of Waterfall (gather requirements up front) and Agile (sprints, user stories, tasks, etc.) processes, but there is no process. It is a free-for-all.

- Management and Senior Leadership will point out all of your mistakes via email to the entire team.
    - There are absolutely no procedures, structure, or on-boarding process. It is literally a free-for-all environment. You will not receive any application/architecture overviews and you are expected to be an expert on their applications from the moment you start.
    - There are no directions, requirements, or documentation given. Everything is ad-hoc and communication is through email blasts and spreadsheets.
    - There is no documentation on any existing applications. Random people have knowledge of applications and getting information from them is like pulling teeth.
    - Don't bother asking questions as they are seen as a sign of weakness and will be answered in a very condescending way.
    - There are constant architecture changes being made to applications, even right before a major release.
    - There aren't separate development, test, and production environments. You generally develop against production systems. Servers meant for development host production applications.
    - Certain team members withhold information during design meetings so they feel more important. They also exclude people from meetings to ensure they get their way.
    - The team members are more interested in looking good in front of management instead of working together as a team. Your ideas will be rejected and criticized until you just stop offering ideas. Certain team members take pride in working 50+ hours a week. Management encourages this behavior.

Follow some basic software engineering best practices, especially when most members of the team suggest them. Please don't lie to people in interviews.

sales

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture part-time

Pros

wonderful furniture. good incentives

Cons

no advertising to bring in customers

Happy With My Growth at Arhaus!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walton Hills, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walton Hills, OH

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Arhaus consistently promotes from within.The office culture is very family-like. Everyone has an open door policy, including the owner, John Reed. I like that I get the opportunity to collaborate with many cross-functional departments. We are all given opportunities to provide feedback, ideas, and suggestions.

The furniture is amazing and the attention to detail in the stores is unparalleled.

Cons

Every once in a while there is a negative employee, but you will find that in any company. Sytems and reports for managing different functions could be a lot better.

Keep promoting from within. Provide more training to corporate employees, either in-office, in-store or in a classroom. Give periodic feedback on career growth and next steps.

Sad experience

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited income potential if willing to work long hours.

Cons

Work environment is highly competitive and catty. Salespeople are not designers and often misinform the customers for a sale. Hard work is not appreciated. Therefore, there is high turn over and a loss of the more competent staff who go elsewhere. Company is growing too quickly without an infrastructure to support it. The result is a landslide of problems - loss of quality, damaged products, delivery mishaps, unhappy customers.

Retention of staff should start at the regional level by supporting and appreciating your managers. The high turn over of managers has a trickle down effect that takes your focus off sales. The regional managers seem to have been there a long time, but have no idea how to support and manage this company's growth. A scary position for a company growing too fast.

Life is good somewhere else. Don't waste your time

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful place to work. They have good benefits. I don't ever have to step foot in that place again.

Cons

You can't have a life.............They expect you to work on your days off, house calls are on your time, and don't sit down. Turn over is high. Management team is not strong at all. Something you need when running a business or a new store.

Grow up.....Have a little respect you will get this in return.

Growth Opportunities

Current Employee - Corporate
    Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is growing really fast. That means employees have the opportunity to grow too. I know many people that have been promoted or have moved from the stores to jobs in corporate.

Cons

I like it here because of the opportunities. Some people feel growth causes pressure and they are less comfortable. Working in a growing company is hard work but you get out what you put in.

make sure you talk to front line employees often. Otherwise keep doing what you're doing.

I was fortunate to have this learning experience of the sales world.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful environment to work at. I felt like a museum curator, granting the world access to these beautiful treasures.

Cons

I felt like the environment was very competitive which is the norm in the sales industry.

I think that if the people who originally had the vision for this company were more in tune with actually workings, it would greatly improve working conditions and relations among the staff.