Arhaus Furniture

Updated November 23, 2014
2.6

Arhaus Furniture CEO John Reed
John Reed

Pros
  • Beautiful environment to work at (in 10 reviews)

• This company is growing really fast (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The proof is in upper management of all levels of the company (in 11 reviews)

• but then the phone rang and no one seemed to hear it (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

sales

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture part-time

Pros

wonderful furniture. good incentives

Cons

no advertising to bring in customers

Happy With My Growth at Arhaus!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walton Hills, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walton Hills, OH

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Arhaus consistently promotes from within.The office culture is very family-like. Everyone has an open door policy, including the owner, John Reed. I like that I get the opportunity to collaborate with many cross-functional departments. We are all given opportunities to provide feedback, ideas, and suggestions.

The furniture is amazing and the attention to detail in the stores is unparalleled.

Cons

Every once in a while there is a negative employee, but you will find that in any company. Sytems and reports for managing different functions could be a lot better.

Keep promoting from within. Provide more training to corporate employees, either in-office, in-store or in a classroom. Give periodic feedback on career growth and next steps.

Sad experience

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited income potential if willing to work long hours.

Cons

Work environment is highly competitive and catty. Salespeople are not designers and often misinform the customers for a sale. Hard work is not appreciated. Therefore, there is high turn over and a loss of the more competent staff who go elsewhere. Company is growing too quickly without an infrastructure to support it. The result is a landslide of problems - loss of quality, damaged products, delivery mishaps, unhappy customers.

Retention of staff should start at the regional level by supporting and appreciating your managers. The high turn over of managers has a trickle down effect that takes your focus off sales. The regional managers seem to have been there a long time, but have no idea how to support and manage this company's growth. A scary position for a company growing too fast.

Life is good somewhere else. Don't waste your time

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful place to work. They have good benefits. I don't ever have to step foot in that place again.

Cons

You can't have a life.............They expect you to work on your days off, house calls are on your time, and don't sit down. Turn over is high. Management team is not strong at all. Something you need when running a business or a new store.

Grow up.....Have a little respect you will get this in return.

Growth Opportunities

Current Employee - Corporate
    Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is growing really fast. That means employees have the opportunity to grow too. I know many people that have been promoted or have moved from the stores to jobs in corporate.

Cons

I like it here because of the opportunities. Some people feel growth causes pressure and they are less comfortable. Working in a growing company is hard work but you get out what you put in.

make sure you talk to front line employees often. Otherwise keep doing what you're doing.

I was fortunate to have this learning experience of the sales world.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful environment to work at. I felt like a museum curator, granting the world access to these beautiful treasures.

Cons

I felt like the environment was very competitive which is the norm in the sales industry.

I think that if the people who originally had the vision for this company were more in tune with actually workings, it would greatly improve working conditions and relations among the staff.

Great work environment

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture

Pros

medical insurance, good work environment, good incentives.

Cons

sometimes you have to do some heavy lifting

Horrible Environment

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really cool industry and fun people you meet.

Cons

Favoritism amongst Sales managers, no room for advancement, product comes to the store and customers homes damaged alll the time! very unprofessional environment in stores, constant returns on damaged merchandise, and the commission has to be the worst in the industry! And there is an obvious under the table racism within the culture of the company. The proof is in upper management of all levels of the company.

When you hire new employees be more realistic about the commission and pay structure. they will tell you what you want to hear and lie to you completely. Diversity in upper management all the way to corporate is non existent in this company. MORE DIVERSITY!!!!!

A sysyphus-esque climb towards validation and a decent livable salary.

Former Employee - Interior Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Interior Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good (but be clear as to when they start exactly), the company does hire/promote within itself, and a perfect work environment for a cut-throat competitive salesperson.

Cons

The pay is only livable if you sale over six figures. This is not a healthy work environment for artistic and/or nice persons. There is a major lack of gender balance.

Grow up.

It was a privilege to work for this company.

Current Employee - Design Consultant, CS, & Ship-Out Coordinator in Walton Hills, OH

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Arhaus is a quality conscious high-end furniture and home accessories company that staffs creative people, values its employees, and pays well. The owner, John Reed, is as smart as they come, a class act who grew this business from one original Ohio location to currently 53 stores (and he looks like Clint Eastwood!). He's also expanded into a personal accessories subcategory with ArhausJewels.com (along the lines of Robert Redford's Sundance Catalog). Walk into one of his stores and you will enter a unique kind of design heaven that the design staff changes with the seasons. I hope he plans to expand into California.

Cons

I was promoted twice, from sales and design consultant for a one-of-a-kind concept store to corporate customer service specialist, to ship-out coordinator. Unfortunately, my supervisor and I dId not get along. I understand he is no longer with the company. This is no reflection on the company itself - just a personality conflict. I learned from the conflict however, and would approach things differently given a similar situation today.

I recall interviewing with the owner for a buyer position, having come from owning and operating my own art and gifts gallery. I asked him if he was familiar with Sundance Catalog, as I saw many stylistic similarities to his design concept, and mentioned jewelry as an interesting area to venture into (which he later did). I don't think he or his management staff needs my advice. He and his management staff have made brilliant decisions.