Arhaus Furniture

www.arhaus.com
Employer Engaged

It keeps getting worse

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I get to wear cute clothes to work and I have some nice coworkers. Beautiful work environment.

Cons

I have never dealt with a company like Arhaus before, and the amount of deceit and mind-playing is baffling to me. First of all, the pay is highly unreasonable due to the fact that you must sell $35,000 minimum before you make any commission whatsoever. Most commissioned jobs start at $0. Another problem is that we can't sell to designers, because we have a specialist that deals with all to the trade, who is not commissioned, so if we have our little black book of contacts and networks, it does is no good for our individual sales, and that really hurts my sales since I have a ton of contacts in the design and real estate industry. I assume this is because the company wants to pay less commission on those sales since designers get a 40% discount, and many of the designer sales are huge accounts, typical greed. The company used its sales people's contacts and pays them nothing for it. Another thing I have noticed is the lack of help from the managers. The management team seems to only want to help the top sellers and if you ask them for help they completely blow you off, and don't even bothering telling customers that you will get a manager to fix something, because they don't care about your customers issues, they are only focused on getting sales. I witnessed a manager take a coworkers sale from them when my coworker asked for information on a chair from the manager. Instead of just answering the question and walking away the manager proceeded to interrupt her employee, cut into the conversation, and take the customer and the sale. I have also seen the store manager give a top seller big sales when she finds them, instead of handing them to other sales people who may still be trying to reach their $35,000 minimum in order to make the job even worth it. It's our busiest sales month this month and new incentives have been put in place for this month only, and I was really excited about maybe having a better outlook, but there is obviously something very strange going on with management, as they are very catty and refuse to treat us as a team. I don't care how many snacks and goodies we get during our sale, working for this company is by far the worst experience I've ever had. I will give it some more time but I fear that this company is digging its own grave by the way it treats its employees.

Be fair, hire mature managers who care about more than just receiving their manager bonus, and actually care about building good working relationships with their "team". The pay base is very poor and needs to be raised to atleast $22-25,000 a year and the $35,000 minimum before commission needs to go out the window.

Very Deceitful

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The exposure you get and some of the people you get to meet

Cons

There are so many I don't know where to begin. First off, I should've known something was wrong when during the interview process, I was being convinced to work there rather than me having to convince why I was needed.
    The compensation is extremely lack and very deceitful making you believe you will be extremely successful when in reality, unless you are a deceitful sales person, you will barely reach their unrealistic goals they have set for you. Even so, once you have made the company a minimum of $35,000 they only praise you with a tiny commission percentage of 3% of anything after that. The store management is extremely dramatic as well and tends to use fear tactics to motivate their employees by making examples of other excellent employees. The turn over rate for a brand new store is absurd and has everything to do with the integrity of the managements decisions. I have been with the company since October 2014 and since December 2014 have watched numerous employees be mistreated, talked down to, quit due to management, and be terminated for ludicrous reasons. I have to come in on my days off and do not even get paid overtime with my extremely small salary of $18,000 per year which after taxes and insurance equals out to a little bit of nothing that was promised during the hiring process. My advise before coming to work here is to apply at a fast food restaurant first, you'll make more money unless you're an extremely deceitful individual.

My advice to management is to make some major changes before this empire falls, even in the game of jinga the tower eventually crumbles due to taking too much from those on the bottom.

Happy With My Growth at Arhaus!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walton Hills, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walton Hills, OH

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Arhaus consistently promotes from within.The office culture is very family-like. Everyone has an open door policy, including the owner, John Reed. I like that I get the opportunity to collaborate with many cross-functional departments. We are all given opportunities to provide feedback, ideas, and suggestions.

The furniture is amazing and the attention to detail in the stores is unparalleled.

Cons

Every once in a while there is a negative employee, but you will find that in any company. Sytems and reports for managing different functions could be a lot better.

Keep promoting from within. Provide more training to corporate employees, either in-office, in-store or in a classroom. Give periodic feedback on career growth and next steps.

sales

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture part-time

Pros

wonderful furniture. good incentives

Cons

no advertising to bring in customers

Not a place for those that wish to be valued, treated fairly or rewarded for hard work.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Walton Hills, OH

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Salary is higher than average.
    - Furniture is nice to look at.

Cons

- Salary is higher than average but you are expected to work around the clock day, night, and weekends to meet completely unrealistic deadlines and expectations.
    - Your opinion is never considered or valued. If you disagree with management or suggest a timeline is too aggressive you will be called out in front of peers and departments as being unskilled and over compensated for expressing an opinion that does not align with upper management.
    - Requirements are ever changing and are expected to be fulfilled the second they are changed, even if it means working without sleep for a few days to redevelop an entire application.
    - There is absolutely no structure to development practices. Production applications are hosted on development servers, and development is done against live production environments. A complete setup for failure, which you will be blamed for inevitably (but don't worry you are highly compensated).
    - Any suggestions for change or process improvements are not considered and are resisted regardless of how much better or how much money it could save the company in operating costs making it difficult for users to complete their jobs.
    - Extremely high stress and cliquey environment.
    - Almost all applications were developed with a cowboy methodology, absolutely no standards and horrible designs with huge performance flaws. If you suggest rearchitecting or redesigning existing applications you will be viewed as untalented and incapable of handling development against their perfectly designed and developed systems (in their opinion) .

- Listen to the experts you hire they are highly compensated for a reason...
    - Seek training in software engineering management.
    - Learn successful software life-cycle development methodologies.
    - Separate development and production environments…
    - Trust your software engineering team when they tell you a timeline is unrealistic, don’t accuse them of lacking skill or dedication and being over paid simply because they are not willing to sacrifice every waking hour of their lives to meet a deadline.
    - This company has a ton of potential and so many areas good software engineers could make major impacts and contributions if they can improve their work environment and expectations.

Hard work doesn't pay off, management doesn't care.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Walton Hills, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Walton Hills, OH

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Top quality teammates, easy work, and relatively broad set of technology to work with.

Cons

Poor culture of communication- email is abused, management is rarely available, and industry standard practices are ignored. I cannot stress this enough. Senior level staff are not treated as experts- they are expected to do as they are told, regardless of the consequences to the system and to the organization. Large purchases are made without thought to easier or more appropriate solutions.

Management lacks accountability. Some managers propagate criticism to their subordinates and absorb praise. In some cases, managers are selected because of their tenure, not because of their capability.

Development staff is extremely isolated. Problems are relayed through management, not through business analysts. Management design decisions are both fickle and reactionary.

Learn to communicate. Accept responsibility for your actions. Delegate to those best suited to the task. Plan ahead. Hire someone who actually understands software development to lead the software development team.

Very stressful and bad company to work for.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Walton Hills, OH

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- The salary is very good and higher than most companies are willing to pay. But this high salary comes with a lot of extra stress and overtime.
    - You get a chance to work with some of the latest technology and have the freedom to solve problems in creative ways.

Cons

Almost everything you are told in your interview is not true.
    - They claim to push a work-life balance but once you start working they expect you to work around the clock. This is not a good place to work if you have a family and want to spend time with them.
    - They claim you will get to write cloud and mobile applications, but this is an anti-cloud company and mobile applications are years down the road.
    - They claim to follow a combination of Waterfall (gather requirements up front) and Agile (sprints, user stories, tasks, etc.) processes, but there is no process. It is a free-for-all.

- Management and Senior Leadership will point out all of your mistakes via email to the entire team.
    - There are absolutely no procedures, structure, or on-boarding process. It is literally a free-for-all environment. You will not receive any application/architecture overviews and you are expected to be an expert on their applications from the moment you start.
    - There are no directions, requirements, or documentation given. Everything is ad-hoc and communication is through email blasts and spreadsheets.
    - There is no documentation on any existing applications. Random people have knowledge of applications and getting information from them is like pulling teeth.
    - Don't bother asking questions as they are seen as a sign of weakness and will be answered in a very condescending way.
    - There are constant architecture changes being made to applications, even right before a major release.
    - There aren't separate development, test, and production environments. You generally develop against production systems. Servers meant for development host production applications.
    - Certain team members withhold information during design meetings so they feel more important. They also exclude people from meetings to ensure they get their way.
    - The team members are more interested in looking good in front of management instead of working together as a team. Your ideas will be rejected and criticized until you just stop offering ideas. Certain team members take pride in working 50+ hours a week. Management encourages this behavior.

Follow some basic software engineering best practices, especially when most members of the team suggest them. Please don't lie to people in interviews.

Sad experience

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited income potential if willing to work long hours.

Cons

Work environment is highly competitive and catty. Salespeople are not designers and often misinform the customers for a sale. Hard work is not appreciated. Therefore, there is high turn over and a loss of the more competent staff who go elsewhere. Company is growing too quickly without an infrastructure to support it. The result is a landslide of problems - loss of quality, damaged products, delivery mishaps, unhappy customers.

Retention of staff should start at the regional level by supporting and appreciating your managers. The high turn over of managers has a trickle down effect that takes your focus off sales. The regional managers seem to have been there a long time, but have no idea how to support and manage this company's growth. A scary position for a company growing too fast.

I was fortunate to have this learning experience of the sales world.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful environment to work at. I felt like a museum curator, granting the world access to these beautiful treasures.

Cons

I felt like the environment was very competitive which is the norm in the sales industry.

I think that if the people who originally had the vision for this company were more in tune with actually workings, it would greatly improve working conditions and relations among the staff.

Growth Opportunities

Current Employee - Corporate
    Current Employee - Corporate

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company is growing really fast. That means employees have the opportunity to grow too. I know many people that have been promoted or have moved from the stores to jobs in corporate.

Cons

I like it here because of the opportunities. Some people feel growth causes pressure and they are less comfortable. Working in a growing company is hard work but you get out what you put in.

make sure you talk to front line employees often. Otherwise keep doing what you're doing.