Arhaus Furniture Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
2.7

Arhaus Furniture CEO John Reed
John Reed

Pros
  • Beautiful environment to work at (in 10 reviews)

• This company is growing really fast (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The proof is in upper management of all levels of the company (in 11 reviews)

• but then the phone rang and no one seemed to hear it (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Imagine stepping back in time to the 1950's - pretty surroundings - lots of discrimination.

Current Employee - Design Consultant
    Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pretty surroundings - a lot of very good people attempting to make a living in a greedy yet glitzy and pretty store front.

Cons

I was so excited when I started this job -I gave up a perfectly good although dysfunctional job.. I was told a lot of TALL tales during my interview..I sold $350,000 in my first 3 months...then the deliveries came...Approximately 40 - 60% are bad..they call it white glove delivery..however, they do not open any of the containers from overseas until it gets to the clients door...I call them clients because that is how I view everyone I deal with - this is supposed to be a customer service based industry. I do not spend a lot of time EVER writing reviews...this is for anyone who is successful...competent and intelligent. This position is frustrating...unprofitable and I believe illegal. I am never above rolling up my sleeves...but the question is...can this company expect commissioned employees to do their cleaning...we do not get paid! Can they tell us to work overtime...we do not get paid. Expect 7 day work weeks (at least in my store). Can they tell us we have to do inventory when the store is not open and we do not get paid. Can they take us off the floor for a week to do training - off site and then expect us to have the same expected sales goals when we do not get paid? WHAT IS THE EXPECTED "DRAW" RATE PER MONTH 0- IS IT $35,000....$45,000....CAN THEY CHANGE IT MONTH TO MONTH - IS IT PERSON TO PERSON - WHERE IS THE FAIRNESS ? WHAT WERE YOU TOLD WHEN YOU WERE HIRED? IS IT LEGAL TO CHANGE IT MONTHLY?---NOT SURE - BUT I DONT THINK SO - I HAVE ASKED BUT....Don't ask any questions...then you are deemed "negative". Is it legal to require "COMMISSION BASED EMPLOYEES TO DO YOUR DIRTY WORK - ARE WE INDENTURED SERVANTS? If I had the time or energy I would research these things more thoroughly...believe the reviews. there is no money to be made. Management will steal your sales and give them to others on your team, even if that person has never spoken to the client. Don't expect to get lunch breaks during busy time...and don't sit down. I was reprimanded for sitting one day and told not to speak to my co-workers. I am 48 years old - have my own business and was in a "real Professional" job for many years. When I was in corporate management I would never disrespect my employees the way that I have been disrespected here. My work ethic (which is tried and true) has been questioned. DONT TAKE THIS JOB - my bet is that this company will be sued for Unfair labor practices in the very near future....

If I thought that management would listen - I would offer advice - they are not interested in anything their designers have to say...unfortunately..all communications is "shoved" down from above - I have tried...sadly..

Challenging sales position

Former Employee - Sales in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Canton, OH

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Unique product, clean upscale environment.

Cons

Lot of product knowledge to learn. Constant monthly sales deadlines.

Hard but rewarding work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We work in a gorgeous ever changing environment.The fantastic bonus structure that rewards a great team. There is opportunity to grow, be promoted and have a career with one of the best companies in the industry. Managers are rewarded with trips to Italy and London! Our sales team gets to have hands on training with our manufacturers in North Carolina. The elite sellers in the company get all expense trips for themselves and their loved one. Fantastic!

Cons

It's retail. You have to have a thick skin and stay positive. Successful people at Arhaus work their tails off. This is true with any successful career person. Yes, we clean because we take PRIDE in our product. I used to sell Mercedes Benz...Guess who shoveled the snow off the cars in the lot??? There are growing pains that any company with our rate of growth (The store I work in has DOUBLED the sales from 3 short years ago!!) is experiencing, but we are a work in progress.

Sometimes things just aren't working the way they should. That's the reality of business. It's far better to acknowledge those issues to your team than to pretend that everything is perfect. Stop charging your employees for business cards. They certainly should be provided for employees that have been with the company for a year.

Luxury Brand I love and look forward to being a part of its continued growth

Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Consistently changing environment that targets its product on current trends and client needs. Romantic and Beautiful, the products are and so are the people....with spirits and talents to deliver the "luxury" experience people are looking for. Huge earning potential for those design consultants who are all about client services and listening to their needs.

Cons

You have to work smart and well, as in any retail setting....the hours are nights and weekends which isn't for everyone. It is true that we clean our showrooms (some people just don't love that) but as a place for you to work and make good money, it's a small price to pay and something you can be proud of when showing off the store to clients.

Continue to grow internally with new positions for growth from the inside (stores). Continue with incentives and new approaches to growing our Luxury Brand and keep asking the front line (our design consultants) for assistance and ideas to contributing to our growth.

Fashion forward company has it all...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walton Hills, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walton Hills, OH

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Arhaus Furniture offers numerous advancement opportunities, a great culture, job stability, great benefits and perks. It's wonderful to know that the company is growing by leaps and bounds.

Cons

If I had to list a con, the only thing I would list is enlarging the parking lot and possibly consider covered parking. Otherwise, I wouldn't change anything at this time.

Continue seeking input from current employees on ways to improve processes.

Arhaus is the best furniture company in the world.....

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

As an employee of almost 10 years Arhaus is unlimited in potenial growth, without a doubt the best home furnishing company to work for, no cap on commissions, you get what you give 45k - to way over 6 figures its up to YOU!!!!! after all tell me what retailer takes 50plus managers to Italy and in 2013 London...dont buy into negative reviews from lazy non - selling
    x-employees

Cons

Yes ..we clean our stores as sales associates, Its called PRIDE!!!!

John Reed knows the biz and is an unbelieveable person to work for, actually the BEST in the Industry.... that is is you like to work and enjoy being sucessful!!!!!!!

What looks like gold is not Gold!

Current Employee - Interior Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Interior Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Excellent sales techniques 2. Beautiful place to work. 3. Meatpacking popular busy area

Cons

1.The supervisor will encourage you to work beyond 40 hrs. Company will only pay for 40 hrs.
    2. Unrealistic sales goals. Especially for new hires.
    3. Deliveries will cause problems for your clients.
    4. No work/life balance, You are asked to work overtime(with no pay) to train or get more hours on sales floor,

If you realize you have a turnover. be realistic about it. Don't train so many ppl. Work with the ones you have already,

I finally found the company that I've been searching for!

Current Employee - Interior Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Interior Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been with Arhaus for 1.5 years. I love the product! Seeing all the new eclectic pieces is so refreshing to me. I've worked in the home furnishings industry for several years, and nothing about Arhaus is cookie cutter. Arhaus is definitely the leader in the home furnishings industry. Competitors are always in trying to imitate our look and furniture. Its very easy to sell because I love every piece myself.

I also work with a great group of ladies. Its a very fun store and I wouldn't change a thing! We are all competitive, but more so in beating our own personal best - not each others goals.

Cons

Be more selective with who you hire, since I have been here we have had a few associates that were not the right fit for Arhaus and especially sales. as a team we would rather work a more then to have the wrong person filling an opening.

Also the music in the store can become tedious. Please give us more options as the music sets the tone in the store!

There has been a recent change in leadership that has been positive. Again, please be selective as the leaders in stores really affect the store associates. We are now allowed to have relationships with our corporate office again which makes things simple! No more silos!

I was very unhappy working for Arhaus.

Former Employee - Interior Specialist in Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Interior Specialist in Mason, OH

I worked at Arhaus Furniture part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful store to work at...

Cons

Very stressful, unrealistic expectations, dishonesty, little actual interior design work...

U run your own business within these walls!

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is a beautiful place to work! I have been with the company for over 7 years now; from the 1st day Arhaus moved in to my state. I worked the floor as a sale's person, I did operations for the store, I helped opening two locations in my state, I trained new hires, I unloaded transfer trucks, I cleaned the bathrooms; yes, we all do it! And please.....there has to be better things to say about a company (good or bad) aside from the fact that we clean our stores! Anyhow..... people that become part of an Arhaus team to make money....stay on board, listen, learn, and pay attention. U need to understand that this may not be a place for all sales people out there; anyone that ever asks me about this place I say one thing - u run your own business within these walls. U need to think on your feet, u need to be open to changes, and adjust yourself to each unique situation.

Cons

Cons - it is a retail business operating in the USA, so it's not John's fault we are open on Sundays (try getting a cup of coffee in Vienna before noon on Sunday and u will appreciate your local coffee shop kid serving u your latte), or the fact that we can't take vacations in August (go to Italy or France in August and you will have most shops shut down for a month for a holiday - no way u get your broken iPhone fixed for 30 days!!!!) So yes, it sucks we work weekends and holidays..... If you don't like it, do not work retail! U make the choice, no one is twisting your arm here.

With all the upper management changes and growth of the company recently, we do not get to see corporate employees as much. It was always nice (stressful, but nice) to get a corporate visit. It made the new employees see what the core of this company was made out of, and people that have been around for a while got to hear 1st hand from Gary, TJ, etc about what's new and happening.