Arhaus Furniture Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014

2.5

Arhaus Furniture CEO John Reed
John Reed

Pros
  • Pretty environment to work in, nice furniture (in 7 reviews)

• Great product, great people,fun atmosphere, young enthusiastic organization (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • but then the phone rang and no one seemed to hear it (in 10 reviews)

• There is no support from upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Corporate's Making Great Money-- But YOU Won't!

Former Employee - Design Consultant
    Former Employee - Design Consultant

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time

Pros

Here' their job description: "Imagine working in an environment full of rich colors, beautiful fabrics, luxurious leathers, down feathered seating, upbeat music, fresh flowers, and unique details while having the ability to earn an unlimited income!"

Cons

Not untrue what they say about themselves in their job description at the beginning, right up to the part where it says 'unlimited income". The income is VERY limited by the following: Which store you're working in and what the spending clout of your clientele is. Look at the numbers before you swim toward the pretty, shiny objects, little fishes. Atmosphere seems nice, but you WILL be the one to cleaning the toilets and mopping the floors. The furniture looks lovely on the floor and you'll believe in it at first and you'll tell your customers how it will last forever. Try convincing them of that when they're on their second re-delivery of a table that arrived at their house (after waiting for over three months), and it's damaged. . . again . . because the warehouse doesn't check these things before loading them onto a truck, not even after there's been an issue with a previous delivery! When your customer cancels the order altogether because they're angry and frustrated, guess whose commission will be genked? Yours, little fish. YOURS!

I'm sure you think it's so lovely that Arhaus is socially aware and that they have built an orphanage in Tibet with their millions. I'm sure those kids are grateful and I don't doubt they need the help. But when you are having trouble feeding YOUR children because you work at Arhaus and made no bonus or perhaps $50 or $100 bonus (which isn't enough, I assure you.) you will start to resent that the millions of dollars of annual profits that Arhaus rakes in each year that are at the expense of their own, very hardworking employees. True, they do offer decent health insurance, which you CAN"T AFFORD unless you have another source of income. And think again, little fish. You'll be in a large tank and swimming around with a lot of sharks. Nice folks to hang out with, but it's shark-eat-shark when it comes to trying to make a living there. You may find little nibble marks where a colleague has just gotten a sale from a customer who didn't have the courtesy to ask for you after you've spent hours working with them for the sale. It happens, a lot. Just as a final point to make. . .the other bad reviews of this company are true. And by the way,I wasn't fired, I walked out behind the countless others because I simply couldn't afford to stay. I was frequently one of the strongest closers in the store, sold well over a millions dollars worth of furniture in the first 6 months I was there, but that doesn't mean I could fix my car when it needed to be fixed.

I have no advice that Arhaus management would take. When greed drives the machine, no amount of advice will changes things. From their perspective, why fix something that ain't broke, or for that matter, why fix it even if it is broke! I'm quite sure John Reed has never read one of these reviews, let alone heeded any of the advice. If he had, it would be a better company to work for and I'd still be there.l

Sep 27, 2013Talent Acquisition

We were saddened to read this review. Honestly, sales positions here or anywhere are competitive and yes clientele, traffic and sales volume varies by store location/market. We do often relocate ... More

Complete farce

Former Employee - Sales  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales in Richmond, VA

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pretty environment to work in, nice furniture.

Cons

Sales associates must clean the bathrooms, dust the floors and furniture and vacuum daily. Micro-managed in every aspect of the job. Count on making minimum wage even if you surpass your sales quota!

Pay your sales people what their worth! Stop being greedy, the company makes money hand over fist. You can afford to pay your sales people at least 6% on their total sales not after their "goal".

Sep 27, 2013Talent Acquisition

Please understand that we’ve worked hard to develop and maintain our brand image, which includes store cleanliness. We also feel our salary structure and commission program is competitive too, in our ... More

Absolutely the Worst!

Former Employee - Design Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Design Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Medical benefits were quite good.

Cons

No floor rules causing conflicts every day, self-absorbed manager, no office staff, no paging or intercom system, little customer service communication, exceptionally long hours cleaning 1 hour before opening i.e. vaccuum, wash restrooms, dust, polish, windex, run to bank, etc. At night run all reports, batch out, etc. No equipped, clean or safe lunch room (squeeze in between furniture in stock room), poor quality furniture, overkill of cheap accessories thoughout the building.

Contract a company to do analysis of work environment and FOLLOW THEIR ADVICE!

Sep 27, 2013Talent Acquisition

Please understand, we work very hard to make the in-store experience the best in the industry, and that includes clean furniture and fixtures. We also feel we support our Associates/Interior ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrific is an Understatement

Former Employee - Interior Specialist
    Former Employee - Interior Specialist

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Beautiful furniture and well put together showroom

Cons

It is just nor a professional company in any way. The interior Specialists have to wear too many hats. They have no receptionist or voicemail system so you have to run to pick up the phone even if you are engaged with a customer. Sales people do not have their own phone extension or email so communication often gets lost making follow ups difficult.
    They have no stock help so sales people have to help customers carry furniture to their cars. Sales people have to collect balances and set up deliveries and maintain customer follow ups but they don't even have a desk to sit at. And if they are standing behind the counter doing their work they are chastised by Management to get back on the floor. They have no up system so it is designed for sharks. They have high sales goals and if you fail to meet them after three months you are fired. They have secret shoppers with hidden cameras. And the worst of all is that the Interior Specialists have to come in an hour early to clean every inch of a very large store including the bathrooms. This is ridiculous since you have to dress professionally. It's not easy to scrub a toilet in pearls and high heels! The managers also sell and provide little support to the staff. The pay can be good when bonuses are made but when they are not the salary and commission rate are the lowest in the entire industry. You get the feeling working there that they do not care about you as a person. The store is a revolving door. There are very few people who last at this company.

Hire cleaning and stock people. Stop firing good people who work hard and instead invest a little more time in training properly.

Worst experience of my life in the retail business

Former Employee - Sales  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Difficult to come up with a positive comment

Cons

Unprofessional atmosphere in both the stores and corporate. Management is not trained and have no leadership or people skills. Training is non-existent after the corporate trainers leave. Corporate people are rude and treat store people like slaves. Product is not great quality for the amount of money they charge. Customer service is horrible in the corporate headquarters. Delivery issues are not addressed and the customer is left hanging with damaged items and damage in their homes from delivery people who could care less about customer service.

The owner of the company is arrogant, demeaning and could care less about the people who work for him. That was evident when he visited the store and only spoke to the young salespeople. You need leadership in all areas and a good role model in key positions. Get off your pedestal and find out what is going on in the stores.

Sep 27, 2013Talent Acquisition

We’re interested in learning more about your experience with us and other retailers you’ve worked for. Please contact us at your convenience, careers@arhaus.com and we’ll reach out to you directly.

Poor Compensation for Amount of Work

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

I met some good friends and gained some furniture knowledge

Cons

Job described as Salary PLUS Commission. INCORRECT! It was a 100% draw against commission. Store located in a mall. 95% of customers were sightseers. Luck of the draw if you could get a qualified buyer on the UP system.

Have a true salary and add commission from the first dollar sold. Employees feel lied to.

" Everybody can't be wrong! " I'm here less than a year and so far all the bad reviews I've read are very true.

Current Employee - Interior Specialist
    Current Employee - Interior Specialist

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

The team is great. Like the product very much.

Cons

Constant emphasis to 'close the sale' no matter what. Sales goals go up almost daily. The cleaning of the store is ridiculous. Not enough training or time in the day to learn about the vast amounts of product. The push to make home visits on your own time and your own dime.

Be more realistic regarding the ratio of foot traffic activity to closings of sales. Use some of the money opening so many stores towards a cleaning service. Mr. Reed, you can afford it. Staff are treated like slaves. There's a huge turn over and alot of unhappy campers.

Look for a different place to work!

Former Employee - Interior Specialist  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Interior Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with some interesting unique pieces of furniture and art objects.

Cons

Management is clueless and treated it's original New York staff very badly. They do NOT belong in New York.

Get over your big egos and treat associates honestly and with respect. Your behavior towards the original New York Sales staff was disgusting and very unprofessional. WE stayed positive, WE worked hard WHEN YOU DID NOT ADVERTISE.

Sep 27, 2013Talent Acquisition

Since the opening, we’ve made the necessary changes to the management of stores and marketing—changes needed for us to succeed in this market, as well as others across the country. We apologize for ... More

Needs to get better

Former Employee - Sales  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Beautiful products, great people, fantastic store ambiance.

Cons

Too many sales person for few customers. Too much pressure to get job done. You have to clean the store, bathrooms inclusive. Schedule is a joke. Store opens until late everyday and weekends. Salary is ridiculous.

Fair

Current Employee - Interior Specialist  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Interior Specialist in Troy, MI

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Bonus's are good when you get them.

Cons

Cleaning, not having office support, and too many sales associate's on the sales floor.

Lift up your sales people when they are having a bad month!

Worked for Arhaus Furniture? Contribute to the Community!