Arhaus Furniture

Employer Engaged

Good place to work

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Walton Hills, OH
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Walton Hills, OH

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good
    Yearly reviews & pay increase based on performance

Cons

Long days
    Lots of driving
    Promotions unlikely

As the Door Turns......

Current Employee - Store Manager in Freehold, NJ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Freehold, NJ

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The showroom is visually intoxicating. It takes your breath away. Filled with one of a kind pieces from far away lands. Well appointed pieces are showcased in an inviting manner.

Cons

This is where it gets interesting. Your are berated on a daily bases for your numbers. The pressure is insurmountable. Your expected to work on your days off, no overtime and no vacation pay. There is no support from upper management. If your appointed a store manager your time is limited. Furniture is delivered damaged on a daily bases or doesn't show up at all. No one answers you at corporate. If they do they are just rude. I've never worked for a company like this. It's a shame. They make all the stores place inspirational quotes in the break room and don't adhere to them. The positive reviews listed here are from corporate. I've never written a review before let alone a negative one..

Upper management needs to be well versed in human resources. A training program needs to be implemented at the store level.

My experience with Arhaus has always been good.

Current Employee - Visual Manager in Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Visual Manager in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people! I love the sales staff I work with everyday and the people at corporate who help me out in my position.

Cons

none really at this time

" company calls you "family", but treats you like anything but"

Current Employee - Interior Specialist
    Current Employee - Interior Specialist

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Promotes from within
    good potential to make $$
    Pretty stores
    good training

Cons

to many to list.... overworked for money paid, out -of- touch senior management.. possibly illegal work requirements, to many unrealistic expectations, no real " vacation pay" for Sales Associates, overstaffed sales floor, employee paid business cards, treated by how well your sales number are, no "open door" policy, sales associates ( not managers) act as janitors, must be willing to work daily at some capacity to succeed and make a decent living... the list could go on and on..

Treat sales associate's like gold, they are your bread and butter and front line, without them, you could have the best product on the market, but no customers. Actually listen to your sales associates concerns and input. Make changes to policies that might not be working, keep sales goals realistic. keep your sales people happy by making sure they are all making a decent living before hiring new associates which only makes it harder for your current ones to succeed. If you expect your sales force to clean, then management should also. having employee's pay for their own business cards is a crime with the amount of money this company makes, especially after a year of service. If you refuse to pay for your employees gas mileage for house calls, and expect them to do it on their days off, at least give them a higher percent commission rate when they close them. 3% for the first 35K sold is ridiculous, especially if the sales associate is selling 85+ consistently.
    Paid vacation for full-time Associates???? seriously?? Misleading and unfair, for the personal who works harder than anyone in the company, reward them by paying them for time-off instead of penalizing them! To give a sales associate their Draw while on vacation at 10 dollars an hour, the expecting them to still reach their goal that month or be forced to have to carry over to the next is NOT PAID VACATION.

Example of PAID vacation for commissioned employee's realistically would be:

Take the employees total wages made for a year , or average monthly, divide it by week or day, and pay them that rate for vacation pay. Then divide the monthly 35k draw requirement by days required to work, and lesson the amount the employee is required to sell that month in order to make commission and make their monthly goal!!! That is how REAL PAID VACATION for commissioned sales associates works in most companies that offers their sales force vacation. Sales associates get tired and burnt out, especially in this company, and it's a shame that most sales associates are actually afraid to take time off or else they are penalized or unable to make the same amount of monthly income had they NOT taken vacation. Treat your sales staff like GOLD!! .... Would senior management or non-commissioned like to take 10 dollars an hour vacation pay and then be told they are responsible for the same workload or not get paid a full months wages when they return?

When you have 10 plus associates on a floor at any given time, and only one or two associates who are working 7 days a week are making a decent living and getting by, it's time to start cutting staff so ALL the sales staff can make a living without having to work 6-7 days a week, 10-12 hour days to get paid a decent salary. More on floor is NOT better, especially when ALL the staff is frustrated and starving and struggling to make a living... a happy sales associate is a PRODUCTIVE sales associate, and makes the customer happy.
    Sales Associates who are struggling, over worked, desperate and live in fear of making numbers is a LOSING combination, and nobody wins! pay attention to your sales force turnover and ask yourselves why this is happening... invest in your sales force so they will want to stay and grow with the company, instead of leaving in less then a year out of frustration!

There are a lot of positives to this company, but the negatives far out-weigh the good, but if someone upstairs doesn't start listening, the company is going to loose a lot of good talent to competitors. If you consider your sales staff members of the Arhaus Family, treat them like you would family... would you want to see your family members barley making a living unless they worked 7 days a week? would you want them to have some rest and relaxation without being penalized for it? Would you want them to feel free to speak up and voice their concerns and frustrations knowing that they won't be scrutinized or even fired due to speaking out when they feel they're not being treated right?

When the same complaints are made over and over on this site and nothing changes, it's time to MAKE CHANGES!

Yes, there's opportunity to make decent $$ in this company, but it shouldn't be made by sacrificing ones entire life to the company knowing your expendable from one month to the next based solely on your numbers.

Not a Stellar Company

Former Employee - Interior Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Interior Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sales Commission, Pay before 3 month pass, Work Ethic They startr off very nice, but after 3 months- thhe love affair is over.

Cons

You must put in extra hours besides the 40+, you are not paid extra
    ALot of the employees get sick. Everybody and I mean everyboady is stressed out there, The manager P. is not a very good manager. The head does a better job, however, that will not keep employees there. All present employees should report them to Board of Labor. If you are working 50+ hours, you should be paid. If not, somethingis wropng with company.

Check in with employees before assuming they will come in on their day off, you are fighting a losing battle- a lot of employee turnover.Hire competent managers.

Arhaus Is What you Choose to Make It

Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

*Incentives provided for meeting and exceeding monthly sales goals- there is opportunity to make a lot of money if you work hard and know what you're doing.
    *Always promote within the company when possible
    * It is nice to be able to pick up the phone and call the district router for delivery if you have an issue, to know the names of the accounting directors if you need money moved, and you still have a close knit feel even though the company has so many stores.
    * Having a team of sales associates that you can trust and feel close too. I know this will vary from store to store, but I seriously love my associates like they are my sisters. Even though we work on commission, the store manager always tries to hire people she feels will interact well with our team. We have little turnover at our store (most of us have been there well over a year).
    *Selling quality product that you can feel good about putting into people's homes
    * We have fun. Christmas parties, bowling parties, pot lucks on the weekends.
    At the store level- I LOVE my job. It is corporate that I (and my associates) get frustrated with.

Cons

*Favoritism: Store managers and regional managers sometimes play favorites with employees.
    * Corporate constantly raises monthly sales goals making it harder and harder to make goals each month.
    * Store Managers are rewarded with trips to Italy and London, while the sales associates behind the scenes making the goals receive nothing.
    * Hard to balance home life with family life. Of course this will vary store to store. I am lucky to have a very understanding store manager. Full timers are required to work 3 weekends out of the month. During August and January (the largest sales months) you will only have 1 weekend day off.
    * Delivery issues. When I first began working with this company, we would maybe receive 1 phone call a week saying pieces were delivered damaged. Now this happens on a DAILY basis. Just yesterday, one of my associates had 2 custom sofas come in for a customer in a heinous print instead of the solid she ordered. When you are spending 2,299 on a sofa- you expect it to be right. THE FIRST TIME.
    *Penalizing the sales associates for cancels due to delivery issues. After saving a sale over and over again- after the 4th exchange for a damaged good, I think it should not be counted against us. Someone needs to be inspecting the goods more closely. It is not uncommon for an associate to have 10-15,000$ a month in cancels for delivery issues. It is really hard to come back from that.
    * You have to pay for your own business cards. Which I think is absolutely ridiculous. Paying for business cards would be a drop in the bucket for this multi-million dollar company.
    * Housecalls- You are not compensated for gas or time and have to do housecalls off the clock on your own time. When you are working 40 hours a week and have a family, these pretty much take up all your spare time. I have never worked for a design company that didn't compensate their workers for housecalls in some manner.
    * Inventory, "Cleaning Parties", corporate mandated events: about quarterly you come in to do cleaning parties which is when they split the store up into sections and you scrub the whole store top to bottom. Inventory is an all day event that they do in the spring. You are not paid for either. If you clock in, it counts against your goal...meaning you have to sell more to make up for it. You are basically working for free.

To corporate:
    Quit focusing so much on expansion and growth. Slow down and fix what needs to be fixed (delivery issues, Quality Control) before you lose your loyal customers at the stores that are already open. Don't get greedy.
    Keep the goals at reasonable amounts. Just because we hit goal the previous year for that month, doesn't mean that you should hike it 30% the following year. It is the store being able to hit 10% over every once in a while that keeps the employees motivated.

Misleading!!

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company discount of furniture. Beautiful furniture, good location for me. It was better than having no job at all but not much. I learned allot about furniture.

Cons

They lead you to believe you will make six figures but in reality you will be lucky to make $20k or 30k and you will have to work overtime to even accomplish that.

Pay your employees more and they will stay!! The turnover rate is unbelievable and upper management knows it. They just don't care! All they want is a warm body to take sales orders!!

Imagine stepping back in time to the 1950's - pretty surroundings - lots of discrimination.

Current Employee - Design Consultant

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pretty surroundings - a lot of very good people attempting to make a living in a greedy yet glitzy and pretty store front.

Cons

I was so excited when I started this job -I gave up a perfectly good although dysfunctional job.. I was told a lot of TALL tales during my interview..I sold $350,000 in my first 3 months...then the deliveries came...Approximately 40 - 60% are bad..they call it white glove delivery..however, they do not open any of the containers from overseas until it gets to the clients door...I call them clients because that is how I view everyone I deal with - this is supposed to be a customer service based industry. I do not spend a lot of time EVER writing reviews...this is for anyone who is successful...competent and intelligent. This position is frustrating...unprofitable and I believe illegal. I am never above rolling up my sleeves...but the question is...can this company expect commissioned employees to do their cleaning...we do not get paid! Can they tell us to work overtime...we do not get paid. Expect 7 day work weeks (at least in my store). Can they tell us we have to do inventory when the store is not open and we do not get paid. Can they take us off the floor for a week to do training - off site and then expect us to have the same expected sales goals when we do not get paid? WHAT IS THE EXPECTED "DRAW" RATE PER MONTH 0- IS IT $35,000....$45,000....CAN THEY CHANGE IT MONTH TO MONTH - IS IT PERSON TO PERSON - WHERE IS THE FAIRNESS ? WHAT WERE YOU TOLD WHEN YOU WERE HIRED? IS IT LEGAL TO CHANGE IT MONTHLY?---NOT SURE - BUT I DONT THINK SO - I HAVE ASKED BUT....Don't ask any questions...then you are deemed "negative". Is it legal to require "COMMISSION BASED EMPLOYEES TO DO YOUR DIRTY WORK - ARE WE INDENTURED SERVANTS? If I had the time or energy I would research these things more thoroughly...believe the reviews. there is no money to be made. Management will steal your sales and give them to others on your team, even if that person has never spoken to the client. Don't expect to get lunch breaks during busy time...and don't sit down. I was reprimanded for sitting one day and told not to speak to my co-workers. I am 48 years old - have my own business and was in a "real Professional" job for many years. When I was in corporate management I would never disrespect my employees the way that I have been disrespected here. My work ethic (which is tried and true) has been questioned. DONT TAKE THIS JOB - my bet is that this company will be sued for Unfair labor practices in the very near future....

If I thought that management would listen - I would offer advice - they are not interested in anything their designers have to say...unfortunately..all communications is "shoved" down from above - I have tried...sadly..

Hard but rewarding work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We work in a gorgeous ever changing environment.The fantastic bonus structure that rewards a great team. There is opportunity to grow, be promoted and have a career with one of the best companies in the industry. Managers are rewarded with trips to Italy and London! Our sales team gets to have hands on training with our manufacturers in North Carolina. The elite sellers in the company get all expense trips for themselves and their loved one. Fantastic!

Cons

It's retail. You have to have a thick skin and stay positive. Successful people at Arhaus work their tails off. This is true with any successful career person. Yes, we clean because we take PRIDE in our product. I used to sell Mercedes Benz...Guess who shoveled the snow off the cars in the lot??? There are growing pains that any company with our rate of growth (The store I work in has DOUBLED the sales from 3 short years ago!!) is experiencing, but we are a work in progress.

Sometimes things just aren't working the way they should. That's the reality of business. It's far better to acknowledge those issues to your team than to pretend that everything is perfect. Stop charging your employees for business cards. They certainly should be provided for employees that have been with the company for a year.

Challenging sales position

Former Employee - Sales in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Canton, OH

I worked at Arhaus Furniture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Unique product, clean upscale environment.

Cons

Lot of product knowledge to learn. Constant monthly sales deadlines.