Ariat

Updated February 19, 2015
Updated February 19, 2015
3.7

Beth Cross

Tremendous opportunity in an organization fueled by great products, people, and processes.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Union City, CA

I worked at Ariat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leading brand represented by the best sales team in the industry who always deliver. Opportunity for growth both in the business and for team members who want to grow and develop. Close attention to monitoring business metrics which leads to better results. Lack of pretense in the environment and from the CEO. Fair and competitive compensation packages. Dog friendly!

Cons

Opportunity to further develop training programs for employees.

Listen to the teams, be curious, and maintain the very special culture that has been in place over the years.

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Union City, CA
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Union City, CA

I have been working at Ariat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful co workers
    Great employee incentives
    Really recognizes peoples strengthsr

Cons

Not a lot of formal training

N/A

Not a Great Place to Work -- C-level management a serious problem

Former Employee - Decline to State in Union City, CA
    Former Employee - Decline to State in Union City, CA

I worked at Ariat full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you have no other way to make a living in the Bay Area and you must take a job... think twice about working at Ariat.

Cons

Dishonest management; no training at any level - sink or swim and then get blamed when you sink; totally incompetent leadership; complete disregard for work-life balance; troubling quality and safety controls around the product; abusive treatment of employees by C-level management.

Be honest about the problems in the top management. Get serious about product safety and integrity. Stop turning a blind eye toward the health and safety of your consumers. Stop ignoring your problem children in Management. Stop allowing your HR team to create cliques and perks for "Sorority Row" - admit, and change, the fact that you put the inner circle above everyone else. Stop firing the talented Executives that have integrity and commitment to the brand.

Ariat Response

Nov 28, 2014President

One of our most closely held beliefs at Ariat is our commitment to continual improvement, and being willing to learn from negative feedback. While this review was tough to read, we know that any ... More

Wow

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Ariat (more than a year)

Pros

Pay can be good, when things are good. Great time be number one

Cons

Lots of pressure on the sales team. Always someone else to blame. Horrible work life balance.

More contact

Going on 4 years

I have been working at Ariat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ariat is a great place to work. I have been there for almost 5 years, and I continue to be challenged and enjoy the work. People are treated fairly, and there is lots of growth, which makes it a more interesting place to work. Beth Cross has done an amazing job of leading the company and developing the company vision. Overall, there is solid leadership at the top. Good financial controls, strong product and marketing leadership, and operations as well. The Company lets people bring their dogs to work, which adds a friendly touch to the atmosphere. There is a blend of both new and old-time employees, which is nice. The Company seems to really care about its employees and is doing more in the way of training and leadership development than it used to. It is also renovating its building, creating an even better environment for the employees.

Cons

With growth comes of course difficulties with prioritization and employee bandwidth, but I would take growth and new challenges any day over downsizing, cost cutting, and a job that never changes.

Upper management seems to do a pretty good job of communication, but you can never overcommunicate to your employees, so keep the regular updates coming.

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at Ariat full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Profitable, smart, growing company
    Strives to be a great place to work
    Fun product - footwear and denim
    Good benefits and opportunity for yearly bonus
    Bring your dog to work;-)
    Easy and free parking
    Lots of new employees bring new energy

Cons

Opportunistic - can't be everything to everyone
    No clear path for growth, especially for Managers and Directors
    Lacks process for decision making
    Not enough collaboration among departments
    Needs to invest in systems, too many manual processes - often feels like you are working in the 80's
    Corporate office could use a makeover
    Culture welcomes opinion, however too many opinions can be exhausting especially when they are negative

Don't lose your innovation and technology roots. It's a huge advantage. Look for ways to have an open and collaborative environment. Have a vision for employees and a path for promotion or you will lose good people in the end.

Great company - Growing with lots of opportunity

I have been working at Ariat

Pros

Well worth the commute to Union City - Great people, product and exciting business plan. Casual work environment. Ariat is growing so lots of opportunity for everyone - Unlike bigger companies, it is easy to get things done, new ideas are welcome and its not political. They are working on increasing formal development for all employees and committed to being a great place to work.

Cons

Ariat is growing fast so some things that you might be used to in a larger, older company are in development. Restaurants are mainly limited to chains but if you do a little homework, you can find awesome Vietnamese, Indian and Mexican food.

Ariat has been the best workplace experience I've ever had!

I have been working at Ariat

Pros

Casual, fun work environment, empowered to do my job, total culture fit for me personally, love my co-workers - love my job!

Cons

If you work here you will agree - parking during the months of March and April due to other tenants in our business park!

Ariat has accomplished major milestones in it's short life because of it's dedicated, talented, integrity driven workforce. It is such a pleasure to work with the people I interact with everyday.

Unqualified management. No direction.

I have been working at Ariat

Pros

New, clean building. Nice kitchen and appliances.
    Secure location, plenty of parking. Near the freeways.
    Employees get along because everyone talks about how miserable it is; much commiseration.

Cons

Owner and managers are unqualified. Not only is there a lack of direction, the direction changes daily. Lack of honest in the interviewing process - you have no idea what you're setting yourself up for. Cover-ups in management so even going to HR or directly to the owner gets you no where.

Hire someone that knows how to run a business. Don't just throw around "director" and "senior" titles; these people have no idea what they are doing. Once a project gets started, don't just forget about it. Hard work goes into these things and it ruins morale when hard work is just ignored or lost and moved on to something else (that will never go through). Split up your posse and fire upper management.

Not enough career development

I have been working at Ariat

Pros

interesting product, ideals are good

Cons

ideals are not the reality, catty people, lack of trust

Cut the fat, fire the incompetent people in high positions