Ariat

Ariat Reviews

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Beth Cross

Going on 4 years

ProsAriat is a great place to work. I have been there for almost 5 years, and I continue to be challenged and enjoy the work. People are treated fairly, and there is lots of growth, which makes it a more interesting place to work. Beth Cross has done an amazing job of leading the company and developing the company vision. Overall, there is solid leadership at the top. Good financial controls, strong product and marketing leadership, and operations as well. The Company lets people bring their dogs to work, which adds a friendly touch to the atmosphere. There is a blend of both new and old-time employees, which is nice. The Company seems to really care about its employees and is doing more in the way of training and leadership development than it used to. It is also renovating its building, creating an even better environment for the employees.

ConsWith growth comes of course difficulties with prioritization and employee bandwidth, but I would take growth and new challenges any day over downsizing, cost cutting, and a job that never changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management seems to do a pretty good job of communication, but you can never overcommunicate to your employees, so keep the regular updates coming.

Great Place to Work!

ProsProfitable, smart, growing company
    Strives to be a great place to work
    Fun product - footwear and denim
    Good benefits and opportunity for yearly bonus
    Bring your dog to work;-)
    Easy and free parking
    Lots of new employees bring new energy

ConsOpportunistic - can't be everything to everyone
    No clear path for growth, especially for Managers and Directors
    Lacks process for decision making
    Not enough collaboration among departments
    Needs to invest in systems, too many manual processes - often feels like you are working in the 80's
    Corporate office could use a makeover
    Culture welcomes opinion, however too many opinions can be exhausting especially when they are negative

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose your innovation and technology roots. It's a huge advantage. Look for ways to have an open and collaborative environment. Have a vision for employees and a path for promotion or you will lose good people in the end.

Great company - Growing with lots of opportunity

ProsWell worth the commute to Union City - Great people, product and exciting business plan. Casual work environment. Ariat is growing so lots of opportunity for everyone - Unlike bigger companies, it is easy to get things done, new ideas are welcome and its not political. They are working on increasing formal development for all employees and committed to being a great place to work.

ConsAriat is growing fast so some things that you might be used to in a larger, older company are in development. Restaurants are mainly limited to chains but if you do a little homework, you can find awesome Vietnamese, Indian and Mexican food.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ariat has been the best workplace experience I've ever had!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Union City, CA

ProsCasual, fun work environment, empowered to do my job, total culture fit for me personally, love my co-workers - love my job!

ConsIf you work here you will agree - parking during the months of March and April due to other tenants in our business park!

Advice to Senior ManagementAriat has accomplished major milestones in it's short life because of it's dedicated, talented, integrity driven workforce. It is such a pleasure to work with the people I interact with everyday.

Unqualified management. No direction.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Union City, CA

ProsNew, clean building. Nice kitchen and appliances.
    Secure location, plenty of parking. Near the freeways.
    Employees get along because everyone talks about how miserable it is; much commiseration.

ConsOwner and managers are unqualified. Not only is there a lack of direction, the direction changes daily. Lack of honest in the interviewing process - you have no idea what you're setting yourself up for. Cover-ups in management so even going to HR or directly to the owner gets you no where.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire someone that knows how to run a business. Don't just throw around "director" and "senior" titles; these people have no idea what they are doing. Once a project gets started, don't just forget about it. Hard work goes into these things and it ruins morale when hard work is just ignored or lost and moved on to something else (that will never go through). Split up your posse and fire upper management.

Not enough career development

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Union City, CA

Prosinteresting product, ideals are good

Consideals are not the reality, catty people, lack of trust

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the fat, fire the incompetent people in high positions

Great company with a lot more potential

ProsGreat quality products. Best in the industry.

ConsSmall company type processes as far as people and systems

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in more HQ resources; People, systems, analysis.

A Great Place to Work

Pros- Company is founded on concrete ideals
    - Industry pioneer -- Ariat has a history of breaking new ground in the equestrian market
    - Clean, safe office location
    - General sense of integrity

Cons- Not all managers know how to manage humans
    - Commute is generally across the bridge
    - Middle management can be incompetent at times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Review sites like these are generally self-selective in nature -- one only writes a review if they are either extremely satisfied or dissatisfied (and usually it's the latter). Keep the workplace "human" -- there's a valuable sense of compassion at Ariat that can be taken for granted.

Great products but no career path

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFun product line of boots and clothing
    Successful company is leader in its field
    Team is hardworking and fun
    Office is nice

ConsLeadership skills in senior management
    No career track for most employees or it is unclear how to move up
    No training

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more training programs that allow employees to develop to their maximum potential. It will be good for the company too.

Worked for Ariat? Contribute to the Community!