Ariba

Ariba Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Ariba Chairman and CEO Bob Calderoni

Bob Calderoni

Pros:
  • "Love the work/life balance;enjoy laid back work environment"
    in 11 reviews
  • "In my short stint, I interacted with some smart people"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "HR says work life balance is there, but dont give any support for employees working late nights"
    in 14 reviews
  • "If 40% of staff is only managing who is left out to do Bug Fixing"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

This company is a 19th century giant factory of BUGS!!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsUsed to have more or less OK salary and some stock, now does not offer any stock, so average

ConsThis is a dump of bugs with bugs on top of bugs, technology is SUPER old, ignorant arrogant managers who have no idea how to lead the company.

I completely agree that this company looks like a hive of MAS (Mutually Admiring Society) like mentioned in the previous review. HR is absolutely of no use. There is no personal development encouraged, there are no team activities, company activities whatsoever.

I honestly feel pity for Ariba customers who have to deal with a rotten piece of "cloud" technology and are hooked on this technology. I really wish they had some escape to something more modern and less buggy. There are critical production issues happening almost every 4-5 days and everyone in the company is running around screaming and fixing stuff.

Bugs can float around unfixed for years, they just bounce from one team to another. I've seen bugs opened in 2011 and still not fixed as of today.

Architecture (if we can even call it that way) of the Ariba system is super-ancient, it is completely proprietary, no modern technologies are used. Every little modification in the system can cause unexpected behavior; it is not possible to fix something without breaking something else.

Setup / Configure / Build workflow is EXTREMELY slow and the "learning" curve is so steep that by the end of it you want to curse everyone and everything. During the initial setup you have a feeling that the setup process is overcoming issues instead of setting up the environment. It will take you months before you even understand the process a little.

Now, let me tell you more about bugs. This company has an enormous number of bugs, the sole activity people do there is fixing bugs. There is no rotation, no exciting development, no new technologies brought in, no innovation happening, it is EVERYDAY BUG FIXING only.

You are supposed to fix a certain number of bugs per week, if you don't, you will be brainwashed by the management and told repeatedly how important your role is as a Principal or Senior Bug Fixer is and if you excel as a bug fixer maybe they will give you a real development job. Guess what - NEVER. You will be fixing bugs for years like everyone else.

There is no career growth. How many bugs should one fix to be promoted from one level of "Bug Fixer" to the next ?

How can one be creative and productive if all he does is fixing bugs every day FOR YEARS.

Staff turnover in the company is just insane. I have seen many people leaving left and right after couple of year or couple of months of being on board only because they did not want to eventually become Senior Bug Fixers and after some years have nothing to put into their resumes.

This is a classic example of a company that rots from inside. My thinking is that SAP bought Ariba for their client base, but definitely NOT because of the 19th century "cloud" technology.

So the moral of this story is - if you want to be yet another mosquito on this swamp - welcome to the club, but if you are an ambitious DEVELOPER, stay away. I only wish I knew what I was signing up for when I joined.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice, it would be useless, I have tried to reason with them for years and it lead to nothing at all. This whole company has to be torn upside down to bring some changes

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge company with room for growth

ConsLarge company so if you prefer entrepreneurial spirit, it is not there.

Eventful, everyone is nice and offer a lot to teach.

Intern (Current Employee)

ProsCo-Workers, Company perks, Managment, Not overwhelming work.

ConsNot a lot to say on this, its a good company maybe salary.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Completely underpay internally promoted people

Network Growth Manager (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

Proseasy work - and people leave you alone if you just do your job

Conspay is not comparable to other outside hires

Advice to Senior Managementbe honest - we are losing the culture due to SAP - it is becoming mindless and it is scary - SAP is ruining this company

Consulting Experience at Ariba

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsWork challenges are great. Lots of responsibility. Chances to shine are many. Things looking great with the SAP acquisition.

ConsWork-life balance is very hard to maintain. Inspite of doing great work, rewards are far and few. Growth is slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people, especially the ones who are bringing in the revenue.

Great People, Good Company

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsManagement is flexible to your needs, group of smart individuals, great training program.

ConsApplying resources to the project is not an efficient process.

Excellent company to work for, plenty of opportunities to learn and advance.

Information Technology (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsExcellent work environment, plenty of opportunities to learn and advance ones knowledge.

ConsNo real cons to speak of.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Not so good

(Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsEnterprise software is a good domain to learn.
    You can learn a lot if you are given the time.

ConsManagement layer above first line managers is bad. They will not admit the mistakes they make and push the blame down. People in power tend to abuse it. It certainly seems to be the case here. Top heavy. Process heavy. Process seems to be the solution to all problems but ends up exacerbating it. No sense of empowerment. Public humiliation in some meetings. Internal demos are a farce. You may develop a good product only to see it publicly nitpicked over some trivial issue. No, its not Apple's culture of excellence if thats what you are thinking. Schedule is king. Beware if you slip. Constant stress and negativity. No work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow does one change the incorrigible?

trying to make it but not quite

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat people, generally working together as a team

Conscompany could never quite become the leader it wanted to be despite acquisition

Advice to Senior Managementget acquired (they did!)

A great place with opportunities

ProsThere are opportunities to do different things all the time. Some people may not like changes often but it affords people the chance to try new things.
    People are available and willing to help you at all levels.

ConsThere is no hand holding you through your carrier. You must take ownership of it yourself.

Worked for Ariba? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ariba reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ariba CEO Bob Calderoni. All 213 reviews posted anonymously by Ariba employees.