Ariba

Ariba Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Ariba Chairman and CEO Bob Calderoni

Bob Calderoni

Pros:
  • "Love the work/life balance;enjoy laid back work environment"
    in 11 reviews
  • "In my short stint, I interacted with some smart people"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "HR says work life balance is there, but dont give any support for employees working late nights"
    in 14 reviews
  • "If 40% of staff is only managing who is left out to do Bug Fixing"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Run, Fire

I have been working at Ariba full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBeer Friday was nice. San Fran is not a far drive from Sunnyvale

ConsShort and simple, Ariba maintains a system and employee culture where they are far too busy putting out fires and far, far, far too busy to consider doing anything at all to prevent them from blazing out of control.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly you can prevent forest fires

Survival Challenge you should experience once

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Ariba full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are many reviews about Ariba that were either good (Written by Ariba HR themselves) and bad (Written by current or former colleagues) that pretty much captures the essence. I want my review to be little different without any bias.

You may be someone who is
a) Evaluating a career option with Ariba
b) Someone who got the offer from Ariba and curious to know the culture of Ariba

This is a survival guide for wanna be employees of Ariba.

1. Don't speak your mind, it may get you in to trouble, you may be considered as a rebel. There are lot of selfish people, people are made to be that way over the years.
2. Writing code is the least of all challenge. I mean it. You need to be persuasive, polite, show respect to seniors, above all a lot of patience to get any work done. Remember the saying 'patience pays off'.
3. You need a combination of skills to succeed at Ariba. If you think writing code is what matters to a software company, this is the wrong place. Old timers hate any new ideas.
4. Technical Review Panel (TRP) have to bless all your code. Establish a good rapport with these guys, it has good rewards.
5. Don't expect any promotions. Promotions are only for bosses pets.

ConsI have said everything in Pro's

Changing Times

I have been working at Ariba

ProsWith Ariba now being part of the wider SAP community, it now brings more opportunities for career development if you can get in touch with the right contacts.

ConsTo much staff turnover driven by poor managerial decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh staff turnover currently within the Ariba team, due to organisational changes and lack of management engagement.

An average place to work at!

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Ariba full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Small company, so better visibility

Cons-Outdated technologies. Don't expect to learn any latest technologies
-No work life balance, there is only work
-Average pay
-A "very" bad HR
-Promotions are slow

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it attractive for Engineers to work in!

Great company, but steer clear of Customer Support

Deployment Project Manager (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ariba full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Many different departments and roles: you can start at an entry-level position and easily transition to something more interesting (or to another company that uses Ariba) once you gain experience with the software
- Active culture that encourages jumping from role to role (this is a pro if you are trying to climb up the corporate ladder)
- Good starting pay for external hires
- Nice benefits overall, particularly tuition reimbursement ($8,500/year) and paternity/maternity leave (2 weeks/12weeks paid)

Cons- Absurd nepotism in Customer Support: literally every "Senior Manager" in the PIttsburgh office is from a single family
- Active culture that encourages jumping from role to role (this is a con if you like to stay in a position for a while; your team will likely have a LOT of turnover)
- Merit and promotion increases are underwhelming for a company that is dominating the market (though at least they have yearly merit increases)
- SAP is slowly taking over and removing some trademark benefits (e.g., winter break) while adding tons of red tape with their bloated time/travel/expense/security policies

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let SAP obliterate the Ariba and previously FreeMarkets culture. They purchased us because we were doing a lot of things right.

good company that was a high flyer but settled into a very durable ongoing business

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ariba full-time for more than 8 years

Prosinteresting space to be in during the dot com days

Consmanagement tended to have their favorites and consolidated those people in whatever location they were in so it was sometimes hard to move up if you did not want to relocate

Still feel the pain

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Ariba full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay and benefits are decent.

ConsStill feel the pain of working here after bailing out months ago. And its not just for me but a lot of folks who have worked there. You would think that there would be some fond memories. The deterioration started with tagging people as "resources", putting them on a spreadsheet, and allocation them to random projects without any training or ramp up time as a 100% resource. The company should realize that skills are not interchangeable, a good app engineer may not be a good infrastructure engineer or a UI engineer. Let people do the jobs that they are good at and give them choices - it will benefit both the people and the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no management only mismanagement.

Great place to work

I have been working at Ariba full-time

ProsAriba cares for their employees, competitive pay and benefits

ConsThere is room for growth, but it's not always clear on how to move in the company

Non-Technical Managers/Painfull Code Review Process/Egoistic TRP Panel/Zero Learning

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Ariba full-time for more than a year

ProsNothing really get to see some dumb managers who know nothing but just to count the number of bugs left out to fix.Ariba only strategy in India is pay high salary and keep people fixing bugs.

ConsWork:- Worst work man horrible people hardly write any code here.I have hardly seen people write any code just they keep playing around with configuration files.

Managers:- Worst they don't do any work ,Why do need so many managers and directors when work is only bug fixing ,we need bug fixers not people who can give us advise on how many is left out daily.I don't understand why Ariba Wastes Money by hiring Managers/Directors.

TRP :- This is sadistic panel full of egoistic people they want you to bow before them and beg them for permission to check-in code.Have you ever seen of begging to get permissions for check-in code?Code is wrong word its a set of configuration files always. TRP panel has been biggest contributor for attrition in Ariba Bangalore office.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet Rid of the TRP Panel or give them some advise or else everyone will leave.

Very Bad

Consultant QA (Former Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I worked at Ariba full-time for more than a year

ProsDidn't have a great experience so no pros.

ConsWorked there for 2 years and those were the worst years in my career of over 10 years.
No proper task allocation, a junior with no managerial skills was made manager and he was a 'micro, follow people to rest room to ask updates' person.
Promotions given only to those who act unprofessional and close to manager.
Manager would call you even at 11.30PM for not so serious work updates. Really crazy and would ask you tomorrow on why you didn't pick the calls.
Adhoc meetings will be convened when the manager sees you pack up your things and walk towards the exit.
No planning in anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have already sold to SAP.I will never ever work for anyone of your so called managers wherever they are in the industry. If there are in anyway related to my workflow and above me, I will find the exit and move.

Worked for Ariba? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ariba reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ariba CEO Bob Calderoni. All 203 reviews posted anonymously by Ariba employees.