Ariba

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Shawn Price

Pros
  • There's a decent work-life balance s (in 14 reviews)

• Excellent work environment, plenty of opportunities to learn and advance ones knowledge (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • For senior management there may not be much of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• If 40% of staff is only managing who is left out to do Bug Fixing (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Not that great!

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ariba full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and vacation time are good. For some teams, it has a very flexible working hours and locations. Pays are OK as well!

Cons

It depends on the team you work for. For customer support organization, if you are young (fresh out of high school), and good looking (for women), you will get promoted very fast. Otherwise, you will be working at the same job forever. For the commercial team, it depends on who you know and not what you know. If you are a managers puppy, you will get promoted really fast! Overall, there is no direction with the management, no clear guidance! And half of the time, they don't even know how to do their jobs!That is why it got acquired by SAP.

I know they don't care, so no words!

Great company with a start up feel

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ariba full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

very intrepreneural and has great vision

Cons

bought by SAP, which will have the effect of causing inertia

Keep small company feel and keep employees satisfies

Supplier Manager

Former Employee - Supplier Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Supplier Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ariba full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Place to work at

Cons

None I can think of

Good job

A good place to start out and get some experience

Former Employee - Customer Support Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ariba full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- good bonuses
    - lots of opportunity to advance
    - lots of training opportunities depending on your professional interests
    - easy to access downtown location, very nice office space compared to other companies ive worked at

Cons

- extreme nepotism, cliques, some of the least intelligent people i've worked with get promoted quickly
    - starting pay isn't great
    - call center daily grind can be overwhelming and depressing

My worst job, a real nightmare as an APAC customer support

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist

I have been working at Ariba full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free drinks, free lunch once every week
    Can Access SAP resources
    Great location

Cons

1. The coworkers here the the rudest I've velvet had! No one offers help to new hire
    2. Full of depressed, low caliber coworkers
    3. Manager is incompetent, offer little help to newcomers
    4. The hr people lack professionalism, and the while hr department is dysfunctional.
    5. Extremely low wages
    6. Everyone here are unhappy and look depressed

Do not come here, it'll be your nightmare!

Create a friendly workplace, launch real employee development programs.
    Improve morale

No work life balance, good pay, lot of learning

I have been working at Ariba

Pros

Ariba has a fast paced environment where you can expect to face new challenges all the time. You learn a lot about cloud engineering.

Cons

Do not expect to have a work life balance. People work twice as hard due to poor infrastructure and tight schedules.

Get serious about work life balance. Not just talk about it but show results,

This company is a 19th century giant factory of BUGS!!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Ariba full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Used to have more or less OK salary and some stock, now does not offer any stock, so average

Cons

This is a dump of bugs with bugs on top of bugs, technology is SUPER old, ignorant arrogant managers who have no idea how to lead the company.

I completely agree that this company looks like a hive of MAS (Mutually Admiring Society) like mentioned in the previous review. HR is absolutely of no use. There is no personal development encouraged, there are no team activities, company activities whatsoever.

I honestly feel pity for Ariba customers who have to deal with a rotten piece of "cloud" technology and are hooked on this technology. I really wish they had some escape to something more modern and less buggy. There are critical production issues happening almost every 4-5 days and everyone in the company is running around screaming and fixing stuff.

Bugs can float around unfixed for years, they just bounce from one team to another. I've seen bugs opened in 2011 and still not fixed as of today.

Architecture (if we can even call it that way) of the Ariba system is super-ancient, it is completely proprietary, no modern technologies are used. Every little modification in the system can cause unexpected behavior; it is not possible to fix something without breaking something else.

Setup / Configure / Build workflow is EXTREMELY slow and the "learning" curve is so steep that by the end of it you want to curse everyone and everything. During the initial setup you have a feeling that the setup process is overcoming issues instead of setting up the environment. It will take you months before you even understand the process a little.

Now, let me tell you more about bugs. This company has an enormous number of bugs, the sole activity people do there is fixing bugs. There is no rotation, no exciting development, no new technologies brought in, no innovation happening, it is EVERYDAY BUG FIXING only.

You are supposed to fix a certain number of bugs per week, if you don't, you will be brainwashed by the management and told repeatedly how important your role is as a Principal or Senior Bug Fixer is and if you excel as a bug fixer maybe they will give you a real development job. Guess what - NEVER. You will be fixing bugs for years like everyone else.

There is no career growth. How many bugs should one fix to be promoted from one level of "Bug Fixer" to the next ?

How can one be creative and productive if all he does is fixing bugs every day FOR YEARS.

Staff turnover in the company is just insane. I have seen many people leaving left and right after couple of year or couple of months of being on board only because they did not want to eventually become Senior Bug Fixers and after some years have nothing to put into their resumes.

This is a classic example of a company that rots from inside. My thinking is that SAP bought Ariba for their client base, but definitely NOT because of the 19th century "cloud" technology.

So the moral of this story is - if you want to be yet another mosquito on this swamp - welcome to the club, but if you are an ambitious DEVELOPER, stay away. I only wish I knew what I was signing up for when I joined.

No advice, it would be useless, I have tried to reason with them for years and it lead to nothing at all. This whole company has to be torn upside down to bring some changes

Ok, but lots of room for improvement

I have been working at Ariba full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Solid foundation and great benefits

Cons

Old code base and slow to innovate.

Great company

I worked at Ariba full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large company with room for growth

Cons

Large company so if you prefer entrepreneurial spirit, it is not there.

Completely underpay internally promoted people

Current Employee - Network Growth Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Network Growth Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ariba full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

easy work - and people leave you alone if you just do your job

Cons

pay is not comparable to other outside hires

be honest - we are losing the culture due to SAP - it is becoming mindless and it is scary - SAP is ruining this company