Ariba

Ariba Chairman and CEO Bob Calderoni

Bob Calderoni

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Still feel the pain

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Ariba full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay and benefits are decent.

ConsStill feel the pain of working here after bailing out months ago. And its not just for me but a lot of folks who have worked there. You would think that there would be some fond memories. The deterioration started with tagging people as "resources", putting them on a spreadsheet, and allocation them to random projects without any training or ramp up time as a 100% resource. The company should realize that skills are not interchangeable, a good app engineer may not be a good infrastructure engineer or a UI engineer. Let people do the jobs that they are good at and give them choices - it will benefit both the people and the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no management only mismanagement.

Not so good

I have been working at Ariba full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEnterprise software is a good domain to learn.
You can learn a lot if you are given the time.

ConsManagement layer above first line managers is bad. They will not admit the mistakes they make and push the blame down. People in power tend to abuse it. It certainly seems to be the case here. Top heavy. Process heavy. Process seems to be the solution to all problems but ends up exacerbating it. No sense of empowerment. Public humiliation in some meetings. Internal demos are a farce. You may develop a good product only to see it publicly nitpicked over some trivial issue. No, its not Apple's culture of excellence if thats what you are thinking. Schedule is king. Beware if you slip. Constant stress and negativity. No work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow does one change the incorrigible?

Good for people who want to end their career here or retire....worst for others

Senior Captain (Former Employee)

I worked at Ariba full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get to work with talented and smart people.
Salary offered is competitive.

ConsLaid back approach, few new features/enhancement coming in.
Good for people who want to retire or end their career here.
They own a propriety stack which is poorly documented and not much help from peers.
No opportunities for new joiners and first year you shall be working on fixing bugs, editing csvs, xmls, etc
Energy level is very low amongst employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to motivate your employees, simply giving ppt presentations and talks every quarter doesn't help.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outdated Technology Stack, Methodologies and Processes

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ariba

Pros- colleagues are generally nice and competent people
- new campus with lots of parking and free drinks
- weekly informal get-together

Cons- product is married to a proprietary technology stack that is hard to learn, poorly documented, and has a limited feature set
- aversion to open source, with a strong not-invented-here mentality (Ariba Web does not count)
- open hostility towards engineering practices like test automation, code coverage, etc. that do not directly correlate to new or better features
- outdated engineering processes

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom an engineering perspective, spend some time to clean up your technical debt and embrace modern engineering processes

From a management perspective, please don't drive your engineers to work nights and weekends.

Terrible leadership, terrible place to work.

Senior Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Ariba

ProsThe one good thing about Ariba is they give a lot of vacation time. But you need it if you have to deal with all the political BS there.

ConsThe people and the politics. There are a few good people, but for the most part nobody gives a crap and just looks out for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour incompetence is unmatched in any company I've ever seen.

No innovation, old technology stacks

Senior QA Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Ariba full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAriba has a very rigorous recruitment process and the people hired are top notch.
Peers and colleagues will be very helpful and intelligent
Weekly beer bash on Fridays
Perks and benefits pretty decent by Bay area standard.
Flexible on working from home, good for people with family.

ConsNo innovation. They have a propriety code which is very heavy and interdependent among its modules. No documentation and takes time to learn.
Employee morale is very low. They keep on hiring more and more VPs, directors and PMs some of whom are of no good.
Some teams have to co-ordinate with India team on daily basis which can get frustrating.
Life for Ops team is a hell.
Senior management talks big in managerial and technical jargons and delivers less on paper.

A huge waste of career time fixing their proprietary bugs. AVOID THESE GUYS!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ariba

ProsLearned a lot about huge configuration management issues and a **few** other interesting pickups. Good benefits and vacation.

ConsExtremely arrogant management, very click-ish, terrible people skills, poor work life balance, millions of lines of code that is ancient and of little value to your next employer, very old architecture. They are opening a Shanghai development center and heavily staffing their Bangalore development center. You will spend a lot of time talking to them to all hours of the night.

You will be assigned to work on bugs for your first year of employment. If you do not excel at this, you will not make the cut and will be let go. Absolutely no documentation and people are so stressed with work, few people will take the time help you out. You are on your own, Pilgrim.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and appreciate your people and not just the ones who have been there 10 years and know all the code.

Not an exciting or pleasant environment.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ariba

ProsGood compensation and benefits - 20 PTO days plus extra holiday in late December. The company is currently doing well, and is therefore a stable place to work.

ConsThe culture is (inadvertently) hostile to new blood and new ideas. The software stack is proprietary and increasingly out of date, yet new employees are expected to hit the ground running without any training. Development processes and policies are not the most effective, and lead to micro-managing, along with a lack of a true spirit of teamwork. Not a good place for a senior engineer to join, unless you don't mind being an over-paid code monkey.

Advice to Senior ManagementAriba Engineering has a culture problem, which needs to be addressed sooner or later. Change has to be initiated from the top.

Ok company with boring technology

ProsSmart people
Process oriented (can be a con)
Good compensation and benefit, 4 weeks vacation + 1 week Christmas break

ConsThe company is stuck with 10 year old technology stack with ill-documented proprietary frameworks. What you learn is mostly only applicable to Ariba. Not much interesting stuff is going on. The company is not really innovative. People seem busy but they are not producing much. This is a quite boring place.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to innovate. It's not easy given the budgetary constraints, but as time goes by, the proprietary stuff will only get more out-dated. Company will have hard time attracting and retaining people.

Not very good

I have been working at Ariba

ProsGood technology, financially stable, subscription base is stable

Consmicro management, very unfriendly, no exposure to external technology

Advice to Senior Managementbetter treatment of employees

Worked for Ariba? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ariba reviews and ratings in Sunnyvale, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ariba CEO Bob Calderoni. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Ariba employees.