Ariens

Updated October 27, 2014
3.8

Ariens President and CEO Daniel T. Ariens
Daniel T. Ariens

Friendly people with a strong desire to actually enjoy work.

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Brillion, WI
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Brillion, WI

I have been working at Ariens as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere with an open door policy for every tier of management. Everyone is friendly to you if approached correctly. Significant freedom in work.

Cons

Contradictions from a growing company and lack of cooperation between managers. Little overtime. Sometimes you struggle to find work in the off-season.

Disappointing

I worked at Ariens full-time

Pros

The company had a great family feel and it was a wonderful place to work but recently they are going through a change and letting many good employees go that built that culture.

Cons

There isn't a feeling of stability with employee at Ariens any more. The company is in growth mode and they are forgetting about the culture that got them to where they are.

Ariens 20 year employee

Current Employee - Manager in Brillion, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Brillion, WI

I have been working at Ariens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family owned, family culture, ownership cares about employees and the community. Employees have a voice in what happens and opportunities to do many different tasks. Great quality products you can take pride in.

Cons

It's a growing company with a lot of new people, it will take some time to sort that out. As the company grows there is some stress due to needed changes, but exciting at the same time.

Core Values are at the Core of the Company

I have been working at Ariens

Pros

At Ariens Company, its core values are at the heart of the company and really drive business decisions. They aren't just buzz words or words upon a paper. They are lived by all employees.

Be honest
    Be fair
    Keep our commitments
    Respect the individual
    Encourage intellectual curiosity

The future for this company is certainly bright, and I am happy to be an employee here where I feel that I can make a difference daily and am respected. Plus, I am proud to part of a company dedicated to manufacturing products in the USA!

Cons

Some people may consider the location as a "con," but it's really only a short drive from Appleton, Green Bay, and Manitowoc.

Keep making positive changes and continue to lead by example!

Growing fast with lots of opportunity

I have been working at Ariens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is growing very fast in multiple geographies, work with highly talented people, good pay, open door policy with all executives, opportunity for growth

Cons

Limited things to do in Brillion, hours are a bit old fashioned (730-430)

Change the working hours or make them more flexible. 730am is too early for most when there is likely a 30-40min commute involved. Add more things to offer as a company in brillion - company gym, cafe, employee clubs, etc.

Family Feel and Great People

I have been working at Ariens

Pros

Very smart passionate group of employees. I love working with all of them. There are many employees who have spent 20 or more years with Ariens. They all stay for a reason. There is something special here.

Cons

Has experienced very rapid growth recently. This has caused some "growing pains" which is common when companies experience that type of rapid growth.

Don't forget to bring the people along on the growth journey.

A great culture rooted in the core values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brillion, WI

I have been working at Ariens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ariens is a unique culture rooted in the five core values - Be Honest, Be Fair, Keep Our Commitments, Respect the Individual, Encourage Intellectual Curiosity. The company has a very collaborative approach. I am empowered to do my job, my opinion matters, and I make a difference. The leaders really care and listen.

Cons

Some of the practices are a bit dated, but management seems to be on the right track to review and update things as needed.

Keep doing what you are doing. As you grow, continue to ensure you have the right leaders in place for a larger, more complex organization for today and tomorrow.

Ariens offering low pay for machinists. Job fair was disappointing.

Current Employee - Machinist in Brillion, WI
    Current Employee - Machinist in Brillion, WI

I have been working at Ariens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Different shifts available. Business is expanding.

Cons

Machinist pay offered only in the $14.00 dollar range. This amount was not disclosed. This is low pay considering drive to Brillion. Work week is 5 days, so can't work 3 or 4 days more hours to save on gas money.

Be honest at job fair and list starting pay. Low pay results in turn over and people just taking jobs temp to get a better job.

Leadership seems to be in flux

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brillion, WI

I worked at Ariens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of great, caring people who work very hard to make the company successful. Hats off to the many manufacturing employees who do their tough job well. They keep the company moving forward. Interesting work at all levels. Good products you can be proud of. Although I don't know from my job specifically, seems like the business is growing due to some recent acquisitions.

Cons

Be prepared for a long work week. Newer HR exec not right for the company. Not very "genuine" and not the model of core values. Location creates a challenge in finding enough people. Quite a few manager level or higher left recently so it makes you wonder why.

Much hubris

I worked at Ariens full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits were fair

Cons

Smalltown, parochial, self-righteous,shortsighted mindset. President sends companywide emails asking/telling employees how they should vote. (Yes, I've saved copies.) You have to be willing to "drink the Koolaid". My direct supervisor was, and overloaded his subordinates in order to save the company two cents. He shakes he's so uptight. Many employees have never worked anywhere else and so are ignorant of other business practices. Still run a one hour lunch based on 50 year old practices when the majority of employees walked home for lunch, dumb.

Stop with the ultraconservative, self-righteous attitude.