Aritzia Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Brian Hill

Pros
  • Good music is playing while you work, which encourages a fast paced environment (in 9 reviews)

• Good music, great clothes, emphasis on customer service so it's more than just folding sweaters (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There's very poor work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• They will steal your sales and will even try to pin it as being your fault (in 9 reviews)

1. Good retail experience

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Aritzia part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, good discount, awesome clothes. The company is extremely organized and really well run, and that makes it a worthwhile experience if you want to learn to do retail right. There is a manual for everything, and every task is laid out step by step. The staff is on point and is really taught to service the customer. If you're looking for a retail experience that is super fun, noncompetitive and low-key, this probably isn't for you. But if you really want to learn to be a retail salesperson for pretty good pay and wear beautiful clothes, Aritzia is a nice place to work. It seems like people who have what it takes stay there for a while, and though the company does pressure the staff to meet goals, the managers at my location were really nice and understanding. The staff was also a really cool group of women.

Cons

If you're working at Aritzia you are really working hard, so don't expect to take it as a part time fun job. They will certainly ask you to work more hours than you bargained for, and you'll definitely start to feel like your job takes up more than just work time with meetings, covering shifts, completing online training, and so so many in person trainings. But that's because Aritzia really knows their stuff, and the company makes sure the staff knows their stuff as well. They are a top retailer for a reason, and that's because they know how to do what they do - sell clothes!

Advice to Management

Although I felt like Aritzia was a bit more than I could handle with my limited time, I really do think the company does a fantastic job. I see all of the reasons that the company demands so much from the employees, so my only advice is to keep up the good work!

2. Support Office

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Aritzia full-time

Pros

Clothing discount and a trendy atmosphere.

Cons

Holy turnover. Don't expect to work with the same people for very long. Bad sign. there is always a mixture of people in an office but somehow this one attracts and hires a larger portion of rude people. Also, regardless of how hard you work and how much extra you take on do not expect anyone to notice or appreciate it. Once you are gone the emails will flood in but until then don't hold your breath.

Advice to Management

Find some way, any way, to retain your staff. Maybe a little appreciation? That could also help with the rude people there. They are all probably about to quit and some kind words and acknowledgment could go a long way.

Management

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Aritzia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay for retail, awesome clothing discount, learn a lot and make new friends.

Cons

Aritzia is hard work. If you plan on staying, be prepared to constantly receive feedback. You have to have tough skin and be able to handle people telling you how to do things and how to do them differently than you think they should be done. It's hard to be your own person sometimes because you have to be and look "aritzia." If you fit the mold, however, you will be promoted quickly and be one of the few favorites. Hard work/life balance and very difficult to maintain any type of life outside of work due to receiving the schedule sometimes one day before the week starts (which I think is absolutely ridiculous and hopefully can be an opportunity for change.) Also, you need to have a brain for this job. It is not typical retail and requires a lot out of you physically and mentally. You have to think on your feet and constantly be moving with purpose. If not, be prepared to be pulled aside and told again how you're doing your job wrong. If you can handle criticism/feedback, go for it. The pay is better than most any other retail because if you work there and you're good, you deserve high pay. It's worth at least $15/hr so if they ask (and they will) what you want to make during your interview, ask for at least more than $15 an hour or you'll be sad you didn't. It may seem like a dream to work there at first but be prepared to be exhausted after your first week. They have a sink or swim mentality and its difficult if you don't catch on right away. They watch your every move and if you're not good enough they'll drop you as fast as they hired you on. It's really quite disappointing and cut throat but it's the way it goes I guess.

Advice to Management

online schedule, schedule more than a day in advance. Think about people's personal lives once in a while and realize we are humans and have other responsibilities outside of work. Doing so will allow your employees to appreciate the company more. Respect goes both ways. I don't mind hard work but I do mind when it intercedes with my personal life including things like medical appointments that sometimes require more than a few days in advance. My life is not just Aritzia so if you want to keep people that are making you successful, think about re-evaluating the schedule and when it is made. Also, please stop changing people's schedules last minute. That's just as rude if not more rude than giving it to them a day in advance.

5. high stress job with competetive co workers

I worked at Aritzia full-time

Pros

not much to look at as pros, possibly the pay is better at this retail store than most other stores.

Cons

competetive work environment, catty coworkers, expensive to keep up the "aritzia look", no work/life balance because work could overtake your life when it comes to closing and taking long shifts.

6. Floor Mgr

Former Employee - Floor Manager in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Floor Manager in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Aritzia (More than a year)

Pros

-discount and that's literally it because i have to make this 20 word m i n i m u m

Cons

Work here if you like a cult atmosphere of brain washed employees. Be prepared to work more than you tell them that you can, AND at more than one store than your home store. The upper management is useless and speaks to you in a condescending way as if you are incapable of understanding the english language. no growth or advancement opportunities basically, be prepared to be taken advantage of and make aritzia your life literally... you're left with NO work/life balance. you'll be called in to work on days off. managers were literally on call every single day whether it be with little calls or texts saying "OMG WE DID A 1K SALE" or "CAN YOU COME HELP ITS SO BUSY" oh and if you want to take of, they ask WHY as if you need to tell them your business. If I need off, then I need off- don't ask why and act like you decide whether it's a legitimate reason. floor sets also last "one to two hours" NOT .. they really last about 4-6. don't both working here its a horrible atmosphere with horrible management and a cult company that sucks you in and bathes you in their stupid core values. store manager will stalk your social media. computers, operations and processes are old school.. the registers are blue screens with white font for goodness sakes. if you plan to quit, they will bribe you with more pay but even that doesn't make people stay. VERY high turn over rate overall! no benefits or stock options b/c it's a canadian company.

Advice to Management

dont be so brainwashed. there are other ways to do things than whats specified in the handbook. and i have much more advice but they won't ever listen anyway.

Never Again

I worked at Aritzia

Pros

-great pay -learned to be competitive -great discount

Cons

-major favoritism -only cares about numbers (SPH mainly) -does not care about outside life such as school/only wants the employee's to focus on the store

Advice to Management

learn to actually care about your employees so you don't have such a high turnover rate

8. Sales

I have been working at Aritzia full-time

Pros

Discount - memory building

Cons

Ambiguos position title - sassy workers - very materialistic/immature staff - high school setting

Advice to Management

Changing micromanagement, being humble. Not ignoring employees

9. During holiday season, Aritzia is a zoo.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Aritzia part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good compensation for retail, some good managers-- my store managers were helpful and supportive, especially helping me move forward and learn more about the retail ops.

Cons

Hours are difficult during holiday because the store would open and close before and after every other store. It's demanding and you're expected to run around constantly. Breaks are short and some staffers are very serious and intense about the store.

Advice to Management

Favoritism is visible and there's pressure to buy a lot of merchandise. Poor work-life balance especially during holiday season.

10. Getting my feet wet in retail

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Aritzia

Pros

I throughly enjoy working for this company

Cons

Focused heavily on sales without giving employees equal opportunity for incentive

Advice to Management

I would suggest making sure veteran employees are not bullying new comers to great a more stable work life balance.

11. If you don't drink the juice then they give you the boot.

I have been working at Aritzia

Pros

The pay is decent and the store music is good.

Cons

It's a cult. Upper management is very passive aggressive.

Advice to Management

Humans not robots.

RSS Feed </> Embed