Aritzia

Updated January 25, 2015
Updated January 25, 2015
2.2

Brian Hill

Pros
  • Good music is playing while you work, which encourages a fast paced environment (in 9 reviews)

• Met some awesome friends, good discount, building relationships with customers, good sales experience (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor Work-life balance, administrative support is lacking, huge opportunity with recruiting (in 10 reviews)

• girls are immature, they would steal your sales (some of them are sneaky) (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great clothing, poor management

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Aritzia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good music, great clothes, emphasis on customer service so it's more than just folding sweaters. you have to really get to know the customers and the merchandise. Focus on clienteling. Learn great conversation skills

Cons

Ridiculous system of tracking sales--basically you work as if you're earning commission. company keeps track of sales per hour. but instead of earning commission for outstanding sales you basically earn more hours. you're working hard in order to get the opportunity to work more. great system from the company's POV but hard on the girls and leads to cattiness and unnecessary stress on days where traffic is just slow. company rhetoric is also intense. upper level management seems to be totally brainwashed when it comes to aritzia's "values". approach to most problems follows a textbook 12-step program provided by the company.

also shifting sales ranks means that the number of hours you may get per week changes. so there are no regular schedules. you get your schedule for the next week the saturday before the week starts. there is basically no way to make personal plans ahead of time for anything. and hours are not posted online, you have to call the store each week or check the schedule binder if you're working on saturday.

think more about the effort that the girls are putting in and the amount of traffic at the store over sales per hour.

take a step back and think about things from a non-aritzia, non-corporate persepective---RELAX!!!!

Waste of my time

Former Employee - Floor Manager
    Former Employee - Floor Manager

I worked at Aritzia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great discount, great clothing, pays well

Cons

cliques, gossip, petty management drama, hasty cut throat work environment. I started to feel like I was not able to be myself at work because I had to be "Aritzia". Had to rate sales associates style on a rate of 1-10 on a daily basis. Horrible work/life balance-wouldn't know schedule for the next week until saturday,could rarely request off.

I understand that you are just trying to run a multi-million dollar company-however, you must value your staff. Upper management likes to intimidate all staff/not get to know you and strictly look at stats and listen to the head store manager

Aritzia can be a cool place to work but it gets very overwhelming and stressful at times... and this IS NOT my life!!

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Aritzia part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay
    When they do give raises, its pretty damn good !!!!!
    Discount
    Meet very cool people

Cons

long hours
    means of evaluations
    micro-management at the highest level

Chill out!!!

Decent

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Aritzia part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good clothes, great music and really good pay in compared to other retail stores. 40% off clothes and a way to meet new people.

Cons

Terrible management, misleading information on qualifications, over promises and under deliveries. The management is VERY condescending

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Aritzia part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The interview process is easy, salary good

Cons

Started working for The company August 25, 2014. I was supposed to receive a series of 3 training sessions only received 1! My first impression was not a good one. Started on the sales floor and bam! My first experience of another sales associate stealing my sell and management allowing it to happen. I was sent home on 2 Occasions because it was "slow" . One day i came in and after 35 minutes management announces they were going to send some of the new hires home because it was slow. The next day i had a shift i received a call from a unrecognized cell number from a store manager advising me that i did not have to come in and that after reviewing the direction of the company they could not afford to keep me on the schedule full time. At that point i advised the manager i was not full time but part time. She still preceded to say they didnt want ti keep me on the schedule and not get the hours promised.

Stop promoting people to management based on how much they sell. Hire qualified managers that have a clue.

This company is a joke

I worked at Aritzia

Pros

Discount. Period.
    Salary would be listed as a pro, but once you've factored in poor leadership, caddy twenty- something's who can't see beyond their Isabel Marant shoes, and poor company culture, there really isn't any amount of money that compensates.

Cons

1. Poor Leadership- leaders in the company are promoted too quickly and lack the very basic leadership skills to manage effectively. Basic skills would include; open door policy, discretion in confidential matters, and relate-ability. Leadership is not assessed on overall accomplishments, but rather, reviewed and promoted based on immediate successes of small current time frames. Lots of over promising and under delivering.
    2. Labyrinth of Values- teams are rated on individual percentages which range from the physical person, to their actual job, to "how" their job is completed. Company over values format and is less concerned with content from an individual. Great talent within the company, but the culture breeds fear in communicating needs. There is an absolute importance for structure, but this company is rigid in it's thinking and will fire back when communication is not formatted correctly. Leadership is already weak in skill set and lacks ability to effectively teach people, but with the encyclopedia of competencies that are required, great teachers are necessary. Intimidation and arrogance is not the way to teach.
    3. Unrealistic work/life balance expectations- Holiday hours run extremely long, with each team member running 12 hour days. Employees expected to work 6-7 days a week winding down from the regular holiday period into Aritzia's next sale session with zero regard to family life. If you have a family or are an active member of your family, this should be something you consider closely. And if you're sick, forget about it. Plan to pump the cold and flu medicine and sack up, or get snubbed from management for lack of "commitment" or "discipline"... A few of the things that could be noted in evaluation.
    4. Unprofessionalism and lack of privacy- Upper management will request to friend you in social networks and then follow up with you on posts
    5. Poor benefits packages- worst health care offered, no 401k, vacation hours are average for full time employees across retail.

The list really could go on and on....

Step back and look at all of the people you've lost. You may consider them to not be of worth, but look at where your company is now. Your results reflect the culture that has been bred.

Great people to work with.

I worked at Aritzia

Pros

The team is amazing to work with.

Cons

If you close you might be there until 1 or 2 am

Ask for a high pay rate.. You're gonna need it.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Aritzia part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great staff to work with

Cons

The discount is NOT enough if you want to look "Aritzia" which is why you need to ask for a high pay rate. If you ask for $11, you WILL get get $11. If you ask for $16, they will give it to you. Especially if you've worked in retail for so long. I worked off of $11 & it was NOT worth it. The amount of stress you go through is not worth $11 an hour.
    You will get a high goal. It's easy to hit it if you spot the moms with bags in their hands that have designer names on them. My goals were sometimes $6,000-$7,000 which was ridiculous.
    They say it's easy to hit your goal if you give every girl an outfit which is pants/skirt, top, with layering pieces. But honestly, not everyone is like that. So GOOD LUCK.
    It takes FOREVER to close the store. Sizing, fingerspacing, edging.. You could be there more than 2 hours after you close.
    Girls can be really sharky, & WILL argue if you steal a customer from them without knowing or if they've worked with them in the past.
    The discount will not be enough to buy clothes with your paycheck, which is why I'm saying you need a higher pay rate. You cannot be working 25 hours a week with $11, then get a $430 paycheck (because taxes get taken out), then get asked to look "Aritzia". You'll look at the price tag & not want to spend $110 from your paycheck on a silk blouse.

If you stick there long enough, you're a good sales stylist, you can tell them you want to leave because you got a good offer somewhere else & they WILL match them, or at least give you a dollar more.
    I know one girl that kept on threatening them that she was going to quit because there were better opportunities. Up to now, she gets $25 an hour PLUS commission. She started off of $12.. That's ridiculous. Now she can support herself through graduate school. Good for her, but I don't know how she did it.
    I'd rather jump off a bridge honestly.

Be understanding. Know that having a ridiculous goal is not achievable unless you have loyal customers coming to you.
    Get a better discount. Or at least a clothing allowance.

Demanding retail chain

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Aritzia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good pay, love my coworkers. Development is handed out but it's yours for the taking if you are hungry and go above and beyond in your day to day duties.

Cons

Poor Work-life balance, administrative support is lacking, huge opportunity with recruiting. Management over promises during interviews and reviews and then under delivers in the end. There is a bit of favoritism.

People want to grow and develop with the company, give them the tools and training they need to do that, don't make them beg for it.

Expects The World From You

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Aritzia (less than a year)

Pros

You get to meet great people, and there are always great styles and the quality is great. Great learning experience for someone in school.

Cons

The team atmosphere can be very fun but also can feel fake, forced or robotic. Work you to the bone, most employees feel exhausted after their first week.

N/A