Arizona Department of Corrections

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paul Nicola

14 years of good benefits but less that great work environment.

COII (Current Employee) Safford, AZ

ProsGood medical benefits, paid annual and sick leave. Employee housing at some complexes (cost next to nothing). Pay great for job not requiring a lot of education There is often an opportunity for overtime.

ConsNo real value of employees, too easy to replace. Promoting to early so that senor staff are training their supervisors. Rotations of out lying complexes can causes hardships for families. No

Advice to Senior ManagementIf an idea is put into practice that doesn't work out as expected, drop it. Review some of the old ways of doing things that are no longer necessary or practical and revise. Don't expect one size to fit all.

ADC offers a steady job with regular hours.

Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) Safford, AZ

ProsADC Corrections Officers usually work 40-hours work per week, with occasional opportunities for overtime. The work culture supports a fair and consistent workplace, with systems in place to address problems in this area. Most prisons are relatively safe in which to work; however, the behavior of employees in their interactions with inmates can and does impact the safety factor. The training received at Corrections Officer Academy is sufficient for the work that is expected of entry-level employees.

ConsIt can be difficult to obtain assignment to one's desired shift and/or days off, as decisions on these matters are not necessarily strictly governed by policy. The job can be emotionally draining due the nature of dealing with individuals who are immersed in a culture that has no appreciation for confinement. Most duties are covered by corporate-level and local policies that have derived from litigation in one form or another, and most employees understand this This can result in "catch-22s" and inexplicable enforcement and non-enforcement of policy at different times; depending on prevailing management trends which are frequently based on abjectly anecdotal information.

Advice to Senior ManagementADC may benefit from management practices that employ some accepted method of process improvement, rather than the current behavior of testing new and often ill-conceived ideas on employees.

Lewis Complex

ProsExcellent benefits, room for advancement

ConsThey hire anyone with a pulse. It's extremely corrupt, it's a constant witch hunt, these administrators are some of the most unprofessional people I've worked for. I've yet to have a conversation with a DW that wasn't profane. The harassment is beyond belief, the hostility is at an extreme. There needs to be a management study conducted and rid the dept of these cancers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are the reason the dept is failing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Correctional Sergeant

Correctional Sergeant (Former Employee) Buckeye, AZ

Prosthe camaraderie and the experience

Conslack of supervision lack of support and lack of leadership

Advice to Senior Managementremember for some of you administrators you were once in our boots at one time!!!

Department of CORRUPTIONS

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits (but you can get those working at any AZ State agency). There were one or two diamonds in the rough, employees who genuinely care about doing the right thing.

ConsExtremely corrupt. You can be the best employee on earth but if you aren't liked, you WILL bullied, ostracized, and blocked from advancing. Wardens are treated like demi-gods and get away with all sorts of abuses of power. Incoming Corrections Officers are hazed and morale is the lowest I've seen in my working life. The department is loaded with hypocrites and mindless drones just counting the days until retirement. There are tons of cases of employees sleeping with each other breaking up and then sleeping with each other's exes. It's a very warped and twisted environment. Spare yourself the mental anguish and don't work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou talk the talk, how about walking the walk.

Not just a job but an adventure, Not.

Correctional Officer II (Current Employee)

ProsI have been working for the ADOC for 9 years, I have met and worked with a lot of good people. I have had a lot of good supervisors. good health benefits. They let go on paid military leave for 250 hours every 2 years.

ConsIf all you ever worked is fast food jobs the pay is good, If you have any common sense the pay is bad when you consider the potential danger you face everyday, Working with Inmates in a low staffing environment is dangerous.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a good wage to attract and keep quality staff. Stop trying to make prison such a comfortable place to live
    maybe then Inmates will stop coming back into the system. Back staff up when we write tickets. get rid of disciplinary sergeants who don't do their job..

Corrections Officer

ProsNot much to say about pros

ConsToo many convicts messing up the day

Advice to Senior ManagementLock yourselves up

Over 20 Years in the department

Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsGood benefits for Arizona. Retirement is funny they give you just enough retirement pay to purchase state insurance well almost enough.

ConsHave not received a pay raise in 9 years

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the witch hunts that run good employees away. Concentrate on those employees who need to be investigated, before you put an employee head in the guillotine make sure they are deserving of the punishment. Every Correctional Officer seems to know who is useless and who is not but administration keeps targeting the wrong employees for discipline. The stress is not dealing with the present but the anticipation of the potential.

"Lifers" don't give new hires at upper grade levels a chance.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- great benefits! - genuine care/concern for inmate safety/security.rehabiliation

Cons- unpleasant work environment - disinterested coworkers

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not let current employees band together to not assist a new employee when they need training. Especially when the band leader is a manager. Bad form.

Correctional Officer II

Correctional Officer II (Current Employee) Florence, AZ

ProsThe other officers I get to joke around with during shift.

ConsLow wages, terrible management, no room for growth, stuck working ridiculous hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe hire someone with SOME education level or previous skills of supervision and not anyone who applies for promotion.

Worked for Arizona Department of Corrections? Contribute to the Community!