Arizona Department of Corrections

Good experience

Former Employee - Correctional Officer II  in  Florence, AZ
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer II in Florence, AZ

I worked at Arizona Department of Corrections full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good insurance and retirement benifits

Cons

low pay dangerous environment at times (bio hazards, hepatitis, blood)

Could use better pay, I worked on the side to make up the difference, I was making more on the side.so I quit for that reason. Experience was great, tho seen as a negative; there is a lot that can be learned while working in this environment. Good opportunities for further training but not many opportunities for a good pay increase.

14 years of good benefits but less that great work environment.

Current Employee - COII  in  Safford, AZ
    Current Employee - COII in Safford, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Department of Corrections full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good medical benefits, paid annual and sick leave. Employee housing at some complexes (cost next to nothing). Pay great for job not requiring a lot of education There is often an opportunity for overtime.

Cons

No real value of employees, too easy to replace. Promoting to early so that senor staff are training their supervisors. Rotations of out lying complexes can causes hardships for families. No

If an idea is put into practice that doesn't work out as expected, drop it. Review some of the old ways of doing things that are no longer necessary or practical and revise. Don't expect one size to fit all.

ADC offers a steady job with regular hours.

Current Employee - Correctional Officer II  in  Safford, AZ
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer II in Safford, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Department of Corrections full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

ADC Corrections Officers usually work 40-hours work per week, with occasional opportunities for overtime. The work culture supports a fair and consistent workplace, with systems in place to address problems in this area. Most prisons are relatively safe in which to work; however, the behavior of employees in their interactions with inmates can and does impact the safety factor. The training received at Corrections Officer Academy is sufficient for the work that is expected of entry-level employees.

Cons

It can be difficult to obtain assignment to one's desired shift and/or days off, as decisions on these matters are not necessarily strictly governed by policy. The job can be emotionally draining due the nature of dealing with individuals who are immersed in a culture that has no appreciation for confinement. Most duties are covered by corporate-level and local policies that have derived from litigation in one form or another, and most employees understand this This can result in "catch-22s" and inexplicable enforcement and non-enforcement of policy at different times; depending on prevailing management trends which are frequently based on abjectly anecdotal information.

ADC may benefit from management practices that employ some accepted method of process improvement, rather than the current behavior of testing new and often ill-conceived ideas on employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Make sure this is the right job for you.

Current Employee - CO III  in  Florence, AZ
    Current Employee - CO III in Florence, AZ

Pros

For not requiring more than a high school diploma or GED, the pay is incredible. so are the benefits-according to health care professionals in the offices I have used, the best in the state. You get to meet & work with some amazing people, opportunities for interesting assignments are limitless, advancement is wide open, education is encouraged and paid for.

Cons

For the working conditions and hazards we face daily, the pay is below standard. some of the staff you work with are lazy, ignorant and sometimes dangerously complacent. You may wait a long, long time to get the schedule you prefer, but you sign on the line you are willing to do that when you start. And you may need to be willing to make some geographical moves to take advantage of the career and other opportunities available.

Change your management style from dictator to servant leader: do whatever it takes to let your people know that they matter to you and the Department, that without them, DOC could not function. You are responsible for staff morale, take it seriously and look into what you can do to transform your Department. It can be done in one generation, in one year, even, without being cost-prohibitive.

Lewis Complex

I have been working at Arizona Department of Corrections for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent benefits, room for advancement

Cons

They hire anyone with a pulse. It's extremely corrupt, it's a constant witch hunt, these administrators are some of the most unprofessional people I've worked for. I've yet to have a conversation with a DW that wasn't profane. The harassment is beyond belief, the hostility is at an extreme. There needs to be a management study conducted and rid the dept of these cancers.

You are the reason the dept is failing.

Correctional Sergeant

Former Employee - Correctional Sergeant  in  Buckeye, AZ
    Former Employee - Correctional Sergeant in Buckeye, AZ

I worked at Arizona Department of Corrections full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the camaraderie and the experience

Cons

lack of supervision lack of support and lack of leadership

remember for some of you administrators you were once in our boots at one time!!!

Department of CORRUPTIONS

I worked at Arizona Department of Corrections full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits (but you can get those working at any AZ State agency). There were one or two diamonds in the rough, employees who genuinely care about doing the right thing.

Cons

Extremely corrupt. You can be the best employee on earth but if you aren't liked, you WILL bullied, ostracized, and blocked from advancing. Wardens are treated like demi-gods and get away with all sorts of abuses of power. Incoming Corrections Officers are hazed and morale is the lowest I've seen in my working life. The department is loaded with hypocrites and mindless drones just counting the days until retirement. There are tons of cases of employees sleeping with each other breaking up and then sleeping with each other's exes. It's a very warped and twisted environment. Spare yourself the mental anguish and don't work there.

You talk the talk, how about walking the walk.

Not just a job but an adventure, Not.

Current Employee - Correctional Officer II
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer II

I have been working at Arizona Department of Corrections full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have been working for the ADOC for 9 years, I have met and worked with a lot of good people. I have had a lot of good supervisors. good health benefits. They let go on paid military leave for 250 hours every 2 years.

Cons

If all you ever worked is fast food jobs the pay is good, If you have any common sense the pay is bad when you consider the potential danger you face everyday, Working with Inmates in a low staffing environment is dangerous.

Pay a good wage to attract and keep quality staff. Stop trying to make prison such a comfortable place to live
    maybe then Inmates will stop coming back into the system. Back staff up when we write tickets. get rid of disciplinary sergeants who don't do their job..

Over 20 Years in the department

Current Employee - Correctional Officer II  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer II in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Good benefits for Arizona. Retirement is funny they give you just enough retirement pay to purchase state insurance well almost enough.

Cons

Have not received a pay raise in 9 years

Stop the witch hunts that run good employees away. Concentrate on those employees who need to be investigated, before you put an employee head in the guillotine make sure they are deserving of the punishment. Every Correctional Officer seems to know who is useless and who is not but administration keeps targeting the wrong employees for discipline. The stress is not dealing with the present but the anticipation of the potential.

Corrections Officer

I have been working at Arizona Department of Corrections for more than a year

Pros

Not much to say about pros

Cons

Too many convicts messing up the day

Lock yourselves up

Worked for Arizona Department of Corrections? Contribute to the Community!