Arizona Department of Economic Security

Be The First To
Add Photos

Training is key.

Rehabilitation Services Specialist III (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI currently work in vocational rehabilitation. My fellow employees are very helpful and concentrate on assisting the client in the best way possible.

ConsThe training is an absolute joke. The structure is absent and the trainers don't seem properly prepared to train, if and when someone leaves. Employees are not being given the skills needed to work effectively with client's.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to truly evaluate the training structure and how employees are being trained for their position.

Great people to work with, great supervisor, no raises, no money in budget for training.

Software Developer (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI enjoy the work and interaction with my co-workers. It's a laid-back, friendly atmosphere. Telecommuting is allowed, as well as flex time. Benefits are very good, retirement plan is great.

ConsMajor discrepancies in wages among same level employees. No compensation for years. High level of employee turnover due to lack of compensation. Wage level far below federal average. Increases in mandatory retirement and benefits contributions, but no cost of living increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementConnect with the people in the trenches. Allow for advancement opportunities. Provide more technical training opportunities. Lobby legislature to provide allowance for increasing state employee pay.

Political

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsEasy work, most people are easy to get along with.

ConsHow much ass can you kiss

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the least efficient and the laziest employees, more work can be done without them slowing everyone down.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's not who you know, it's.....

Case Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsPension, paid holidays, vacation days and sick days.

ConsThis might be the most dysfunctional, micro managed place I've ever worked for.

Excellent Career with great exposure to State and Federal Government regulations.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat opportunity to experence State Government from the inside.

ConsMobility is somewhat limited and development is controlled

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the potential in staff and develop and challenge those individuals to reach their potential

Lots of unemployed, lots of work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsEnjoy helping people be successful

Conslot's of turn over, long hours, little (low) compensation

Underpaid for the amount of work required

ProsSteady work, excellent health coverage and retirement. Room for growth, the state promotes from within which is always good and they will train you for any position.

ConsPersonnel Reform! Supervisors nor Management are compensated for the work they do. You are paid an hourly wage, which is low to begin with yet can work an average of 100 hours Bi-weekly yet you are only compensated for 80 hours, while employees who are not in a supervisory position are being paid at time and a half, which according to what I have seen, they bring home more money than their own Supervisor, it is very discouraging!

Advice to Senior ManagementI am in upper Management and we are working with the tools given to us, which is not much. Things must change at a higher level, maybe the Govenor's Office?

unrealistic expectations, lack of mobility

Disability Examiner III (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

Prosflexible schedule (can come in anywhere between 6 am to 9 am - can work 4 10-hr days if approved; relative independence; ability to build expertise; lax dress code; very low face-to-face public contact; nice agency atmosphere with good quality employees; fairly good community atmosphere; good job for someone who is analytical and smart

Consinflexible management structure, few rewards for expertise, few opportunities for advancement (made worse by both state and federal hiring freezes and poor economy), complicated job that requires experience, judgment and expertise but is often treated as if it is a clerical position; lots of vacation time but it's hard to use more than 5 days at a time because you are expected to produce while you are on vacation

Advice to Senior ManagementReward people who do good work with non-pay perks like less supervision, less QA review, opportunities to lead/grow; devise a structure to get feedback from the workers (disability examiners) and take suggestions seriously; provide training for managers & supervisors in how to manage and supervie

A lot of responsibilities for very little pay, no wage increases and high case load.

Support Coordinator (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsHelp people in need, flexible schedule, telecommute opportunities.

ConsUnderpaid, high case load, no stipend for bilingual case workers and little to no opportunity for wage increase.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease pay

Interview

ProsThe interview process was well organized and took about an hour. My panel interview as about as good as you can expect, not too serious or overbearing. Made me feel comfortable

ConsTheir was quite a bit of paperwork to fill out to even apply for the job and they wanted your actual signature on the documents so if you dont have a fax machine, it can be a tedious labor. The interview started after handing over all the documents they requested by writing a couple paragraphs about a job specific question. Other companies do this as well which is strange since you dont work for the comapny yet but they want you to write about a job specific event.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate 1/2 the unnecessary paperwork and especially having applicants actually have to sign the forms. Most companies just have you type your signature and it's accepted as your signature.

Worked for Arizona Department of Economic Security? Contribute to the Community!