www.azed.gov

1.9

John Huppenthal

Good Place to Learn

I have been working at Arizona Department of Education

Pros

Very supportive administration where my ideas are valued.

Cons

Very little room for growth- either financially or in promotions.

Get Rid of Learning Mate

I have been working at Arizona Department of Education

Pros

Might be able to help kids

Cons

Unless you're with learning mate you have no chance of fair pay or moving up

get rid of learning mate

Awful software development environment, make this your only, short-term solution

I have been working at Arizona Department of Education as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Contract pay is high; Good work-life balance

Cons

Management is awful. Project managers have no power. LearningMate bullies other contractors and ADE employees, yet their employees knows nothing about software development. Every project is siloed, so one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. There were several instances of duplicate work because of this.Too much politics - schools or districts with political clout will get more attention than other schools or products as a whole. There is no work culture whatsoever. Most contractors don't really care about their job, they're just looking to get out as quickly as possible.

Get rid of the CIO and and his former work buddies at LearningMate! They are wasting taxpaying dollars on dog and pony shows to try and get more money but not delivering what really counts - to the state!

Pay stay same from start of job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Department of Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are good to work with

Cons

No job advancement or pay raises.

Don't work for the department of education!!!

I worked at Arizona Department of Education

Pros

There are none! The place is going downhill!! Horrible leadership and a useless HR!!

Cons

Don't work at ADE! This place cares nothing for its people and spends millions on contractors that produce nothing! The HR knows nothing on what is going on including all the illegal activities! A CIO that uses profanity in front of everyone, bullies and intimidates, fires good people to hire in their buddies, constant ADOA policy violations and lies!!

You should all be fired!!!!!

Motivation Buzz Killer....

I worked at Arizona Department of Education

Pros

Covered Parking, BBQ Food Truck on Thursdays

Cons

Upper and mid level management is utterly inept. Decision making is bad, bordering on senseless. The culture is exclusionary with only a chosen few that even have voices as such. Constant revolving door, no compassion or respect for highly skilled technologist. Constant change in direction and no pulse on financial responsibility. I would highly recommend to anyone that takes pride in what they do to keep looking. This isn't the company for you.

Motivate your employees, create a positive and encouraging environment and watch good things come to life!

Project Specialist

Former Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Department of Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very laid back expectations for attendance and office hours in general. (If that is something that appeals to you).

Cons

No structure, redundancy is rampant, antiquated thinking and an environment that seems to proactively dissuade efficacy.

All of the time, which is most of the time, spent in meetings about meetings only contributes to the problems and skilled people who actually want to improve methodologies while considering cost-effectiveness will quickly realize this is the wrong place to work for that. (And for the record, I resigned, so this is not a diatribe from an embittered fired former State worker).

Do not accept a position with ADE IT especially through Learning Mate

I worked at Arizona Department of Education as a contractor

Pros

Helping children of the state. Learning some "new to me" technology even though it was implemented in a very poor way. People who care about education and innovation. Some nice and smart coworkers who were supportive.

Cons

Lots of politics. Bullying. Actually seeing people yelling at other people and CIO yelling at people and calling them names. Random firings. Lots of turnover. Poor working conditions in terms of cubicles. Lots of control issues and power plays. Lack of computer support -- to get things fixed you had to open and ticket AND know someone, and sometimes even if they fixed it, they wouldn't tell you.

Getting your hands tied by so much red tape it's impossible to do your job. Being told you cannot ask management questions in front of the other staff. Disagreeing with management is forbidden and asking questions so you can figure out what to do is the same as disagreeing.

Watching many talented and intelligent and honorable people getting fired and then becoming one of them. Would definitely not recommend any person to take a position there, especially for the contracting firm Learning Mate.

Stop the bullying. If you don't believe the relationship is working out, at least give notice and allow for knowledge transfer to the next person to take on the position.

Learn to listen to the people who work there who care about their work. You might actually be able to solve the problems and improve the chaos. It will take a long time for you to live down your bad reputation within Arizona. But if you start today, you might change the world.

You have to look at the elephant in the room --- the bullying and control issues -- in order to start changing it. Until you admit that it is not working for you, you will continue to create more chaos until the entire upper management is fired. I hope the good smart folks I know there who are working hard are recognized and survive the next purge and I hope that for the sake of our state, that there is a purge or at least acknowledgment of the problem and willingness to work on it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Department of Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You learn something new every day.

Cons

It's way too political. Decisions are often made for political reason instead of what is best for the education of the children of Arizona.

Make education important, not politics.

I'd rate negative if I could

Current Employee - IT-minion in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - IT-minion in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Department of Education as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

A small handful of great employees who've been there over time, people who want to make improvements and help a broken system.

The only way I'd every recommend or consider working at ADE is if it were 100% off-site.

Cons

CIO that is two-faced and unprofessional (imagine cheesy used-car salesman who sells broken down 'lemons' intentionally), his executive staff follows suit. Lack of integrity and leadership. Agency should be audited and policed because of their spending. Building is filthy and old. Some offices have "hazard" warnings because of lead paint or other biohazards that were never cleaned up. Too much time spent in staff meetings and "Rah-rah" sessions.

I was a contractor, considered going permanent but left. Most people with any sense leave. Over the past year I've gotten calls about State positions and a few calls for ADE positions…it's the one thing I'm adamant about -- no more jobs at ADE. I really liked my direct supervisor and my immediate co-workers (all were contractors except for our boss). Unfortunately there was no insulation from the drama, games, negativeness and petty b.s. that were on the daily agenda for the CIO and his senior staff.

Replace CIO and his management team. Audit funding and appropriation. Decide on a future path. Get rid of 'dead weight.' Establish best practice. Did I mention to replace the CIO who uses his position to bring in personal friends for their financial gain? Invest in technology and a tool to help measure: SAP, Microstrategy, Business Objects…. Clean up the database--like someone else mentioned, it's a mess! it's a hoarders nightmare and since no one stays, there's never anyone to know what's validated. Find ONE clean source. Incentivize those with knowledge to stay. Many of the IT staff are there only to get work permits and move on to much better and lucrative positions. Find a standard, stick to it. Hold schools accountable for the data they submit (garbage in/garbage out concept). Official numbers mean nothing when they are based on garbage.. Less focus on politics.

I don't know how much of this is through the CIO/Executive Staff or if the incompetence starts at John Huppenthal, since he brought on the CIO when he was elected. When I started in 3011, shortly after the CIO started, everything was blamed on Tom Horne. It's now 2013 and still a huge mess.