Arizona Public Service Company

Arizona Public Service Company Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Arizona Public Service Company President and CEO; President and COO, Pinnacle West Don Brandt

Don Brandt

Communication Intern

ProsDiverse learning experience
    Nice People
    Strong company culture of helping and team building

ConsThings vary by department and management.

Stress due to incompetence

Phoenix, AZ

ProsBenefits, pay is decent. If you work downtown or Palo Verde, the cafeteria is good. Very strong presence in the community. Friendly and professional (dependent on level and department)

ConsIncreased stress of working on projects with people from management down that do not know what they are doing. Too much workplace culture issues. Disheartening to know that no matter what you do, you will never get higher. Too much office politics and "good 'ole boys" network. Severe lack of growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on making the environment less stressful. Stop treating your IT people as a liability instead of an asset. Fix your project management because some of them don't know what they are doing.

Better than many other places to work

Technician (Current Employee)
    Tonopah, AZ

ProsGood benefits and most leaders are understand of life outside of work. The average work week is 4-10's. They have a strong focus on training for their employees.

ConsThere is mandatory overtime required while there is an outage at the power plant (as expected). The job is not that difficult, but it can be stressful.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Abysmal Management. Again.

Anonymous (Current Employee)
    Wintersburg, AZ

ProsLove my actual job duties. The variety is simply amazing. Work on hundreds of different pieces of equipment. Almost never boring, always challenging. We do have a few islands of impressive competence in
    the sea of mediocrity that is APS, our amazing Linemen and the Nuclear Fuels group at Palo Verde come to
    mind. The Electricians at Palo Verde are another outstanding group of frontline workers, just amazing to
    work with them. Another big "Pro" for PVNGS is the new people coming in, great attitudes and a real
    willingness to learn. Losing a lot of the old guard is both good (many of them were career slackers in the
    first place) and bad (not all were slackers. Some were damned good at what they did, and they are sorely
    missed).

ConsWorst management I have ever seen. No understanding of human behavior, such as ethics, honesty, motiva-
    tion, competence. "Positive Social Engineering" is one of their latest brainstorms. "Knowledge Transfer"
    from old to new workers is non-existant. The equipment we use went obsolete decades ago, it is
    not addressed in college/university anymore. On the other hand, we are right on top of the latest touchy-
    feely programs that serve no other purpose than to waste time and money. Way too much estrogen in the
    workplace. This is not a social club, we are here to maintain complex, critical machines. Hurt feelings?
    Get over it. Lastly --- why would I take instruction from people that can't even lay out a parking lot?

Advice to Senior ManagementI exist to care for the machines. I know exactly what I am doing. I have had a direct hand in preventing the
    NRC from finding fault with our technical understanding/repair of a number of different pieces of critical
    equipment. I do this while ignoring the ceaseless professional insulting you do of me and others in similar
    positions. KNOW THIS --- I answer to Ops, the NRC and our customers. NOT YOU. Rest assured that for
    the most part you are ignored and despised. If you were to vacate the premises for 6 months, frontline can
    and will keep the place running. Frontline disappears for a week, you close the doors on all 3 units. Fact.
    Would I recommend this job to a friend? I wouldn't recommend it to an ex-wife after a child custody battle.
    Regarding "Management Expectations" . . . what about "Employee Expectations"? Besides, everybody knows that expectations are merely resentments under construction. PVNGS has certifiably toxic management, which is reflected in their embarrassment of an HR department.

Contractors beware!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInteresting work in an industry that is so important.

ConsThe entitlement attitude of the employees. It's an us and them mentality. Contractors are second class citizens.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to utilize contractors to fill the gaps in talent within your company, treat those contractors with respect. There are so many opportunities for contractors that if the attitude does not changed at APS, you'll experience a brain drain and any top-notch contractors will select other projects.

Good old boy network

Compliance Analyst (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsPTO,medical, vision, dental, some departments offer flexible schedules, employee network groups, if you are good at your job you get pigeonholed and are not offered other opportunities.

Consno training, growth opportunities only offered to the good old boy network, HR is a joke-with constant turnover and no independence, they do what top management says. Management and leaders are not trained. No feedback given.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the knowledge that your employees have. Don't think that everything can be put in procedures. Some things only come with time and experience.

Big company acting like a small company that wants to be a big company.

Leader, Creative Services (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsStable utility with no competition in the market. Pay is supposedly better than most companies in Phoenix.

ConsLittle advancement opportunities in marketing or communications.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is different from management, provide training related to both for leaders at all levels. And remember, the best player on the team may not have what it takes to be a good coach.

Decent place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA decent place to work. The company provides good benefits to its employees. Most people are great to work with. They offer flexible work schedules, depending on your role and leaders approval.

ConsI found it hard to move around within the company. The company is cutting back on budgets and does not want to replace positions when employees leave. The company is doing more with less.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more appreciation to employees, especially since most employees are going above and beyond their job title and role.

Years ago I was extremely satisfied, but they have rapidly declined

IT Systems Analyst Senior (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe pay and benefits are great.

ConsNegative reinforcement practices and culture change to hire the cheapest and people who won't challenge management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on letting lower and middle managers be good managers, and senior managers should be strategic and stop trying to change everything every couple of years.

Good benefits, stable job, uninteresting work, antiquated work force, not for young engineers

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    Tonopah, AZ

ProsGood benefits/pay
    Highly technical plant - a lot of interesting engineering
    Some young engineering talent
    I found great mentors and friends I still talk to
    High focus on safety
    Sounds cool - "I worked at nuclear power plant"
    If you seek out work and mentors, your work will be more interesting
    Intern program was well organized and well funded - many interns enjoyed their internships

ConsStagnant workplace - average age is very high, people waiting to retire
    No excitement, not a dynamic setting
    Most of the workforce works 4 10-hour days + 1 hr minimum commute = 12 hr days
    The plant was built in the 70s and will not majorly change until it is decommissioned - no cutting edge work
    Well-known saying: "A boring day is a good day." (nothing broke)

Overall, different engineers will want different things. My cons could be someone else's pros and vice versa. Some people like a quiet workplace, 3 day weekends, doing the same work day in and day out and retiring in place. Most of the older people I talked to are happy there. As a disclaimer, the nature of my work had a lot to do with the group in which I was placed. There are groups with more interesting work.

Worked for Arizona Public Service Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Arizona Public Service Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Arizona Public Service Company CEO Don Brandt. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by Arizona Public Service Company employees.