Arizona Republic Reviews

1. Corporate Work

Former Employee - Retail in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Retail in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Republic

Pros

Pride in working for such a prestigious publication.

Cons

Very Corporate. Lost the family-owned sanctity.

Advice to Management

Eliminate fear of pending layoffs.

2. Malaise and ennui

I have been working at Arizona Republic full-time

Pros

Despite the self-inflicted declines in readership, the paper and website are still vitally important to the people of Arizona. Getting the people to embrace that is the challenge. There are incredible journalists there, not all of them old-timers. If you have talent, this still is a pretty good place to start, but don't expect much help along the way.

Cons

Management is totally out of touch. Not once since the reorganization in October has there been serious reflection on the what went wrong, what went right and how can we get better. The people calling the shots have no idea how the place works, particularly in digital. We'd rather write long, mostly boring stories designed to win awards. There was much talk of eliminated the "mediocre middle," but that middle was never identified and more duties were piled on top of old duties, with fewer people to get the job done.
    Now that Gannet is spinning off from Tegna, instead of concentrating on preserving and building on what we have, Gannet intends to buy more newspapers, mostly in small markets. Those turnips will be squeezed for blood like every other property.
    Print is the redhaired stepchild of the company, even though it still pays most of the bills. We're turning our backs on people who actually want what we produce in hopes of attracting a few who probably will never want what we offer. How is that a successful business model?

Advice to Management

Stop trying to win journalism awards and start doing real journalism. Watchdog and storytelling are important, but those are not the only reasons readers come to us. Emerge from the glass boxes and talk to people without retribution. You asked for "passionate journalists" -- you have some, stop defecating on them.

3. Reporter

I worked at Arizona Republic full-time

Pros

Opportunity to participate in challenging and diverse projects.

Cons

Not stable, the industry is in a state of flux.

Advice to Management

Don't layoff people at the first opportunity.

5. CSC

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Arizona Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interview was easy, anyone could get hired, paid training, your own desk, base + commission if you make your goals

Cons

Talking on the phone from start to end of shift, Not being able to leave your desk for more then 5 minutes at a time, not having a say, not moving up fast enough, they try to cheat you out of your Commission

Advice to Management

Care about your employees more.. Dont say one thing then talk about that person in a room where floor coaches are who will tell..

It was good for awhile but there is no clear direction for the future.

I worked at Arizona Republic (More than 5 years)

Pros

You used to be able to make a lot of money but now things are capped. Worked with some great people.

Cons

Management is out of touch with goals. With the shift to digital sales you can't make sales goals. They are letting the print products suffer and G/O still can't get the digital side to work correctly. Little to no training for new sales hires. They keep bad managers and bad hires way too long and put a lot of stress on the support staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the street. Get rid of the bad managers and hire better. This is a big organization and your health benefits and cost to employees is horrible.

Newspaper journalism is an exciting entrance to real-world experiences, but is a dying profession

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Republic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great behind-the-curtain investigations
    Access to first draft of local history
    Professional editors and colleagues
    Status of working for the nation's 13th largest newspaper with more than 500,000 Sunday subscribers
    Open-door welcoming to politics, sports, businesses, schools
    Ability to be published in other Gannett publications such as USA Today
    Outside of the office, a fun way to spend the first several years out of college
    A place where extra effort and achievement is recognized

Cons

Frequent reorganizations
    Very low morale
    Top management interested in award winners, everyone else is a bloated salary
    Managers are more interested in saving their own skin than going out on a limb to support employees
    Top management is dependent upon reporters and photographers to sell the Republic "Brand" through social media in an effort to save the paper and increase revenue.

Advice to Management

The company would be wise to view its employees as its greatest asset and not its greatest expense. It should embrace the journalism excellence that made it a very good paper, and work to improve the quality. It should look at improving the online experience (azcental.com) and developing new media to expand its brand.

8. A building full of people constantly under the threat of layoffs

I have been working at Arizona Republic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Can't really come up with one less the paycheck

Cons

See title above as it is self explanatory

Advice to Management

Stop with the constant threats and back stabbing-you are so worried about maintaining the status quo to get your bonuses-earned from the toil and sweat of your employees

9. The Arizona Republic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Republic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The employees are hard working and dedicated to long careers with the company. Great work environment with lots of cooperation between different areas.

Cons

Layoffs and reorganization is a normal occurrence due to decline in the print business.

10. The Arizona Republic

Current Employee - Online Producer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Online Producer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Republic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Arizona Republic is a wonderful company that many people will begin and end time-spanning careers in. There are many departments, so if you get bored in one department, another department is usually hiring. Give it a year, and you could be doing something completely different!

Cons

The only downsides are: Layoffs happen every couple of years; Print-based business, so potential for it to close; They hire new graduates for cheap, and keeps them underpaid.

Advice to Management

I would consider scrapping the current content management system. Most employees hate it, and it has decreased the overall productivity. It looks nice, though.

11. Great trade that slowly went down hill.

I worked at Arizona Republic

Pros

Printing experience is good, although you are constantly pushed and rushed by office personnel. The press room was union when I left which meant time off and wages were well above average.

Cons

Time off and pay has been cut. Company did not work fairly with the union during my last few years of employment.

Advice to Management

Management office had a revolving door at the time I left. Some managers did not work on a Printing press at all in their career which made some of their judgement calls seem a bit off.

RSS Feed </> Embed