Arizona Republic

Updated May 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John M. Zidich

Great trade that slowly went down hill.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPrinting experience is good, although you are constantly pushed and rushed by office personnel. The press room was union when I left which meant time off and wages were well above average.

ConsTime off and pay has been cut. Company did not work fairly with the union during my last few years of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement office had a revolving door at the time I left. Some managers did not work on a Printing press at all in their career which made some of their judgement calls seem a bit off.

Account Executive

Phoenix, AZ

Pros- Good team
    - Good benefits
    - Good facility/location

ConsIt depends on your manager - there were politics to deal with and some poor managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people - HR and Management are not always right.

Great work environment

ProsPeople really support you and listen to you.
    They will give you the resources you need eventually - but it might take a while.

ConsSlow processes. Corporate mentality. Not self-critical. Bad at public accountability within newsroom.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great job starting out in the media industry

Online Producer (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsWorking at the largest media organization in Arizona comes with prestige and great benefits. You are working under very knowledgeable professionals that have been in the journalism business for decades. You will learn the ins and outs of a large corporation as well as have a hand in media that is distributed to thousands of readers every day.

ConsIt's difficult to move up a pay grade. Working hard will get you more opportunities within the company, but because of layoffs and lower readership, The Republic has not been giving raises to lower-level employees for several years. If you are starting out your career, keep in mind that because of bureaucracy it may take much longer to be promoted than it would at a smaller company. If you are younger and starting out your career, you might consider that newspapers are not doing well. But if you are in the online side (like I was) there are more opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture in the newsroom is OK, but because of stresses on the staff thanks to the layoff of dozens of high-level employees, editorial is overworked (and underpaid).

Layoff was a gift

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyed what I did at the time, until the economy tanked.
    Learning the ins/outs of a soon to be relic of an industry

ConsToo may promises of commission payouts, changing rules in middle of game
    Incompetent leadership
    Constant threat of job loss
    Sweeping lack of confidence in their own product
    Trying to be ALL THINGS media to customers, with no internal support of staff, programs or products.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat, too many 'chiefs' not enough 'indians' - everyone CANT be a manager??
    Look at the top and streamline
    Gone are the days that Executive management actually 'managed' and not just 'cut thru the dept on the way to another black tie event'

It was a good environment. Plenty of room for growth.

Outside Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    Goodyear, AZ

ProsFun group of people. Lots of offices, so you can be promoted fairly easily.

ConsThe corporate structure there makes for a lot of bosses. I would typically answer the same questions, to at least 3 different bosses, sometimes more.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate growth plans for successful reps immediately. Do not wait for them to ask you about their future.

Overworked, underpaid

Reporter (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsIt's the biggest newspaper in the Phoenix metro area and Arizona, and one of the largest in the country. They seem to be doing a good enough job keeping up with - and sometimes even staying ahead of - the shift from print to digital media. The newsroom attire is mostly casual, and the hours are fairly flexible and accommodating. Paid time off is generous, especially the longer you stay with Gannett, the parent company.

ConsIt is owned by Gannett and the corporate influence is palpable. I often get the sense that the bosses (at Gannett, not the newspaper, though the newspaper bosses answer to those at Gannett) are far more concerned about making money and pleasing the shareholders than providing good, solid journalism and serving the public.

The entire time I've been there full time, they've continually done cuts, layoffs, buyouts and consolidated beats. At the same time, as the industry changes, they frequently ask us to do more - take photos, shoot videos, use social media, blog, etc. The result has been piling more and more work on us while reducing the amount of workers to do it. We constantly have to meet story and multimedia quotas, so we have very little time to do any in-depth stories that have real impact, while at the same time editors demand more impactful stories (though they also have a hard time explaining exactly what it is they want). On top of that, they haven't given any raises to anybody (except for management's favorites, according to newsroom rumblings). So everyone who is still there is greatly overworked and very underpaid.

The company doesn't seem to have any set pay scale based on experience and time with the paper. I'm still making the same amount I was when I was hired, while younger reporters with less experience were hired at higher pay and reporters with the same time and experience have gotten raises. My salary is not enough to live on, even with my minimalistic lifestyle.

Positive feedback or constructive criticism is scarce, even in our annual reviews. Because of all the cutbacks and trying to keep up with the changing industry, the organizational structure is changing constantly, so there's no consistency with reporters and editors. They move reporters around every 9-12 months, and they change editors just as frequently, leaving little time for us to get any type of solid footing with our beats or our editors. Because of all this, a lot of the young, talented reporters who are hired by the paper end up leaving within a couple years.

I've been unhappy at work for the last few years, with spurts here and there while out in my beat or working on some stories that remind me why I got into journalism in the first place. I feel like this place is killing my love for journalism and it has made me re-think my career choice.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to work with reporters to help them develop into better journalists. Stop cutting positions while forcing more work on those that are left. Give reporters time to find and develop more meaningful, in-depth stories. Give positive feedback and constructive criticism on a more regular basis so reporters know how they're doing, where they stand and how they can improve. And for goodness sake, give everybody raises! And not just miniscule raises that get gobbled up by increases in healthcare costs, but raises that actually will impact our paychecks. Also, set fair pay scales based on experience and time with the company. We work really, really hard for you guys and we deserve to be compensated fairly.

Very tough to consistently make goals.

Advertising Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment, and management lets you do your job.

ConsGoals are constantly moving, and very tough to make goal.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh turnover. Make goals more attainable on a consistent basis.

Great opportunity.

Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat opportunity. Open to new ideas and they give you autonomy. Many of the other employees are great people to learn from and are willing to help each other grow.

ConsA few employees were not friendly. Sometimes it was not about getting a good product, but more about hurrying up with any product. The internship was not a learning experience, it was more like hiring me for cheap labor because I was out on my own doing all the work a full-time employee would.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on all issues in Phoenix and diversify what you cover. Sometimes it was all about the wealthy neighborhoods such as Scottsdale, but real issues went uncovered. Create more of a learning program and mentorship for all interns.

Being a reporter at the Republic was an ideal job out of college but would never work long-term.

Reporter (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsMet very interesting people and was sent on great assignments. My work was published online, in the paper and on the local news channel so the exposure was great.

ConsAs we all know, the future of newspapers is very grim. Salary was insanely low, there were little to no raises and due to downsizing, everyone has to do the workload of at least 3 people.

Worked for Arizona Republic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Arizona Republic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Arizona Republic CEO John M. Zidich . All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Arizona Republic employees.