Arizona State University

Arizona State University Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Arizona State University President Michael M. Crow

Michael M. Crow

Pros
  • great benefits package with medical insurance and retirement plan(in 17 reviews)

• The work environment is very encouraging and the co-workers are very helpful(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No performance based or cost of living raises(in 6 reviews)

• Not a lot of room for advancement(in 6 reviews)

It was good experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsOffice culture is good in ASU.

ConsTime-off is little little difficult, but can be depending on the situation.

American English and Culture Program ( AECP ) Review

AECP Associate Instructor (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsASU provides good family benefits for AECP teachers that work more than 2 sessions with the program. Teachers, staff, and lower management (director and assistant directors) at AECP have created a very friendly and supporting community. In my opinion, this is the main reason teachers stay loyal to the program.

ConsAlthough AECP prides itself as one of the top IEPs in the U.S., it pays its teachers less than the average ESL instructor, while also expecting teachers to work 18 student-teacher contact hours a week + meetings + office hours + other mandatory activities. Do not expect to have time for a lunch break. This program can be highly stressful. Teachers do not choose their teaching schedule, and they receive their schedule 1-2 days before class begins. Also, parking is not included. Parking close to campus is about $720 a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementAECP could be a great program. Many teachers don't want to leave the program, but are forced to because of the low pay. It's sad that such a successful program that is becoming recognized internationally and is expanding at such a high rate, does not reward their teachers for their flexibility and the added responsibilities they are willing to take on for the good of the program.

Working as a graduate student does not pay well unless you are in STEM majors.

Graduate Teaching Associate (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsPretty good emphasis on academic freedom in my department, strong professors, some good students

ConsLarge, corporatized university environment makes you feel anonymous. Cancellation of important liberal arts programs like Philosophy PhD are concerning to the future of academia at this institution.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat students like customers, because the customer is always right, but students should be paying to learn valuable lessons. When we treat students as customers, grades and learning becomes transactional and education is devalued.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cutting edge research and good weather

Graduate Research Associate (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsOffice culture is really good, people behave elegantly and are very helpful. You have to go through the rigorous training for being a good TA or be a good RA.

ConsWorse part is the weather in summer for at least three months. You are literally stuck in your office or in your house.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more solar panels in the open area or choose green revolution by planting trees on both side of the side walk.

Fair for me personally but not to friends

Tutor (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWork around your schedule very much if you're a student. My supervisor personally was understanding if you needed to call out because exams, or if you were late a few times. I've worked several positions at ASU--- talking about another also (this one being a temp job; the other being part time), this one had a lot of opportunities to "advancement," like to keep working with them, but with a different title and taking on even more jobs, though the pay was the same and the supervisors at this one were terrible and with unrealistic expectations and lots of boring meetings

ConsFor the part time one, there were few cons: when people you served gave even moderate reviews like not the absolute highest rating you were reprimanded, the other being my supervisors' supervisors had unrealistic expectations and were pretty harsh. For my temp job there were all kinds of cons-- lots of boring meetings, micromanagement, getting talked down to, claimed they wanted things to be a certain way but once they got that way they'd complain, etc. I also have friends who were told to work overtime and were never paid for it

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of you are good, some bad. You bad ones, treat your employees with respect because I know you lost a lot of good employees by being bad to them

I loved working for my boss and learned a lot, however not all managers are the same.

Specialist (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsTuition waiver for employee and dependents. Opportunity to go to school at a fraction of the cost.

ConsThe people that get promoted are not always the most qualified. To many managers move up because of politics vs. knowledge and those managers are very good at delegating - aka having others do the work for them, but are unable to train their employees or do the job themselves. However those same managers will quickly terminate an employee for failing to do the job. Managers abuse the exempt status, but expect their exempt employees to document every minute of their work schedule - many double standards. Managers constantly get raises, yet the employees don't due to budget cuts. I saw one manager get competitive salary raises 3x in 1.5 years yet the employees under her did not get a dime. Another manager went from $36,000 a year to earning over $67,000 a year in the course of 6 years. Managers are very good a promoting themselves or finding money in the budget to give themselves raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers do you job - if you are getting paid to work 40 hours a week don't abuse the exempt status, by only working 30 hours, yet forcing your exempt employees to document every hour they are out. They too have the same exempt status and if you have flexible schedules then allow it for your employees - and learn your job so that you can train your employees

Graduate Assistant at ASU

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsThe campus is beautiful, the cost of living is low, and there are many activities to do outdoors. ASU has very good information and support for employees.

ConsThe problem is that ASU is VERY big university, so it really matters where, with what department and with whom you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo care less about the image of ASU.

Student, working through undergraduate study

Memorial Union-Building Manager (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsIncredibly helpful and friendly staff and management
    Willing to work with employees' schedules.
    Promotion chances.
    Great campus
    Easy place to get comfortable with a new job.

ConsLimited hours allowed per week, (only about 25).
    Can be disorganized sometimes when it comes to who job responsibilities.
    Limited potential for raises, starting at a $9.15 an hour and an increase of about .50 every 3-6 months.

Arizona State University is a very friendly and encouraging place to work, especially as a student.

Peer Adviser Student Worker (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsAs a student employee they are lenient with work hours because they know you are a student first. Pay is very well, helps with student expenses such as books etc.

ConsI do not have any complaints.

Overall, a great place to work.

Academic Success Coordinator (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat benefits and pay is good based on cost of living.

ConsEnormous growth and continuous change.

Worked for Arizona State University? Contribute to the Community!