Arizona State University

Arizona State University Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Arizona State University President Michael M. Crow

Michael M. Crow

Pros
  • great benefits package with medical insurance and retirement plan(in 17 reviews)

• The work environment is very encouraging and the co-workers are very helpful(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No performance based or cost of living raises(in 6 reviews)

• Not a lot of room for advancement(in 6 reviews)

Academic tutor for one semester

Academic Tutor (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsI was a student tutor for business classes on the Tempe campus. It was a solid job with flexible hours and not a huge time commitment - perfect for a full time student. It's also great because you get paid while also brushing up on your academic knowledge.

ConsIt is very difficult for even the brightest students to remember enough information from previous classes to be able to tutor well. Unless the subject is a tutor's forte (like their major), many tutors struggle to help students in certain classes.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be better training to help the tutors brush up on key knowledge in order to help students better. Management should enlist the help of teachers to put together study guides and quick facts sheets that the tutors can reference. It would also be good to update the tutors on what material is being covered each week in the core classes, so that they can prepare to help in those areas.

Great place to work as a student.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsClose to local bar scene after work, always changing work with the growing university. Was great as a student since i was in and out between classes, my office was right between the buildings i frequently had classes

ConsParking isn't covered for employees, and even when you buy a pass it's not a promised spot unless you part super far away

Advice to Senior Managementmore stuff on the walls really... blank white everything is boring and was the only down side to work

Exciting research, vibrant environment, great faculties

Research Technologist (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsBioDesign institue has some of the best facilities and equipment. The open set up of the labs really promotes interactions with other labs in sharing equipment and ideas. Great environment for learning, growing and trying innovative ideas

ConsThough the benefits are amazing, the overall pay is low, mostly grant based funding, so jobs are not very stable.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A dynamic and highly progressive school

Graduate Research Associate (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

Pros- opportunities for multidisciplinary research
    - university is constantly improving its infrastructure

Cons- a policy of inclusivity and access to education means that a large portion of incoming students will fail to keep up, thereby affecting the quality of education for more ambitious students

Great opportunities, if you are willing to work for them.

Office Specialist Senior (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsOnce you are staff, as long as you are willing to work and are intelligent with great customer service you can move ahead or laterally with ease.

ConsFor some of the higher jobs you need at least a bachelor's degree but more then likely a master's degree. Luckily, you can get your master's while you work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more flexibility with work and school schedules for staff members.

I loved working as a student. My managers were always flexible, and supportive of me.

Student Worker (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsFlexible schedule to work around your class schedule.

Consthe pay is not that high, for student workers but better than minimum wage.

Graduate Research Assistant

Management Intern (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsMy boss has been really great. I work part time and he's very flexible about fitting my hours in around classes and an outside internship, even letting me work online rather than come into the office.
    It's a fast paced environment where I'm working on something different all the time, which I love
    Looks good on a resume, especially if you're planning on staying in the area after graduation

ConsThe Management Intern positions do come with tuition benefits, but no insurance, which can be rough as a grad student not making much money.
    While ASU is a great atmosphere, the city of Phoenix is nothing special. It's all spread out so you have to drive everywhere, and outside of Tempe there isn't a lot to attract younger people.

good research

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

Prosgood research, professor, and classmates. cheap housing.

Consbad weather, job opportunities may not be good.

splendid

Student Worker (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Prosreally collaborative, really helpful, nice people, everyone around was looking out for everyone else. not at all competitive, that was helpful for overall growth

Conslaid back, not at all competitive, not fast paced, no hierarchy, low pay, wish the pay was higher, atleast equal to market standards

Advice to Senior Managementhigh pay

A very good place to improve oneself and make social network.

Process Engineer (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsGet to know how an organization works.

ConsDon't expect the salary to be very high!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it more efficient!

Worked for Arizona State University? Contribute to the Community!