Arizona Western College Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
CEO

1. Greatest job I ever had.

Current Employee - Acquisitions Assistant in Yuma, AZ
    Current Employee - Acquisitions Assistant in Yuma, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Western College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am only a part time employee but get treated as good as everyone else. Management is exceptional.

Cons

I wish there were more benefits for part time workers. And I wish there was more of a chance to move to full time.

Advice to Management

Everyone in my area have been super nice and supportive in all areas.

2. Ok for a small town college

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Arizona Western College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy schedule, 1 free community college class each semester including summer

Cons

All decisions are made in Yuma, so if you work at a satellite campus, they will care very little about you, your college or resources. All Resources are spent on the main campus and the satellite campuses get the left overs. Satellite campuses have very little supervision as well. I worked there 2 years and never saw my supervisor, but I know his voice.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the satellite campuses. Especially since La Paz County gives you a lot of tax payer money for the college, yet gets little in return.

Acceptable for the short term.

Former Employee - Professor in Yuma, AZ
    Former Employee - Professor in Yuma, AZ

I worked at Arizona Western College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Classes run only 4 days/week, so fifth day can be spent on grading, lesson plans, etc... The students are great, many of them eager to break free of the narrow, Yuman culture they were raised in. Some exceptional faculty who make great colleagues. Compensation is not bad if you come in with the maximum of education and a fair amount of experience.

Cons

Constantly shifting leadership and institutional structure makes for lots of instability. The incompetence of many in senior and mid-level leadership is breathtaking. Many faculty are minimally qualified, closed-minded, and have no business teaching at the college level. These tend to be long timers who came in when the academic job market was much less competitive, and they will be at AWC until retirement because they could never get a faculty position elsewhere. One of the joys of an academic career is engaging with high quality colleagues, so this is a major drawback. (As I wrote above, there are, thankfully, several exceptions. You have to do the work to find them.) The culture of Yuma is backward, often racist, very homophobic, and the campus is, for the most part, a reflection of this culture. (Some faculty, staff, and students are working to make positive changes, and they are succeeding in some areas.)

Advice to Management

Consider joining the 21st century and work to create a campus culture that will attract good faculty and staff and make them want to stay more than a few years.

5. great place to work

Former Employee - Creative Director in Yuma, AZ
    Former Employee - Creative Director in Yuma, AZ

I worked at Arizona Western College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus. 4 day work week. Good benefits. Enjoyed being around a talented, interesting, diverse group of colleagues. Worked with an incredible team.

Cons

None—I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Although, walks to and from parking lots during the summer months could get trying.

6. Disconnected from employees and disorganized...

Current Employee - Instructor in Yuma, AZ
    Current Employee - Instructor in Yuma, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Western College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lack of supervision from superiors.

Cons

- Lack of engagement from all staff.

Advice to Management

I worked there for over a year and couldn't tell you what was happening on other campuses. It was very disorganized and the lack of communication even among departments was unbelievable.

7. Best place to work in the area!!

Former Employee - Engineering Supplemental Instructor in Yuma, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineering Supplemental Instructor in Yuma, AZ

I worked at Arizona Western College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet new people everyday and get the opportunity to help them... very rewarding job!!

Cons

There aren't any downsides to my job at Arizona Western College

8. If you like the mission, you'll love the job.

I have been working at Arizona Western College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clear mission Working with students, faculty Significant brand in the community Established role in local educational environment Strong partnerships with other schools /employers /industry Great time off/4 day work week Your job is helping people transform their lives

Cons

Arizona is a tough state on Education in general Multiple shifts in leadership cause instability

Advice to Management

Invest in culture, internal communications Celebrate the successes of the school

"Outsiders" beware!!!

Current Employee - Faculty in Yuma, AZ
    Current Employee - Faculty in Yuma, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Western College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a four-day work-week and the students are very respectful.

Cons

Yuma truly lives up to a stereotypical, old wild-west town. The insiders are bullies that have been there for a long time (or have parents that helped them get into their positions). They will smile to your face and then lie behind your back. Unless you have been fortunate enough to make your way into the clique (very unlikely, and unfortunate, in many ways), get ready to get blind-sided. Most of the upper-management are friends, outside and inside of the workplace, and it is no secret among the employees. If you take an issue to HR, beware of the insiders collaborating. The insiders will promote incompetent people from within, and use them to increase their own power. As another reviewer mentioned, this town has little to no social life for an outsider, due to the transient population. The insurance is very limited to the Yuma vicinity.

Advice to Management

Hire an independent HR consultant to facilitate issues.

Only if NO Other Choice...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yuma, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yuma, AZ

I worked at Arizona Western College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

4 day work week, holiday break without using personal time, above average salary, and family/community events

Cons

Upper management is typical white patriarchy that is two or more decades behind the rest of society. Management has many that lack experience and/or education, unprofessional, and collecting large salaries while doing absolutely nothing. If you challenge them, they will bully you, and eventually you will leave and warn others to avoid working there. The students are great but, very misguided...the average AWC student thinks it takes FOUR years full-time to get an ASSOCIATES degree! And sadly at that institution it is true. These students end up racking up loans that they can not repay due to poor advising that makes them do an additional two years of study. Location, in the middle of the desert with a very transient population due to the military base and proximity to the border. No social environment and not friendly to outsiders. Lacks diversity (actually it's pretty racist) and women are second class citizens and EXTREMELY homophobic!

Advice to Management

The President and Board need to break down the culture of bullying by long term employees and and those with undeserved power that they lazily execute when it serves their self interest. Promote from within to deserving individuals. Terminate ALL of the Deans of Support Services who are sadly unethical and know they can most likely not be employed elsewhere. AWC needs to hire competent, professional, motivated people in those positions to build the institution it deserves to be.

11. It is a good place to work in Yuma

Current Employee - Coordinator
    Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at Arizona Western College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Four day work week, benefits, the people

Cons

lack of compensation and recognition for job well done

Advice to Management

Change promotion and compensation strategies

RSS Feed </> Embed