Arjent Reviews

Updated June 24, 2014
Updated June 24, 2014

3.1

Gary A Schonwald

A churning company for senior brokers.

Current Employee - Apprentice Stockbroker  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Apprentice Stockbroker in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Arjent full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people here were awesome. Because all of us apprentices were together in the same boat on pooh wages, all striving to reach the goal of making it too a broker you got to know people well in this high pressure environment

Cons

The wages were very poor, and very few people actually made it from the stage of apprentice to broker. The majority of us just served as coporatate slaves to the main brokers.

Put in some decent training, to educate the apprentices to deal with the HNW clients. Also create more opportunity for progression.

Mid-Town Manhattan office- Good place to start and learn cold calling but not to build long term career

Former Employee - Junior Broker  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Junior Broker in New York, NY

I worked at Arjent full-time for less than a year

Pros

Partners are great guys. Very down to earth people. Will not make you work 70 hour weeks. Get out early on Fridays. Usually never left any later than 5:30. Very hands on training by the partners. Will teach you how to talk on the phone to people which has helped me a great deal where I am a broker now. They also give you a salary which most firms in the city do not and an increase in salary once you get licensed. Overall better then most firms that I hear of in New York City.

Cons

Will cold call anywhere from 6-10 months before you even take your series 7 and 63. Will have lead competitions and fire brokers who usually finished last. It was not fair because kids were writing up fake leads and would save their jobs while honest people were getting fired. I was fortunate enough to make it past 3 or 4 competitions being honest until I got axed. My advice would be to write up fake leads if your looking to save your job there as a trainee. I have heard they no longer do these competitions and fire people which is a good thing.

Let your trainees get licensed first thing to give them a sense of accomplishment from the get go then let them cold call. Develop a better system for having lead competitions and checking whether leads are fake or not. Overall though it's a good place to learn how to talk and sell on the phone.

NYC arjent division

Former Employee - Investment Banker Trainee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investment Banker Trainee in New York, NY

I worked at Arjent full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lack of stress in the environment, hour long lunch, for the most part upper management was friendly, get to leave at four on fridays, sometimes management would take you out for drinks, and i am sure there are much worse firms out there that you could start out with

Cons

no promotional value, deceived guidance (would tell to strive for something one day, then tell us something completely different the next), lack of professionalism (one employee would walk around the office barefoot), lack of mentorship, 10 hour days (7am to 5:30 pm), ONLY COLD CALLING, they would never give you a straight answer when we would ask management when we would take our licensing exams, no team morale, extremely high turnover rate ( I did not meet a single employee who had been there for more one year other than the CEOs and senior bankers who started the firm), while I worked there I would constantly think what am I actually doing here

Actually invest in your trainees and incorporate a training program with better transparency in terms of what is expected of them, when they will be put up for their licensing exams, and have conitinuous training. Also incoroporate some type of money management training so trainees can actually learn the whole business, and do something other than cold call. Be more upfront in the interview process to avoid wasting both parties time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

its a comfortable environment with a very chill atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Arjent

Pros

if your someone who wants a great balance between work and life its a great place to work. however, if you think you want to work some place where you find hard work rewarding I would consider going elsewhere

Cons

sometimes its not as professional as you might assume. there is a lot of leniency but at times you feel like its hardly a finance firm.

perhaps there should be a bit more of a focus on growing the different areas of the business and attracting some high caliber talent

Job Description

Former Employee - Broker  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Broker in New York, NY

I worked at Arjent

Pros

Hours weren't bad. There was a lot of time that you were allowed to work on your own. Also, nice office.

Cons

There was little to no guidance from senior management. It was extremely rare to receive any real training or understanding of the financial markets.

I think there should be a program set up to train junior brokers more in depth. There was no set way to really get goals accomplished.

Worked for Arjent? Contribute to the Community!