Arkadium Reviews

Updated March 7, 2015
25 reviews filtered by
3.4
Kenny Rosenblatt

Great place to grow your career

I worked at Arkadium (More than a year)

Pros

- I worked at Arkadium for about two years, and I improved pretty dramatically as a game developer (and all-around professional) in that time. The company puts a lot of effort into professional development: you will need to do public speaking in front of the whole NY office, you will need to run meetings, you will need to attend training sessions no matter how long you've worked there. This stuff is really worthwhile even though it does eat up a lot of time.

- CEO and President genuinely want their employees to be happy and will listen to concerns. I don't think enough people actually go speak to them about problems, but they experiment with ways of reaching out to people.

- Work-life balance is taken seriously -- not many employees have kids, but the company seems pretty good about letting parents be flexible.

- The art team is very small, but its work is awesome. All the games I worked on looked really cool visually.

- There's a really talented R&D group that pushes out neat, innovative prototypes every couple of weeks. Most of these games never see the light of day... I wish the company would just release more of these small projects as-is in case it gets a surprise viral hit.

- Company is interested in giving you spaces to be creative and experimental (brainstorms, internal game jams, etc.), even when you weren't on the most ambitious project or role.

- Game teams are very small, which means that you'll get put into high-ownership positions on a regular basis (e.g., the only artist or designer on a game).

- Employees are fun, smart, and well-connected people. I had many evening staying late and playing games with my co-workers, or going out drinking with them, or going to industry events and having them introduce me to new connections.

Cons

- Company management was going through some major, long-term changes during my time there. This led, directly or indirectly, to some unpleasant periods of time -- high turnover and layoffs, changes in company priorities, etc. Mostly it all settled down in the last year, though.

- There was lot of management from the "gut" -- less today than in the pre-transition period. In the past, projects could go ahead with unrealistic expectations and too-ambitious deadlines, but I think the company is more prudent now. Nevertheless, management gets very personally invested in projects and can still let their own preferences/instincts steer development too strongly. Teams can sometimes feel like they're working to please management rather than working to make the best game possible.

- Company was starting to feel more top-heavy in NY by the end of my time there, and I had concerns that this would have a negative effect on employees' independence and creativity.

2. Fun while it lasted.

I worked at Arkadium

Pros

If you have a good manager, you'll have a good time and learn a lot.
    Management team tries to care about employee satisfaction, so there's occasional free stuff and events.
    Pretty great office culture.

Cons

If you want to work for a game developer, look elsewhere. Whoever left the review about amateur hour is absolutely right. All decisions are ultimately up to the president, who doesn't know much about the games industry, but thinks she does. Advice from more experienced game industry veterans gets ignored if it isn't convenient. Bad games continuously get developed despite many arguments against it. Ultimately, this leads to yearly layoffs because year after year revenue goals aren't met.

Management deals with issues reactively, rarely doing anything to prevent potential upcoming problems, and never doing anything prophylactically.

President and CEO blindly think they're heading in the right direction and one day will hit it big, but completely lack awareness of the industry and their own employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to other people, realize you don't always know what's best, and please gain awareness of what's going on in your own office. Every layoff has involved letting go of valuable employees while leaving dead weight.

Stay Away

I worked at Arkadium

Pros

Can't think of any.

Cons

Terrible games, terrible culture, terrible management, terrible job security. Layoffs every year, sometimes more than one.

Amateur hour with no self awareness.

I have been working at Arkadium

Pros

It's in NYC. Execs seem to keep this company alive.

Cons

Husband and wife team mean there's no way to give meaningful feedback up. Clique-y and nasty. No creative leadership. People who work there have no experience in the industry ... they have no idea how amateur hour it is. Cult of personality, weird summer trips to exec's beach homes, or stuff like that.

All the positive feedback here - is it all one or two people writing it?

A company that truly cares that is on the verge of huge success

Former Employee - Game Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Game Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Arkadium full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company really cares about its employees and is constantly looking for ways to increase their happiness

Management is always looking at new processes to increase productivity

Talented Artists and Designers

Company is able to fuel cross platform projects and embrace failure as they are financially secure

Management understand that you have to fail and take risks in order to win

Have their own talented R and D team who are able to churn out lots of prototypes

Smart fun people

Lots of transparency

Owners Kenny and Jess are smart and really care about Arkadium and everyone who works there.

Cons

Talented and experienced management and very passionate junior employees but there needs to be more mid level talent and experienced developers

Advice to Management

Keep going as you are going, but hire more developers for New york office!

A tremendous place for professional growth

I worked at Arkadium full-time

Pros

I got to work here for a long time and it was extremely conducive to my professional and personal growth. I was able to take on new and exciting projects that I was interested in and challenge myself in many different areas across the company. The accessibility to company leaders allowed high level conversations to happen and spur lower level growth. Made great friends and connected with very smart people. The company expected professionalism and encouraged employees to enjoy life. Had a really great time working here.

Cons

Doesn't have many of the "tech startup perks" but the vacation time was great. It felt like there were easy wins that were sometimes ignored without great reasoning or communication.

Advice to Management

More transparency would be helpful as well as moving on trends a little quicker.

8. Fun and Good Job!

Former Employee - Game Artist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Game Artist in New York, NY

I worked at Arkadium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great way to get experience in casual and mobile gaming.
    I was very impressed with how the company was build from the ground up. A lot of the client games were fun to develop. Some of the in-house projects gave us a bit more creative freedom as well.

Cons

Art Direction and Project management could be improved. There were some games that had very unrealistic deadlines and was managed poorly.

9. Intern

I worked at Arkadium

Pros

Payed for travel (train, subway, etc.), Get to see how game companies work

Cons

Did not pay interns for work, games are not creative

Exhausting

Former Employee - Game Programmer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Game Programmer in New York, NY

I worked at Arkadium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-You'll work so hard that future jobs will feel like gravy trains
    -You might make connections in other fields if you're creative.
    -Brainstorming sessions were fun.

Cons

-Pressure is often so high that it counteracts creativity and efficiency.
    -Overbearing management style with excessive (and sometimes bizarre) performance reviews. Didn't get around to playing a company game? News of your transgression will travel up the management channels faster than a hollywood scandal, and you'll get reprimanded at your next weekly one-on-one with your manager.
    -Meetings and presentations...yes, we were required to do presentations...threatened productivity. (though to be fair, if you make a stink about an impending delivery, you can usually get excused or postponed)
    -Very high turnover.
    -Witnessed one of the heads shouting at some of the managers on the floor. (to be fair, only once, but once was enough)

Advice to Management

Nah.

11. Cool place to work

I worked at Arkadium

Pros

very nice co-workers to work

Cons

It was an intense working place

Advice to Management

when people are under pressure, their creativity does not work as good!

Arkadium Photos