Arkansas Children's Hospital

Updated November 29, 2014
Updated November 29, 2014
4.0

Jon Bates

Not perfect,but best place I know of to work

I have been working at Arkansas Children's Hospital part-time

Pros

promotions are fair, require some extra work. Fair pay. Leadership always working to improve themselves and the hospital. Right now safety is a major push, as it should be. Benefits are good especially in the current climate of health insurance costs rising.

Cons

Changes happening so fast causes increased stress levels

I have not had the best experience with people in HR the last few times I have had to go to them about something. Attitudes not friendly and I know of an instance of someone fired because of changing educational requirements. They actually had her sign a form that stated that she left voluntarily, and of course she couldn't get unemployment. Should she have read her papers better? Yes. But I would say that they took advantage of a very hard time in her life.

Great place to work!

I worked at Arkansas Children's Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most people who work here have a genuine interest in helping children and their families. If this is your mission too, you will be happy working here.

Cons

The pay is not great, and there aren't very many financial incentives to keep employees.

Although this is a non-profit organization, some effort should be made to keep talented and caring employees. This could be done by offering some perks and/or development opportunities.

Great company to work for. They promote health and have a wonderful gym with people who work there full time to help you

Current Employee - Patient Information Assistant in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Patient Information Assistant in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Arkansas Children's Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved my hours they have a option to work 36 hrs and I was still considered full time.

Cons

They don't really give raises.

Good experience

I worked at Arkansas Children's Hospital

Pros

Good benefits, consistent job expectations

Cons

Extremely minimal raises, heavy work load at times and not acknowledged by shift management

Care, love, and hope

Former Employee - Secretary III in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Arkansas Children's Hospital part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at ACH for 4.5 years and loved my time there. Great coworkers, support staff and environment! Loved working with the kids and families.

Cons

pay, benefits, compensation, money, perks

Keep doing what you are doing!

Not the best job I've ever had, not the worst job I've ever had

Former Employee - Secretary III in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Arkansas Children's Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, devoted staff, great mission, professional environment.

Cons

I don't agree with (the new CEO) Marcy Doderer's plan to boost ACH's survey standings in US News and World Report. Using a magazine survey as a benchmark seems short-sighted when there are children in this state who don't have access to food, dental and healthcare.

Focus on improving the health and welfare of the children in this state. The US News and World Report is a marketing tool and not an appropriate benchmark for making Arkansas a better place for children to live.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Staff RN in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Arkansas Children's Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great chance to make a difference in the lives of children in the community. Everyday you are surrounded by patients and coworkers who inspire you to be a better person

Cons

Middle management is often to concerned with their own careers and politics to help the people who actually make a difference.

Eliminate patient care manager positions or at least make those type of nurses work with real patients to see what actually happens in the hospital.

Employment at ACH

Former Employee - Security Specialist in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Security Specialist in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Arkansas Children's Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

ACH treats their employees with great respect and the pay is very competitive. You receive annual increases as well as bonus'. They like to have fun but know when to be serious. They give you coupons from Honey Baked Ham that never expire (as long as your employed). HBH comes to the hospital at various times to accommodate each shift. Ice cream parties....!!! Christmas parties!!' Pictures with Santa (for the employees), ha! But it's truly all about the kids...think about it, if they do that much for their employees, imagine what it's like for the kids!

Cons

Some challenges you may face...everybody has an opinion. I don't have anything negative to say about the 5yrs I was there. Sure, I had my issues with certain things, and I hope some day those internal issues will be corrected but they were designated to my area of employment only, and had to do with a system created many years ago...I know they are always working to make things easier and user friendly. ACH houses over 4000 employees so, you can't please everyone.

Continue to listen to those "under" you...they will make or break your outstanding tradition. Don't be afraid of change, the worst part is taking that first step and the worst part to that is you might change it back to the way things were. Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing.

PCT

I have been working at Arkansas Children's Hospital

Pros

They care about their employees.

Cons

I cant think of anything negative.

Always listen to your employees.

Wonderful!

I worked at Arkansas Children's Hospital full-time

Pros

The dedication of this foundation and its employees is unsurpassed.

Cons

There are a lot of nights and weekends.