Arkansas DEQ

James Nunnley
1 Rating

ADEQ

I have been working at Arkansas DEQ

Pros

Building, location, opportunity for advancement

Cons

Management tends to micromanage employees

Empower your people to make decisions and run their sections.

State employee

I have been working at Arkansas DEQ full-time

Pros

Work on a lot of different types of projects

Cons

Do not appreciate management style

Choose mid-management based on qualifications and management style

Engineer

Former Employee - Engineer in North Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Engineer in North Little Rock, AR

I worked at Arkansas DEQ full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay, good working environment. Overall a good group of people with which to work. Also a very educational experience for me. I met some very nice people while working there and though we have drifted apart since my departure, they will remain always in my thoughts.

Cons

Down time could be extremely boring. Though understandable, public scrutiny often lead to some distasteful policies. Policy and politics varied with the political winds. Please do not misunderstand. As public servants we have/I had a responsibility to the taxpayers of the State. However, I know that every individual in my area took their role seriously and upheld said responsibility.

Remember that your employees are adult professionals too.

Pretty Easy Job

Former Employee - Engineer in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Engineer in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Arkansas DEQ full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hardly anyone gets fired. The work is very easy. The vending machines have good selection. You don't have to be very bright and it's still okay.

Cons

Salaries are low. If you are smart and technically competent, you my find the incompetent people you will have to work with and work for very frustrating. Not many places to eat lunch nearby, which is a big part of your day.

Learn how to figure out who knows their stuff and who doesn't, and listen to the smart people. Otherwise, you all do okay with what you have to work with.

Incompetent leadership and low pay equals low morale

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Arkansas DEQ

Pros

There are quite a few paid holidays and vacation time accumulates quickly. If you enjoy working for state government and don't have much of a work ethic or any real job skills, this would be the perfect place for you to work.

Cons

The pay is quite low. Comparable jobs in private industry typically pay 50% to 75% higher. Upper-management political appointees without any technical knowledge really ruined things for the organization. A former agency director would second-guess and/or overturn decisions made at lower levels, only to have his own decisions overturned by the agency's own oversight Commission. When I quit working at ADEQ, front-line employee morale was quite low. From communications with current workers, I understand that employee turnover is presently quite high at ADEQ.

Support your front-line employees. Unless you have the technical expertise, do not second-guess your employees' findings of fact.