Arkansas Power Electronics

Alexander Lostetter

Great opportunity for me

Current Employee - Engineer in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Arkansas Power Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm always amazed by the people in this company all around-- some of the smartest, most creative, and generous and caring people I've ever worked with. I've made great friends here. I've been able to work on exciting projects and technologies. I've had great opportunities to advance my career. They offer benefits like tuition reimbursement, great flex hours, and stock options. I've always worked well with my managers and teammates. We have a great reputation as a business.

Cons

They have really tight deadlines for us at times. The company emphasizes stretch targets-- I think things might be too ambitious at times. We need additional resources in some support areas in the business (like HR or facilities management). We're new at the manufacturing side of the business.

It would be helpful to have a more organized inventory management for the engineering side. I'd like to see more emphasis put on facilities safety where we're dealing with power. University courses and professional short courses are all great, but we could have more internal courses taught by the experienced engineers (I think that would be really beneficial).

Exciting and challenging

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Arkansas Power Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at a number of companies since the late 1980's. By a long shot, APEI has been the most fun, exciting, and challenging of them all. In general, we hire very talented employees that are intelligent and highly skilled. I feel the company really cares about me, my future, my daily work life, and offering me a path to continue my professional growth. The company has good direction in a good field, and has had great yearly growth every year I've worked here. APEI seems to work hard to get smart and creative people.

Cons

There are some cons. APEI is a small business, so you need to wear different hats sometimes, or do things outside your immediate job role. I like this, but some peope don't. Things are pretty fast, and so you need to like fast pace. The management expects you to be self directed and self motivated most of the time, so I've noticed the newer Gen Y sometimes have a hard time adjusting to that.

Hire more older and experienced people. We have good young talent, but a large portion of our workforce is under 40. Try to broaden recruitment geographically. Provide more "soft skills" training to the engineering staff.

Challenging, fun, engaging, and important research in power electronics.

I have been working at Arkansas Power Electronics full-time

Pros

Dynamic, creative, and highly intelligent technical staff.
    Interesting technology with the potential to have a major impact in industry.
    Flexible hours and excellent benefits.
    Opportunity to grow into many job roles based on your own interest and merit.

Cons

Small businesses have their joys and challenges. It can be a difficult job with all staff required to handle multiple roles. People who excel at wearing many "hats", however, thrive in these environments.

A nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Fayetteville, AR

I worked at Arkansas Power Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Allows a young engineer to hone their technical skillset using state-of-the-art design software and techniques.

Coworkers were some of the brightest and most talented engineers I've had the pleasure of working with.

Free candybars and redbull.

Cons

Weak ineffectual leaders. Some of the "hats" you can expect to wear as an engineer here are "business development", "marketing", "purchasing", "manager", "technician" and "personal assistant." Compensating for a weak management team leaves very little time to engineer. Be prepared to learn and do everything on your own. The Business Plan here is centered on hiring talented young engineers and workng them into the ground. One of the favorite quotes of a Senior Manager used to be "I don't know, you're the engineer." That pretty well sums up the attitude of the management team.

Job security is the other big negative here. During my tenure, there were meetings regarding the number of months of employment to be had. I do commend the CEO for never having any layoffs, but without a marketable product line there will continue to be tough times.

Low morale and a constantly negative work enviornment stifles creativity.

Fire the entire Board of Directors and the CEO, hire Steve Jobs. But seriously, Get some experienced folks who can help you run a business. Academics are smart people, but this does not mean they know the first thing about running a business. During my tenure, no one with a "C" in their title had ever held a position outside of academics.

Respect is a two way door, give some to your employees if you want them to reciprocate.

Like a football coach, the CEO is responsible for Leading, Guiding, and Motivating. It starts and ends there.

Do not treat this as a "lifestyle company." Do not drive a Lotus to work after skimping on raises - or really ever for that matter.

A serious evaluation of Business Plan, Leaders, and Core Values is needed.

A company with creative technical people but terrible upper management. Only work here if you absolutely need a job.

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Fayetteville, AR

I worked at Arkansas Power Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is decent for the area. Flexible time is convenient.

Cons

This place does not know how to manage their technical staff! The culture is chaotic at best and toxic at worst. The management style is despotic and hardheaded. Upper management doesn't know how to best use their technical staff and refuse to listen to people with more experience in industry.
    As a company, their business model forces them to go after grant money and dilute their people resources. There is no clear vision.
    If you are considering this company, ask hard questions regarding their main sources of funding, "product" line, their product readiness, sales forecasts, sustainability. If they are honest, you'll realize this is a bad deal.

The whole upper management layer needs to be replaced.

Interesting state of the art R&D in the new SiC power field

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Arkansas Power Electronics

Pros

(1) Exciting and challenging projects and research (get to do some cool stuff)
    (2) Interesting and fulfilling work on spacecraft (NASA), military, energy, and next gen automotive systems
    (3) Goood benefits, flex time, salary, bonuses, tuition reimbursement, etc.
    (4) Stock options
    (5) Great colleagues, peers (intelligent, fun, really positive work atmosphere), and management
    (6) Our company seems to work hard to get the right people "on the bus"

Cons

(1) Requires multi-tasking several projects at once (not my favorite thing to do)
    (2) Work load sometimes requires 45-50 hour work week
    (3) Small business, so sometimes have to tackle engineering or other tasks outside my immediate expertise (but this also gives me opportunities to learn new things)
    (4) Fast paced (sometimes, really fast paced)
    (5) The technology we work on is pretty far out, so it takes a while before we get to see it in end products

Let's get MORE people. But let's keep them being "the right people" too. Let's keep the cool projects coming in. I'd like to see more technology get out of the "research" phase. I'm excited to see the manufacturing facilities ramping up- more of us might like the opportunity to be involved that.

Management

I have been working at Arkansas Power Electronics

Pros

Small company. Flexible time. Plenty of parking space.

Cons

Management is inexperienced. Medical benefits are not competitive. Financial limitations of a small business. The company does not have a clear direction.

Arkansas Power Electronics Photos

One of APEI's cleanrooms, view from hallway

+ Add Photo