Arkansas State University Reviews

• Jonesboro, AR Area
3.9
Arkansas State University Chancellor Dr. Tim Hudson
Dr. Tim Hudson

1. My overall experience at ASU was great. I enjoyed my time at the University.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jonesboro, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jonesboro, AR

I worked at Arkansas State University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people were amazing. I worked within a department of close knit people that respected one another and have great feedback. The environment in which I worked was nearly ideal, and my supervisor was easy to get along with and come to with any issues.

Cons

The politics within the University leave something to be desired. Each college deals with politics and lack of funding. In the college I worked for, we couldn't hire a new professor, which was desperately needed, because the funding wasn't available, yet the "hire-ups" received yearly raises and cash bonuses. Anyone with a "Vice" tacked on their title will be receive a bonus, even if they haven't done any work.

Focus more on getting the faculty you need rather than offering bonuses to all of the "vice" employees.

2. Don't care about employee's needs

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Jonesboro, AR

I worked at Arkansas State University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a great job if you're working on a master's degree. There is lots of opportunity to make contacts with the professors and get assistance where you need to. Also, if you're lucky you'll have time to work on your school work.

Cons

The bosses of the program don't care about their employee's needs. They'll promise one thing and the minute their needs change they'll throw you to the curb if your hours no longer fit what they want.

Have some integrity and keep promises. Just because your employees are students as well doesn't mean that you can treat them like children.

3. IT Support

Former Employee - IT Support in Jonesboro, AR
    Former Employee - IT Support in Jonesboro, AR

I worked at Arkansas State University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good place to work at, very friendly and relaxed environment. Training was available and at high extent.

Cons

No growth opportunities and low salaries!

give a chance for people to prove themselves!

5. University

Former Employee - Computer Lab Assistant in Jonesboro, AR
    Former Employee - Computer Lab Assistant in Jonesboro, AR

I worked at Arkansas State University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good place to study. Very peaceful and quite environment. Everyone is friendly in jonesboro and it makes the place a good place to stay.

Cons

Some of the challenges I faced is the transportation system here. there are no buses and sometimes it makes it difficult to go somewhere if you are in international student. The school provides transport on limited days though.

6. My experience with ASU was good

Former Employee - Academic Tutor in Jonesboro, AR
    Former Employee - Academic Tutor in Jonesboro, AR

I worked at Arkansas State University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy professors, cheap, everything is located close by

Cons

Not very friendly international office service (for international students), very slow in processing

7. Graduate Assistant

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Jonesboro, AR

I worked at Arkansas State University part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is OK, in general advisors are good, encouraging, and most people are pleasant to work with.

Cons

No benefits, wages are relatively low, more leadership is needed, slow-paced environment, bureaucracy is overwhelming.

The University needs to be more dynamic, more leaders are needed to move this big University. The University produces good professionals that could be retained to build a stronger institution in terms or administration and academically.

8. It's great

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Arkansas State University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice environment, not much stress

Cons

No complain every is great here

9. Lots of potential, mediorcre management

Current Employee - Administrative Staff in Jonesboro, AR
    Current Employee - Administrative Staff in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Arkansas State University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A higher ed institution in the Delta with great potential to advance
    Many bright, devoted faculty from across the US
    Laid-back environment, personable and friendly

Cons

Academics in management/administration who are the people they can get to take the job for the lowest salary, with NO regard for their management skills or (lack) of vision.
    Little room for professional advancement.
    Many "seat warmer" employees who perform little and still get paid while high performers are often overlooked
    Current chancellor is very isolated; disconnected from faculty and staff (even deans) of all departments.

Decide to invest in your staff members and their professional development. Lose the low performers. You'll get much more for your money in the long-run.

10. Registry

Current Employee - Database Maintenance and Client Customer Service in Jonesboro, AR

I have been working at Arkansas State University

Pros

ASU offers satisfactory Benefits and working conidtions. Co-workers are generally friendly and helpful. There are community benefits from being an ASU emplyee. Overall there is a spirit of concentrated effort to do a good job.

Cons

Most of the areas of employment at ASU are managed as a feifdoms, little or no regard to the development of a career path, and a great deal of effort to eliminate anything like merit pay. In this society members of staff are peons or indentured servants with the academics serving as lairds of the manor.

Staff positions are meaningless department management spends most of its time protecting it's 'turf' from intruders.

Fact: Talking to HR about a problem is much the same as sending email directly to your boss. No indication of confidentiality or real consideration. Win your case throug persistance and there goes you performance report.

Staff Senate is a waste of time, everyone fears for their job, most members are academic or supervisory. . . no workers allowed. Who's the omsbudsman for a ground level worker with 5 years of experience, and a valid complaint.