Arlington Independent School District

Arlington Independent School District Reviews

Updated April 8, 2015
21 reviews filtered by
3.5
Arlington Independent School District Interim Superintendent Dr. Marcelo Cavazos
Dr. Marcelo Cavazos

1. As a Professional Substitute, I got the chance to have an inside look at how this specific district values it's educator

Former Freelancer - Professional Substitute
    Former Freelancer - Professional Substitute

I worked at Arlington Independent School District (more than a year)

Pros

Overall, I must say it was a great experience. A great atmosphere in a god majority of the individual schools. Very helpful people. Scoped many opportunities for after graduation. Definitely one of my top three best districts to work with.

Cons

I cannot think of any negatives, as my only position was subbing.

Advice to Management

It seems you're doing well enough without my inexperienced opinion.

2. Teacher's Assistant

Former Employee - Teacher's Assistant in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher's Assistant in Arlington, TX

I worked at Arlington Independent School District

Pros

Benefits are great. It's a wonderful job to have while raising your family as you are off work when your children are off. If you find a school to work at that is close to home that is another benefit. There is always room to grow and learn new skills if you are willing to move around to different departments.

Cons

The pay is not very good; however, if you work Summer School or find a job during the Summer months will make up for it.

3. Very Poor Management, Terrible Work/Life Balance.

Former Contractor - Teacher, Secondary School in Arlington, TX
    Former Contractor - Teacher, Secondary School in Arlington, TX

I worked at Arlington Independent School District as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at Bowie High School. The interior of the building is lovely with plants and lots of light. The student population is interestingly diverse.

Cons

While a portion of the problem was the cuts made by the Texas legislature to education, mismanagement was the largest source of teacher stress. Management treats teachers as if they are less reputable than students, which is something of a general trend in education currently. There is no respect for teacher time and management often ask teachers to work longer because of poor planning and organization on their part. Administrators bullied some teachers and were condescending to all of us. The worst work environment I have ever endured including my teen years in fast food management. I know that teaching is challenging in general everywhere, but this was really quite awful.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I would not know where to begin to start. Morale was so bad, the environment so jaded and negative, I don't know how it would be possible to turn it around. I think it would take an honest trustworthy principal who was fully supported by upper level management as opposed to being under constant threat and passing that threat along to his/her teachers. The district has so turned to threats and negativity I'm not sure how you could turn it around. I did not fully realize how awful it was and how much it affected me until I left. I felt like I escaped prison.

5. It's a great job only if you enjoy working around children.

Current Employee - Bus Attendant in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Bus Attendant in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Arlington Independent School District part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It a good job if you have children you will be off on all the school holidays. This means that you will get to spend more time with your children on major holidays.

Cons

The time off policies sucks only because not all employees get paid for the holiday off periods. So the Christmas and Summer breaks comes along you will not get paid them days off like a school teacher will or other employees.

6. A good school district to substitute for !

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Arlington Independent School District full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Im able to choose the days I would like to substitute.

Cons

When there are bad weather days, holidays you will be compensated.

7. Great place to learn how to tutor students, and they offer training sessions.

Former Employee - AVID Tutor in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - AVID Tutor in Arlington, TX

I worked at Arlington Independent School District part-time (less than a year)

Pros

AISD provides different locations to work at, and are very flexible with their schedule.

Cons

Some job locations may be at two different places, when picking up more hours.

8. Clerk

Current Employee - Clerk in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Clerk in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Arlington Independent School District full-time (more than a year)

Pros

So much support is available from staff.

Cons

It took a really long time to start working after I got hired.

9. Not what it used to be

Current Employee - Teacher in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Arlington Independent School District full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

District offers competitive pay and good training opportunities. Large district so chance for transfers but favor outside hiring.

Cons

Principals have poor leadership skills, most do not appropriately support teachers, student discipline is discouraged by leadership (new policy this year is placing most discipline on individual teachers).

Advice to Management

The success of your schools and district as a whole falls on the shoulders of your teachers. You are running off seasoned and specialized teachers for generalists that have minimal knowledge of content areas. You are allowing principals to bully teachers. By tying the hands of teachers you are allowing misconduct to dictate the classroom and take away the educational environment for those that want to learn.

10. Positive

I worked at Arlington Independent School District

Pros

Colleague relationships, collaboration, teambuilding opportunities

Cons

Demanding schedule, no respect for work-life balance

Advice to Management

Support career growth opportunities

11. reactive, not proactive

I have been working at Arlington Independent School District full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

most people I work with are fabulous and concerned.

Cons

Reactive not proactive. Would like to see more "outside the box" thinking.