Arlington Public Schools

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dr. Patrick K. Murphy

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

REEP was a supportive group of supervisors and instructors alike

English Instructor (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsWorking for REEP was great because I really enjoyed teaching English to the adult learners there. Training opportunities were well done and helped spur new ideas for the classroom. Fellow instructors were great. Support from both supervisors and coworkers was the highlight for me.

ConsMost positions with REEP are only part-time.

A room with no windows.

Teacher (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsSome of the teachers are great, it helps to have them to talk to and empathize with.

ConsThere is no transparency between employees and the administration. You never know what they expect of you, if you are meeting their expectations, or if you're in danger of being fired. Because of the lack of communication, I have felt that I would be fired any day but am now told that I'm a great educator. This needs to be more fluidly communicated with faculty. There is little to no feedback. Although it is mandated by the state that you have a debriefing and short onion one evaluation with the principal after every observation, these are often cancelled. At the end of the day, you have no idea how well you're doing and no one cares enough to tell you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to the faculty, be more transparent with your ideas and concerns.

Great place to work, wish the temporary position was extended!!

Music Teacher (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsAPS has wonderful students that really want to learn, exciting faculty that really want to teach them, and pertinent administrators that really care about the educational process.

ConsAPS position was a temporary, part-time, full-year position that was not exnded... TOO SHORT!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Head Lifeguard

Head Lifeguard (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsArlington County law requires that all county employees who are also high school graduates start at $12.94/hr or more.

ConsThere are not many opportunities to advance unless you have worked at the pools forever. Management positions always seem to go to the people who have been there the longest, regardless of any actual managerial skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the lifeguards. We're the ones who are on deck and we always have the best ideas for improving the pools. Also, follow through with some of the promises you make to us; we don't forget about them.

The district is above average, schools vary based on leadership

VPI Teacher (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsThe county provides employees with nice benefits, and pays at the high end of standard teacher salary scale. it's a smaller school district than many surrounding districts, which makes county-wide meetings a reasonable size and productive.

ConsThe experience in an individual school can vary widely. The administration of the school determines much of the working culture; it is a matter of learning how your administrators runs the school to ensure success as an employee.

Once upon a time it was great...change in leadership went in a different direction

Central Office Administrator (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

Prosgreat salaries, small community, very supportive, in the past 10 years with the change in senior administration there have been changes, but prior to that it was a very tight knit professional group

Consvery involved, almost to a fault, community. very expensive if you want to live close by to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer opportunities should be available to internal candidates in a genuine way.

It was great working for the grounds crew

Summer Worker (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay
    friendly co workers
    work was not tough
    got to help alot of people

ConsThe hours 6am - 2pm were killer

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more consistent with what the summer workers had to do

Good place

Arlington, VA

ProsGood place to work. Stable job and decent pay. Holidays are off with pay. Good health benefits and 401K package.

ConsMost of the personnel is old and not very inovative. Treatment of people needs improvement and could be little better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreatment of people needs improvement and could be better. Everything else is normal and stable work enviroment in this turbulent times.

As a seasonal worker, very relaxing.

Maintenance Worker (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsLots of down-time, a very relaxed environment, cool people to work with, sometimes we were allowed to leave early.

ConsHad to wake up very early, one of the company leaders was incompetent and difficult to understand.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, the management did a good job. I only had complaints with one of the leaders, who, as I said earlier, was hard to understand and somewhat incompetent.

Good and Bad

Arlington, VA

ProsGood compensation compared to other schools. Arlington is not suffering from bad economy as much as other counties. Diverse student body. Unique opportunities, being close to DC. Innovative general education programs. Good program for children with autism, with lots of resources and support. Many teachers with advanced degrees. Dedicated teachers and staff. Really involved and supportive parents and families. Great technology resources.

ConsPoor supervision and management at senior levels. Bullying behavior of administrators and personnel staff toward school staff. Threats to terminate contracts if medical leave is taken. Threats to "black list" employees who quit so that they will not be able to be employed at other schools within the state. Poor support for many parts of the special education programs. High caseloads for some special educators and for related service staff (speech therapists, OTs and PTs). A lot of time and money is wasted on large, long and pointless meetings of all kinds.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your employees respect.
    Take personnel management courses to improve your skills in this area.

Worked for Arlington Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Arlington Public Schools reviews and ratings in Arlington, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Arlington Public Schools CEO Dr. Patrick K. Murphy . All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Arlington Public Schools employees.