Armanino

Updated February 19, 2015
4.0

Armanino Managing Partner Andy Armanino
Andy Armanino

Love working with so many talented people.

Current Employee - Tax Senior in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Armanino full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone one at Armanino is required to have a breadth of knowledge in their area of expertise. This makes everyone a great asset to the firm.

Cons

Smaller firm that doesn't offer the name of the Big 4. I would argue that the talent at lower levels is very competitive and may vary as you move through the ranks.

Communicate well and make culture a bigger focus.

Great People

I have been working at Armanino

Pros

The people and atmosphere creates both fun and productive work areas. There seems to be a large gap between the bland lifestyle of the big 4 and the lifestyle at Armanino. Partners through staff are friendly and happy.

Cons

Different offices may have a little bit different of attitudes which can cause some conflicts when jobs require staff from different areas.

Awesome place to work! Very smart people and great culture!

I have been working at Armanino

Pros

There are a lot of sharp folks at the company and tons of resources if you can find them.
    Consulting really keeps things fresh. There are always new and exciting projects coming up.
    The culture is amazing!

Cons

Some of the practices are newer and have yet to develop standard practices. Project management and organizational best practices need to be developed. If you can't self manage your tasks and time this is not the place for you.

Keep it up!

Consultant

I have been working at Armanino

Pros

Great Team, great learning environment, knowledgeable consultants

Cons

Not the best when offering a competitive salary or benefits

CPA firm

I worked at Armanino

Pros

Variety of industries to get experience in auditing, tax and consulting, fair training, reasonable starting salaries.

Cons

A lot of politics, Very impersonal and cold relationships with management. Slow in promoting people.

Value your "staff", allow people to grow in the areas they have the best growth potential

Audit

I worked at Armanino

Pros

opportunity is better than big 4, pay is good, people are great

Cons

smaller clients means more unpredictability

Utility > Knowledge (Consulting Arm)

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Armanino full-time

Pros

Nice, smart co-workers. Compensation was decent. Time-off was flexible. Work from home was flexible

Cons

Armanino's consulting practice seems to only care about billable hours. They hardly train employees. They think they do, but really it's training for people that already understand the product. Don't seem to care if you know the product or not, as long as your billable. I was almost assigned to a project in which I has 0 expertise, but they wanted me there so I could be heavily billed. Crazy.

Also, they have the mentality of "if you don't hear anything from your manager or partner, then you're good." Praise and feedback and minimal, if not non-existent. This may be okay for people used to that, but no way to sustain a practice an encourage younger people to join.

Based on this, they know nothing of what you're actually working on, just your clients. During reviews, they'll quote "improvements" based on things they barely know about.

Train your employees heavily. Invest significant $$ in this as this is the most important thing for your organization. Also, give feedback regularly, not only during reviews.

Overall, a good learning experience. Some issues with certain management, but a good first place to work at for myself.

Former Employee - Staff Tax Accountant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Tax Accountant in San Jose, CA

I worked at Armanino full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exposure to larger clients and international issues. Very knowledgeable partners and managers from big 4, or industry.

Cons

When I was there, we were too often understaffed. It's public accounting, so what can you expect? You work long hours. Some people find a good gig where they don't, but for the most part, you do.

Keep morale up. Make sure staff and/or seniors are happy with the company and with each other. Too often conflicts between staff/senior/manager have completely ruined relationships and made it an unpleasant environment to work in. A hands-off attitude from the higher up is to blame in my opinion.

Just my thoughts...

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Armanino full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and learning opportunities.

Cons

Hours and work load. Better than the big 4, but still the typical public accounting grind.

Consider scheduling audit wrap up time.

Great place to learn, grow, and stay

Current Employee - Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Armanino full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working at AMLLP I had the opportunity to try new career paths with support from managers and partners. Encouragement abounds at AMLLP. If you're passionate about a field or specialty, you can take an entrepreneurial approach, with support from your mentors and peers. There is a great work/life balance. This is a great place to work no matter how far into your career you are: you will have opportunities to learn, grow, or plant roots and be part of something great for years to come.

Cons

Compensation is good, if you know and can prove your worth.

Keep the family-friendly environment, keep to the "old roots" of the companies founders.