Armour

Updated July 24, 2014
Updated July 24, 2014
1.8

Mike Brown

great place to meet business owners and be a successful sales representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Armour full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

you wont have the boss riding your every move, you work as hard as you can to get the job done, and there will still be more to do, Benefits are great , you will surely see what you are made of

Cons

long days if you want to make good commissions, under paid for sales volumes, don't expect to have a social life during the week, you will not be able to make set times on a regular basis, unless you plan to underachieve

Pay these guys more, their bodies and minds are being overworked and abused, high volumes should speak higher rewards, lower volumes already speak for themselves, No commitment!!!!

No hope of balanced life.

Former Employee - Direct Sales Delivery in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Direct Sales Delivery in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Armour full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you can finish you overloaded route you can expect Monday - Friday work week.

Cons

Tried to make deliveries in a broken down fleet on a over sized route. This is because of shortage of drivers, most quit because you have to forget about having a life cause you can't earn enough money working less than 50 hours.

Fix the fleet. Increase you base pay and commissions. Take the focus off Management and show more care about Employees. Create a decent work environment.

Local management has favorites

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peru, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peru, IN

I have been working at Armour full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company benefits, not bad pay

Cons

Local management plays favorites and if you are not friends with the right people there are no advancement opportunities. Also, if you befriend the "wrong" people, person, or department the same management will make your life difficult.

Personal growth and no favoritism. We are all a team working for the same end result.

Business is booming but most of the compensation goes to upper management.

Current Employee - DSD-Amour-Eckrich Meats
    Current Employee - DSD-Amour-Eckrich Meats

I have been working at Armour full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Weekends off. Paycheck shows up when it's supposed to.

Cons

Not enough personnel available to get the job done properly. DSD pay is too low for the amount of hours worked and the effort required to get the job done right. Can't keep people because compensation is not comparable to other DSD jobs in the same area. Proper training of new employèes does not happen. All new employees are hired and set up to fail. The hiring process for a branch employee takes longer than a month. I don't think management has any idea how much work is performed by the branch level employees, nor do I think they care as long as the sales goals are achieved. I'm certain that upper management is not interested in hearing the truth because everything is going well at the corporate office.

Change the pay structure for the route sales reps. Make it worth their time to spend three hours serving a single dollar store. Why does a rep get paid the same rate of pay to serve a deli account as he does to serve a dollar store when the dollar store takes you ten times the amount of time to serve as the deli account?
    Talk to some long time branch level employees that are willing to speak the truth about ways to improve the business. Don't listen to the people that tell you just what they think you want to hear. Mike Brown is not the CEO. Dennis Organ is the CEO.

It paid well, but ultimately it was not satisfying

I worked at Armour (more than an year)

Pros

It pays well and had good benefits.

Cons

There is favoritism through the roof there. You can never get ahold of the office people if you work third shift. The office people don't show up at 7 in the morning like first shift people do. They favor the Mexicans over everyone. In one department there were no bid jobs held by any other race because one L1 wanted who she wanted in charge even if they didn't have seniority.

You really should pay more attention and care about your employees. You might not have such a turn over rate if you actually cared about the people who do all the work.

20 years behind in technology

Current Employee - Relief Driver in Brook Park, OH
    Current Employee - Relief Driver in Brook Park, OH

I have been working at Armour full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was the only pro

Cons

horrible logistics and routing out of date handhelds too much time in a store looowwww pay

Sell the company

Seventy hour a week job!! for 625.00

Current Employee - Relief Driver in Findlay, OH
    Current Employee - Relief Driver in Findlay, OH

I have been working at Armour full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you want a heart attack, stroke, mental issues this job is for you.

Cons

Do not work at Findlay office. Rich will screw you in the ground!

Get rid of guys like Rich in Findlay. Or the company is doomed!

If you are a nice person, this company is not for you

I have been working at Armour full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Decent pay. Nice office environment as the building is relatively new. Some groups seem to be great (AP), Customer Service.

Cons

The corporate culture is fast declining. People are relatively nasty to work with. As some other reviewer noted--there is obvious favoritizm for the employees that have been with the company longer. With the change of some upper management, the environment in some groups changed to being cut-throat. There are groups of employees that formed a while ago and as a new hire, don't expect to be let in. As a result, you may end up being a loner in a big open office. The information flow is terrible. If there is an issue in the job that you are doing and the other group encountered the issue, you will most likely find it from another person (most likely from the one who has been here longer than you). At that point, the person will "volunteer" to do all the research for you, so you are left with no knowledge of the issue. As a result, there is no learning opportunity nor growth. Departments are territorial and managers hoard the projects. So, if you are someone who just wants to get by and get paid, this company may be for you. Otherwise, I will suggest--flee from it.

Take care of declining corporate culture.

hourly

Current Employee - General Workman
    Current Employee - General Workman

I have been working at Armour full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

the pay isnt fair for what we do

Cons

you dont have a life outside of the workplace. you practically live at your job. They expect 1 person to do the job of 8 people within an 8 hr time frame. They want the impossible to be possible and they expect employee's to pull a rabbit out of their hat, or what we call it, a Chinese fire drill. This is getting more employee's to seek employment elsewhere.

Stop treating employee's like they are in the military. This is not the military. Stop expecting the lower people on the totem pole to pick up managements screw ups. Stop blaming the lower levels for the managements screw ups.
    Stop with the pitiful threats of doing this or that to the employee's that you know is illegal. This is called harassment. Stop treating employee's like were the (beaten dog and getting yelled at by its owner) and expect us to cower down like that beaten dog. We are humans, we have families and lives outside the work place.
    To management, We are not Gods, We are not androids nor are we robots. I would love to have some of you guys who sit behind the desks and push pencils to come down to our level and see just what we have to go through everyday. Maybe then you will change how you run the business. Make it a business, not a slave labor camp or a sweat shop

Ok place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Armour

Pros

The company is a great starting point you learn alot. The pay isn't bad for entry level either. Alright work life balance

Cons

Poor treatment if your not in the "in" crowd. Promotions are hard to come by and the co workers are alright depending on your department.

Give your entry levels more time and stop favoring those people who have been here for years. If your going to favor don't publically do it.