Armour

Updated Feb 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Brown

It paid well, but ultimately it was not satisfying

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Armour for more than a year

ProsIt pays well and had good benefits.

ConsThere is favoritism through the roof there. You can never get ahold of the office people if you work third shift. The office people don't show up at 7 in the morning like first shift people do. They favor the Mexicans over everyone. In one department there were no bid jobs held by any other race because one L1 wanted who she wanted in charge even if they didn't have seniority.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really should pay more attention and care about your employees. You might not have such a turn over rate if you actually cared about the people who do all the work.

20 years behind in technology

Relief Driver (Current Employee)
Brook Park, OH

I have been working at Armour full-time for more than a year

ProsI was the only pro

Conshorrible logistics and routing out of date handhelds too much time in a store looowwww pay

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company

Seventy hour a week job!! for 625.00

Relief Driver (Current Employee)
Findlay, OH

I have been working at Armour full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you want a heart attack, stroke, mental issues this job is for you.

ConsDo not work at Findlay office. Rich will screw you in the ground!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of guys like Rich in Findlay. Or the company is doomed!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are a nice person, this company is not for you

I have been working at Armour full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work/life balance. Decent pay. Nice office environment as the building is relatively new. Some groups seem to be great (AP), Customer Service.

ConsThe corporate culture is fast declining. People are relatively nasty to work with. As some other reviewer noted--there is obvious favoritizm for the employees that have been with the company longer. With the change of some upper management, the environment in some groups changed to being cut-throat. There are groups of employees that formed a while ago and as a new hire, don't expect to be let in. As a result, you may end up being a loner in a big open office. The information flow is terrible. If there is an issue in the job that you are doing and the other group encountered the issue, you will most likely find it from another person (most likely from the one who has been here longer than you). At that point, the person will "volunteer" to do all the research for you, so you are left with no knowledge of the issue. As a result, there is no learning opportunity nor growth. Departments are territorial and managers hoard the projects. So, if you are someone who just wants to get by and get paid, this company may be for you. Otherwise, I will suggest--flee from it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of declining corporate culture.

hourly

General Workman (Current Employee)

I have been working at Armour full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe pay isnt fair for what we do

Consyou dont have a life outside of the workplace. you practically live at your job. They expect 1 person to do the job of 8 people within an 8 hr time frame. They want the impossible to be possible and they expect employee's to pull a rabbit out of their hat, or what we call it, a Chinese fire drill. This is getting more employee's to seek employment elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating employee's like they are in the military. This is not the military. Stop expecting the lower people on the totem pole to pick up managements screw ups. Stop blaming the lower levels for the managements screw ups.
Stop with the pitiful threats of doing this or that to the employee's that you know is illegal. This is called harassment. Stop treating employee's like were the (beaten dog and getting yelled at by its owner) and expect us to cower down like that beaten dog. We are humans, we have families and lives outside the work place.
To management, We are not Gods, We are not androids nor are we robots. I would love to have some of you guys who sit behind the desks and push pencils to come down to our level and see just what we have to go through everyday. Maybe then you will change how you run the business. Make it a business, not a slave labor camp or a sweat shop

Ok place

I have been working at Armour

ProsThe company is a great starting point you learn alot. The pay isn't bad for entry level either. Alright work life balance

ConsPoor treatment if your not in the "in" crowd. Promotions are hard to come by and the co workers are alright depending on your department.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your entry levels more time and stop favoring those people who have been here for years. If your going to favor don't publically do it.

I thought slavery was illegal

Relief Route Driver (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Armour

ProsThe company has been in existence over 100 years and will be in business for a very long time. I really have no pro's. I just had to put something in here.

ConsWhen interviewed, I was told it was 50 to 60 hours a week, which I really felt was to many to begin with. When I started, I was assigned a man to train me that had been with the company for years. He was )to put it politely) a country type person that had played football in high school and lived on a farm. For some reason, he disliked me from the start. He asked me very personal questions like how much money my family was worth, why I needed an android telephone, and others. It's amazing he didn't ask how often my wife and I made love. When I answered questions that were proper, such as hobbies, I told him of some activities I perform with Government agencies. He would rip my head off about these when most people would find them commendable. He pressured me to work faster with military screaming in my ear, threw boxes at me at rapid succession which caused an injury, cussed at me, called me a (expletive) up, that I could not do anything right and more. This job turned into a 70 hour a week venture. My other half and others I know would tell me I looked like I was dying. I was told I would get help from other drivers to learn, and that help never happened. This job was a total nightmare. I had to quit due to doctor's orders or face a heart attack or a casket. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like humans, work them less hours, train them better, fire the man that abused me and caused the hostile environment.

Poor Management

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Armour

ProsDecent Salaries, Finance Departments seem to have a team attitude and work well with others. Line level employees are very helpful and willing to go the extra mile.

Summer hours are a nice perk but are only every 2nd to 3rd Friday.

ConsPoor management, no feedback, rappant favoritism, no sense of team attitude.

Armour was spun off from Conagra, if you are part of that original group of people you are accepted even if you're not very good at your job. Once the spun off occured many people were made managers who have no management experience. This leads to managers doing all the work without delegating to lower level employees.

Therefore you have 2 classes of people, the original core employees and the new employees. The original core is well respected by the other core employees while the newer employees are not given opportunities to flourish in this company.

It all boils down to poor management and no team atmosphere at all. Its a dog eat dog type of enviroment.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen and honest communication needs to be provided. Everything in this company is a "secret".

Avoid this company!

QA Manager (Current Employee)
Lufkin, TX

I have been working at Armour

ProsThe pay is high. The pay should be considered hazard pay because everyday is like a war zone!

ConsArmour was dropped by ConAgra. ConAgra shed itself of the incompetent management and Armour got the rejects...And it shows. Corporate management is scrambling to cover up their weaknesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your management staff!

Company still operates like an Old Boys Club

I have been working at Armour

ProsCompensation is above average and they have no issues with allowing you freedom if you need to take care of personal business and allow you to work from home on those occasions

ConsPromotions are based on who you know, not what you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication from Middle Manaagers and above would enhance the enviroment, and maybe allow a team enviroment to flouish.

Worked for Armour? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Armour reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Armour CEO Mike Brown. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Armour employees.