Armstrong Atlantic State University

Updated Feb 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mediocre

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat location with a pretty campus. New amenities.

ConsPoor housing, bad management. Small school with a Napoleon complex. Education is semi; hard for no reason then trying to make a statement. With a degree from here, one should stay in Savannah, as no one has ever heard of it anywhere else. If you are working here, departments vary. But the autonomous "front office" is arrogant and not rules by power.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, they are the ones who are connected to the environment around them; and the students needs.

So much better than SCAD

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Savannah, GA

Pros* Warm faculty, staff, and students
    * Garden-like campus (it is an actual arboretum)
    * Great events and perks for faculty and staff
    * This is where I want my children to come to college
    * Wonderful benefits, including great retirement and good health

Cons* IT services is understaffed and slow to help
    * Nobody works 40-hour weeks if they are classified
    * Only a handful of raises in the last five years.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire fewer administrators for politically correct offices and put more money toward staff and faculty

Great academic research environment on a beautiful campus.

Psychological Research Assistant (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsLots of independence, work schedule was flexible in regards to my summer class schedule, inclusion as co-author on published paper and acknowledgments in many others

ConsWhomever is in charge of the paychecks was must have been really out of it. No direct deposit. No benefits.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Backwards in athletics

Athletics/Coach (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsCompetitive pay and great benefits. Savannah is a great place to live. People are nice on campus.

ConsAthletic department is corrupt and run poorly. There is no loyalty. School in general takes forever to get anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure things are handled more fairly in athletics.

Hard Work, Little Pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsThere are a lot of cool things I got to do that related to writing and creating, getting to know people, and spending time on campus.

ConsThe pay isn't anywhere equal to the work that I put into the job. Armstrong always seems stingy with its money and doesn't really disburse it fairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to freshen up your departments. Some people have been there for years and years, and they are older. Unfortunately, that's not appealing to younger college students. When young students see older adults wandering around campus and telling them to be excited about Armstrong, the students run the other way.

Disappointed

Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsWork schedule, state paid holidays, employee tuition assistance program, promotion of higher learning, and ability to take courses and earn degrees

ConsLack of support from upper management, severe favoritism towards employees, lack of accountability, horrible and outdated processes, lack of empathy and care for students, obsession with quantity-not quality, inappropriate behavior, confidentiality breaches, unethical behavior on all levels, and severe lack of employee and student retention. Employee morale is at an all time low, and lower level salaried/hourly employees have not had a raise in 5 years, but faculty members in the high pay brackets continue to obtain raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your job. Do not pass off your responsibilities on the employees who actually display an above average work ethic - hint: that is why you lose them! Show some accountability and back bone, and reprimand your subordinates who display lackluster job performance, and lackadaisical attitudes. Do your job.

It was rarely productive and did not prepare me for advancement in my chosen major of field.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsThe only reason to work at Armstrong is probably the pay.

ConsBudget cut leading to faculty and staff down sizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to all employees with a fare attitude.

Great place to start...however start networking early!

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

Pros-great community feel and the faculty are a gem. The lower-level staff also make work really fun and exciting.

Cons-not really student focused and could use some work on making students a priority.
    -information tech systems are horrible and really need to be updated

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on students and make training opportunities more available for employees. I would also suggest allowing employees to attend more committee meetings.

Secretary

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfriendly staff
    great location to work at

Conslower pay
    long hours
    organization needs work

Advice to Senior Managementbetter management
    more personal skills

Worked for Armstrong Atlantic State University? Contribute to the Community!