Armstrong Atlantic State University

Updated December 10, 2014
3.2

CEO

Grad assistant

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work environment, good boss

Cons

No upper mobility

Great place to work and go to school!

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Savannah, GA

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Armstrong was a great place to work while obtaining my undergrad in English Communications. I left with valuable experience that helped boost my resume, even had several articles published during my time there. The people I worked with were great and attending school functions for free was a bonus.

Cons

At the time, there were no long term positions open. This is more of a reflection on the state of the GA university system not expanding their budget to allow for new positions or raises for that matter.

Decent place to start

I have been working at Armstrong Atlantic State University full-time

Pros

-It's State job with great and accessible benefits
    -Job security
    -Savannah is a beutiful city
    -Very close to the beach!
    -Safe and secure
    -Most supervisors are understanding with work/life balance

This can be a solid job is you want to stay local in Savannah or a good place to get your start on your career. Just be prepared to deal with some questionable people and tactics, some borderline unethical. If you're patient and have nowhere better to go you're pretty much guaranteed a manager/supervisor/leadership position, but you will have to wait a while. Patience is important. You will have to outlive your supervisor for a promotion.

Cons

Oh dear! Over-management can be a huge problem. Depending on the department and position you can report up to three or four people. Directors come and go and new ones bring along unnecessary changes. Benefits are great but the pay is well under the standard for the same position, you'll be over worked and underpayed. Mostly because every department is understaffed where it really matters and overstaffed were it doesn't. You may be taking on additional classes because there aren't enough instructors.

The way of thinking here is ancient so change and modernization happens at a snail's pace. Lazy and incompetent employees don't get fired (Job Security) and they usually last long enough to get promoted to manager positions where they can do the same bad job but affect a larger area. Good employees last very little. Almost an entire department was purged for not reaching unrealistic expectations with little resources. Too concerned with over-populating the campus with students without the infrastructure to properly teach them. Seems to be all about admission numbers now.

Retire and let more open-minded and skilled leadership take the helm. Give promotions based on merit. Enhance school spirit in the student body and the staff. There is no feeling of school pride at all. Our sports teams are award winning but have embarrassing facilities. Given them the facilities they deserve.

Mediocre

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University

Pros

Great location with a pretty campus. New amenities.

Cons

Poor housing, bad management. Small school with a Napoleon complex. Education is semi; hard for no reason then trying to make a statement. With a degree from here, one should stay in Savannah, as no one has ever heard of it anywhere else. If you are working here, departments vary. But the autonomous "front office" is arrogant and not rules by power.

Listen to your employees, they are the ones who are connected to the environment around them; and the students needs.

So much better than SCAD

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Armstrong Atlantic State University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* Warm faculty, staff, and students
    * Garden-like campus (it is an actual arboretum)
    * Great events and perks for faculty and staff
    * This is where I want my children to come to college
    * Wonderful benefits, including great retirement and good health

Cons

* IT services is understaffed and slow to help
    * Nobody works 40-hour weeks if they are classified
    * Only a handful of raises in the last five years.

Hire fewer administrators for politically correct offices and put more money toward staff and faculty

Great academic research environment on a beautiful campus.

Former Employee - Psychological Research Assistant in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Psychological Research Assistant in Savannah, GA

Pros

Lots of independence, work schedule was flexible in regards to my summer class schedule, inclusion as co-author on published paper and acknowledgments in many others

Cons

Whomever is in charge of the paychecks was must have been really out of it. No direct deposit. No benefits.

Backwards in athletics

Former Employee - Athletics/Coach in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Athletics/Coach in Savannah, GA

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay and great benefits. Savannah is a great place to live. People are nice on campus.

Cons

Athletic department is corrupt and run poorly. There is no loyalty. School in general takes forever to get anything done.

Make sure things are handled more fairly in athletics.

Hard Work, Little Pay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are a lot of cool things I got to do that related to writing and creating, getting to know people, and spending time on campus.

Cons

The pay isn't anywhere equal to the work that I put into the job. Armstrong always seems stingy with its money and doesn't really disburse it fairly.

It's time to freshen up your departments. Some people have been there for years and years, and they are older. Unfortunately, that's not appealing to younger college students. When young students see older adults wandering around campus and telling them to be excited about Armstrong, the students run the other way.

Disappointed

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Armstrong Atlantic State University

Pros

Work schedule, state paid holidays, employee tuition assistance program, promotion of higher learning, and ability to take courses and earn degrees

Cons

Lack of support from upper management, severe favoritism towards employees, lack of accountability, horrible and outdated processes, lack of empathy and care for students, obsession with quantity-not quality, inappropriate behavior, confidentiality breaches, unethical behavior on all levels, and severe lack of employee and student retention. Employee morale is at an all time low, and lower level salaried/hourly employees have not had a raise in 5 years, but faculty members in the high pay brackets continue to obtain raises.

Learn your job. Do not pass off your responsibilities on the employees who actually display an above average work ethic - hint: that is why you lose them! Show some accountability and back bone, and reprimand your subordinates who display lackluster job performance, and lackadaisical attitudes. Do your job.

It was rarely productive and did not prepare me for advancement in my chosen major of field.

I have been working at Armstrong Atlantic State University

Pros

The only reason to work at Armstrong is probably the pay.

Cons

Budget cut leading to faculty and staff down sizing.

Listen to all employees with a fare attitude.