Armstrong Atlantic State University

CEO

Great experience

Former Employee - Student
    Former Employee - Student

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexible experience. You get to explore what direction you want to take your major.

Cons

Low pay, Often requires own initiative.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University

Pros

A great place to work!

Cons

Have to go around lots of red tape

Should be more open-minded

Web Application Programmer

Former Employee - Enterprise Applications Programmer in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Applications Programmer in Savannah, GA

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University

Pros

Very flexible, after 6 months they will cover up to 9 credit hours of tuition to further education, stable, friendly work environment. I typically worked 10-5 with an hour or so lunch break and never turned any heads. My technical advice was taken into account and many of my decisions were adopted. I had hands on experience directing policy and making decisions as a non-management employee.

Overall: A good place to land some experience and decent pay with benefits. After 2-3 years, go someplace else.

Cons

Low compensation and high expectations. The university expects a lot of experience and does not compensate fairly. Many people such as myself take the job for stability, but eventually come across offers often doubling pay with less responsibilities.

The university is a public institution, so expect a lot and I mean A LOT of office politics both within the department and outside. Everything is a bureaucratic mess and slow as with most public institutions.

Two employees left my department, and instead of replacing them I did their work plus mine. I did not mind because this often happens while waiting to replace someone. After 6 months I was still pulling extra weight and putting in more hours. To add to it all I got a job offer that would almost double my salary. I did not want to leave due to Armstrong's stability and when I asked for a raise, my manager said: "We cannot justify a raise to HR without the employee adding more responsibilities, education, or certifications." I have been doing 3 jobs for 6+ months. I interviewed the next day with the other company, accepted a job offer two days later, and gave a one week notice of my departure.

It was okay

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University

Pros

I liked most of the people I worked with. The majority of the students are there to learn and not waste time.

Cons

Promotions are slow-going if you want to move up.

I would implement a better system for having the students reviewing the classes.

Grad assistant

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, good boss

Cons

No upper mobility

If you are not the top administration, you are NO ONE!

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice people generally, but no one is willing to challenge the poor practices of the upper administration.

Cons

No one has any power, ability, or desire to push back against an oppressive and self-serving administration that looks out only for itself, regardless of who gets hurt in the process.

Change your ways and support faculty, staff and students. Listen to those who have been on the campus for more than 3-4 years.

Great place to work and go to school!

Former Contractor - Marketing Assistant in Savannah, GA
    Former Contractor - Marketing Assistant in Savannah, GA

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Armstrong was a great place to work while obtaining my undergrad in English Communications. I left with valuable experience that helped boost my resume, even had several articles published during my time there. The people I worked with were great and attending school functions for free was a bonus.

Cons

At the time, there were no long term positions open. This is more of a reflection on the state of the GA university system not expanding their budget to allow for new positions or raises for that matter.

Decent place to start

I have been working at Armstrong Atlantic State University full-time

Pros

-It's State job with great and accessible benefits
    -Job security
    -Savannah is a beutiful city
    -Very close to the beach!
    -Safe and secure
    -Most supervisors are understanding with work/life balance

This can be a solid job is you want to stay local in Savannah or a good place to get your start on your career. Just be prepared to deal with some questionable people and tactics, some borderline unethical. If you're patient and have nowhere better to go you're pretty much guaranteed a manager/supervisor/leadership position, but you will have to wait a while. Patience is important. You will have to outlive your supervisor for a promotion.

Cons

Oh dear! Over-management can be a huge problem. Depending on the department and position you can report up to three or four people. Directors come and go and new ones bring along unnecessary changes. Benefits are great but the pay is well under the standard for the same position, you'll be over worked and underpayed. Mostly because every department is understaffed where it really matters and overstaffed were it doesn't. You may be taking on additional classes because there aren't enough instructors.

The way of thinking here is ancient so change and modernization happens at a snail's pace. Lazy and incompetent employees don't get fired (Job Security) and they usually last long enough to get promoted to manager positions where they can do the same bad job but affect a larger area. Good employees last very little. Almost an entire department was purged for not reaching unrealistic expectations with little resources. Too concerned with over-populating the campus with students without the infrastructure to properly teach them. Seems to be all about admission numbers now.

Retire and let more open-minded and skilled leadership take the helm. Give promotions based on merit. Enhance school spirit in the student body and the staff. There is no feeling of school pride at all. Our sports teams are award winning but have embarrassing facilities. Given them the facilities they deserve.

Mediocre

I worked at Armstrong Atlantic State University

Pros

Great location with a pretty campus. New amenities.

Cons

Poor housing, bad management. Small school with a Napoleon complex. Education is semi; hard for no reason then trying to make a statement. With a degree from here, one should stay in Savannah, as no one has ever heard of it anywhere else. If you are working here, departments vary. But the autonomous "front office" is arrogant and not rules by power.

Listen to your employees, they are the ones who are connected to the environment around them; and the students needs.

So much better than SCAD

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Armstrong Atlantic State University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

* Warm faculty, staff, and students
    * Garden-like campus (it is an actual arboretum)
    * Great events and perks for faculty and staff
    * This is where I want my children to come to college
    * Wonderful benefits, including great retirement and good health

Cons

* IT services is understaffed and slow to help
    * Nobody works 40-hour weeks if they are classified
    * Only a handful of raises in the last five years.

Hire fewer administrators for politically correct offices and put more money toward staff and faculty