Armstrong Cable

Updated Mar 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jay L Sedwick

It depends on what you expect

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Butler, PA

I worked at Armstrong Cable part-time for more than a year

ProsCasual dress code, free cable and phone if you're a CSR (cable) rep or free internet and phone if you're a TSR (internet/phone) rep, part-time employees do receive some sick and vacation time though none of it is paid, paid in-classroom training, and other jobs within the company are posted internally before outside candidates are selected. There are other perks such as discounts on new GM, Ford, and Chrysler vehicle purchases, and computers purchased thru Dell Direct. Many others too. Good for college grads just starting out who are looking to grow with a company that they can retire from. Many have done just that at Armstrong.

ConsTypical call center operation...24/7, 365 days a year, everyone starts as a part-time employee, and under the Affordable Health Care Act, hours are capped at 27.5 per week. You are told upfront that notwithstanding past experience, starting pay is $10.00/hr, which is low considering what you have to put up with for a part-time job, this includes customers who can be abusive or otherwise unkind towards you. You're also expected to spend no more than five minutes on the phone per call, with no more than a minute afterwards to complete after-call work before taking the next call. You are also scored on the quality of the call, which includes your verbiage, and even your tone of voice.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone starts at the same wage regardless of their experience. Offer better pay to seasoned and experienced workers, and commission TSR's and CSR's to upsell customers if they have the chance to do so. Merge the retention and outbound sales departments to handle both. Offer cash incentives to reps who maintain a constant of five minutes or less per call and a minute or less in wrap up, and overall call score averages contingent on their experience. You have a great deal of very costly turnover and this is the best way to address it. The money you believe you're saving by hiring part-time CSR's is costing you more in the constantly revolving door of CSRs.

Worst job I've ever had was at Armstrong GOC

Cognos Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Armstrong Cable full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunity to take on a lot of responsibilities and learn how to manage high levels of stress.

ConsYou will be paid less than industry standards to do more than average amount of work. If you are a woman or minority, there is zero chance of promotion. There is a minimum required 12% overtime for salaried employees at the corporate office. Hours are not flexible nor negotiable.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are very valid reasons why turnover is so high at the corporate office. You do not treat your employees with respect, there is no defined career path (if any), and salaries and paid time off are significantly below industry standards. I would recommend bringing in an HR consultant to do an independent review of the company. I've always loved the upper management at this company, but the seems to be very little visibility for them past the middle management layer (where I feel many issues exist).

Friendly workplace with advancement opportunities for those who work hard!

Butler, PA

I have been working at Armstrong Cable full-time for more than a year

ProsArmstrong has been recognized year after year for providing award-winning customer service. The fast-growing company remains privately owned by the Sedwick Family in Butler, PA. From my first day in training, it was evident that Armstrong is very proud and passionate about its heritage and reputation. I believe they are a great company to work for and also feel they are well respected by the communities we service.

As a Technical Support Representative, my primary duty is to answering phone calls from residential and commercial customers who need assistance with their high-speed Cable Internet and Digital Telephone services.

New agents will begin their paid training in a classroom setting for approximately three weeks. During this time you learn how to troubleshoot common service issues, use the computers and software, log your calls, and a large amount of emphasis is put into your communication skills.

The company has invested a great amount of time and resources into training and mentoring its agents, which is likely why our quality of service exceeds that of our competitors. There are "help desks" which are online knowledge bases, filled with answers to any question you could think of. And when in doubt, there is a dedicated "Lead Line" of experienced agents and supervisors who are always willing to help you when you get stuck!

Although I chose to dress professionally most of the time, the dress code is very relaxed and almost never enforced. On most days it is totally acceptable to wear jeans and comfortable shoes!

Every agent gets to work in a large, cubicle with a comfortable ergonomic chair. Depending on your shift, many agents do share their cubicle with somebody who works the opposite time of day. I have been fortunate enough to get my own cubicle which is very nice, because I can decorate and make it my own!

Patience is virtue, but hard work clearly pays off! I have been with the company for a little over a year, maintained good attendance, performed my job well and continue to do so in a positive and upbeat demeanor. Starting as a Part-Time agent with few benefits and 30 hrs per week, I was recently promoted to Full-Time status, which lets me enjoy the following perks:

My Full Time Employee Benefits:

- Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Company-Paid 6% Retirement Pension
- 80 hrs of Paid Vacation
- 40 hrs of Paid Sick Time
- Paid Holidays
- Education Assistance (Armstrong will pay for you to go to college!)
- FREE Services, including: Cable television (Every option available), High Speed (Over 50mbps!) Internet, and Telephone services

There are a lot of agents who have worked at Armstrong for many years and have yet to advance or receive full-time status... these are usually the ones you hear from the most when reading online reviews. If you are considering a career with Armstrong, please don't let let their reviews deter you.

If you have a positive attitude and perform your job well, you WILL advance in this company and will do so QUICKLY. In a way, I feel that I am an example of this. Armstrong Group of Companies is a very large enterprise, employing over 2,300 people in numerous industries.

I am confident that wherever my career path leads me, Armstrong will have a position and place for me to meet my full potential.

ConsDealing with the public can be stressful at times, and we tend to remember the small percent of customers who mistreat us compared to those who are kind and appreciate of our support. Maintaining your personal integrity is a MUST sometimes.

The Armstrong Customer Service Center is a 24/7/365 facility, meaning it NEVER closes.The only downside I've experienced is that sometimes you can be drafted to work major holidays if enough people don't volunteer to work them. I can hardly complain though...

Don't worry, even though we're always open, you'll never work before 7AM or after Midnight - there is a separate overnight team that's hired specifically for that shift!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a lot of great employees with very sharp skill sets and a passion for what they do. Armstrong has high standards and expects nothing but the best from its employees, which is why the company is consistently awarded for its outstanding customer service! Accordingly, I feel that the pay-rate for Armstrong's TSR's needs to be more competitive.

A great company to work for as long as you know what to expect and are not afraid of work

I have been working at Armstrong Cable full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay starts at $10.50 and you will get a raise of at least $1.00 a year unless you are a horrible employee. Honestly.

Opportunities for full time and other promotions or position moves within the company such as CSR or TSR Lead Line, CSR, TSR, Quality Assurance, Sales, Customer Relations, NOC or Billing Supervisor, Operations Center, Training, Network Operations Center, Corporate Information Technology, Sales, Billing, Local Office CSR, Cable Installer, etc.

Full Time Employees Receive 2 weeks of paid vacation (3 weeks after 5 years of service), 5 floating holidays and 5 sick days. Also, free Cable TV, Cable Internet and Digital Phone services.

Part time Employees Receive a smaller amount of non-paid sick days and vacation days which can be scheduled. Part Timers will get either free Cable TV or Cable Internet depending in what department they work in.

All employees have the opportunity to work overtime and to take part in the company's 401k and retirement plans.

You can choose to opt out of lunch and go home a half hour earlier or to volunteer to go home early if its hot a busy day. Overtime is almost always available. In some cases, you can earn hours of unpaid time off that can be used to schedule non paid time off rather than vacation. Holiday overtime is always available and depending on your position, even more overtime may be available. That's pretty nice when you look at the fact that many companies are cutting hours, positions and opportunities for employees to make more money.

Every 3 or 4 months, new schedules are bid on. You can work days, mid days or nights. The more seniority you have, the better your chances of getting the shift you want. A very fair system.

If you work hard, work overtime, work holidays, learn on your feet and "man up", you can most certainly get full time, be promoted and have a career. You will never be a millionaire, but you will make decent money and have time off and other great benefits that many in this economy could only dream of.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but you aren't going to come in everyday, have full time, full benefits, a $20 an hour pay rate, free food, be able to have your feet up on the desk and mess with your phone all day or play World of Warcraft or browse Facebook. This is a job.

Co-Workers and management are friendly and the work environment is relaxed and fun, but keep in mind, there is work to be done.

ConsIt can be busy and is not easy all the time. You will have to answer the phone, know how to talk to people, use your brain, learn new skills and deal with many emotions that customers and co-workers throw at you. But, if you're into working and making money, this shouldn't be a big deal.

The busiest days at this call center are nothing compared to the daily work load at other call centers in Pittsburgh for other Telecommunications companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more full time positions quicker, more days off and possibly higher raises yearly. These are things that would go a long way in boosting more and combating turn over rates.

Lead Line Agent

Lead Line (Current Employee)

I have been working at Armstrong Cable full-time for more than 5 years

Proscasual work environment, free services (if in serviceable area), friendly co-workers, good vacation / sick time

Conshard to get Full Time, terrible parking, large queues with limited staff at times, new employees make more than seasoned agents

Advice to Senior Managementbalance the wages for new hires and seasoned agents, give everyone the opportunity to interview that applies, Lead Line Agents should not be in the queues.

Unorganized, unstructured, unknowledgeable, under paid, and lairs from the very start!

Part Time Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Armstrong Cable

ProsPart Time Cable CSR getting all Cable channels, one DVR box, and free phone line. But you must pay for any additional boxes, as well as internet service. Only Full Time Cable CSR's get free internet. (TSR, which are the technical for the internet if part time get free internet and phone but must pay for the cable service, full time TSR get everything free like full time CSR)
Usually casual work environment with clothes, only Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday are Business casual and there are a lot of times when they waive that for a whole month or two in the winter.
Popcorn Fridays
Most customers are really nice to talk with and don't complain too much.
Can put in to go home early and if available get to leave early if approved by workforce. Unpaid of course. Also can swap shifts, put up hours to give away to other employees etc.
Pretty much unlimited overtime if you want it, it is there.
Do try and have fun with the employees and getting freebies from cable networks are extra perks, fun pens, calendars, mouse pads, bonuses at times, etc.

ConsPre-hired you will be told you will be "part-time" working only about 25 hours a week, in training you will be told you will be working more like 30 hours a week, then when you start talking to the reps and get to bid for your shifts, you are pretty much working full time 37.5 with no benefits.
Pre-hired you will be told that CSR's that are part time pretty much move to full time within a few months to a year, but most have been there 3 years or longer before they get offered a full time position unless you are a TSR there seems to always be postings for full time TSR's.
Training is a joke, spend way to much time on training you on billing and like no time training you on the technical side. Spend a lot of time on fluff stuff too. So you go out to the floor not knowing much and go by the rule of fake it till you make it. Have a lead line and half the time would get forwards from them on tech issues from years ago and how to solve it, things never touched on in training. Learn much more on the floor then in training even touches on.
None of the supervisors are on the same page, everyone has different things they like to do and say and how they want you to answer things and note the accounts and what you must have open on your desk etc...all over the board.
No benefits, no paid time off, pretty much working full time, 8 hour day with one 15 minute break and one 30 minute lunch. If you stay late must work an extra 2.5 hours before you get another 15 minute break.
Low Low Low Low pay for what your doing and dealing with. They have been paying the same rate to employees for several years to start, since early 2008 at $9.50/hr to start and bump you to $10.00/hr after 90 days if you are meeting the metrics and performance goals. Taking calls at if I remember right 5:30 minute talk time and adherence and everything in check. They do babysit you on this, come back from break one time a minute late and your report the next day will have that in red. Also you will be give a stop watch to use to make sure you don't go a second over to use.
Shift bids, shift bids shift bids, no rhyme or reason be ready for it to change about every 2 to 3 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer your Part time Employees better pay, benefits, etc then maybe the turnover would not be as high is it is.
Get on the same page for how things should be done, don't have things be different from one team to another.
Base things on performance and not seniority more.
Better training, better resources for employees to use, follow up training.
Less shift bids let schedules stay as they are for longer.

Stable job, relaxed work environment, decent pay and benefits.

ProsFull Time Employee Benefits:

Free Cable TV, Internet and Telephone (except for Pay-Per-View)
Paid time off: 10 vacation days (15 after 7 years) , 5 floating holidays and 5 sick days. These can be scheduled on a per day or per hour basis. You are not forced to use an entire week off at a time.

Decent pay raises: .50 after 120 days and about 1.00 annually up to the $20.00 hourly salary cap.
Relaxed work environment
Casual dress code (not sloppy, business casual)
Paid training and ongoing on the job training
Tuition assistance is available
Multiple discounts Including: % off of Verizon wireless bill and % off of food purchases at Ponderosa Steakhouse.
Choose between daylight or night shifts
Opportunities for voluntary overtime and voluntary holiday overtime
Free parking and a short walk to the building

ConsStress
Repetition
Angry and sometimes abusive customers
Pay not as high as other companies in the Pittsburgh area
Salary cap at around $20.00 per hour hourly
Paid time off not used at the end of the year does not roll over. You use it or lose it.
It can take a long time for an employee to receive full time and benefits, even if they are skilled at their position

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your skilled workers who know technology and are good with your customers with a more competitive pay rate. Raise the bar and the pay rate to attract smart college and technical school graduates. You will bring in more qualified candidates and the employee turnover rate will be lowered. Raise the hourly salary cap and offer incentives to top performers. Offer more full time positions more often. Your employees want to feel like they have a secure future at your company and that they can provide for themselves and their families.

Allow paid time off to roll over to the next year.

Listen to and implement ideas for changes from employees on the front line to help improve both their jobs and the customer experience.

Update the computer systems and software and stop blocking websites! Computers freeze up and we are blocked from a large number of websites on a regular basis when we are trying to help a customer on the phone. It is embarrassing to explain to a customer that our computers are slow and out of date and that I can't try to go to a website because our company has "net nanny" software installed on our computers. It's 2011 and we are running old Dell PC's running Windows XP and using software from the 1980's. There has to be a better and more efficient way to help our customers and ourselves.

Improve communication company-wide. Corporate, local offices, ATC offices and the CSC all seem like we are separate entities. We are one. We need to communicate as such. We can better understand each other and work together to improve things for the customers as well as all ourselves.

Please come down to the Customer Service Center and spend a day shadowing us on a busy day. We know that you listen to calls from away. But please, come here. Spend a day listening to calls, watching the software we use and understanding what it's like to be in our shoes for 8 hours a day. You will see what can be improved and will truly value what great assets you have working for your company. I gained a lot of respect and understanding for our service technicians and installers while doing a ride out with one of them a few years ago. I think you call would feel the same way after sitting with us.

Armstrong is a great company and does alot of things right, but there is some room for improvement that would make things much better for both the customers and the employees. I highly value the fact that you have not outsourced your customer service and technical support jobs overseas. It's great to also see the support that the company gives to local causes.

I would recommend Armstrong service as well as Armstrong as a place of employment to anyone!

As a contractor you WILL be treated as a scap goat for anything they can blame on you.

Cable Installer - Contractor (Former Employee)
Rising Sun, MD

I worked at Armstrong Cable

ProsDoing contract installation work for any cable company requires a self motivator with a level of personal pride in ones workmanship along with a ability to focus on customer satisfaction. Being left alone with minimal to no supervision is a job plus. You are given your work load for the day and as long as your jobs are completed in a timely and professional manner you can work at your own pace without someone standing over your shoulder like a time clock nazi. Going to a dissatified customers home with poor wiring and poor quality of service and having the opportunity to clean up a previous poorly done install and make a eyesore look clean and neat and a customer happy with their service brings no small amount of personal satisfaction and pride in ones workmanship.

ConsYOU ARE NOT APPRECIATED, YOU WILL BE RESENTED BY THE COMPANY, EMPLOYEE'S, AND CUSTOMERS. YOU ARE EXPENDABLE. You will be blamed by the install manager for ALL problems at the service location, to include plant problems or design problems which are beyond the install techs control. In the eyes of the inhouse I.M. its better to blame a contractor than admit to a problem on there end.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou expect contract employees to show the same level of professionalism that your inhouse techs show yet you exclude the contractors from all meetings, training classes, ect. That shows seperation on your part which carries over to the way your techs treat the contractors. Then your suprised when your contractors don't show any company pride or loyalty. Why should they? You have made it perfectly clear that you don't care about them so why should they care about you or your customers?

Meh

I have been working at Armstrong Cable

ProsNo shortage of work or threat of losing job.

ConsThe pay is below market value, and vacation/sick time is a joke. 7 years to get three weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up, a few extra days off would go a long way for employee morale.

Awesome company to work for

I have been working at Armstrong Cable full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat company, great coworkers, great job security

ConsAlways busy, but not really a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementPush employees for even more professional development

Worked for Armstrong Cable? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Armstrong Cable reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Armstrong Cable CEO Jay L Sedwick. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Armstrong Cable employees.