Armstrong World Industries Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Armstrong World Industries President, CEO, and Director Matthew J. (Matt) Espe
Matthew J. (Matt) Espe

Pros
  • The corporate campus is beautiful and provides walking trails and disc golf and an onsite gym (extra fee) to stay healthy (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has no idea what business they are in (in 4 reviews)

• I worked in a manufacturing plant that was getting pretty worn down (in 4 reviews)

1. Director

Former Employee - Director in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for exposure. Leadership approachable, and genuinely cares about your development. Great people at all levels. Never felt like i couldn't talk to anyone in the leadership chain, with out fear of retaliation.

Cons

Senior Executives so intent on financial engineering, not setting up the company for long term success. Also, there seemed to be a lack of willingness to hold middle management accountable in the home office (some worked hard, some worked for themselves). IT systems (Back and Front Office) a mess.

Advice to Management

Get you IT systems and management straightened out.

2. Tread lightly

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company overall. Smart, talented employees and leadership. Considerable opportunities for advancement within the company, though that may change as the flooring and ceilings businesses separate into two distinct companies.

Cons

The company is extremely lean in terms of staffing and resources. Expect to jump right in, live your job and multi-task beyond your wildest dreams.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of engaging employees, particularly your production folks and those in other countries. Be open to women and non-engineers in leadership positions.

Upper Management is Clueless

Former Employee - Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

Paying upper level management big bonuses for not achieving their goals

Cons

Upper management only understands financial engineering. They know how to cut costs, but they do not know how to grow revenue. During my tenure, the company only reduced their costs to make their EBITDA goals. They did not know how to create new products or grow new sources of revenue. Hence, company is in a vicious cycle to expense reduction with no revenue growth.

Advice to Management

Grow revenue and stop paying yourself bonuses in the millions without achieving revenue goals. You are more interested in retention bonus than improving the company. Stop wasting money on new branding and colors or factories in Russia that have no chance of returning their investment.

Management Has to many heads! No room for growth.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Helens, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Helens, OR

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent Pay, but health care takes its share. Production Crews are great people.

Cons

Management has almost no idea what to do. While I worked there I had six different people give me orders and didn't comprehend how to talk with each other first. Management really drags their feet. No one wants to make a decision, because decisions can cost you. So nothing really gets done. Morale is the lowest I have EVER seen anywhere. It wasn't too bad before the previous plant manager left. Everyone is on the chopping block except for the real problem management. Most of managements fault essentially leads back to the plant managers inability to lead. HR is the worst giving out reprimands with very questionable policies. Also the policies can change at a moments notice to side with management. I witnessed this myself on several occasions. Peers would print out the policies, then when meeting with management suddenly they wouldn't have the "Updated Policies". Growth here is completely reliant on word of mouth and not no qualifications. I know someone who has a degree in management has worked in almost every position for over 15 years and can't even get an interview for a management role all because the interviewing manager doesn't like him. When you work here you will notice signs everywhere that promote ethical behavior, candor, values. Management doesn't follow these leads. I met on great team manager while working here and am happy to report he got a better job, so now management has no redeeming value.

Advice to Management

You have driven this plant into the ground. I fear working only two day weeks is a precursor to closing said plant, but go ahead and grow management to an ungodly level. Hire all the engineers you want. Gotta spread out no work to as many as possible.

6. Data Entry Clerk

I worked at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

Great Benefits and very good work environment

Cons

Hot in the summer time!!

Advice to Management

Work more with the needs of the employees to show how much they mean to the company.

People are great to work with, upper management could do better.

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

Pay is good. Small town vibes - people very nice.

Cons

Upper management has no clear direction.

8. A great place to work...

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

I have been an employee with Armstrong for 13 years. During that time, I've been given a lot of opportunities for development and career advancement. Armstrong allowed me to work part-time for 7 years until my kids were in school full time, which has enabled me to enjoy a healthy work/life balance. Now back full time, I still have flexibility with my schedule. Overall, a great place to work....

Cons

It doesn't always seems like we're administering policies consistently within different departments at Armstrong.

Advice to Management

Continually communicate to employees...helps employees feel engaged

9. This company had a friendly H.R.Department

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor

I worked at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

The company had a competative salary for exempt employee's and wage seemed average for floor/ non -exempt workers.

Cons

Health care benefit plan was not as substancial as other companies previous worked for. High turn-over of employee's in salaried and unsalaried positions.Philosophy of upper management at the time seemed to lean toward fire , not train and keep employee's.

Advice to Management

Take time to train the employee's and offer incentives when employee's deserve the benefits .Decrease turn-over of employee's when possible.Train.

10. Established company that provides opportunities for advancement.

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Have worked for this company for 9 years. In that time I've been given a number of opportunities to advance and have been provided with the training and development necessary to do so. Armstrong does a nice job of finding ways to emphasize their employees strengths.

Cons

Being a global company, the ability and willingness to relocate can open a number of doors for your career. However, there are times when the inability to relocate can hinder your advancement opportunities. While this is to be expected, it is something worth noting.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to develop and engage employees.

11. Armstrong is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Armstrong is committed to its employees. There are always initiatives and focus groups and other events going on, all with the intent of making Armstrong the best place it can be. The company is constantly adjusting to meet the needs of its people. Armstrong truly strives to be an organization focused on candor, commitment, inclusion, and integrity. No company is perfect, but Armstrong is aware and working on strengthening themselves where there are weaknesses. I love working here.

Cons

It would be nice if there was a more uniform process for recognition - rewards and such. It's great to be rewarded for going above and beyond, when you know you've worked super hard and pulled off a major event or project. Some departments are great at recognizing their people. Others, not so much. I just wish there was more of a culture of recognition across the board. A small gripe, really. I still love working here. :)

Advice to Management

Be very careful to model what you are expecting others to do. Very few people will do what you *tell* them to do, but just about everyone will do what they see you doing.

RSS Feed </> Embed