Armstrong World Industries

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Armstrong World Industries President, CEO, and Director Matthew J. (Matt) Espe

Matthew J. (Matt) Espe

Great Organization/ Little opportunities for advancement without moving

Field Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFantastic training and great tools geared to help you succeed. My experience is with Field Sales work and the support is there. Generous benefits and steady employment. Management is generally open and welcoming.

ConsMust be a self starter and deal with a sometimes antiquated supply chain. Bonus structure is not good at the mid range. You can feel like a Island to yourself at times with the larger territories and heavy traveling required at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a better path forward for mid-level and entry positions. Focus on Job enrichment if positions are not available.

complete anarchy...too much money with too little direction

Operator (Current Employee)
West Plains, MO

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time for more than 5 years

Prospays pretty well for the area

Consnever know if you will work a full week, day, or even shift

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to employees about their ideas rather than force your own

Burn out.

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee)
New York, NY

ProsAbility to put Fortune 500 Company on resume.

ConsUpper management is in glass bubble....

Advice to Senior ManagementVisit customers.

Great place to work!

Laborer (Former Employee)
Thompsontown, PA

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time for more than a year

ProsBig emphasis on worker safety.

ConsNo free corndogs on Wednesday.

Poor leadership with significant turnover in mid-level management

Senior Research Scientist (Current Employee)
Lancaster, PA

ProsNice campus with well thought out design center/showcase called the "Avenue". The working class had gone through a purge or "right sizing" several years ago, so the only people left are highly skilled and great to work with.

ConsSenior management has no idea what business they are in. They say things in trade magazine interviews that prove they have no idea what they are talking about and they embarrass themselves without knowing it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf quality is number one, why is it not part of the LEAN transformation?

A good place to begin a career, but don't expect to stay long

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA good place to cut your teeth on the fundamentals of manufacturing. They've been around for a long time and know their market, their customers and their business. Good opportunity for hands-on engineering.

ConsVery high turnover rate among engineers. The pay isn't great and there is very little (if any) recognition for a job well done. Expectations are high but available resources low. It's very old tech, so don't expect to deal with any new or cutting edge technologies, equipment or processes. Politics play a major role and managers often put personal feelings about an employee ahead of objective job performance. Senior management/leadership is very old-school and set in their ways. New ideas are not welcome. Challenging their norms or asumptions will get you in hot water fast. Tow their line or get booted out quick.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring internally for senior management and leadership. Look outside; look further and higher. Be open to new ideas and new paths. Don't rely on the 'Old Boys Club' mentality.

Stressful work environment. Lots of lay offs

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time

Prosgood salaries, decent benefits. nice employees. decent offices.

Conspurchased by a private equity firm that is very hands on. Long hours. Lots of reorganization. Lots of people let go. Managers too busy to lead. maybe things will settle down after they rebrand.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't brag about being a manager for over 20 years. Be a leader, not a manager and a bwor beater.

Long standing company in a difficult environment

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time

ProsGlobal company trying to grow around the world, a variety of good products in all divisions and geographies

ConsCompany has been in a long difficult downward slide since the 1990s, endured a tough period in bankruptcy and then potentially being sold post-bankruptcy. Seems like it would be "easy" to fix and grow the company but markets are challenging just about everywhere it does business.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure newer members of management dig in, listen to and value the company for what it has been and is now as a way to help it grow.

No longer what it was. Is very political, weak leadership, and outdated thinking.

IT Architect (Current Employee)
Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPretty campus, although outdated buildings and infrastructure. Pays very well as long as you don't question management's odd decisions.

ConsOutdated thinking by managers that have limited experience outside of Armstrong. Is very difficult for new people to make a difference. New people introducing modern ideas are not made welcome. IT is mostly outsourced to India and horrible service.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new executive level leadership in IT to more quickly modernize management's approach. Would save money faster and would be kinder to the few remaining IT employees so we don't have watch managers learning on the fly current IT practices.

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time

ProsArmstrong provides a very encouraging team atmosphere.

ConsThere was a lot of senior management changes.

Worked for Armstrong World Industries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Armstrong World Industries reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Armstrong World Industries CEO Matthew J. (Matt) Espe. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Armstrong World Industries employees.