Armstrong World Industries

Updated January 27, 2015
2.7

Armstrong World Industries President, CEO, and Director Matthew J. (Matt) Espe
Matthew J. (Matt) Espe

Pros
  • Great people, smart people at project team and plant floor level (in 3 reviews)

• The corporate campus is beautiful and provides walking trails and disc golf and an onsite gym (extra fee) to stay healthy (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has no idea what business they are in (in 4 reviews)

• I worked in a manufacturing plant that was getting pretty worn down (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Established company that provides opportunities for advancement.

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Have worked for this company for 9 years. In that time I've been given a number of opportunities to advance and have been provided with the training and development necessary to do so. Armstrong does a nice job of finding ways to emphasize their employees strengths.

Cons

Being a global company, the ability and willingness to relocate can open a number of doors for your career. However, there are times when the inability to relocate can hinder your advancement opportunities. While this is to be expected, it is something worth noting.

Continue to find ways to develop and engage employees.

Armstrong is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Armstrong is committed to its employees. There are always initiatives and focus groups and other events going on, all with the intent of making Armstrong the best place it can be. The company is constantly adjusting to meet the needs of its people. Armstrong truly strives to be an organization focused on candor, commitment, inclusion, and integrity. No company is perfect, but Armstrong is aware and working on strengthening themselves where there are weaknesses. I love working here.

Cons

It would be nice if there was a more uniform process for recognition - rewards and such. It's great to be rewarded for going above and beyond, when you know you've worked super hard and pulled off a major event or project. Some departments are great at recognizing their people. Others, not so much. I just wish there was more of a culture of recognition across the board. A small gripe, really. I still love working here. :)

Be very careful to model what you are expecting others to do. Very few people will do what you *tell* them to do, but just about everyone will do what they see you doing.

Great Company

I worked at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

As an intern:
    Friendly and willing to guide new team members
    Willing to expose interns beyond the scope of their duties

Cons

All the supervisors were on different pages in what I was supposed to be doing, so my role was not quite defined as I would like.

Worked at the company for 3 years

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

Room for personal growth world wide. I have been in 4 different postions since starting. If you are a worker they will pour the load on you.

Cons

Very top heavy company. It is possible to move around and climb the ladder but you must be willing to relocate.

Find out who is really doing the hard work. We have too many non working managers.

Great Internship, Wouldn't work here

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer

I worked at Armstrong World Industries as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Was given a lot of freedom as an intern, but at the same time the management was not available when needed. It was a great experience for someone new to the field, even if it was the knowledge of what you would not want to do after graduation.

Cons

I worked in a manufacturing plant that was getting pretty worn down. The other people there did not seem to care much about work or performance. no clear progression at the company

Limited Advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company benefits are comparable to other companies in the region. They are generally flexible with your work schedule as well if your role allows for it. Obviously a Customer Service role is a bit more demanding because of the necessity to be on the phone for customers. The corporate campus is beautiful and provides walking trails and disc golf and an onsite gym (extra fee) to stay healthy. Safety is at the forefront for their employees and anyone coming onsite -- they do not take chances. CEO, although he has had to make tough decisions, I believe is ethical and reasonable. IT department is a well oiled machine. Shared Services group is very helpful in answering employees' questions.

Cons

Although the company has a Women's Initiative Network, top management is filled with a less than diverse executive office suite. There are so many politics at work and that's what makes the company a difficult environment to work in. The HR department could use an overhaul. The company had a mentoring program at one time that was formal in nature, but was discontinued a long time ago. Many talented, knowledgeable people ended up being pigeon-holed into job positions. I have seen longtime employees take more than 20 years to get from an entry level position to a supervisor position. Typically what ends up happening is talented, knowledgeable employees are called by headhunters to leave Armstrong for a better career path. Problematic employees tend to move around the company oddly enough.

Develop your mentoring program and career path for employees. Clean up your HR department.

Solid Company--Way too political

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid leader in its markets. Construction related products are relatively less volatile in economic ups and downs.

Cons

Politics, Politics, Politics. In many areas of the company (not all) style is valued over substance which drives horrible politics and cliques. Being a big fish in a small pond really skews people's view of the company--Armstrong tries to act bigger than it really is.

The "organizational vitality" initiative is used as a weapon as often as it is a tool to develop people. Several key operations are clearly understaffed leading to shoddy work and frequent burn-out.

A Downward Spiral...

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time

Pros

The pay is good for the area. Work/Life balance is good with the ability to flex your schedule to meet personal needs.

Cons

Since being bought out by TPG, it is a different company with no respect for individuals below the 3rd tier of management. Employees are under appreciated, creating a toxic environment where many employees are disgruntled. I've heard management say 'Let the Buyer Beware' which is totally against what Armstrong says it stands for. Borderline un-ethical decisions are being made. Management has no problem telling you what they think you want to hear and making zero effort to change/care. They no longer do exit interviews, which says a lot. They don't even want to take the time to put on the charade that they care why people are leaving or how they could improve. Armstrong is looking for company 'yes' men. Do what they say, when they say, and don't ask questions.

Value your employees, they are the company's life blood. Ask yourself why so many are leaving.

Management is a joke

Current Employee - Production Technician in Saint Helens, OR
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Saint Helens, OR

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Schedule, friends, Pay and benefits. Training and sops are easy to follow and study so you do your job well.

Cons

People get away with not following procedurs. New workers do all the work. Old timers are lazy.

Stop patting yourselfs on the back. You dont know what is happening on the floorand will never know your employees because you dont trust us.

Enjoyed my time at Armstrong

Former Employee - IT Analyst II in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - IT Analyst II in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With a large company - was easy to mix with people who had similar skills. flexible hours at times when needed. Salary was very in line with industry

Cons

at times because of the size, it just takes too long to feel like you've acommplished something. at times it could feel like many people were trying to do the same thing (lack of communication and organization)

Armstrong World Industries Photos