Armstrong World Industries Reviews

64 reviews filtered by
3.4
Armstrong World Industries President, CEO, and Director Matthew J. (Matt) Espe
Matthew J. (Matt) Espe

Pros
  • Great people, smart people at project team and plant floor level (in 3 reviews)

• The corporate campus is beautiful and provides walking trails and disc golf and an onsite gym (extra fee) to stay healthy (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has no idea what business they are in (in 4 reviews)

• I worked in a manufacturing plant that was getting pretty worn down (in 4 reviews)

1. Data Entry Clerk

I worked at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

Great Benefits and very good work environment

Cons

Hot in the summer time!!

Work more with the needs of the employees to show how much they mean to the company.

2. People are great to work with, upper management could do better.

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

Pay is good. Small town vibes - people very nice.

Cons

Upper management has no clear direction.

3. A great place to work...

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

I have been an employee with Armstrong for 13 years. During that time, I've been given a lot of opportunities for development and career advancement. Armstrong allowed me to work part-time for 7 years until my kids were in school full time, which has enabled me to enjoy a healthy work/life balance. Now back full time, I still have flexibility with my schedule. Overall, a great place to work....

Cons

It doesn't always seems like we're administering policies consistently within different departments at Armstrong.

Continually communicate to employees...helps employees feel engaged

5. This company had a friendly H.R.Department

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor

I worked at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

The company had a competative salary for exempt employee's and wage seemed average for floor/ non -exempt workers.

Cons

Health care benefit plan was not as substancial as other companies previous worked for. High turn-over of employee's in salaried and unsalaried positions.Philosophy of upper management at the time seemed to lean toward fire , not train and keep employee's.

Take time to train the employee's and offer incentives when employee's deserve the benefits .Decrease turn-over of employee's when possible.Train.

6. Established company that provides opportunities for advancement.

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Have worked for this company for 9 years. In that time I've been given a number of opportunities to advance and have been provided with the training and development necessary to do so. Armstrong does a nice job of finding ways to emphasize their employees strengths.

Cons

Being a global company, the ability and willingness to relocate can open a number of doors for your career. However, there are times when the inability to relocate can hinder your advancement opportunities. While this is to be expected, it is something worth noting.

Continue to find ways to develop and engage employees.

7. Armstrong is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Armstrong is committed to its employees. There are always initiatives and focus groups and other events going on, all with the intent of making Armstrong the best place it can be. The company is constantly adjusting to meet the needs of its people. Armstrong truly strives to be an organization focused on candor, commitment, inclusion, and integrity. No company is perfect, but Armstrong is aware and working on strengthening themselves where there are weaknesses. I love working here.

Cons

It would be nice if there was a more uniform process for recognition - rewards and such. It's great to be rewarded for going above and beyond, when you know you've worked super hard and pulled off a major event or project. Some departments are great at recognizing their people. Others, not so much. I just wish there was more of a culture of recognition across the board. A small gripe, really. I still love working here. :)

Be very careful to model what you are expecting others to do. Very few people will do what you *tell* them to do, but just about everyone will do what they see you doing.

8. Great Company

I worked at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

As an intern:
    Friendly and willing to guide new team members
    Willing to expose interns beyond the scope of their duties

Cons

All the supervisors were on different pages in what I was supposed to be doing, so my role was not quite defined as I would like.

9. Worked at the company for 3 years

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

Room for personal growth world wide. I have been in 4 different postions since starting. If you are a worker they will pour the load on you.

Cons

Very top heavy company. It is possible to move around and climb the ladder but you must be willing to relocate.

Find out who is really doing the hard work. We have too many non working managers.

10. Great Internship, Wouldn't work here

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineer
    Former Intern - Mechanical Engineer

I worked at Armstrong World Industries as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Was given a lot of freedom as an intern, but at the same time the management was not available when needed. It was a great experience for someone new to the field, even if it was the knowledge of what you would not want to do after graduation.

Cons

I worked in a manufacturing plant that was getting pretty worn down. The other people there did not seem to care much about work or performance. no clear progression at the company

11. Limited Advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Armstrong World Industries full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company benefits are comparable to other companies in the region. They are generally flexible with your work schedule as well if your role allows for it. Obviously a Customer Service role is a bit more demanding because of the necessity to be on the phone for customers. The corporate campus is beautiful and provides walking trails and disc golf and an onsite gym (extra fee) to stay healthy. Safety is at the forefront for their employees and anyone coming onsite -- they do not take chances. CEO, although he has had to make tough decisions, I believe is ethical and reasonable. IT department is a well oiled machine. Shared Services group is very helpful in answering employees' questions.

Cons

Although the company has a Women's Initiative Network, top management is filled with a less than diverse executive office suite. There are so many politics at work and that's what makes the company a difficult environment to work in. The HR department could use an overhaul. The company had a mentoring program at one time that was formal in nature, but was discontinued a long time ago. Many talented, knowledgeable people ended up being pigeon-holed into job positions. I have seen longtime employees take more than 20 years to get from an entry level position to a supervisor position. Typically what ends up happening is talented, knowledgeable employees are called by headhunters to leave Armstrong for a better career path. Problematic employees tend to move around the company oddly enough.

Develop your mentoring program and career path for employees. Clean up your HR department.

Armstrong World Industries Photos