Armstrong World Industries

Great Tradition - but it is changing

Former Employee - EMarketing Manager  in  Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - EMarketing Manager in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

I left right before the CEO and CIO left due to a change on the Board from an investment company so take it with that in mind. The company was very focused on quality - working conditions, processes, and approaches. It was at times very innovative. The IT and Marketing teams worked well together. There were many opportunities to be recognized and to access senior executives.

Cons

Some thinking in the digital space was antiquated and needed to be shown and told over and over. They are much better now I understand. The Lancaster location made recruiting top talent a bit difficult.

Listen to those hwo have bene around for a hwile in the industry. Cost cutting is a good thing but cutting too deep makes your investment in gold turn to bronze.

Good experiences with some things we did'nt agree on

Current Employee - Labor Jack of All Trades Master of None  in  Marietta, PA
    Current Employee - Labor Jack of All Trades Master of None in Marietta, PA

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

the money an t the people you work with are you best assesset are the best

Cons

the more you do the less they apresheate what you do. they tell you how to do your job and they can;t do the job then selfs

Go down in the plant and do the jobs that the people do in the 103 degree temp in the summer and then tell the people you need more production. While you sit up in the air condition offices.

good

Current Employee - Distribution Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Distribution Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

good pay, benifits are good too

Cons

they don't promote from within

promote your good people, and pay better

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Sure

Former Employee - Secretary  in  Oneida, TN
    Former Employee - Secretary in Oneida, TN

I worked at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

Family atmosphere
    Flexible time off
    Good Benefits

Cons

Uncertainty of future job market

Enjoy my job

Good people at the operations level

Former Employee - Division Controller  in  Oneida, TN
    Former Employee - Division Controller in Oneida, TN

I worked at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

Pay was better than average

Cons

Beat you up for no reason

listen and respect the people on the front line of mfg

Good co-workers, but Senior Management needs to get a clue about motivation

Current Employee - Manager  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

If you apply yourself, there are opportunities to grow beyond your current responsibilites or career path. Most people here are good people that are helpful and pleasant to work with.

Cons

Lack of direction from senior management

Need to communicate the strategic goals for the business

Armstrong is a good place to gain experience.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

The best reason to work for Armstrong, especially if you have recently graduated from college, is that they are more than willing to hire recent college graduates. It is a great experience and resume builder. This company gets young employees as involved as the employee is willing to allow. Armstrong values knowledge and will invest in the employees to make sure they have the best training and skills needed to succeed. Another benefit is that Armstrong is a very successful company and has remained fairly stable (even through a period of bankruptcy caused by asbestos litigations). I believe that this company will be around for quite some time.

Cons

A downside of working at Armstrong is the fact that the manufacturing facilities are unionized. This can create somewhat of a hostile environment, and can hinder the company's ability to improve at a fast rate.

The only advice I can give to Senior Management is to value the opinions of their employees.

Stay away from this Company at all costs! If you get an offer, remember - they will hire anyone who is breathing.

Current Employee - Manager -  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Manager - in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

It's pretty easy work. In general the expectations are low and there's lots of opportunities to not work really hard. I can schedule a trip just about anywhere and no one really cares. I get lots of frequent flyer miles and the expectations are pretty low. It's hard to imagine leaving and actually having to work for a living.

Cons

Pay is just average and the upper management is always looking to cut benefits. They eliminated the pension several years ago and the health benefits are terrible. Hope you don't get any real dental problems, since the insurance they provide (you pay $15/month too) sucks. Upper management is pretty stupid and loves the six sigma BS. A former GM guy is at the helm and he is a real idiot. He's hated by most people and we are amazed he can still hold a position.

Treat the salaried people with respect and maybe we could work a little harder and put up some good results. Stop cutting our benefits and giving the farm away to the hourly people. Fire all the HR people and hire some HR professionals, not just up through the ranks IEs.

A great company to work for with good opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Saint Helens, OR
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Saint Helens, OR

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

As a project engineer in a smaller plant setting, I am exposed all our manufacturing business units. This gives a broad range of experiences - - - no two projects are the same - - - this keeps me going! Also there are opportunities to get involved in other roles for safety improvement/leadership, facilitating a plant module or mentoring less experienced engineers - - - involvement in these roles gives both a sense of responsibility and accomplishment. These, in my opinion, are essential fuels to keep one busy, give you an opportunity to make other people's jobs easier/safer and a chance to test your abilities.

Cons

The projects cover a broad variety of disciplines and areas, but not so much depth. Also, by virtue of the nature of the business, the projects are not 'high tech' - - - automation projects involve some nifty equipment nonetheless. Even though most people prefer to 'abandon' the books after leaving school, I like projects that challenge me to go back to the books to solve an intricate engineering problem. Meanwhile this happens sometimes, I would prefer it did a little more often - - - Generally, with more experience, the projects equally increase in complexity but are limited in depth.

With due moderation, avoid undermining maintenance's opinions

Accurate

Current Employee - Maintance  in  Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Maintance in Macon, GA

I have been working at Armstrong World Industries

Pros

Union---Vacations---Medical Insurance--Dental Insurance--11 Paid Holidays--Good Pensions--401K

Cons

I can't think of any downsides to working for Armstrong except that they don't hire quality workers. The best qualified don'y always get hired

Hire quality people

Worked for Armstrong World Industries? Contribute to the Community!