Army and Air Force Exchange

Army and Air Force Exchange Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Army and Air Force Exchange CEO & Director Thomas C. Shull

Thomas C. Shull

Pros
  • Great benefits package with vacation days carrying over from year to year(in 11 reviews)

• There are lots of opportunites to advance with in AAFES and you can have a long term career with them with good benefits(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Hire a lot of part-time employees because some bases are not busy year round(in 12 reviews)

• I believe if full time positions were more readily available there would not be such a hiugh turnover rate(in 8 reviews)

Mangers, Do more with less! When you do, you do not recieve any recognition. If you dont, YOU ARE IN THE HOT SEAT.

Food Concept Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat Mission statement and vision.

ConsWorking as a food manager I noticed the company does not allow us to follow mission statement and vision by accomidating our customers (Miltary). LP is bored and causes a lot of stress that affects workers to accomidate customers needs. GM usally usaully came up from retail which is totally different from food with zero experience in food and a lot of times their expectation are CRAZY! I work in a food court and have to pay overhead but recieve absolutely no help from my food court manger but yet I have to pay him 4% a month.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstruct Food court manager to help all facilities. Have executives work in a food facility for a week to see the challenges we face day to day. Enforce recognition. I am currently −21% in sales YTD but since being transferred this facility (4 months ago) I have contribituted 2% YTD dollars more on the bottom line vs last year. I have work for this company 6 years consistenly delivering successful numbers and havent recieved any rewards for any. Please leadership change that!

Challenging but rewarding

ProsOpportunities for advancement if you have a degree

ConsVery political and no opportunities to come out of the field to HQ

Advice to Senior ManagementLook past your friends for additional talent

AAFES Management Sucks!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Newport News, VA

Prosdevelop close relationships with co-workers, benefits aren't too bad

ConsMANAGEMENT!!! Every situation that occurs the associate has to help themselves. If you're not in the "clique" watch out!! Information is avaialable but not provided. Underlined "racism" when it's promotion time. Don't even look for awards or recongination; you get damn near kill yourself before that happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut them all and start over again!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sobering

ProsThe employees are great, we all pull together to get the job done. The pay can be better than similar jobs found outside the base, if you last that long.

ConsMinimal staffing and a General Manager that only cares about being promoted at the expense of the store, it's employees and our customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees because they know what is going on in the store on a daily basis.

Good government experience

ProsPension benefit is nice. Health benefits are ok

ConsArchaic systems, but maybe it's just me

Okay for mil spouses I guess.

Hardlines, Cashier (Former Employee) Cannon AFB, NM

ProsAAFES was awesome for me at the time. I was a young military spouse in school and stuck in the middle of nowhere. They didn't pay the greatest because of some federal restrictions that make it so they can't compete with civilian stores like Walmart. It really wasn't too bad of a place to work I guess. I was good at the job, not that it required much skill. I was fantastic at selling electronics :P Cashiering isn't overly complicated. The stores aren't usually too massive. They can help you get a job if you PCS to another base. I worked with some awesome people who had similar experiences as me, a military brat and now spouse. Sometimes in civilian jobs, other people don't "get" your struggles and it's frustrating.

ConsThey did this shifty thing with everyone who was hired at the same time as me. We weren't "permanent" employees, even after months. They didn't have to give us benefits or anything :/ Even though my manager was a lazy POS, he was still "totally loved" by the important people in charge of all the facilities. I never could get time off because I wasn't a permanent employee and was new. I worked my butt off and always came in on days off, stayed late, came in early, etc. and instead of being recognized for my hard work, was told I wasn't supposed to work overtime. Um, tell the managers to call someone else then!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing favorites. You have had some awesome hourly employees and the shift leads/assistant managers take credit for everything.

Does great things for soldiers but not my favorite job

Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsPromotional possibilities within the company, especially with a degree. Opportunities to travel/relocate to other places or be "deployed" with the soldiers. Good at re-hiring seasonal staff. It felt good to be a part of a company that gave back to the troops. AAFES gives money to the military for MWR (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation) Progams.

ConsPretty low salary starting. Hire a lot of part-time employees because some bases are not busy year round. Even if you're a rehire/seasonal summer staff you have to go through new employee training ever year. This seems redundant and unnecessary. Also, at least where I worked, they had you work shorter (like 4-6hr) shifts and then had you work 6 days a week. This was frustrating because you couldn't really plan anything or take time off. They didn't hire enough employees for you to request time off and get it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more employees so your employees can take a few days off.

Horrible place to work

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsEasy job to get for a military spouse because they always have openings because of a high turn around rate.

ConsIn my experience they do not treat their employees very well.

Good Benefits...Salary ok...Rewarding mission

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe health benefits and the time off policy is really good compared to many other companies. Working to support our troops is a very rewarding job.

ConsThe main drawback is the salary is okay but less than you can get on the outside. The worst part is the promotion policies. You get promoted but have no negotiation in your salary increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter promotion policies. Make people working there feel more appreciated. Someone coming from the outside shouldn't come in making more money than someone currently working hard for the company.

Great Opportunity

Store Manager (Former Employee) Battle Creek, MI

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Opportunity to further your education and travel the world.

ConsWhen hiring from outside the company there's not much training. They send you to training classes but everyone else there has been with the company for yrs so you have no idea what they are talking about. Instructors gloss over things in training assuming everyone already knows it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up a training program strictly for your succession training. This will set people up to be successful rather than stressed out messes because they are running stores without the proper knowledge.

Worked for Army and Air Force Exchange? Contribute to the Community!