Army and Air Force Exchange

Army and Air Force Exchange Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Army and Air Force Exchange CEO & Director Thomas C. Shull

Thomas C. Shull

Pros:
  • "Great benefits package with vacation days carrying over from year to year"
    in 10 reviews
  • "There are lots of opportunites to advance with in AAFES and you can have a long term career with them with good benefits"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Hire a lot of part-time employees because some bases are not busy year round"
    in 12 reviews
  • "I believe if full time positions were more readily available there would not be such a hiugh turnover rate"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

a Good Experience to Start

Food Service Worker (Current Employee)
    Evans Mills, NY

ProsGood people, Good Boss, 50% off meals at the food court for employees

ConsLow pay, didn't give me enough hours

Advice to Senior ManagementGive opportunity to move forward

unfair scheduling practice

Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Fort Hood, TX

Prosmeeting different cultured customers and the soldiers

Conswhats good for one employee should be good for all employees. example of schedule 1 cant work nights at all and get to work days constantly. If someone else needs to work day shift for a short time period you get harrased and told you are to be avail for all shifts. Management needs to quit showing favortism,

Advice to Senior ManagementStart showing respect where the respect belongs not to your ICA's, SAM's or yourselves. Your parttime and temp employees are the ones doing the job to make your stores look perfect no one else.

Good Benefits...Salary ok...Rewarding mission

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThe health benefits and the time off policy is really good compared to many other companies. Working to support our troops is a very rewarding job.

ConsThe main drawback is the salary is okay but less than you can get on the outside. The worst part is the promotion policies. You get promoted but have no negotiation in your salary increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter promotion policies. Make people working there feel more appreciated. Someone coming from the outside shouldn't come in making more money than someone currently working hard for the company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Opportunity

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Battle Creek, MI

ProsGreat pay and benefits. Opportunity to further your education and travel the world.

ConsWhen hiring from outside the company there's not much training. They send you to training classes but everyone else there has been with the company for yrs so you have no idea what they are talking about. Instructors gloss over things in training assuming everyone already knows it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet up a training program strictly for your succession training. This will set people up to be successful rather than stressed out messes because they are running stores without the proper knowledge.

Best company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Fort Stewart, GA

ProsAAFES values and support of military personnel is like no other. Because of this they also make sure to take care of their employees. The benefits that the Exchange offer cannot be compared to any other retail organization. The company believes in promoting from within and the opportunities there a limitless.

ConsOnly challenge is that for some positions pay is not as competitive as it should.

Okay for mil spouses I guess.

Hardlines, Cashier (Former Employee)
    Cannon AFB, NM

ProsAAFES was awesome for me at the time. I was a young military spouse in school and stuck in the middle of nowhere. They didn't pay the greatest because of some federal restrictions that make it so they can't compete with civilian stores like Walmart. It really wasn't too bad of a place to work I guess. I was good at the job, not that it required much skill. I was fantastic at selling electronics :P Cashiering isn't overly complicated. The stores aren't usually too massive. They can help you get a job if you PCS to another base. I worked with some awesome people who had similar experiences as me, a military brat and now spouse. Sometimes in civilian jobs, other people don't "get" your struggles and it's frustrating.

ConsThey did this shifty thing with everyone who was hired at the same time as me. We weren't "permanent" employees, even after months. They didn't have to give us benefits or anything :/ Even though my manager was a lazy POS, he was still "totally loved" by the important people in charge of all the facilities. I never could get time off because I wasn't a permanent employee and was new. I worked my butt off and always came in on days off, stayed late, came in early, etc. and instead of being recognized for my hard work, was told I wasn't supposed to work overtime. Um, tell the managers to call someone else then!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing favorites. You have had some awesome hourly employees and the shift leads/assistant managers take credit for everything.

Does great things for soldiers but not my favorite job

Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsPromotional possibilities within the company, especially with a degree. Opportunities to travel/relocate to other places or be "deployed" with the soldiers. Good at re-hiring seasonal staff. It felt good to be a part of a company that gave back to the troops. AAFES gives money to the military for MWR (Morale, Welfare, and Recreation) Progams.

ConsPretty low salary starting. Hire a lot of part-time employees because some bases are not busy year round. Even if you're a rehire/seasonal summer staff you have to go through new employee training ever year. This seems redundant and unnecessary. Also, at least where I worked, they had you work shorter (like 4-6hr) shifts and then had you work 6 days a week. This was frustrating because you couldn't really plan anything or take time off. They didn't hire enough employees for you to request time off and get it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more employees so your employees can take a few days off.

Horrible place to work

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsEasy job to get for a military spouse because they always have openings because of a high turn around rate.

ConsIn my experience they do not treat their employees very well.

AAFES

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Fort Irwin, CA

ProsThere were many pros to working for this company. One being the many different people you can interact with from all over the world.

ConsNot everything is always as it seems.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention

Boring and bureaucratic, but decent

Web Developer and Designer (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsVery good pay, lots of opportunities, good stability, great hours. The headquarters is nice and large with a cafeteria and other perks. Good team cohesiveness and support. (however this leads to different departments being "competitive" and jealous of one another). Hard to get fired as long as you show up. This is both good and bad.

ConsGovernment bureaucracy abounds, but that's to be expected. Can't start anything without filling out forms and getting approval from 18 people. Some departments can be boy's clubs. HQ building is so dreary with cubicle farms, needs a better environment. SO many people at HQ that there are some sexually harassing pervs that crop up occasionally, nothing major though.

Worked for Army and Air Force Exchange? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Army and Air Force Exchange reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Army and Air Force Exchange CEO Thomas C. Shull. All 181 reviews posted anonymously by Army and Air Force Exchange employees.