Army and Air Force Exchange

Updated February 25, 2015
3.4

Army and Air Force Exchange CEO & Director Thomas C. Shull
Thomas C. Shull

Pros
  • Great benefits package with vacation days carrying over from year to year (in 12 reviews)

• Decent pay for retail & good benefits for even part timers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Hire a lot of part-time employees because some bases are not busy year round (in 15 reviews)

• Very low pay and not good benefits compare to your counter parts in the really world (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

43 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Recently retired after 30 years, great company to have worked for.

Current Employee - Retail Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange

Pros

Decent salary, lots of promotional opportunities.

Cons

Disconcerting upper management, lack of training in some areas.

Be flexible and improve your job knowledge to make you a company asset.

The mission is honorable and very much worth being part of the team!

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's an honor to serve those who serve, which was my favorite part of being employed by AAFES. I worked in IT. When I started, I had an awesome manager, who challenged me and listened to me and who totally understood the technical domain of IT.

Cons

It was unfortunate when eventually the team who managed me was more concerned with my pushing my chair to my desk when I wasn't there, than they were with goals and quality of software produced. It seemed to be about politics at that point.

Put the right people in the right places. Do the right thing. Remember that IT is 24x7 and that perhaps enforcing rigid hours is not always appropriate to optimal IT performance and engagement.

"Stepping Stone"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange

Pros

Most coworkers are very pleasant. Not so strict on calling in (depending on your manager) they just deduct it from your accrued time. Relaxed dress code. Good training support team and QA. Super easy job once you get the swing of things.

Cons

Working for the military it's really hard to get day shift hours M-F since the billing department is 24-7. I worked Thur-Mon shift 11AM-8PM for 2 years and it sucked every bit. And of course my off days were (Tuesday and Wednesday) the slowest call volume days of the week. Lucky me! I missed so much family time and special events. On military payday (1st and 15th) I would average about 120 calls a day and then they would go down to between 70-100 calls on slower days. Very tedious mainly calls to make payments. So like I said this is a stepping stone kind of job. Oh and its kind of difficult to get promoted out of the call center. Their idea of a promotion is escalated calls (team lead) or the collections department...even worse!

Bring the catalog department back, so tired of the complaints.

Marketing and Public Affairs intern. Created press releases for internal and national affairs to media publications.

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great corporate experience working with military and CEO leadership. Learned how to create ideas to professionally market, while being mentored by a supervisor.

Cons

Some of the management seemed a little disgruntled at times, and would voice it publicly to interns.

N/A

Decent company to work for

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked there for 14 years

Cons

I was caught up in the company downsizing

Successful despite themselves

Former Employee - IT Professional in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and job security

Cons

Training only offered to associates unqualified for their jobs or with the time to attend them. Tuition reimbursement is only offered to very few with many loop holes, does not include books and is capped at 20 thousand - it is run more like scholarship program. Work life balance is not a privilege extended to most. The pay scales will allow for them to pay unknowing new hires and long time employees anywhere from 10 to 20 grand less (a year) than lateral associates with no more responsibility, training, or experience. The performance based raises are subject to the rating of a top heavy, unqualified middle management. People are constantly promoted because 'they've been passed up many times before', not at all because they'd qualify for those jobs hiring off the street.

Treat people fair and learn something about the job area you are managing. Take accountability for your weaknesses and grow from them.

Ok for Govt Job.

Current Employee - Applications Developer in DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in DFW, TX

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is stable company, low turn over, low stress. Great work life balance and benefits as it is a government job.

Cons

Low pay, slow movement promotion. If the government has a freeze in movement you are stuck until its lifted.

Mangers, Do more with less! When you do, you do not recieve any recognition. If you dont, YOU ARE IN THE HOT SEAT.

Current Employee - Food Concept Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Food Concept Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Mission statement and vision.

Cons

Working as a food manager I noticed the company does not allow us to follow mission statement and vision by accomidating our customers (Miltary). LP is bored and causes a lot of stress that affects workers to accomidate customers needs. GM usally usaully came up from retail which is totally different from food with zero experience in food and a lot of times their expectation are CRAZY! I work in a food court and have to pay overhead but recieve absolutely no help from my food court manger but yet I have to pay him 4% a month.

Instruct Food court manager to help all facilities. Have executives work in a food facility for a week to see the challenges we face day to day. Enforce recognition. I am currently −21% in sales YTD but since being transferred this facility (4 months ago) I have contribituted 2% YTD dollars more on the bottom line vs last year. I have work for this company 6 years consistenly delivering successful numbers and havent recieved any rewards for any. Please leadership change that!

Boring and bureaucratic, but decent

Former Employee - Web Developer and Designer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Web Developer and Designer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very good pay, lots of opportunities, good stability, great hours. The headquarters is nice and large with a cafeteria and other perks. Good team cohesiveness and support. (however this leads to different departments being "competitive" and jealous of one another). Hard to get fired as long as you show up. This is both good and bad.

Cons

Government bureaucracy abounds, but that's to be expected. Can't start anything without filling out forms and getting approval from 18 people. Some departments can be boy's clubs. HQ building is so dreary with cubicle farms, needs a better environment. SO many people at HQ that there are some sexually harassing pervs that crop up occasionally, nothing major though.

Wonderful Mission, Terrible Morale

Former Employee - Business Analyst I (S) in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst I (S) in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Knowing that we set out to complete a noble mission and provide a necessary service to our troops & their families.
    Meeting a few people you can trust, that make you feel like family.

Cons

Way too much unprofessionalism, lack of accountability, the lazier you are the more likely you get promoted so your manager doesn't have to deal with you!

Find a way to weed out the dead weight -- 1 or 2 people can't carry a whole department on their backs!

Army and Air Force Exchange Photos