Army and Air Force Exchange

Updated August 6, 2014
2.9

Army and Air Force Exchange CEO & Director Thomas C. Shull
Thomas C. Shull

Pros
  • Great benefits package with vacation days carrying over from year to year (in 11 reviews)

• There are lots of opportunites to advance with in AAFES and you can have a long term career with them with good benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Hire a lot of part-time employees because some bases are not busy year round (in 12 reviews)

• I believe if full time positions were more readily available there would not be such a hiugh turnover rate (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent company to work for

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Worked there for 14 years

Cons

I was caught up in the company downsizing

Successful despite themselves

Former Employee - IT Professional  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent benefits and job security

Cons

Training only offered to associates unqualified for their jobs or with the time to attend them. Tuition reimbursement is only offered to very few with many loop holes, does not include books and is capped at 20 thousand - it is run more like scholarship program. Work life balance is not a privilege extended to most. The pay scales will allow for them to pay unknowing new hires and long time employees anywhere from 10 to 20 grand less (a year) than lateral associates with no more responsibility, training, or experience. The performance based raises are subject to the rating of a top heavy, unqualified middle management. People are constantly promoted because 'they've been passed up many times before', not at all because they'd qualify for those jobs hiring off the street.

Treat people fair and learn something about the job area you are managing. Take accountability for your weaknesses and grow from them.

Ok for Govt Job.

Current Employee - Applications Developer  in  DFW, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in DFW, TX

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is stable company, low turn over, low stress. Great work life balance and benefits as it is a government job.

Cons

Low pay, slow movement promotion. If the government has a freeze in movement you are stuck until its lifted.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mangers, Do more with less! When you do, you do not recieve any recognition. If you dont, YOU ARE IN THE HOT SEAT.

Current Employee - Food Concept Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Food Concept Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Mission statement and vision.

Cons

Working as a food manager I noticed the company does not allow us to follow mission statement and vision by accomidating our customers (Miltary). LP is bored and causes a lot of stress that affects workers to accomidate customers needs. GM usally usaully came up from retail which is totally different from food with zero experience in food and a lot of times their expectation are CRAZY! I work in a food court and have to pay overhead but recieve absolutely no help from my food court manger but yet I have to pay him 4% a month.

Instruct Food court manager to help all facilities. Have executives work in a food facility for a week to see the challenges we face day to day. Enforce recognition. I am currently −21% in sales YTD but since being transferred this facility (4 months ago) I have contribituted 2% YTD dollars more on the bottom line vs last year. I have work for this company 6 years consistenly delivering successful numbers and havent recieved any rewards for any. Please leadership change that!

Boring and bureaucratic, but decent

Former Employee - Web Developer and Designer  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Web Developer and Designer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good pay, lots of opportunities, good stability, great hours. The headquarters is nice and large with a cafeteria and other perks. Good team cohesiveness and support. (however this leads to different departments being "competitive" and jealous of one another). Hard to get fired as long as you show up. This is both good and bad.

Cons

Government bureaucracy abounds, but that's to be expected. Can't start anything without filling out forms and getting approval from 18 people. Some departments can be boy's clubs. HQ building is so dreary with cubicle farms, needs a better environment. SO many people at HQ that there are some sexually harassing pervs that crop up occasionally, nothing major though.

Wonderful Mission, Terrible Morale

Former Employee - Business Analyst I (S)  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst I (S) in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Knowing that we set out to complete a noble mission and provide a necessary service to our troops & their families.
    Meeting a few people you can trust, that make you feel like family.

Cons

Way too much unprofessionalism, lack of accountability, the lazier you are the more likely you get promoted so your manager doesn't have to deal with you!

Find a way to weed out the dead weight -- 1 or 2 people can't carry a whole department on their backs!

Hated this place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time

Pros

Only pros if you know someone with influence

Cons

AAFES HQ in Dallas is a joke. On the outside it looks like a great company to work for. But once employed, you realize most people aren't qualified for their position. The only way you move up is if you know someone. Most management doesn't know how to "manage", they just sit back and collect a check.

Learn how to listen, manage and perhaps read.

Company is under a monarchy - one person has too much power.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time

Pros

Good sick leave and vacation. Flexible hours. Good benefits.

Cons

Next to no room for advancement - - You can do the same job for a long time. Speaking up gets you labeled as a troublemaker.

Quit making knee jerk decisions

IT Architect

Former Employee - IT Security Architect  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Security Architect in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

General Hendricks and John Solane

Cons

Change was not well accepted nor rewarded!

Allow change to happen!

Provided a nice career.

Current Employee - Purchasing Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Purchasing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The Army and Air Force Exchange Service offered job security, rewarding work, challenging work, great benefits, an opportunity to travel, and a variety of paths for advancement.

Cons

The Exchange is going through a difficult transition. It is a small retailer with a big mission. Its market is shrinking with the draw down of the military. The Exchange is a federal government entity so it has a fair amount of bureaucracy (although more leeway than other government organizations). New hires don't have the same benefits as current employees. The organization is currently downsizing through early retirement offers.

Decisions are sometimes made without considering the impact on operations.

Worked for Army and Air Force Exchange? Contribute to the Community!