Army and Air Force Exchange

Army and Air Force Exchange Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

Updated May 29, 2014

Army and Air Force Exchange CEO & Director Thomas C. Shull

Thomas C. Shull

Pros
  • Great benefits package with vacation days carrying over from year to year(in 11 reviews)

• There are lots of opportunites to advance with in AAFES and you can have a long term career with them with good benefits(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Hire a lot of part-time employees because some bases are not busy year round(in 12 reviews)

• I believe if full time positions were more readily available there would not be such a hiugh turnover rate(in 8 reviews)

37 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Boring and bureaucratic, but decent

Web Developer and Designer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsVery good pay, lots of opportunities, good stability, great hours. The headquarters is nice and large with a cafeteria and other perks. Good team cohesiveness and support. (however this leads to different departments being "competitive" and jealous of one another). Hard to get fired as long as you show up. This is both good and bad.

ConsGovernment bureaucracy abounds, but that's to be expected. Can't start anything without filling out forms and getting approval from 18 people. Some departments can be boy's clubs. HQ building is so dreary with cubicle farms, needs a better environment. SO many people at HQ that there are some sexually harassing pervs that crop up occasionally, nothing major though.

Ok for Govt Job.

Applications Developer (Current Employee) DFW, TX

ProsThis is stable company, low turn over, low stress. Great work life balance and benefits as it is a government job.

ConsLow pay, slow movement promotion. If the government has a freeze in movement you are stuck until its lifted.

Mangers, Do more with less! When you do, you do not recieve any recognition. If you dont, YOU ARE IN THE HOT SEAT.

Food Concept Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat Mission statement and vision.

ConsWorking as a food manager I noticed the company does not allow us to follow mission statement and vision by accomidating our customers (Miltary). LP is bored and causes a lot of stress that affects workers to accomidate customers needs. GM usally usaully came up from retail which is totally different from food with zero experience in food and a lot of times their expectation are CRAZY! I work in a food court and have to pay overhead but recieve absolutely no help from my food court manger but yet I have to pay him 4% a month.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstruct Food court manager to help all facilities. Have executives work in a food facility for a week to see the challenges we face day to day. Enforce recognition. I am currently −21% in sales YTD but since being transferred this facility (4 months ago) I have contribituted 2% YTD dollars more on the bottom line vs last year. I have work for this company 6 years consistenly delivering successful numbers and havent recieved any rewards for any. Please leadership change that!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful Mission, Terrible Morale

Business Analyst I (S) (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsKnowing that we set out to complete a noble mission and provide a necessary service to our troops & their families.
    Meeting a few people you can trust, that make you feel like family.

ConsWay too much unprofessionalism, lack of accountability, the lazier you are the more likely you get promoted so your manager doesn't have to deal with you!

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to weed out the dead weight -- 1 or 2 people can't carry a whole department on their backs!

Hated this place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsOnly pros if you know someone with influence

ConsAAFES HQ in Dallas is a joke. On the outside it looks like a great company to work for. But once employed, you realize most people aren't qualified for their position. The only way you move up is if you know someone. Most management doesn't know how to "manage", they just sit back and collect a check.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to listen, manage and perhaps read.

Provided a nice career.

Purchasing Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe Army and Air Force Exchange Service offered job security, rewarding work, challenging work, great benefits, an opportunity to travel, and a variety of paths for advancement.

ConsThe Exchange is going through a difficult transition. It is a small retailer with a big mission. Its market is shrinking with the draw down of the military. The Exchange is a federal government entity so it has a fair amount of bureaucracy (although more leeway than other government organizations). New hires don't have the same benefits as current employees. The organization is currently downsizing through early retirement offers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecisions are sometimes made without considering the impact on operations.

Company is under a monarchy - one person has too much power.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood sick leave and vacation. Flexible hours. Good benefits.

ConsNext to no room for advancement - - You can do the same job for a long time. Speaking up gets you labeled as a troublemaker.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit making knee jerk decisions

IT Architect

IT Security Architect (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGeneral Hendricks and John Solane

ConsChange was not well accepted nor rewarded!

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow change to happen!

The company is going through a complete overhaul due to the reduction in Armed Forces.

Supervisor (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsStability, benefits, jobs available at most military bases, gives back over 67% of profit to the Armed Forces, bonuses, very diverse

ConsThe transition going on in the company is to reduce the number of inefficiencies related to day to day business activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest meeting with the associates further down the chain to understand some of the process improvements needed. Many suggestions never make it up the chain.

The being an employee at the AAFES Catalog has been a challenging and different experience that I was acustome too.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe customers are very important and must be taken care of properly.

ConsThe is limited room for growth in the department.

Worked for Army and Air Force Exchange? Contribute to the Community!