Army and Air Force Exchange

Updated December 15, 2014
2.9

Army and Air Force Exchange CEO & Director Thomas C. Shull
Thomas C. Shull

Pros
  • Great benefits package with vacation days carrying over from year to year (in 12 reviews)

• Decent pay for retail & good benefits for even part timers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Hire a lot of part-time employees because some bases are not busy year round (in 15 reviews)

• Very low pay and not good benefits compare to your counter parts in the really world (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Recently retired after 30 years, great company to have worked for.

Current Employee - Retail Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange

Pros

Decent salary, lots of promotional opportunities.

Cons

Disconcerting upper management, lack of training in some areas.

Be flexible and improve your job knowledge to make you a company asset.

Meh

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange

Pros

Benefits for rpt associates on up, including sick and vacation time. Serving the armed forces. Sales associates have some flexibility in hours

Cons

Terrible work/life for management, taking away rpt positions in favor of positions without benefits, heading downhill.

Don't sacrifice your good associates. Get rod of those who don't work.

Mostly un-knowledgeable employees but with proper training and incentives can be pretty decent

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally most employees are decent people, as long as you do your job and do it well promotion is fast, the high number of people who don't know what they're doing will make you an asset quickly

Cons

Clique-ish, employees rumored to be sleeping with bosses, drama queens, lazy people, following procedure to the letter rather than following the spirit of the law, they'll ask you to move to some godawful places

the #1 problem with AAFES is the reorder associates and warehouse workers, they rely on ASAP do all the heavy work, are completely unfamiliar with stock, don't order accordingly. Inventory is not managed at all

In MCSS the reorder associates are especially terrible, ZERO understanding of what customers need, ordering way too many items etc etc

wasn't bad while it lasted but glad to be gone

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eielson AFB, AK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eielson AFB, AK

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the military environment would be the best aspect of the job

Cons

upper management loves making their associates do tasks that aren't their responsibility

Good place to start career or retire.

Pros

2 different pools for sick and vacation.
    Great work-life balance.
    Benefits are good, pension included

Cons

Compensation after benefits is low.
    Office culture of complacency and laziness.
    Your boss will make or break your work experience.
    Very top heavy structure with little room for advancement

I've been with them for about 5 years now, not too bad

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Fort Bragg, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Fort Bragg, NC

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get good hours sometimes, veryyyy laid back environment, impossible to get fired, you also get a raise every year

Cons

At the place I work the hours usually get cut drastically but not too low to where you could draw partial unemployment, they're really smart, advancement is hard it will take years to become manager and if you start out as an intermittent, achieving part time employment is kind of difficult, they do offer health benefits for part time and full time employees but it is expensive.

Work on better raises, remodeling the buildings

have had many yrs working for exchange

Former Employee - Finance and Accounting Management Trainee in Fort Huachuca, AZ

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

has many areas to choose from as far as employment

Cons

all jobs are challenging no matter what

more people want to discuss the ideas than want to work at them

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Store Associate in Offutt AFB, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Store Associate in Offutt AFB, NE

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff. Dedicated to the military. Decent pay for retail & good benefits for even part timers.

Cons

Starting get on the "hawk the store credit card" band wagon. This policy is what is killing morale & performance at Cabela's. Becomes store priority and causes higher turn over rate.

Keep it simple. Don't get caught up in the "get rich quick scheme" of the Milstar card. Focus on quality employees.

Overall: The company is great! It looks out for itself, not it's employees.

Former Employee - Annex Store Supervisor
    Former Employee - Annex Store Supervisor

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Long-term benefits for management employees are great! However, short-term pay and benefits I'm positive the Exchange could do better.

Cons

On the flip side, when it comes to the short-term pay and benefits the Exchange could do MUCH better!

I was employed at one location for 2.5 years and worked 1.5 of those years without a lunch break. After notifying many different routes my HRM finally got involved. She was rude, never heard me out, I was told my GM told her he was reliving me for my breaks It became his word over mine. I told her we had video footage to show her I was by myself but all she said was we're only paying you for when you first started inquiring. We're not going back any further and we aren't paying you for anything after (even after I had proof I was working still without my breaks) I believe HR should be retrained with how to talk to employees, I believe there is a right way and a wrong way of handling issues. I wish AAFES made it a little more clear who to turn to when it's the higher ups (who we are directed to turn to) aren't handling issues appropriately. From that moment on, things were never the same. I do everything I can to avoid my HR because I am certain the conversation will end with me feeling worse than when I brought my issue(s) to her awareness.

Also, when it comes to the smaller, remote facilities, it would be great if management realizes how much we put into these smaller facilities. We may not be able to meet numbers due to location, due to soldiers being deployed, but it would be nice to be recognized for the workload we do take on. Larger facilities are able to share their responsibilities but when you have remote locations with one or two employees and they are doing everything from dealing with vendors & customers to stocking and warehouse upkeep, janitorial tasks, and keeping up with all the EOPs and required documents and forms that are usually n/a to our facilities, we hardly get the recognition we deserve.

Marketing and Public Affairs intern. Created press releases for internal and national affairs to media publications.

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great corporate experience working with military and CEO leadership. Learned how to create ideas to professionally market, while being mentored by a supervisor.

Cons

Some of the management seemed a little disgruntled at times, and would voice it publicly to interns.

N/A