Army and Air Force Exchange

Updated September 16, 2014
2.9

Army and Air Force Exchange CEO & Director Thomas C. Shull
Thomas C. Shull

Pros
  • Great benefits package with vacation days carrying over from year to year (in 11 reviews)

• There are lots of opportunites to advance with in AAFES and you can have a long term career with them with good benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Hire a lot of part-time employees because some bases are not busy year round (in 12 reviews)

• I believe if full time positions were more readily available there would not be such a hiugh turnover rate (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Too many Associates still get promotions depending on who they know not always what they know.

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Associate

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

benefits are fine and are improving somewhat, everything takes time.
    Personal Growth rather minimum, do a set routine day in and out.
    Promotions may still depend on who is who and what rear end needs comforting
    **ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT SIDE ON THE COIN YOU LIKE BETTER**

Cons

Trying not to fill into a "robotic" rut, a monotone type of routine
    Compensation is better than some places worse than DECA or a Postal job.....with equal responsibilities.
    Leadership all depends on the age group and how flexible the are

Invest in your long term associates, work with them on them being able to improve themselves and acquire more knowledge of other aspects of the facilities....these people are worth the time, they have already proved their dedication to the Exchange! Honest motivation and feedback on a open communication level either weekly or monthly

Rewarding with Advancement Opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Store Associate Intermittent
    Former Employee - Senior Store Associate Intermittent

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time for less than a year

Pros

reward quality workers, friendly people, quick advancement, fun and positive environment

Cons

Benefits-most positions are intermittent or seasonal so they don't have to pay employee benefits. Tough competition for regular positions that do offer benefits, sometimes procedures are not very cohesive with tasks and some procedures are outdated and take longer than they should. Teams/ Departments are quite divided, no real whole team feeling- only within specified departments. Put senior employee preferences before newer employees. I did not feel valued or important to the company when management told me they could not accommodate my school schedule because a senior employee would only work a certain schedule (it was not that they actually couldn't work any other schedule but that they refused to) I was told "Well, [employee] always works [this schedule] and I can't change it. It just can't work with your schedule" I was also told that if they knew I was going to be attending school I wouldn't have been hired. However I did inform them of my schedule change and when it would change when I went in for my interview.

Reduce intermittent job and increase regular positions. Retention rates would be higher if thetr were more positions that were regular FT and PT vs intermittent. This would make new hires feel more valued and more like you truly believe in the person to be successful at the company, rather than as if they were just settled on to fill a spot. Ensure that all employees are treated fairly and equally when scheduling is involved and try to accommodate all employees not just those with seniority.

Furniture Department

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Fort Wainwright, AK
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Wainwright, AK

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits for Full Time employees

Cons

Management, large workload versus low pay.

consider a manager who works instead of never being at the facility.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hurry up and wait!

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The mission of the company, work-life balance and flexible schedule.

Cons

Compensation is low. No cost of living raises. You have to be in the "know" or "click" to get promoted or if you screw up bad enough you get promoted however if you work hard, have integrity, character, professionalism and fair don't look to be promoted. The managers that get promoted do not have any people skills, don't know how to communicate with their direct reports and performance reviews and readiness ratings are a joke. And management likes to sugar coat everything and don't provide a realistic picture...will report all good but hardly report the bad or if a project is slipping...if they do report the bad they put a spin on it to make it look good. By doing so a false reality is presented and you can't improve because you keep covering up one false reality after another false reality.

To the CEO, please take some time to meet with the people that actually do the work everyday, without management, and you will get a true reality of what is really going on instead of the false positive. We know you are a very busy executive however changes would be made faster if you get the brutal, candid and honest truth from the associates.

AAFES

Current Employee - Concept Manager  in  Fort Stewart, GA
    Current Employee - Concept Manager in Fort Stewart, GA

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Health Insurance. Not much else to say.

Cons

AAFES is all about the money. Other Employees are a NIGHTMARE!!! If you don't like your job that much, quit.

Help out!!!

Just getting by

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange

Pros

Supportive Supervisor and good people to work with.

Cons

AAFES is an out of touch organization.

Will never work for them again!

Former Employee - Cashier & Food Service Worker  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier & Food Service Worker in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time for more than a year

Pros

Met some great people who were willing to help you out when you needed the help or not.
    Great first/starter job for high school students.

Cons

Difficult to do your job when the policies change just about every day or so.
    Starting hourly pay is not good for employees with a family.
    Select customers think the employees are beneath them.

Don't expect the employees to make this company their life!

AAFEES Experience

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate  in  Fort Irwin, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fort Irwin, CA

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time for less than a year

Pros

Consistent Schedule and heavy Military support system.

Cons

It was extremely repetitive and the workload as well as blame were funneled to the warehouse laborers.

discuss switching up roles of workers, allow personal methods of functioning n a warehouse environment.

Senior Store Associate (Furniture Store)

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate  in  Fort Wainwright, AK
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Fort Wainwright, AK

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked there for 3 years while we were stationed there, the store manager was amazing, the store is small and easy to run, getting days off was fairly easy and the pay was great!

Cons

The company itself has too many unrealistic goals for employees but its like that at every AAFES facility. However we were a small store and not connected to the main store (px) so business sometimes was really slow. Around holidays was the busiest and doing inventory at the end of each year sucked!

Decent company to work for

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Worked there for 14 years

Cons

I was caught up in the company downsizing

Worked for Army and Air Force Exchange? Contribute to the Community!