Army and Air Force Exchange

Updated October 19, 2014
2.8

Army and Air Force Exchange CEO & Director Thomas C. Shull
Thomas C. Shull

Pros
  • Great benefits package with vacation days carrying over from year to year (in 12 reviews)

• good benefits stability if you stay with company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Hire a lot of part-time employees because some bases are not busy year round (in 14 reviews)

• Offer low pay, most positions are part-time, little opportunity for advancement (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Store Associate in Offutt AFB, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Store Associate in Offutt AFB, NE

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great staff. Dedicated to the military. Decent pay for retail & good benefits for even part timers.

Cons

Starting get on the "hawk the store credit card" band wagon. This policy is what is killing morale & performance at Cabela's. Becomes store priority and causes higher turn over rate.

Keep it simple. Don't get caught up in the "get rich quick scheme" of the Milstar card. Focus on quality employees.

Overall: The company is great! It looks out for itself, not it's employees.

Former Employee - Annex Store Supervisor
    Former Employee - Annex Store Supervisor

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Long-term benefits for management employees are great! However, short-term pay and benefits I'm positive the Exchange could do better.

Cons

On the flip side, when it comes to the short-term pay and benefits the Exchange could do MUCH better!

I was employed at one location for 2.5 years and worked 1.5 of those years without a lunch break. After notifying many different routes my HRM finally got involved. She was rude, never heard me out, I was told my GM told her he was reliving me for my breaks It became his word over mine. I told her we had video footage to show her I was by myself but all she said was we're only paying you for when you first started inquiring. We're not going back any further and we aren't paying you for anything after (even after I had proof I was working still without my breaks) I believe HR should be retrained with how to talk to employees, I believe there is a right way and a wrong way of handling issues. I wish AAFES made it a little more clear who to turn to when it's the higher ups (who we are directed to turn to) aren't handling issues appropriately. From that moment on, things were never the same. I do everything I can to avoid my HR because I am certain the conversation will end with me feeling worse than when I brought my issue(s) to her awareness.

Also, when it comes to the smaller, remote facilities, it would be great if management realizes how much we put into these smaller facilities. We may not be able to meet numbers due to location, due to soldiers being deployed, but it would be nice to be recognized for the workload we do take on. Larger facilities are able to share their responsibilities but when you have remote locations with one or two employees and they are doing everything from dealing with vendors & customers to stocking and warehouse upkeep, janitorial tasks, and keeping up with all the EOPs and required documents and forms that are usually n/a to our facilities, we hardly get the recognition we deserve.

Marketing and Public Affairs intern. Created press releases for internal and national affairs to media publications.

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great corporate experience working with military and CEO leadership. Learned how to create ideas to professionally market, while being mentored by a supervisor.

Cons

Some of the management seemed a little disgruntled at times, and would voice it publicly to interns.

N/A

SR STORE ASSOCIATE

Current Employee - Senior Store Associate in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Store Associate in El Paso, TX

Pros

Meeting and assisting soldiers and families.

Cons

Salary not so great. Advancement and promotion is a plus.

It was good just time to move on to better opportunity.

Pros

good benefits stability if you stay with company.

Cons

not enough working hours won't work around your schedule

Army and Airforce exchange in a rap

Former Employee - Crew Member in Fort Lee, VA
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Fort Lee, VA

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Pay, Quick Hiring, Benefits

Cons

Horrible Management, Low Ceiling, Raises

It starting to become like a high school.

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange

Pros

They have good benefits for full-time employees.

Cons

Management does not support employees .

Listen to your employees, they are the ones who handle customers and merchandise everyday.

Easy to learn your job and mentally leave work when you walk out the door each day.

Current Employee - Order Selection Associate in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Order Selection Associate in Waco, TX

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people are friendly. I really like having scheduled ( 15 min.) breaks every two hours and lunch at the same time. It's like clockwork on a bell schedule.

Cons

The hot temperatures in the warehouse during the hot months in central Texas. There's air conditioning, but the warehouse is so big it is hard to cool it. Plus, there are 3 floors in order selection. The salary isn't enough for single parents to live on without having to have a second job.

Open the opportunity for regular associates to apply for positions as foreman, managers, front office workers and upper management. Whoever orders the boxes for repacks needs to order the large and jumbo boxes or better yet go back to ordering the boxes that folded. They are more efficient and don't require the use of as much tape. Please have the bases return boxes that are good to reuse.

It was full of learning curves.

Former Employee - Laborer in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Laborer in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Global access and Multi-cultural exposure. Good coaching and mentoring experiences.

Cons

Low pay vs expectancy of output and workload.

Keep in mind where you came from.

Too many Associates still get promotions depending on who they know not always what they know.

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Associate

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

benefits are fine and are improving somewhat, everything takes time.
    Personal Growth rather minimum, do a set routine day in and out.
    Promotions may still depend on who is who and what rear end needs comforting
    **ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT SIDE ON THE COIN YOU LIKE BETTER**

Cons

Trying not to fill into a "robotic" rut, a monotone type of routine
    Compensation is better than some places worse than DECA or a Postal job.....with equal responsibilities.
    Leadership all depends on the age group and how flexible the are

Invest in your long term associates, work with them on them being able to improve themselves and acquire more knowledge of other aspects of the facilities....these people are worth the time, they have already proved their dedication to the Exchange! Honest motivation and feedback on a open communication level either weekly or monthly

Army and Air Force Exchange Photos