Army and Air Force Exchange

Army and Air Force Exchange Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Army and Air Force Exchange CEO & Director Thomas C. Shull

Thomas C. Shull

Pros:
  • "The company has great benefits for their employees and 401K, And you can travel all over the world"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Management is flexible with your schedule making it a good part time job if you're in school"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Almost all of the assistant management positions are given only on a part time basis"
    in 8 reviews
  • "no full time positions unless your managment, supervisors or in an ops position"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Fort Stewart, GA

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange as an intern for less than a year

ProsAAFES values and support of military personnel is like no other. Because of this they also make sure to take care of their employees. The benefits that the Exchange offer cannot be compared to any other retail organization. The company believes in promoting from within and the opportunities there a limitless.

ConsOnly challenge is that for some positions pay is not as competitive as it should.

Boring and bureaucratic, but decent

Web Developer and Designer (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good pay, lots of opportunities, good stability, great hours. The headquarters is nice and large with a cafeteria and other perks. Good team cohesiveness and support. (however this leads to different departments being "competitive" and jealous of one another). Hard to get fired as long as you show up. This is both good and bad.

ConsGovernment bureaucracy abounds, but that's to be expected. Can't start anything without filling out forms and getting approval from 18 people. Some departments can be boy's clubs. HQ building is so dreary with cubicle farms, needs a better environment. SO many people at HQ that there are some sexually harassing pervs that crop up occasionally, nothing major though.

Great Atmosphere

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Andrews Air Force Base, MD

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time for less than a year

ProsEveryone at the store that I worked at was very pleasant and the customers were happy to come into the store.

ConsDirty bathrooms and no room for promotions. Upper management can be very strict at times and multiple departments to handle at peak hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people or create a better work schedule.

Wonderful Mission, Terrible Morale

Business Analyst I (S) (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than 5 years

ProsKnowing that we set out to complete a noble mission and provide a necessary service to our troops & their families.
Meeting a few people you can trust, that make you feel like family.

ConsWay too much unprofessionalism, lack of accountability, the lazier you are the more likely you get promoted so your manager doesn't have to deal with you!

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to weed out the dead weight -- 1 or 2 people can't carry a whole department on their backs!

Only takes one bad manager to ruin a good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time for more than a year

ProsI absolutely loved working here. Co-Workers were mostly great to work with. Always a few slackers that float thru.

ConsVery Hard to get fired (You'd think this a pro -- but when fellow co-workers are terrible and need to be let go they get kept around far far too long).

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to complaints about Management. Having multiple people leave one particular store because of ONE particular Manager is not a good sign. Let go of people that need to be let go instead of shuffling them around and giving them multiple chances after they've screwed up. It just brings down the rest of your staff and makes them work harder to fill in the gaps.

Basic retail sales with good benefits. Management are long term employees with no desire to improve processes to improve

Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are good, but the hourly pay is not good for single employees. Good people but place holders and not driven to improve sales or customer service.
Good for spouses of military only.

ConsLow pay with no chance for advancement. They need to bring in outside talent to update
the processes. Too many layers of management with no improvement.
The attitude towards soldiers is not what you would hope for.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen asked why we can not update a way of doing something, the reply is this is the way we do it and no consideration if there is a better idea. Never heard a compliment when things are done well, After inspections, there is no feedback, no staff meetings. The only time you see senior management is when there is a problem, Positive leadership is a foreign concept. A lot wasted time and money is wasted. We spent lots of time making things look good. We need an undercover boss for several weeks to ferret out the waste.
Prior to inspections, we rearrange the merchandise to cover where we do not have enough stock.
We have warehouse workers that only work when a truck comes in. They sit for hours playing games rather than stocking or helping with the customers. No preparation for
busy days. Staff is not beefed up for busy days (paydays).

Stay away!

Material Handler II (Current Employee)
Newport News, VA

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than 5 years

Prosvery easy. Perfect job if you want to do what you want and come to work when you want and not have to worry aboutbeing fired.

Consno promotion. dead end job.

Advice to Senior Managementraises!

Operations manager

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for less than a year

ProsVery good pay and benefits. If you like to see the world, you'll like it

ConsLong hours, very little support from superiors. They cram a lot of information in a short period of time. Very old systems. If you're in management a very old unmotivated work crew

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain more, don't throw people to their first assignments right before fourth quarter

I enjoyed my job & loved meeting people from many different cultures.

Sales Area Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI enjoyed the opportunities to travel to seminars & meet people from all over the world, loved providing outstanding service to our Military & their families. Great company benefits & 401k.

ConsI agree with many other posts; Facility management is able to bend rules & implement their own policies to benefit certain associates & staff. If you try to address these issues with regional management & beyond you might as well be writing your own termination & look for a new job.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes to what is going on in your facility. Provide the same opportunity to ALL associates not just the click setters. This seems to be apparent in almost every Exchange. I would rate Cultures & Values and Senior Management higher if they would talk with associates during a visit instead of being shielded by GM's from actual issues that need to be addressed. Look at the employee turnover at the Exchange level & ask questions.

Awesome

Human Resources Technician (Current Employee)
Andrews AFB, MD

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people, serving the military community, opportunities for promotion, on the job training, career development, tons of internal opportunities for promotion. Paid federal holidays, daytime hours are great (7:30-4:30pm). I worked with mostly internal employees, and they were all great people working hard for our military.

ConsPay could be higher, leadership is not as transparent as they should be, military spouses can be difficult to deal with at times.

Worked for Army and Air Force Exchange? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Army and Air Force Exchange reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Army and Air Force Exchange CEO Thomas C. Shull. All 150 reviews posted anonymously by Army and Air Force Exchange employees.