Army and Air Force Exchange

Army and Air Force Exchange Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Army and Air Force Exchange CEO & Director Thomas C. Shull

Thomas C. Shull

Pros:
  • "The company has great benefits for their employees and 401K, And you can travel all over the world"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Management is flexible with your schedule making it a good part time job if you're in school"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Almost all of the assistant management positions are given only on a part time basis"
    in 8 reviews
  • "no full time positions unless your managment, supervisors or in an ops position"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hated this place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time

ProsOnly pros if you know someone with influence

ConsAAFES HQ in Dallas is a joke. On the outside it looks like a great company to work for. But once employed, you realize most people aren't qualified for their position. The only way you move up is if you know someone. Most management doesn't know how to "manage", they just sit back and collect a check.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to listen, manage and perhaps read.

Only as a last resort.

Warehouse Worker (Former Employee)
Heidelberg, Baden-Wurttemberg (Germany)

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time for more than a year

ProsAt the time of working there it was the only opportunity to obtain logistical support to stay in Europe.

ConsMy experiences are only from a 2 year period while working for AAFES in Germany.

Poor salary, workers scheduled for maximum amount of hours allowed while still remaining "part-time" which saves the company paying for health insurance, sick leave, vacation leave, or any other full-time benefit options.

Three bosses which consistently harassed employees to work faster/more while only one of them actually did any sort of work.

Pay was terrible, very difficult to live if it was the only income.

Discouraged from taking any sort of leave/absence during the job. No vacation time = leave without pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementEffective review processes of supervisors, employee incentives, offering a competitive salary even if many of us only have you as an option. Commission for sales staff may also increase business in certain regions.

Salary

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Fort Benning, GA

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits are pretty good there

ConsBad managers, run over employees

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your subordinates and treat them like people not animals

decreasing work hours and expecting employees to pay their bills. we cant afford to go to the doctor when we are sick.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Fort Hood, TX

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time for more than a year

Prosthere are no good reason to work for Aafes. There is no future or living the dream.

Consno full time positions unless your managment, supervisors or in an ops position....no real future

Advice to Senior Managementnot all of your employees are military affiliated and work there for a living. listen to your employees and your customers needs and wants. not what u want.

Horrible- Finance Department

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat aerobics program and instructor.

ConsVery Low Salary. Management was horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people with dignity and be honest upfront when people start.

Terrible

Store Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIt is a safe environment, especially since it is on a military base. You also get paid every two weeks, which is a plus.

ConsEmployees are very unhappy and pay is lower than the fast food industry. Aggressive management require you to do activities outside of your job description. The break room and bathrooms are always dirty.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better and manage them more efficiently.

Store Associate

Store Associate (Current Employee)
Ramstein (Germany)

ProsYou get to meet new people, and learn how to protect your rights from your employer.

ConsManagers take advantage of most employees. Pay is very little.

Bad Experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Andrews AFB, MD

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time for less than a year

ProsYou get to have a lunch break with two breaks. Also most times you can have a peaceful lunch and watch what you want on television.

ConsThe environment is terrible. You have to stand on your feet most of the time and there is no time to think. It gets worse everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat staff nicer and manage your employees better.

No good deed will go unpunished.

Business Analyst-web Design (Former Employee)

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you begin your career here, you can retire early. Ambitious politic-savvy players may start a side business and benefit from government contracts by knowing the right insiders.

ConsIf you come on board and try to get things up to speed and into the same decade as current technology, you will be labeled a person who makes waves. It's a place where long timers just want the status quo and change is looked at as hostile action. It's a popularity contest with little or nothing to do with skill set. Civilian run organization has adopted military chain of command mentality. Never ask why. Do as you are told regardless of business value logic.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm not sure what to say, as my experience can be summed up by the words of the in house department for discrimination rep telling me "I've seen it happen before and it will continue to happen." With DoD funding, no one can go up against that and ride it out to win.

AAFES is a great place to work if you have already been there for 10 yrs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Fort Meade, MD

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange

ProsThe end of the work day.
Paid training.
Overtime if you want it.
1 hr. breaks if you work more than half a day.

ConsManagement has no idea what is going on with the employees.
Employees create clicks.
They give you a hard time when you ask to be off.
They don't want to recognize your potential for upward mobility for fear of you taking their job.
Emplyees that have been there for a long time are actually running the show.
Entry-level pay is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop wasting government money.
Listen to your employees.
Create an environment where new employees can give you honest feedback.
Respect your employees and don't treat them like they are insignificant.

Worked for Army and Air Force Exchange? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Army and Air Force Exchange reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Army and Air Force Exchange CEO Thomas C. Shull. All 149 reviews posted anonymously by Army and Air Force Exchange employees.