Army and Air Force Exchange

Updated November 21, 2014
2.8

Army and Air Force Exchange CEO & Director Thomas C. Shull
Thomas C. Shull

Pros
  • Great benefits package with vacation days carrying over from year to year (in 12 reviews)

• Decent pay for retail & good benefits for even part timers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Hire a lot of part-time employees because some bases are not busy year round (in 15 reviews)

• Very low pay and not good benefits compare to your counter parts in the really world (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

It starting to become like a high school.

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange

Pros

They have good benefits for full-time employees.

Cons

Management does not support employees .

Listen to your employees, they are the ones who handle customers and merchandise everyday.

Easy to learn your job and mentally leave work when you walk out the door each day.

Current Employee - Order Selection Associate in Waco, TX
    Current Employee - Order Selection Associate in Waco, TX

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people are friendly. I really like having scheduled ( 15 min.) breaks every two hours and lunch at the same time. It's like clockwork on a bell schedule.

Cons

The hot temperatures in the warehouse during the hot months in central Texas. There's air conditioning, but the warehouse is so big it is hard to cool it. Plus, there are 3 floors in order selection. The salary isn't enough for single parents to live on without having to have a second job.

Open the opportunity for regular associates to apply for positions as foreman, managers, front office workers and upper management. Whoever orders the boxes for repacks needs to order the large and jumbo boxes or better yet go back to ordering the boxes that folded. They are more efficient and don't require the use of as much tape. Please have the bases return boxes that are good to reuse.

It was good just time to move on to better opportunity.

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits stability if you stay with company.

Cons

not enough working hours won't work around your schedule

Too many Associates still get promotions depending on who they know not always what they know.

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Associate
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Associate

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

benefits are fine and are improving somewhat, everything takes time.
    Personal Growth rather minimum, do a set routine day in and out.
    Promotions may still depend on who is who and what rear end needs comforting
    **ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT SIDE ON THE COIN YOU LIKE BETTER**

Cons

Trying not to fill into a "robotic" rut, a monotone type of routine
    Compensation is better than some places worse than DECA or a Postal job.....with equal responsibilities.
    Leadership all depends on the age group and how flexible the are

Invest in your long term associates, work with them on them being able to improve themselves and acquire more knowledge of other aspects of the facilities....these people are worth the time, they have already proved their dedication to the Exchange! Honest motivation and feedback on a open communication level either weekly or monthly

Horrible

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm having a really difficult time coming up with any "pros" about working here. I get along well with my fellow employees. Also, I have to be grateful for getting hired. It allowed me to stay in place for an additional year. Other than that, I can't think of anything

Cons

Focus on the dollar at the expense of the employee. The problem with AAFES is that they don't have to worry much about work/life balance for their employees, because there is always a spouse, retiree, or recently discharged veteran waiting in the wings and willing to accept the terrible pay. In my experience thus far, management only knows one way to increase profits--hire fewer employees. The result is excessive amounts of sick leave taken by current employees, because they are being worked too hard. The second order effect of this is even fewer personnel to cover the shifts which are used to be covered by those on sick leave. The third order effect? More people taking sick leave. In the three months I have been employed here, I have seen seven people take in excess of two weeks of sick leave--consecutively--each. One just returned four weeks ago and is already seeing the doctor again and may end up on extended sick leave within the next month. Now they've decided to only hire temporary employees. This means that every six months we have to train a new group. It also means there is very little continuity. All this and still greater pressure to improve profits. It's outrageous. Supervisors have no time to perform much needed supervisory tasks because they are too busy doing all the jobs which are left incomplete due to a lack of personnel.

Train management on selling/marketing, as opposed to simply cutting costs by way of fewer employees. Demonstrate a greater concern for employee well-being.

It was full of learning curves.

Former Employee - Laborer in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Laborer in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Global access and Multi-cultural exposure. Good coaching and mentoring experiences.

Cons

Low pay vs expectancy of output and workload.

Keep in mind where you came from.

Hurry up and wait!

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The mission of the company, work-life balance and flexible schedule.

Cons

Compensation is low. No cost of living raises. You have to be in the "know" or "click" to get promoted or if you screw up bad enough you get promoted however if you work hard, have integrity, character, professionalism and fair don't look to be promoted. The managers that get promoted do not have any people skills, don't know how to communicate with their direct reports and performance reviews and readiness ratings are a joke. And management likes to sugar coat everything and don't provide a realistic picture...will report all good but hardly report the bad or if a project is slipping...if they do report the bad they put a spin on it to make it look good. By doing so a false reality is presented and you can't improve because you keep covering up one false reality after another false reality.

To the CEO, please take some time to meet with the people that actually do the work everyday, without management, and you will get a true reality of what is really going on instead of the false positive. We know you are a very busy executive however changes would be made faster if you get the brutal, candid and honest truth from the associates.

Rewarding with Advancement Opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Store Associate Intermittent
    Former Employee - Senior Store Associate Intermittent

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (less than an year)

Pros

reward quality workers, friendly people, quick advancement, fun and positive environment

Cons

Benefits-most positions are intermittent or seasonal so they don't have to pay employee benefits. Tough competition for regular positions that do offer benefits, sometimes procedures are not very cohesive with tasks and some procedures are outdated and take longer than they should. Teams/ Departments are quite divided, no real whole team feeling- only within specified departments. Put senior employee preferences before newer employees. I did not feel valued or important to the company when management told me they could not accommodate my school schedule because a senior employee would only work a certain schedule (it was not that they actually couldn't work any other schedule but that they refused to) I was told "Well, [employee] always works [this schedule] and I can't change it. It just can't work with your schedule" I was also told that if they knew I was going to be attending school I wouldn't have been hired. However I did inform them of my schedule change and when it would change when I went in for my interview.

Reduce intermittent job and increase regular positions. Retention rates would be higher if thetr were more positions that were regular FT and PT vs intermittent. This would make new hires feel more valued and more like you truly believe in the person to be successful at the company, rather than as if they were just settled on to fill a spot. Ensure that all employees are treated fairly and equally when scheduling is involved and try to accommodate all employees not just those with seniority.

Furniture Department

Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Wainwright, AK
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Wainwright, AK

Pros

Benefits for Full Time employees

Cons

Management, large workload versus low pay.

consider a manager who works instead of never being at the facility.

AAFEES Experience

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fort Irwin, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fort Irwin, CA

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Consistent Schedule and heavy Military support system.

Cons

It was extremely repetitive and the workload as well as blame were funneled to the warehouse laborers.

discuss switching up roles of workers, allow personal methods of functioning n a warehouse environment.

Army and Air Force Exchange Photos