Army and Air Force Exchange

Updated December 21, 2014
2.9

Army and Air Force Exchange CEO & Director Thomas C. Shull
Thomas C. Shull

Pros
  • Great benefits package with vacation days carrying over from year to year (in 12 reviews)

• Decent pay for retail & good benefits for even part timers (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Hire a lot of part-time employees because some bases are not busy year round (in 15 reviews)

• Very low pay and not good benefits compare to your counter parts in the really world (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

It was full of learning curves.

Former Employee - Laborer in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Laborer in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Global access and Multi-cultural exposure. Good coaching and mentoring experiences.

Cons

Low pay vs expectancy of output and workload.

Keep in mind where you came from.

Hurry up and wait!

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The mission of the company, work-life balance and flexible schedule.

Cons

Compensation is low. No cost of living raises. You have to be in the "know" or "click" to get promoted or if you screw up bad enough you get promoted however if you work hard, have integrity, character, professionalism and fair don't look to be promoted. The managers that get promoted do not have any people skills, don't know how to communicate with their direct reports and performance reviews and readiness ratings are a joke. And management likes to sugar coat everything and don't provide a realistic picture...will report all good but hardly report the bad or if a project is slipping...if they do report the bad they put a spin on it to make it look good. By doing so a false reality is presented and you can't improve because you keep covering up one false reality after another false reality.

To the CEO, please take some time to meet with the people that actually do the work everyday, without management, and you will get a true reality of what is really going on instead of the false positive. We know you are a very busy executive however changes would be made faster if you get the brutal, candid and honest truth from the associates.

Will never work for them again!

Former Employee - Cashier & Food Service Worker in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier & Food Service Worker in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met some great people who were willing to help you out when you needed the help or not.
    Great first/starter job for high school students.

Cons

Difficult to do your job when the policies change just about every day or so.
    Starting hourly pay is not good for employees with a family.
    Select customers think the employees are beneath them.

Don't expect the employees to make this company their life!

Just getting by

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange

Pros

Supportive Supervisor and good people to work with.

Cons

AAFES is an out of touch organization.

Rewarding with Advancement Opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Store Associate Intermittent
    Former Employee - Senior Store Associate Intermittent

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (less than an year)

Pros

reward quality workers, friendly people, quick advancement, fun and positive environment

Cons

Benefits-most positions are intermittent or seasonal so they don't have to pay employee benefits. Tough competition for regular positions that do offer benefits, sometimes procedures are not very cohesive with tasks and some procedures are outdated and take longer than they should. Teams/ Departments are quite divided, no real whole team feeling- only within specified departments. Put senior employee preferences before newer employees. I did not feel valued or important to the company when management told me they could not accommodate my school schedule because a senior employee would only work a certain schedule (it was not that they actually couldn't work any other schedule but that they refused to) I was told "Well, [employee] always works [this schedule] and I can't change it. It just can't work with your schedule" I was also told that if they knew I was going to be attending school I wouldn't have been hired. However I did inform them of my schedule change and when it would change when I went in for my interview.

Reduce intermittent job and increase regular positions. Retention rates would be higher if thetr were more positions that were regular FT and PT vs intermittent. This would make new hires feel more valued and more like you truly believe in the person to be successful at the company, rather than as if they were just settled on to fill a spot. Ensure that all employees are treated fairly and equally when scheduling is involved and try to accommodate all employees not just those with seniority.

Furniture Department

Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Wainwright, AK
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Wainwright, AK

I have been working at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits for Full Time employees

Cons

Management, large workload versus low pay.

consider a manager who works instead of never being at the facility.

AAFEES Experience

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fort Irwin, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Fort Irwin, CA

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Consistent Schedule and heavy Military support system.

Cons

It was extremely repetitive and the workload as well as blame were funneled to the warehouse laborers.

discuss switching up roles of workers, allow personal methods of functioning n a warehouse environment.

Senior Store Associate (Furniture Store)

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Fort Wainwright, AK
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Fort Wainwright, AK

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked there for 3 years while we were stationed there, the store manager was amazing, the store is small and easy to run, getting days off was fairly easy and the pay was great!

Cons

The company itself has too many unrealistic goals for employees but its like that at every AAFES facility. However we were a small store and not connected to the main store (px) so business sometimes was really slow. Around holidays was the busiest and doing inventory at the end of each year sucked!

Decent company to work for

Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandising Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked there for 14 years

Cons

I was caught up in the company downsizing

Successful despite themselves

Former Employee - IT Professional in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Dallas, TX

I worked at Army and Air Force Exchange full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and job security

Cons

Training only offered to associates unqualified for their jobs or with the time to attend them. Tuition reimbursement is only offered to very few with many loop holes, does not include books and is capped at 20 thousand - it is run more like scholarship program. Work life balance is not a privilege extended to most. The pay scales will allow for them to pay unknowing new hires and long time employees anywhere from 10 to 20 grand less (a year) than lateral associates with no more responsibility, training, or experience. The performance based raises are subject to the rating of a top heavy, unqualified middle management. People are constantly promoted because 'they've been passed up many times before', not at all because they'd qualify for those jobs hiring off the street.

Treat people fair and learn something about the job area you are managing. Take accountability for your weaknesses and grow from them.

Army and Air Force Exchange Photos