Arnel Management

1.5

Steve Mensinger

Stressful, fear based environment

Current Employee - Resident Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Arnel Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Get promoted quickly if you can rent apartments
    - Free apartment as a manager
    - Arnel hires great people. All of my coworkers have been amazing.

Cons

- You work weekends, there's only two holidays (Christmas and Thanksgiving) and only 5 paid vacations days. If you don't have enough vacation time, they will just deny your request
    - They promote based on whoever is sucking up the most to whomever at the corporate office
    - They do not value you as an employee. EVERYONE is replaceable.
    - All long term employees get fired. The past several VPs and Regional Supervisors have been fired.
    - They try to use scare tactics to get people to perform better

Value your employees more.

Behind the times! Stop wasting resources - focus on your employees instead of making money

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Orange, CA

I worked at Arnel Management full-time (less than a year)

Pros

free rent if you are a resident manager- but you have to live at the property- and you can be transferred anytime

Cons

Very low pay, non- competitive benefits, low commission, transfers all the time, you are never sure where you are going to work. They move you around all the time, you have to market yourself, you post your own craigslist ads...oh yeah, you have to stand up every time someone walks into the room...managers make up numbers, when people cancel, they hold the cancels so they don't get into trouble, make up traffic...its ridiculous, you make more money referring a resident then commission. Did I mention very low pay

Get new management and stop hiding behind your jackets! Get out in the field and do something about the properties. Get rid of the bed bugs, roaches, and rats....upgrade the laundry faciilities, get better coin less machines, invest on new appliances, not appliances from the 1970's.....respect your employees, don't yell at them and threaten to fire them...stop with all the paperwork, you are killing trees! Ever heard of technology???? Get an education, you might learn something, using a computer....

Leasing consultant

Former Employee - Leasing in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Arnel Management full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Friendly office teams. Quick for advancement.

Cons

Pressure of getting rents. Stressful when you don't meeet your quota. Working long hours.

Broken Promises and Unethical Treatment of Employees

Current Employee - Resident Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Arnel Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Promoted quickly
    - Discounted or free apartment depending on position
    - I enjoyed the sales aspect and the high sales quotas

Cons

- Promised a free apartment and a salary increase with promotion but instead was given a salary decrease of 21% of my income a month. When I raised it as in issue I was told it would be solved but it was never addressed nor resolved.
    - Fear and disappointment based motivation.
    - Transfers happen every other week.
    - Under constant surveillance which breeds an untrusting environment. The COO will sporadically watch you on the cameras and then call you to question what you're doing. Very juvenile and makes you feel as if they believe you're incompetent.
    - Upper management isn't as effective as they have the potential to be due to inability to put aside pride and ego. Degrading of employees publicly in front of peers is acceptable in this company culture.
    - I never felt safe as a manager living on site. I had to call the police at least once a week and was afraid of retaliation as most residents know where you live.
    - Turnover of employees is extremely high, 18% turnover in a one month period.
    - I was so excited when I first received this job offer. I'm saddened by how disappointed I have been, I think the industry has potential to be fulfilling, just not for this company.

Value your talent. Don't belittle your supervisors and managers in front of peers and employees. Encourage ideas instead of scoffing at input. Trust your employees, it makes it hard to work diligently when you are constantly looking over our shoulders.

Beware

Former Employee - Business Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Arnel Management full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you can lease apartments you are their STAR employee. Training was the best part of my time there and fortunately I met some really solid co-workers.

Cons

Low salary, I mean low, overtime spent without pay, yeah they offer you a free apartment if you become a manager however that's how they trap you.

Ridiculous politics at corporate and yes this company needs to stop nickel and diming residents for everything. Treat all employees FAIRLY. Supervisors had unrealistic expectations, I guess they are just puppets too.

Loved My Community, Loved My Home, HATED ARNEL and the way they treat employees!

Former Employee - Resident Manager
    Former Employee - Resident Manager

I worked at Arnel Management full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work for this shady company is the comprehensive training you get. It's often referred to as the "boot camp of the apartment industry."

Cons

The pressure when working at Arnel is UNBELIEVABLE! Many Resident Managers have gotten physically ill because of their job, myself included. The company politics are ridiculous! If you're liked by upper management, you are. If you're not ... watch out! I was smart enough to get out of the company on my own accord, when I already had another job lined up. But since then, many of my friends have been fired for obvious bogus reasons.

Upper management needs to look at what they are doing! Arnel has lost SO MANY OUTSTANDING EMPLOYEES in the apartment industry ... for what? Are you proud of the way you treat your employees? Stop and think for a moment that we are REAL HUMAN BEINGS ... NOT JUST A NUMBER!! On behalf of myself and so many of my friends ... there is not much more to say than SHAME ON YOU! You should be embarrassed!!

you either rent or be fired. no stability at this company. dont walk run!

Former Employee - Resident Manager in Westminster, CA
    Former Employee - Resident Manager in Westminster, CA

I worked at Arnel Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

i like working with the many different employees that come and go.

Cons

they set you up to fail. all they know how to do is threaten to fire you if you dont meet their un realistic numbers. they move you around from property to property, gives the resident no sense of stability in the leasing office. corporate office is very unstable. Resident managers are nothing more than gloried leasing agents. they have no authority to make decisions.

you need to build your team up, not break them down. get rid of the ugly boot leg signs, they look like clearance sales on apartments. trust in your employees and treat them with respect and dignity. I do have to say that working for your company was like being in a bad abusive relationship. Thank god I left when I did. i never looked back.

Horrible Leadership with a rent or you are fired mentality

I worked at Arnel Management full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can get promoted fast and easily.

Cons

The pay is way under comparable companies. Since it is easy to get promoted to manager, most of the people who are managers are just good at sales not management. As a residential manager you are just a baby sitter for the residents there and don't have any power to make any changes. All power for this is held by people in corporate that do not even see the apartments unless they live at one. Also if you work at a property you are considered part of Propserv Inc. and not Arnel, so you are not invited to the company Christmas parties or any other company events held. These are held strictly for corporate employees who are under the Arnel name.

Teach the managers to be effective managers. Give the people working at the properties the power to make changes and to actually help the residents. Stop separating corporate employees from those who work in the field. We are all part of the same company.

Supervisor's are under trained and expect high sales numbers with pay that you earned in high school. Crap apartments!

Current Employee - Resident Manager
    Current Employee - Resident Manager

I have been working at Arnel Management full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working at one of the nicest properties. That being said roaches and rats infestation.

Cons

Roaches and Rats. Supervisor's micro manage, affecting the team in a very negative way. Over priced old apartments. Gross black mold popping up in 30% of my residents bathrooms. Far from Luxury! They make you work at least 10 hours of overtime every week without paying me. Go marketing on your own dime, they make it so hard to file for reimbursement that I don't even bother. They monitor you on video just for laughs at corporate office. Not professional at all. The only reason I am still here is because of my daughter, just put her in school up the street. Try explaining to another Resident why they got charged so much for old carpet stains and paint after living here for years and fed up so they move out and take not getting their money back. So sick of Residents getting promised luxury and instead they get 1970's old apartments!

Get better supervisor's that know what they are doing! They hinder not promote your properties. Try for once giving our Residents back their deposits after they move out! Never happens and we all are trained to doctor up all of our soda's so they never get any money back even when they have been stellar Residents! Upper Management is just focused on getting my Residents money, not making them happy, as they so pay for.

Okay apartments, unstable company to work for.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at Arnel Management full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you were a manager, you would get free rent. If you were an assistant manager, rent was half off.

If you rented a lot and bugged prospective residents enough, you could con them into renting at your property...hence, make a lot in commission.

Cons

This is a shady company. Apartments that were the showcase/model apartments sometimes did not look like the actual apartment the resident was going to move into. The appliances would be from that of the 70s.

Working for a company that I didn't truly believe in was hard to sell to prospective residents. Plus, if you didn't meet your rental quotas for a few weeks, you'd be moved to a different property. It was hard knowing you couldn't settle in at the property you were working at.

"Marketing" consisted of spamming craigslists and pitchforking ads/signs on private properties like at malls and grocery store lots. I one time had to run away from mall security.