Arnold Clark

Updated September 14, 2014
2.1

Arnold Clark Chairman, President, and CEO Sir John Arnold Clark
Sir John Arnold Clark

Hard work, but good money

Former Employee - Senior Salesman  in  Stourbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Salesman in Stourbridge, England (UK)

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Well priced cars, vast choice, first class computer system very slick stock control and delivery operation.

Cons

Long hours expected especially working every weekend, most really good sales people can earn enough anywhere
    so to keep them they need a better quality of life.

Insist on staff taking enough time off so that you get 100% out of them when they are at work, and they don't
    get jaded, you want customer loyalty as it costs money to attract new customers, how much does it cost to
    recruit and train new staff? better to try and retain the existing ones, the grass is rarer greener etc.

Absolute Joke

Former Employee - IT Support  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Support in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time for more than a year

Pros

Personally my manager tries to do what he can for you.

Cons

Most of the male staff are sexist, misogynistic, rude, man children. This is the IT dept and the systems that are in place are absolutely terrible and have no right being in a supposed modern technology environment. The directors would rather spend money on gadgets rather than upgrading their core systems and some teams are treated like Kings while others are treated like prisoners. If you are looking for a job in IT I suggest you stay as far away as you can from this company as it just isn't worth your time nor your health.

Stop treating members of your staff like crap and others like they are a blessing to be with the company. Stop spending IT money on gadgets that add nothing but more crap to support. Some of the people in the IT office have machines older than 10 years. Upgrade your core before upgrading anything else.

Culture of deception and bullying

Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR
    Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary was fair, free tea and coffee

Cons

Negative atmosphere in both branches that I worked in. Separation between Sales, Service and Parts departments, with a blame culture present in both places. Internal computer systems slowed processes down and created problems which aggravated anxious customers further. Experienced abuse from customers most days, but sadly, I felt the reasons for their aggression were valid, as customers were often lied to by Sales staff and management. Long hours with no managerial support. Both managers I worked with thought it was acceptable to hide in their offices all day and issue targets from the back, with no managerial structure or presence for staff to feel supported and no guidance or direction in how to fulfil targets that had been issued.

Stop lying to customers and promising things that can't be delivered. Value the staff that you have and provide support and guidance. Demand better IT systems and processes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work but rewarding in many ways

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time for more than a year

Pros

Earning potential, fun, sociable, fast

Cons

Work life balance, time off

spray painter

Former Employee - Body Repair Spray Painter  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Body Repair Spray Painter in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time for more than a year

Pros

initially the role was rather interesting, learning new skills such as mixing paint, repairing small dents, applying primer, refurbishing alloy wheels, ordering stock.

Cons

However, the role became rather mundane and i began to feel like a clog in a wheel, almost robotic like and thus decided that this job was no longer for me.

Like being in high school.

Current Employee - Partsman Apprentice  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Partsman Apprentice in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time for more than a year

Pros

Offered me the chance at a trade.

Cons

Dealing with senior members of staff that write derogatory things about my mother. If they do that about staff's family members think how bad genuine customers get it. Yes it happens!

Don't mix up your friends with your employees. Being a manager is about leading staff, praising them for the good and scolding them for the bad. Not trying to cover up for them writing comments about someone's mother on internal invoices.

Enjoyable in the most but at times extremely challenging!

Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - SERVICE ADVISOR in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company that, at the highest level, has a good ethos. The company tries to do well and has good vision. Compensation is appropriate for the job roles.

Cons

Opertunity to progress your career only appear if your "face fits". Many leadership roles are fillied with bullies, who surround themselves with young, inexperienced and effectivly disposable staff, especially in the Aftersales division. People who are genuinely bad at the job and lack customer service skills seem to escape notice.

Restructure management, especially in the Aftersales/Servicing side of the business. Ensure that all staff adhere to the principles of great customer service.

Absolute Joke of a company!

Former Employee - Business Trainer  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Trainer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nothing and if I wrote anything it's only cause you asked. Any 50% off hire car is out weighted by the cons in the business.

Cons

Lack of training, direction, vision or leadership. The worst place I've worked and I've been across many industries and environments. Policies are not shared and then they expect you to know why you've broken the 'rules'. Unfair treatment across levels of the organisation. No performance management process used. No training of staff and high targets to be achieved for many across the business.

Try to motivate your staff and appreciate the work that they do.

Sales advisor

Current Employee - Sales Advisor  in  Paisley, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Paisley, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Arnold Clark full-time for less than a year

Pros

None really, money can be quite good & wages are uncapped, but realistically the staff turnaround rate is horrendous. Big company with no idea how to keep customers.

Cons

Unproffesional management at branch level, terrible morale & intense bullying culture within sales department. Managers are unrelible & training structure for new recruits is terrible. Rules are made adhoc and then broken or adjusted to suit when needed. Total joke of a company to work for. Basically the managements opinion is do what they say or they fine your commission bonus without any structure or right of appeal. An undercover reporter would have a field day in the sales department much to the disgust of its customers & senior management

Prepare for boredom and bullying

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Arnold Clark full-time for more than a year

Pros

company car and a handfull of decent people

Cons

Very long hours ignorant managers and old fashioned culture of psychological torture to get sales execs to meet targets. I was there for a couple of years and the only people making decent money had been there for ten years. When I took the job two years ago the basic salary was £8000, which is probably the worst you could get. They recently doubled the salary but only for new people starting, the current staff were not given pay rise, which is probably illegal, Anyone know? I left because they started employing people with no experience giving them twice my salary. Most of your wages is commision so when you have a bad month you dont get paid much.

Worked for Arnold Clark? Contribute to the Community!