Arnold Transportation

Updated January 7, 2015
2.6

Todd Smith

poor management

I worked at Arnold Transportation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

fellow employees were good to work with

Cons

poor management, brought baggage from failed company to Arnold bringing it down too

Arnold's equipment turned me into a caged animal.

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Arnold Transportation

Pros

The best I found while driving for Arnold was the shower rooms at ATL terminal.

Cons

Those baby Peterbilts suck! No personal room or storage for gear. Bed/cot is width-size of park bench. After spending drive shift in a constricted posture, unable to strectch out during sleep. Must unpack bunk to cockpit area when off duty and then move evrything back to sleeper at drive time. Consequently spend more time searching for items as no place to put anything and nothing is ever in its place. Cockpit contains one cupholder and one ashtray...where to put phone, waterbottle(if coffee still in cup), a pen, gum??? Dashboard too narrow to hold standard sized mapbook. The worst...no place to set down food while eating. Holding a sytrofoam container in hand while trying to use plasticware utensils as you sit crosslegged on bunk (just like eating on the ground at a campfire every day). There's not one flat surface in the unit to use as workspace/desktop. No window or wall vents in sleeper area...living in a coffin 14-16 days at a time/solitary confinement. I went to bed angry and woke up angry every day for seven months...really created a psychological rift for me...still bitter and can't shake the feeling of daily torture I underwent driving for Arnold. Arnold was an assualt on my dignity. I should start paperwork for PTSD disability claim.

My experience at Arnold Transportation was favorable!

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Arnold Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement. Clear objectives.

Cons

New Leadership. Some upper level managers did not meet deadlines causing difficulty for others to complete their jobs in a timely manner. They were still figuring out the best path for the company, but there was marked improvement.

Make sure upper management is meeting deadlines so the rest of the employees can do there jobs properly.

exemplary

I have been working at Arnold Transportation

Pros

follows up on their promises

Cons

sometimes have long wait for repairs

I like it.

Current Employee - Class A Driver in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Class A Driver in Grand Prairie, TX

I have been working at Arnold Transportation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back company. Once you work here for a while people will know you by name and not truck number. If you are a runner they will run you.

Cons

With arnold trying to break from usx the miles dropped. Mechanics (daytime) don't work on the trucks. They will say it's fixed and it's not. Unorganized...you get a load with the wrong pu number, or you get a load that was supposed to be picked up a week ago to be delivered tomorrow.

Listen to the drivers. Some dispatchers don't want anything to escalate past their heads so they will say what we want to hear to keep it "hush hush". Make sure mechanics are fixing the trucks...we get tired of leaving the yard and 2 days later have to come back because of the same problem.

Worst place I ever worked as a Fleet Manager after hours.

Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Arnold Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None that I can truthfully tell about. South East Region (Jacksonville, Atlanta, Duncan,SC) recently taken over by US Xpress Enterprises but I do not believe they can deliver what they promise either.

Cons

Planners treat drivers like they are machines instead of people. Driver Managers lie at seems like every opportunity, very little communication, put you on hold and forget about you, deny home time. Terribly maintained equipment, many cases of bed bugs reported. I am sorry that I ever had to work there, and count it a blessing to be gone from this company.

You will soon fold due to your fleet manager's inattention to their driver's needs. Without them, you don't need customers. Walk the talk.

most likely will stay here till i'm done driving

Current Employee - Dedicated Driver
    Current Employee - Dedicated Driver

I have been working at Arnold Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

decent pay.i'm on a dedicated run now,home daily and weekends,my driver liason looks out for us and i love my dispatcher....also i can switch back to otr or sw regional if i want,my boxer dog rides with me,i can have my grandson ride along....

Cons

EXTREMELY disorganized...planners have no idea whatsoever about how to plan the time on loads,i don't think any of them really have a grasp of truck driving...planners/dispatch want you to flip flop back and forth...day time today,all night tomorrow..when u are otr you are constantly getting stuck on 150-300 mile runs..trucks breakdown and you don't get ANYTHING for the first 34 hrs

hire some TRUCK drivers....talk to the planners...REALISTIC run time would be nice..STOP the damned flip flopping of our hours..consistant miles would also help you keep ppl that are worth a damn...1200 one week , 2300 the next..then maybe 2800 ...that doesn't work...this is why i went dedicated.also? a raise once or twice a yr would be greatly appreciated.

Not the company for the professional driver or operational worker looking to stay.

Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Arnold Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Had a great schedule. Pay was decent.

Cons

Where to start... the drivers are not considered as they should be. They are treated poorly over all. Home time policy is very tight. Planners have no idea what they are doing. The planners focus on their areas with no concern for the drivers. I saw many changes in positions in 8 months there. Supervisors were moved, planners were constantly swapped out, management was constantly shifting. You can't expect people to master their positions if they move constantly. Trucks are baby Pete's with no room for the drivers. Breakdowns are everyday in multitude. They will hire any driver, they do not care if he is a professional or not. The Pres, Vice Pres and Director all came from the bankrupt Link America. I was laid off with 23 others due to the company losing 150 drivers. That's about $75k per day. That alone proves poor management.

Take a look at other large trucking companies that are thriving. No need to reinvent the wheel. Do what is making other people money. Don't over complicate it. Keep it simple. A truck needs to go A to B, safely, with realistic transit times, and decent miles for the driver. Have CSR's focus on 300-700 mile runs. Only book what is good for the drivers and that will turn into profit. Increase the pay for the drivers and increase the requirements to be a driver. Think before you jump. Don't just make a crazy decisions and then run with it. Study it out and go into big changes with a plan. I have seen this company try things that other companies thrive at, and you fail. Why?

...and most importantly... ask your fleet managers why you are losing drivers. To sit at the top and assume you understand the day to day and what actually effects the driver is impossible to know unless you ask. Stop working against your Operations Dept and work with them.

This job has worked perfectly to allow me to work and still go to school full-time.

Current Employee - Breakdown Advisor in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Breakdown Advisor in Grand Prairie, TX

I have been working at Arnold Transportation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work with various different companies, numerous different people with various cultures and backgrounds, and communicate with truck drivers. This company does very well accommodating my school schedule that has allowed me to work full-time to support my family while still going to school full-time to graduate as soon as possible.

Cons

The company is open 24/7 so sometimes the graveyard shift can be hard if a person isn't used to that kind of sleeping schedule. Since the company mostly deals with truck drivers who are hauling loads all over the United States, some of them get very frustrated with their trucks break down and interrupts their schedules and communication with them can be difficult at times.

Management has been very understanding and wonderful with my school schedule.

Poor Decision making is Driving us down Fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Arnold Transportation full-time

Pros

They are buying new equipment for the drivers and trying to get some dedicated runs set up for the drivers but the Office environmnet is a little stressed at the moment

Cons

Good company in the past but recently with the changes we have gone through not so much so any more. For the last 6 months have seen many employees that been with the company in management positions for almost 20 years leaving and the bleeding hasn't stopped yet.. The pay is not where it should be for office employees and there is way too much micromanagement going on. Jacksonville has always been considered the corporate office of the company and since buying out Link America everything has since shifted to Grand Prairie as far as the Upper level management and we feel somewhat left out of the loop here in Jacksonville and are really beginning to wonder if we should be worrying about whether or not the will be a job here tomorrow or not.

Stop with the micro managing and get the people into the office we need to reduce the workload on each individual in the office or increase the pay. Hire annalist to handle the reports that you need so that the information you are asking for isnt skewed by having 30 people trying to provide information for the same reports at different times.