Arnold Transportation

Todd Smith

My experience

Current Employee - Northeasr Regional Driver in Duncan, SC
    Current Employee - Northeasr Regional Driver in Duncan, SC

I have been working at Arnold Transportation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Arnold provides the best equipment on the market to do the jopb with. my fleet manager worked with me to provide the miles I needed to make a living. She also made sure I had home time not only for the 343hr reset, but, to make sure I had time for relaxation. When I got sick, Arnold made sure I was properly taken care of. They didn't leave me hanging out in the middle of nowhere. They are a major company that takes care of their drivers.

Cons

You had the usual problems that all trucking companies have. Time consuming loads, Heavy loads, customer indifference., getting equipment repaired in a timely manner. But overall I had no complaints

n/a

I like it.

Current Employee - Class A Driver in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Class A Driver in Grand Prairie, TX

I have been working at Arnold Transportation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back company. Once you work here for a while people will know you by name and not truck number. If you are a runner they will run you.

Cons

With arnold trying to break from usx the miles dropped. Mechanics (daytime) don't work on the trucks. They will say it's fixed and it's not. Unorganized...you get a load with the wrong pu number, or you get a load that was supposed to be picked up a week ago to be delivered tomorrow.

Listen to the drivers. Some dispatchers don't want anything to escalate past their heads so they will say what we want to hear to keep it "hush hush". Make sure mechanics are fixing the trucks...we get tired of leaving the yard and 2 days later have to come back because of the same problem.

most likely will stay here till i'm done driving

Current Employee - Dedicated Driver
    Current Employee - Dedicated Driver

I have been working at Arnold Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

decent pay.i'm on a dedicated run now,home daily and weekends,my driver liason looks out for us and i love my dispatcher....also i can switch back to otr or sw regional if i want,my boxer dog rides with me,i can have my grandson ride along....

Cons

EXTREMELY disorganized...planners have no idea whatsoever about how to plan the time on loads,i don't think any of them really have a grasp of truck driving...planners/dispatch want you to flip flop back and forth...day time today,all night tomorrow..when u are otr you are constantly getting stuck on 150-300 mile runs..trucks breakdown and you don't get ANYTHING for the first 34 hrs

hire some TRUCK drivers....talk to the planners...REALISTIC run time would be nice..STOP the damned flip flopping of our hours..consistant miles would also help you keep ppl that are worth a damn...1200 one week , 2300 the next..then maybe 2800 ...that doesn't work...this is why i went dedicated.also? a raise once or twice a yr would be greatly appreciated.

Not the company for the professional driver or operational worker looking to stay.

Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Arnold Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Had a great schedule. Pay was decent.

Cons

Where to start... the drivers are not considered as they should be. They are treated poorly over all. Home time policy is very tight. Planners have no idea what they are doing. The planners focus on their areas with no concern for the drivers. I saw many changes in positions in 8 months there. Supervisors were moved, planners were constantly swapped out, management was constantly shifting. You can't expect people to master their positions if they move constantly. Trucks are baby Pete's with no room for the drivers. Breakdowns are everyday in multitude. They will hire any driver, they do not care if he is a professional or not. The Pres, Vice Pres and Director all came from the bankrupt Link America. I was laid off with 23 others due to the company losing 150 drivers. That's about $75k per day. That alone proves poor management.

Take a look at other large trucking companies that are thriving. No need to reinvent the wheel. Do what is making other people money. Don't over complicate it. Keep it simple. A truck needs to go A to B, safely, with realistic transit times, and decent miles for the driver. Have CSR's focus on 300-700 mile runs. Only book what is good for the drivers and that will turn into profit. Increase the pay for the drivers and increase the requirements to be a driver. Think before you jump. Don't just make a crazy decisions and then run with it. Study it out and go into big changes with a plan. I have seen this company try things that other companies thrive at, and you fail. Why?

...and most importantly... ask your fleet managers why you are losing drivers. To sit at the top and assume you understand the day to day and what actually effects the driver is impossible to know unless you ask. Stop working against your Operations Dept and work with them.

This job has worked perfectly to allow me to work and still go to school full-time.

Current Employee - Breakdown Advisor in Grand Prairie, TX
    Current Employee - Breakdown Advisor in Grand Prairie, TX

I have been working at Arnold Transportation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work with various different companies, numerous different people with various cultures and backgrounds, and communicate with truck drivers. This company does very well accommodating my school schedule that has allowed me to work full-time to support my family while still going to school full-time to graduate as soon as possible.

Cons

The company is open 24/7 so sometimes the graveyard shift can be hard if a person isn't used to that kind of sleeping schedule. Since the company mostly deals with truck drivers who are hauling loads all over the United States, some of them get very frustrated with their trucks break down and interrupts their schedules and communication with them can be difficult at times.

Management has been very understanding and wonderful with my school schedule.

Poor Decision making is Driving us down Fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Arnold Transportation full-time

Pros

They are buying new equipment for the drivers and trying to get some dedicated runs set up for the drivers but the Office environmnet is a little stressed at the moment

Cons

Good company in the past but recently with the changes we have gone through not so much so any more. For the last 6 months have seen many employees that been with the company in management positions for almost 20 years leaving and the bleeding hasn't stopped yet.. The pay is not where it should be for office employees and there is way too much micromanagement going on. Jacksonville has always been considered the corporate office of the company and since buying out Link America everything has since shifted to Grand Prairie as far as the Upper level management and we feel somewhat left out of the loop here in Jacksonville and are really beginning to wonder if we should be worrying about whether or not the will be a job here tomorrow or not.

Stop with the micro managing and get the people into the office we need to reduce the workload on each individual in the office or increase the pay. Hire annalist to handle the reports that you need so that the information you are asking for isnt skewed by having 30 people trying to provide information for the same reports at different times.

Regional Driver

Former Employee - Regional Driver in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Regional Driver in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Arnold Transportation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Travel, benefits, pay could be better

Cons

Not enough miles when you run only Regional

There are much better trucking companies to drive for!

Former Employee - Superregional Class A in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Superregional Class A in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Arnold Transportation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Newer equipment, Breakdown dept is better than average, scheduled home time is a priority you will typically get home on your scheduled day off. prepass ezpass

Cons

$550 take home pay average for 7 day workweek away from home is definitely not worth the stress they put you through. Dispatch treats drivers like second class citizens. Chasing empty trailers for no pay so that you can get load. They have you drive during the day the next you are driving at night no wonder i was tired all the time. Detention pay you give them the first 2 hours free then they pay you $12.50 an hour after that which works out to $4.10 / hr after 3 hours waiting. you get 14 days on and 2 days off and that starts as soon as you park the truck the countdown begins IE... you park the truck on Thursday at 3 pm they want you back in the truck on Saturday at 3 pm. Management considers their 115% turnover rate to be very good, what does that tell you! Truck goes in the shop in Jacksonville terminal count on 3 days off with no pay! Average length of haul is 350 to 400 miles plan on bumping a dock everyday.
    Like light loads look else where you will be hauling heavy 85% of the time like big paper rolls and recycled cardboard. Company bought Mid roof Pete's WITH NO room for the otr drivers because they are lighter so they can pull very heavy 46500 loads that will scale with a 1/4 fuel tank.

Management you every heard of circadian rhythm? Well you should maybe if you stop switching back and forth between days and nights for you drivers your accident rates will go down. You company CSA scores are not exactly something to brag about! With driver retention rates such as yours drivers can do much better elsewhere with companies that pay and treat their drivers what they are really worth!

Was a great company when I started working for them.

I have been working at Arnold Transportation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the employees are great to work with.

Cons

No increase in salary for the last 10 years, upper management doesn't seem to be interested in "getting back to our roots" like they keep saying, decisions are being made that appear to be running the company into the ground.

Listen to the employees instead of other upper management. The "town hall" meetings are basically a joke since all questions are to be vetted by HR before they are asked. Why is it that all the new upper management is coming from a company that went bankrupt due to poor management? At this point, it appears that Arnold won't be around very long at this rate.

This Place needs help

Current Employee - Dedicated Driver in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Dedicated Driver in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Arnold Transportation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dedicated, home nightly. Not much to say here.

Cons

Very poor benefits, no paid holidays, no vacstion for drivers, no where near enough equipnent, what equipment we do have is constantly breaking down, Planners and Dispatchers don't have a clue what it takes to get loads picked up and delivered on time. Management cares about lining their own pockets and could careless for the drivers well being.

Wake up and see who really makes the money for this company. If not for us drivers you wouldn't have a job yourself. Start treating your drivers better or you will lose all the good ones and be left with nothing.