Arnold Worldwide Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

2.9

Robert LePlae

Pros
  • Great people, embraces their culture (in 11 reviews)

• A few great clients, some fantastic creative directors, and an overall friendly work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours are long - late nights and weekends on the regular (in 5 reviews)

• Poor senior management that doesn't have a clue what is really going on (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Agency -- Going through Transition

Current Employee - Account Supervisor  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Supervisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Arnold Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun accounts to work on
    Great leadership at a team level.

Cons

When I left Arnold was clearly going through a poorly planned organizational change. They didn't know how to differentiate themselves and they switched Account Service titles around to names that were non-competitive. The clients noticed and as you may have heard have started to leave in droves.

Great place to Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Arnold Worldwide as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn from other people, it opened a lot of doors for me. Great culture and fun events. Get to know the other interns really well.

Cons

Sometimes the work you get is a bit mundane. It's easy to feel stuck after a month or so without anything to do.

If you want to hire on an intern, let them know before the last day of their internship. They are probably job searching already and it would be nice to know.

Intern during spring semester.

I worked at Arnold Worldwide as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Interesting and smart employees that want to help you learn and give you a taste of the different types of work available. Nice and inviting culture.

Cons

No continuous flow of work when you are a part-time intern and only at the office twice a week. In that way, it was hard to understand what kind of impact the work I was doing would have.

More structured fall/spring internship program.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a decent place to work, but there are caveats

I worked at Arnold Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Almost everyone is willing to roll up their sleeves and pitch in

Cons

It's a pretty political culture and there seems to be a good deal of back room conversations that are dragging morale down. Creatively, they haven't had a solid breakthrough/breakout campaign since they created 'Flo' for Progressive and its hurting them when it comes to attracting/winning new clients.

Champion great work and protect your people - the two happen to be intrinsically related

Arnold Internship

Former Employee - Business Development Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Arnold Worldwide as an intern for less than a year

Pros

interns received great exposure to multiple agency teams. Treated as part of the team and given meaningful assignments to complete with realistic deadlines. Great environment and culture overall.

Cons

Internship was unpaid- policy has evidently changed since.

Encourage exposure to multiple agency teams so interns don't feel pigeon-holed.

Great Work. No Direction

Current Employee - Art Director  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Art Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Arnold Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great creative team, and the culture is pretty fun.

Cons

Lack of over-all direction and lack of focus leads to misguided projects. The thin team is also leading to very long work hours

Not a lot of communication or collaboration going on.

Ad agency that doesn't value its employees equally.

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Arnold Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good location, nice office space.

Cons

Account teams get the short end of the stick. All perks at the company are geared toward the creative groups.

All flash and no humanity.

Former Employee - Assistant Producer  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Producer in Boston, MA

I worked at Arnold Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool work-life benefits, although many never (ever) are able to take advantage of them due to being overworked (and under-appreciated).

Cons

Arnold works their employees (who aren't in the creative department), and especially who are in the production department, to death. And being someone who had a very serious illness when I worked there years ago, I will tell you that the HR department broke so many laws, I could have sued there pants off, or done an expose or documentary about it that changed their business drastically. That's not my style, but I will share so others are aware. They did things like sent me letters the day before they were due to be returned, and then said they would NEVER fire someone for being seriously ill, but I just wasn't complying with their rules (they sent me a letter on a Thurs. post-marked at 5:30pm, that arrived to my house a mere 36 hours later on Saturday, that was supposedly due to them on Fri. (yes less than 12 hours after they put it in the mail to me). And there were dozens and dozens of things like that. And they didn't accept doctor's letters (when I was on the verge of dying and in the hospital) because they weren't on COLOR letterhead. (The hospital didn't even have color letterhead. It was all B&W). Anyway, not a nice HR department at all. Think of that VERY mean woman in Harry Potter who makes the students cut their arms - then add the level of humanity of, ok to stick with the silly HP reference, Voldemort. But worse.

Learn that your employees are the REASON your company is successful. And learn some true humanity, instead of just flashy things that make your company look cool. Be much (much) more kind and honest. That is my advice.

Great learning experience, low pay

I worked at Arnold Worldwide full-time

Pros

- Ability to work on major brands
    - Rewarding work. Got to see on a national platform.
    - Very active job: expect to be constantly busy
    - Surprisingly fun atmosphere for a large corporation
    - Employee camaraderie
    - Solid HR benefits/perks
    - Great location

Cons

- Grueling hours. In some jobs, expect to work weekends and until 9 or 10 at night.
    - Arnold is a large brand in the advertising world and can get away with underpaying employees
    - Advancement in the company takes years. Very little incentive for company to promote people, as that requires raises.
    - Disparity in pay between equally ranked employees is common (but that's pretty much the case in all companies these days.)
    - Copywriters are king in this company. Some of the behavior I witnessed was insanely juvenile. Had any other employee attempted their stunts, HR would have reprimanded. Never once saw a copywriter held accountable for inexcusable behavior.
    - Gross disparity of workloads between departments. Obviously, impressing clients is important to maintaining relationships. As a result, there were far more employees on the client relationship side than on the production, writing, project management side. Oddly, the Account Team members tended to have higher starting salaries despite the lower workload.

Stop slashing employee benefits. Distribute work more evenly. Pay better.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Arnold Worldwide as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great experience, opportunities to work on client facing projects

Cons

Didn't hire from intern class

Build junior level talent

Worked for Arnold Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!