AroundCampus

AroundCampus Reviews in Chapel Hill, NC

Updated Jun 23, 2014

AroundCampus President John O'Brien

John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship(in 12 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, you're expected to put in long hours(in 20 reviews)

• Hard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell(in 10 reviews)

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good experience

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsWorking as an intern is amazing experience if you want to delve into the wold of sales, if not than do not take the job.

ConsCompensation for sales and weekly pay is very low in my own opinion.

Advice to Senior Managementcreate better communications with your employees

Good Entry-level Experience

Inside Sales (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsHands-on work experience, friendly environment, managers/supervisors are very approachable and willing to offer advice. Contests in the sales department and pretty casual dress. Decent summer job, internship during college, or first "real-world" position.

ConsFor the inside sales department, some calls may be cold calls. Occasionally you'll encounter less-than-satisfied customers. Fair amount of rejections which you'll need to counter. The summer gets pretty hectic.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe mobile app and coupons are great ideas, but as a college student who used the planner all 4 years I honestly had no idea until I began working at UD that these pages existed. Often while redeeming a coupon businesses remark that they don't receive many from customers. I've actually been thanked multiple times for redeeming the offer. I think the app and print coupons are theoretically sound, but the app is admittedly finicky, and the planner deals could be advertised better. I'd suggest 1) better visibility of the physical coupons (i.e. a starburst on the planner cover) and 2) emphasizing to clients their role in promoting the coupon via social media, etc.

Additionally, from working in ISD I'd really recommend reaching out to customers before inside sales resumes and an increasingly forward approach to touching base with clients. Many customers responded that my call about a sale was the first they'd heard from UD since renewing or signing a contract over the summer. Taking initiative and reaching out to customers, asking for feedback and offering to promote their deals prior to selling emphasizes that the advertisement is a relationship, not just a sale. Additionally, a few minutes over the course of a couple months would undoubtedly lead to more successful advertising. This would greatly help customer retention. Better client retention would in turn benefit summer sales, many of which came way too late creating artwork problems.

Once in a lifetime opportunity

Regional Manager (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

Pros- lots of responsibility
    - great company culture
    - management cares about every employee and works hard to keep a ongoing learning environment
    - lots of travel under the companies dime
    - opportunities to move up in management
    - young managers get to recruit, hire, train, and manage multiple college interns

Cons- non stop working
    - every one is young
    - needs more innovative products

Advice to Senior Management- look into innovative, new, and fresh ideas

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredible Opportunity

Regional Manager (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsProvides real world experience, great responsibility, and opens many doors for future employment with the company as well with Career Partners and many other corporations. The company truly values each employee and is open to listening to all ideas. The UD experience is like no other and provides many opportunities to further develop and enhance both professional and sales skills whether you are an intern or in a management posotion.

ConsThe company believes in hiring from within so everyone starts at intern level.

Great Opportunity!!!

Regional Manager (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

Pros-Great company culture
    -Strong ethics and values
    -Management is very accessible
    -Challenged to do our best work
    -Motivating enviornment
    -Promotion/Advancement Opportunities within 1-2 years
    -Have the ability to impact and shape the future of college students
    -Opportunities to travel the United States

ConsThis is not an 8-5 job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing. You make UD a great place to work at!

Amazing opportunity for professional growth and development

Regional Manager (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsAs a sales rep, you learn first hand how to be successful working B2B and handling yourself professionally. If you get to return for a second summer as an ASM, you have the opportunity to travel and experience multiple college campuses while getting invaluable experience as a manager and motivator. All of the managers have done the internship position before, and are always eager to give advice and help you out if you ask.

ConsIt's hard work and not at all an easy job, you'll hear "no" a lot. There are a lot of challenges and sometimes failures, but you can learn a lot from it.

Amazing opportunity right out of college

Regional Manager (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsOpportunity to hold a lot of responsibility at a young age. You are responsible for recruiting, training and managing 40+ interns in multiple college markets. You will gain real-world experience in management at a young age. The company culture is second to none, great work environment!!

ConsHaving a million dollar goal at 24 years old can be a lot of pressure, but I love the challenge!

Tons of Growth & Networking Opportunities!!!

Regional Manager (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

Pros-Positive & Fun Company Culture--Fast-paced, Goal-oriented
    -Promotional opportunities within 1-2 years
    -Actively challenges young professionals into leaders
    -Above average salary plus bonuses
    -Travel opportunities
    -Wide network of professional relationships
    -Constantly growing & seeking new opportunities

Cons-Required to move to NC.

I enjoyed my summer working there because I loved the people, but I don't think I walked away with good experience

Customer Relations Service Intern (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsGreat customer service experience
    Gain an understanding of sales without having to do it yourself
    Great people to work with
    Learn a lot about time management and multitasking

ConsLow pay
    Frustrating because others may put in less effort and receive the same rewards
    Not a very difficult or challenging internship

Advice to Senior ManagementHire less interns and pay more... they will get the work done. There is a lack of motivation to do the various tasks with the amount of effort desired by management

Regional Manager

Regional Manager (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsThere are great people, good learning experience and fun traveling.

ConsThe pay is small and there is very few promotion opportunities

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!