AroundCampus

Updated October 21, 2014
3.5

AroundCampus President John O'Brien
John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship (in 14 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Long Hours: You are required to work 40 hours per week (in 25 reviews)

• In the area I was in it was hard to sell because the product isn't as well known (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Internship Opportunity

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, great learning opportunity, and a great atmosphere makes this a top place for someone who is interested in getting into sales and needs some experience.

Cons

Some of the tasks can be a little mundane sometimes. However, you are essentially helping out the bigger executives to make money so whatever you do is really important to the company.

I'd do the internship again.

Former Employee - Project Design Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Project Design Specialist in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

If you're like me and were tragically born missing a trust fund, it's nice to work over the summer to get some money and job experience. As far as opportunities go, I think this is probably one of the more legit ones.

* They won't have you selling knives that can cut pennies in half (you don't need one anyway, you don't have a trust fund, remember?) and you even get your own cubical if you're a Project Design Specialist.
    * You get an hour paid lunch. You might end up working through it most days during the July rush, but that's more of a personal choice then a hard requirement.
    * The company makes a real effort to have a fun culture. I think they genuinely enjoy having students from as many college as possible. There are college emblems everywhere.
    * The supervisors all seemed like very kind person. You don't have to fear having an impersonal slave driving boss(wo)man.

Cons

* As deadline season (July) approaches, things many get a little intense. I can not emphasises enough that no one is ever required to stay past standard working hours (8:30-5:30, with flexible 1 hour paid lunch break) though you will probably have teammates who are staying late, and this may make you feel a little obligated to chip in extra too. In a good way though I suppose.
    * Pay is a little low.
    * Computers are riddled with issues, especially for design based jobs.
    * This is a (generally attractive) female dominated internship. Sounds pretty cool for the guys, at least at first, but if you're more of an introvert like me, and can be hard to make and keep work friends with so few guys in your bro-mediate area. It's still possible if you can friends in other departments however.

Get some new computers. I specially advised that mine should be thrown into a volcano when my internship ended.
    When you talk about opportunities to be brought on full time, make sure you mention the actual job probably won't start until the start of the following summer. This makes the internship only valuable as a "foot in the door" to those who still have a year left of school if they want a job to graduate to.

Great workplace environment, positive and productive

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great leadership, awesome people to work with every day. Experienced a lot of personal growth throughout the workdays and entire summer

Cons

Not too many cons. Was quite time consuming for the wage, however the internship is geared towards personal and career growth.

Include more balance in the training program, build more value to the products offered.

Unfortunate

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great resume builder, most companies require internships or some work-related experience. Training is the best part, it's where you get like 3 hours of sleep a night but it's fun because all of the interns are there.

Cons

Long hours and the pay is basically $4 an hour. The $200 weekly they pay you will be spent on gas. They say you make commission after $2400 but you actually have to sale over $16,000 to get 15% of sales after that (which most people don't do) they also didn't pay us the full $2400. Managers are nice at first then get really pushy and mean.

Stop letting inside sales sale so much, you're taking away from the hard-working interns who are out in the heat working hard and burning gas.

Good experience

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working as an intern is amazing experience if you want to delve into the wold of sales, if not than do not take the job.

Cons

Compensation for sales and weekly pay is very low in my own opinion.

create better communications with your employees

Good Entry-level Experience

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at AroundCampus as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Hands-on work experience, friendly environment, managers/supervisors are very approachable and willing to offer advice. Contests in the sales department and pretty casual dress. Decent summer job, internship during college, or first "real-world" position.

Cons

For the inside sales department, some calls may be cold calls. Occasionally you'll encounter less-than-satisfied customers. Fair amount of rejections which you'll need to counter. The summer gets pretty hectic.

The mobile app and coupons are great ideas, but as a college student who used the planner all 4 years I honestly had no idea until I began working at UD that these pages existed. Often while redeeming a coupon businesses remark that they don't receive many from customers. I've actually been thanked multiple times for redeeming the offer. I think the app and print coupons are theoretically sound, but the app is admittedly finicky, and the planner deals could be advertised better. I'd suggest 1) better visibility of the physical coupons (i.e. a starburst on the planner cover) and 2) emphasizing to clients their role in promoting the coupon via social media, etc.

Additionally, from working in ISD I'd really recommend reaching out to customers before inside sales resumes and an increasingly forward approach to touching base with clients. Many customers responded that my call about a sale was the first they'd heard from UD since renewing or signing a contract over the summer. Taking initiative and reaching out to customers, asking for feedback and offering to promote their deals prior to selling emphasizes that the advertisement is a relationship, not just a sale. Additionally, a few minutes over the course of a couple months would undoubtedly lead to more successful advertising. This would greatly help customer retention. Better client retention would in turn benefit summer sales, many of which came way too late creating artwork problems.

Once in a lifetime opportunity

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- lots of responsibility
    - great company culture
    - management cares about every employee and works hard to keep a ongoing learning environment
    - lots of travel under the companies dime
    - opportunities to move up in management
    - young managers get to recruit, hire, train, and manage multiple college interns

Cons

- non stop working
    - every one is young
    - needs more innovative products

- look into innovative, new, and fresh ideas

Incredible Opportunity

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Provides real world experience, great responsibility, and opens many doors for future employment with the company as well with Career Partners and many other corporations. The company truly values each employee and is open to listening to all ideas. The UD experience is like no other and provides many opportunities to further develop and enhance both professional and sales skills whether you are an intern or in a management posotion.

Cons

The company believes in hiring from within so everyone starts at intern level.

Great Opportunity!!!

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great company culture
    -Strong ethics and values
    -Management is very accessible
    -Challenged to do our best work
    -Motivating enviornment
    -Promotion/Advancement Opportunities within 1-2 years
    -Have the ability to impact and shape the future of college students
    -Opportunities to travel the United States

Cons

This is not an 8-5 job.

Keep doing what your doing. You make UD a great place to work at!

Amazing opportunity for professional growth and development

I have been working at AroundCampus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a sales rep, you learn first hand how to be successful working B2B and handling yourself professionally. If you get to return for a second summer as an ASM, you have the opportunity to travel and experience multiple college campuses while getting invaluable experience as a manager and motivator. All of the managers have done the internship position before, and are always eager to give advice and help you out if you ask.

Cons

It's hard work and not at all an easy job, you'll hear "no" a lot. There are a lot of challenges and sometimes failures, but you can learn a lot from it.