AroundCampus

AroundCampus Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

AroundCampus President John O'Brien

John O'Brien

Pros
  • You really learn a lot about yourself and how hard you work because this is the whole internship(in 12 reviews)

• The training program in Chapel Hill allows you to meet lots of other students from across the country(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance, you're expected to put in long hours(in 20 reviews)

• Hard hard hard job, basically no pay, advertising is outdated and hard to sell(in 10 reviews)

The worst.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNothing much I had a pretty terrible experience

ConsLow pay, they aren't honest about what you're getting yourself into.

Great overall experience

Sales Team Leader/Sales (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosexcellent training opportunities
    great team based structure and support
    younger regional management which makes them more approachable. (all have been through the internship)

Consmost business owners aren't interested in student customers
    the pay is not great considering you have to drive all over Atlanta 5 days a week

Outside Sales Representative

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThe training was really fun. You get to meet other students/interns from different universities in the country. Obviously, they mostly hire good looking and social people. The managers really want you to succeed. You learn a lot about yourself in this position. Your determination will lead to make a sale. The CEO visited us in our location, nice guy.

ConsThe actual work was really hard especially at first. Cold calling takes a lot of guts, and could be really embarrassing. Half of my team quit within 3 weeks. Forget the training, you actually learn in the field.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internships

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsThe experience was very valuable in terms of making contacts and learning about selling to local businesses.
    Great training sessions for all interns!
    Company always created competitions to motivate sales interns.

ConsRequired to make 30 sales calls a day in the blistering heat.
    Territories aren't evenly distributed and can provide little opportunities for sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementExplore alternative ways to advertise on the behalf of local businesses. Print is dying.

Regional Manager

ProsVery hands on lots and lots of real world experiences for young people. Great internship, great company, I would do it all over in a second!

ConsFeeling over never having an ending point in a task. It however is a great challenge at the same time.

Challenging but rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to work with some really cool people your age. You really get to know tons of people from your college town.

Learning the basic art of selling is tested on a daily basis here.

ConsCold calling door to door at businesses. Some businesses see your ads as really worthless, so you have to be ready to back up your product at all times.

Good Entry-level Experience

Inside Sales (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC

ProsHands-on work experience, friendly environment, managers/supervisors are very approachable and willing to offer advice. Contests in the sales department and pretty casual dress. Decent summer job, internship during college, or first "real-world" position.

ConsFor the inside sales department, some calls may be cold calls. Occasionally you'll encounter less-than-satisfied customers. Fair amount of rejections which you'll need to counter. The summer gets pretty hectic.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe mobile app and coupons are great ideas, but as a college student who used the planner all 4 years I honestly had no idea until I began working at UD that these pages existed. Often while redeeming a coupon businesses remark that they don't receive many from customers. I've actually been thanked multiple times for redeeming the offer. I think the app and print coupons are theoretically sound, but the app is admittedly finicky, and the planner deals could be advertised better. I'd suggest 1) better visibility of the physical coupons (i.e. a starburst on the planner cover) and 2) emphasizing to clients their role in promoting the coupon via social media, etc.

Additionally, from working in ISD I'd really recommend reaching out to customers before inside sales resumes and an increasingly forward approach to touching base with clients. Many customers responded that my call about a sale was the first they'd heard from UD since renewing or signing a contract over the summer. Taking initiative and reaching out to customers, asking for feedback and offering to promote their deals prior to selling emphasizes that the advertisement is a relationship, not just a sale. Additionally, a few minutes over the course of a couple months would undoubtedly lead to more successful advertising. This would greatly help customer retention. Better client retention would in turn benefit summer sales, many of which came way too late creating artwork problems.

everyday was different!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosevery day is different which made it challenging

Consnone that I can think of

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing what your doing

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great if you want to get into sales, NOT MARKETING

Sales Team Leader (Former Employee)

Pros-Real sales experience
    -No one hovering over you, you're self directed and responsible
    -Great networking opportunity
    -The training in SC was the best part, learned a lot of great things.

Cons-Low pay
    -No work-life balance, you're expected to put in long hours
    -Hearing "no" so many times can be exhausting
    -Little growth within company

Advice to Senior ManagementStop advertising this as a marketing and advertising internship. It's not, and that's FALSE advertising. I quit after a few weeks because I was so miserable. This a sales internship. Nothing else.

Sales/Marketing Representative

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

Pros-If you do well, you will get flooded with job opportunities from the career partners of the company
    -Great hands on experience
    -Not an office job

Cons-VERY DIFFICULT, but rewarding in the end

Worked for AroundCampus? Contribute to the Community!